• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I don't watch videos. I guess thats pissed people off but calling me a piece of fucking shit over being new? fuck them and all the stuck up assholes, I don't want to play with them anyways. My favorite fights have been people laughing and making jokes on the fight and new people learning.

Is it just me or is it always tarus talking shit on people? lol

Item Box

I'll give you my perspective.

You're right, and I suppose my comment came off as somewhat elitist, especially when tanks have a piss-easy job when it comes to titan HM.

It's not that I'm having trouble with the duty finder when it comes to new players, and I'd gladly help them out, but i guess it was just(at the time of posting this)me expecting everyone else around my level to be good at something just because I am. My bad.

I'll admit that I've watched a video on one of the hard mode bosses(garuda to be exact), but only because I didn't want to enter the duty finder not knowing what to do and getting yelled at as sometimes that stuff can get to me.

Should be fun trying titan hm out again as a healer though

gatti-man

God I rarely see people talking shit on my server besides alliance trash talking in ct. But it's never really bad. People tend to be emotional and quit after 1 or two wipes though. I don't care it's just a game, fuck em.

Yea I don't watch videos. I guess thats pissed people off but calling me a piece of fucking shit over being new? fuck them and all the stuck up assholes, I don't want to play with them anyways. My favorite fights have been people laughing and making jokes on the fight and new people learning.

Is it just me or is it always tarus talking shit on people? lol

The only time I got someone who said that they didn't watch a video was during a duty roullette and were like hey lets wipe 10-15x to understand this fight (Don't remember the dungeon but I think it was pharos) and I was like man I don't have time to wipe 10x in a dungeon for you.

Alucrid

Banned
I'll give you my perspective.

This game is easy once you've had a chance to experience something (a couple tries, a couple wipes, and you learn how to beat that boss or clear that dungeon. maybe a couple more tries to know how to clear it fast). Well with duty finder, there's a good chance you'll have someone's first attempt. It's a bit of loop of people learning. I see comments about players sucking (not from anyone specifically), and I just think putting into the perspective of all your first time tries and how they went, you should be able to sympathize.

Now if you were the type that watched youtube videos on every single dungeon run and boss to be able to prepare for it, fair enough, but some people want to have the experience of trying and learning.

Everyone has been really nice I met in general (except a couple one offs) and no one has freaked out on me for being new, but I do see a bit of elitism with comments all over the game, and wanted to just point out perspective.

And if you are tired of playing with new players, then the only option is forming a static group. I understand that frustration, but some sympathy (not saying you don't have any, just a general comment) is also nice.

*I went on a bit of a rant. Sorry about that. I have just reached end game and been feeling bad every time I do an event as it's new to me and it's inconveniencing others (they don't say it or anything, as everyone has been nice).

I don't care if you're new, but I hate when people don't say so at the start of an instance, don't communicate with the group at all or simply refuse to learn from their mistakes.

aceface

I also hate the idea of having to watch videos before a fight. Getting stuff thrown at you in the heat of battle is half the fun. On the other hand I can see the frustration other players would have with multiple wipes. The solution to this is never do a raid for the first time on DF, either get a group willing to help a first timer on the FC or go to PF and post something like "lol I'm new and I suck come help for a hilarious time." Now if there's no one willing to help new players in those situations, that's when I would say the community is bad.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Roe naming conventions in this game are pretty crazy. I ended up going with Mhaslona Grehfyrwyn after hitting the random name button 50 times, but I don't think I like the name.

I suck at picking names in general, so I don't know what the hell to name my character.

Alucrid

Banned
Roe naming conventions in this game are pretty crazy. I ended up going with Mhaslona Grehfyrwyn after hitting the random name button 50 times, but I don't think I like the name.

I suck at picking names in general, so I don't know what the hell to name my character.

Tam Ot

Mupod

the only videos I ever watched fully (rather than skim through quickly) were of turn 1 and titan EM. The former was only necessary because I had to lead an inexperienced pug but the latter ended up being quite useful. Videos and breakdowns can be nice to learn what you're up against but most fights I just can't learn from watching. I pretty much just have to try it for myself, turn 4 being a good example...the explanations we had were TLDR but after seeing every phase it was no problem. Of course not knowing what is ahead of you is annoying on fights where all the difficult parts come after 10 minutes of tedious crap, so I need to do more research on Twintania.

The worst I've ever seen out of the 'community' was when I was trying to learn Garuda HM as a tank in duty finder back when I first hit 50. Nobody wanted to explain anything, they just expected a one shot and everyone to follow some generally accepted strategy from god knows where. The funny thing is I DID manage to kite her through the second set of tornados just fine but everyone else ran off in random directions, died and blamed me. Just a really strange and awful experience even as someone who has never ever liked cross-server parties in mmorpgs.

I did get very lucky on Ifrit EM df though. Got into a 7 man group from Behemoth who explained exactly what they wanted me to do, didn't mind that I was new. They pointed out what I did wrong on the first attempt and from there it was fine. We timed out but they requeued with specific language settings so I could rejoin them for another one, and then we got it down in 2 pulls.

Mupod

I could understand tanks having trouble with the spiny plume because...how the hell are you supposed to know that it spawns with 100k aggro on a random player? Nothing in the game works like that. It's a stupid mechanic for a shitty fight.

Now pulling the sisters without mishaps is a skill you learn in garuda hm and turn 1. You shouldn't even need provoke for them.

To be honest playing a tank in this game is far less stressful than some other mmos I've played. Your job usually is not any harder than other classes, the Garudas and maybe turn 4 OT being the only exceptions I can think of (and the latter is rough on your healer too). Many fights your role is much much easier or more forgiving because random aoes won't kill you, and the infamous Titan HM is just completely braindead.

Item Box

tanking truly is a test of nerves :S

I could understand tanks having trouble with the spiny plume because...how the hell are you supposed to know that it spawns with 100k aggro on a random player? Nothing in the game works like that. It's a stupid mechanic for a shitty fight.
I don't remember the boss too well but isn't there one in AV that focuses on a random party member from time to time?

I haven't tried any of the ex primals yet, but I suppose that is dumb if there isn't any indication(an icon above the aggro'd player's head perhaps?) about what's going on

Wilsongt

I'm so glad I don't play a tank... I've had my fair share of shitty tanks in places like Halatali and Sastasha... However, last night I was in Brayflox's with a shitty tank. I consider myself to be a decent healer, and the dragon boss is a bit tough, but I shouldn't be burning through my mana as quickly as I did. It's a shame WHM don't have a mana regain ability like SCH... Or am I missing something?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Had an entire alliance leave after the Bone Dragon...

Sheesh.

DF has been pretty bad in some cases too lately. I am pretty sure this group was trolling qhon and me yesterday in Ifrit. Some of them had allagan weapons and I have a feeling a few of them were dying on purpose at certain points or simply running eruptions into people.

Ken

Sheesh.

DF has been pretty bad in some cases too lately. I am pretty sure this group was trolling qhon and me yesterday in Ifrit. Some of them had allagan weapons and I have a feeling a few of them were dying on purpose at certain points or simply running eruptions into people.

I'm preeeeeeeeeeetty sure I saw the BLM turn around and run back into an eruption. There's no way anyone can be so bad and die to the same eruption over and over.

Sheesh.

Creating demand for Ex Primals. Ppl won't buy wins if they can beat it on DF!

I'm so glad I don't play a tank... I've had my fair share of shitty tanks in places like Halatali and Sastasha... However, last night I was in Brayflox's with a shitty tank. I consider myself to be a decent healer, and the dragon boss is a bit tough, but I shouldn't be burning through my mana as quickly as I did. It's a shame WHM don't have a mana regain ability like SCH... Or am I missing something?

Shroud of Saints. Or ask a BRD to play their song that refills your MP if one is in the party. But yea WHM struggle with mp issues as opposed to a job like SCH/SMN.

Talaysen

Shroud of Saints regenerates your MP over time, but I think it's at a higher level than Brayflox.

I think it's best to use it fairly early in the fight so that it's off cooldown when you run out of MP again. I usually forget to push it until I'm low on MP though.

---

I got all my crafts up to 50 and geared them all with the best armor (the green class specific stuff + jewelry). Does anyone know how I should be melding materia into these things? I tried looking around but I see a lot of guides that use a lot of expensive materia + overmelding. Is there a decent relatively cheap alternative I could settle for or do I just need to shell out the cash?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm preeeeeeeeeeetty sure I saw the BLM turn around and run back into an eruption. There's no way anyone can be so bad and die to the same eruption over and over.

Yeah that dude ran right into me at one point, causing my death.

Mupod

The last boss of brayflox requires some basic repositioning. However the game plasters directions on the screen in front of your face so you'd basically have to be illiterate.

Wilsongt

The last boss of brayflox requires some basic repositioning. However the game plasters directions on the screen in front of your face so you'd basically have to be illiterate.

Yes, but that requires that the tank actually know what he is doing and is geared properly.

Two trips through coil and I already have 2 pieces of alagan casting gear. Good start to Coil so far. Could have had a third but I let our BLM have the ring since she was hurting on accuracy.

Kronotech

So I'm going to start gearing up my first job with Darklight. Any suggestions on what a MNK should be gearing up first? Jewelry is obviously the cheapest but I imagine going for the bigger pieces may be more beneficial?

Brannon

Today I went through my first session in Qarn, and as a White Mage, I learned that I am going to have to do some serious MP management and decide who gets what in the middle of a fight. I mean, I KNOW that the tank gets the lion's share of the healing and protection, but I can't stand seeing bars go down on any teammate; they must be topped off! And Stoneskin must be kept up on all people at all times but that's not optimal because MP is suddenly a precious commodity, and Regen and damn it I can't let those extra monsters at them so's I gotta use Repose and knock'em out and does the tank have enough HP to keep eating Cure 1 until I get a Freecure so I can go t-GET ON THE SQUARE YOU *dead*

...do I raise that guy now or keep the other two going because Raise is hella expensive...

Training wheels off I guess. It was awesome, all in all.

Ken

Today I went through my first session in Qarn, and as a White Mage, I learned that I am going to have to do some serious MP management and decide who gets what in the middle of a fight. I mean, I KNOW that the tank gets the lion's share of the healing and protection, but I can't stand seeing bars go down on any teammate; they must be topped off! And Stoneskin must be kept up on all people at all times but that's not optimal because MP is suddenly a precious commodity, and Regen and damn it I can't let those extra monsters at them so's I gotta use Repose and knock'em out and does the tank have enough HP to keep eating Cure 1 until I get a Freecure so I can go t-GET ON THE SQUARE YOU *dead*

...do I raise that guy now or keep the other two going because Raise is hella expensive...

Training wheels off I guess. It was awesome, all in all.

I just throw a regen on DPS that get hurt to patch them up.

Ploid 3.0

Wow at that tank instruction for Titan HM hah.

KP8wXYZ.png

Wilsongt

NONONONONO

Tank has to be decently geared or healer will have to spam cure 2, only on the first miniboss + adds. I healed on Brayflox with a Tank lvl 20+ gear and you'll have to spam cure 2 or he will die in 3 seconds.

Not to mention the first time on the final boss, he chose to stay right in the range of the bosses' straight line attack. So, not only was I dealing with him doing that, but also dealing with getting rid of the poison.

Yeah. We wiped that first time and the second time because the tank kept putting the boss into the poison. We finally got it the third try.

Synless

Getting armor sets is terrible. I got one piece at lvl. 15 and by the time I went through a ton of instances I still had one piece and was lvl. 21 at that point. The armor obviously isn't worth getting anymore.

klee123

Wow at that tank instruction for Titan HM hah.

I do not agree with that with regards to the bombs in phase 5. Since the arena is much smaller it's almost impossible to stand between 2 bombs like in phase 3, it would make life much easier for the healers if you can avoid them. Especially for the 3 pillars pattern.

That said, for a 1 tank 4 dps and 3 healers party, it might make life a bit easier, but the dps must be really high in order to take out the heart.

Zozobra

So I think I'm gonna jump back in and see how the new update has changed things.

From what I've seen, it seems that crafting isn't worth leveling up, is that true? That's disappointing to hear as I loved crafting in XI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom