• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatti-man

Note to self and others, don't do Duty Roulette High Level Dungeon with Join in Progress as a Tank

99.99999999999% of the time you will get thrown into Pharos Sirius
Then watch as people quit due to one boss mechanic or another they can't understand or want to learn

Seriously that dungeon is troll heaven, can't believe it drops ilvl60 gear + recycled AK gear sets
I finally saw and won a Strat Bracelet, I have run AK 100+ times never saw that thing drop ever, then the next chest dropped the Tox ring, seriously AK loot table and chest were fucking broken

Tanks are the easiest job during Titan HM, only thing you will have to worry about is not falling off the edge, HAHA!

I have had my fair share of auto lock on;lock off mistakes which made me fall >.>;

Only time you need to pop a ability is for Phase 5, by then it just every 45 sec till rotation starts anew

Why did you even unlock pharoah? I don't see a reason to at this time and my high level df is awesome.

Valus

Firstly the move is only a concern when fighting the sisters. If your DPS is high enough Chirata will never even use it. Superna uses it right after friction.

Totally easy to just back off for 1-2 seconds and them resume the murder

Quoting myself from a few posts below the one you quoted in response.

Yeah it's not that the move is hard to dodge or anything, it just goes against the producer's own words on making fights more melee friendly. Why even make it a 360 attack? Why punish melee and not ranged? I get it's supposed to hurt and put pressure on tanks, so make it a damn frontal cone then. It just makes no sense for it punish melee for just being melee while ranged get away for free.

Ken

Battle designer 1:"Hey, melee have to deal with wicked wheel, maybe we should make Friction only ranged"

Battle designer 2:"No fuck them, we didn't gave them a buff!? gotta balance it! AHAHA"

Battle designer 1:"Like we balanced PvP?"

Battle designer 2:"Exactly! HAHAHA"

Battle designer 1:"AHAHA"

something something exposed something

Tabris

On another note, do tanks really have it rough on Titan HM? I posted that funny tanking tutorial on our company website and a tank got all pissed saying that it's bs. That the tanks have to worry about healer delay, bomb drops, etc.

I just beat Titan HM for first time as tank, and compared to Garuda HM, it's nothing for tank. The only thing you have to do is watch out for rock buster and pop CD's. Which can be a bit hectic, true, especially for a newbie tank like me, but Garuda HM was all kinds of crazy in comparison.

Luckily Renault (sp? not sure on GAF name) helped me out with Garuda positioning. Took 3 tries but I now totally get it.

It would be nice if it encourages people to go with a diverse party, something like WHM, SCH, MNK/DRG, BRD, BLM, SMN, WAR and PLD. I like seeing parties like that. I don't like seeing groups give melee DPS the shaft, especially when they can be quite strong.

So what's the best method for going after the tier 5 treasure maps. do we just got to a 50 node area and just keep checking or do we just get something in the node and make it respawn or just travel to different 50 node area's till they show up

WolvenOne

Haven't mentioned it here yet, but my goal for the week is to finally clear Garuda Ex. Between holidays, Ultima, and pacing things out, I just haven't been on to many Garuda ex runs. Most the ones I have been on, have been rather brief. XD

So what's the best method for going after the tier 5 treasure maps. do we just got to a 50 node area and just keep checking or do we just get something in the node and make it respawn or just travel to different 50 node area's till they show up

Was watching a vid and it seems just going between nodes and checking for one to spawn was your best bet.

Zomba13

On another note, do tanks really have it rough on Titan HM? I posted that funny tanking tutorial on our company website and a tank got all pissed saying that it's bs. That the tanks have to worry about healer delay, bomb drops, etc.

I've tanked it and I'm a pretty shitty tank and I didn't have to move. If a tank is having problems then it's either the healers not keeping up or the tank isn't using any of his defensive cooldowns at any point.

EDIT: do people really have that much difficulty with DF CT? I've done CT with DF every time and had no probelms at all. Had some people rage quit but they've been raplced quick enough. Had some people D/C but have also been replaced. The place isn't that hard and it doesn't take a min to explain each encounter. Maybe I've been super lucky. Not everyone in every run is a nice guy but they are usually out numbered and if they are being dicks or messing things up you have about 15 people noticing and saying something and they soon stop it.

Jayhawk

If I got the Myth chest, Fuma boots, and Hero's Belt that could probably get me to accuracy cap. Thanks!

Ooh, I didn't even consider myth gear as an option due to my incorrect assumption that you wouldn't be spending myth on MNK!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just coming back after not playing for a while. I only had a 24 Conjurer when I left, anyway. Anyway, over the last couple of days I've leveled up a Gladiator to 22 and a Miner to 14. I gotta say, I'm really enjoying the improved exp yield from guildleves. These things felt so useless before, but now they are a legitimately good source of exp.

I don't know guys and girls but for me FFXIV is almost over. I am not gonna resub. Game is too boring and too much WoW for my tastes. The main problem for me is that everything (apart from the crafting) feels so mediocre. Sometimes I had the feeling I was playing a cheap Korean bad MMO game. Oh, and the quests, the leves system and the battle itself are too boring and easy.

Don't get me wrong. I loved FFXI. And I had high hopes for this remake. But I can't play it anymore. Will try to reach 50 with my THM since I only have 2 50 crafting classes this month and actually experience the end game with a non-crafting class but I am afraid I am going to be dissapointed again.

Lucis

I don't know guys and girls but for me FFXIV is almost over. I am not gonna resub. Game is too boring and too much WoW for my tastes. The main problem for me is that everything (apart from the crafting) feels so mediocre. Sometimes I had the feeling I was playing a cheap Korean bad MMO game. Oh, and the quests, the leves system and the battle itself are too boring and easy.

Don't get me wrong. I loved FFXI. And I had high hopes for this remake. But I can't play it anymore. Will try to reach 50 with my THM since I only have 2 50 crafting classes this month and actually experience the end game with a non-crafting class but I am afraid I am going to be dissapointed again.

I cringe every time some one say how they love FF11 and 14 is too boring for them, yet they give no detail on why this is the case.

Aeana

For Divebombs, does SCH pet placement affect anything?

To remind us about how inferior we are to #1 geared tank in the FC DarknessTear.

Well it'll keep your pet from getting killed by the divebombs if you place your pet up on the side, since t'll start moving way after you do. But it doesn't affect anything else since it can't actually be targeted for divebombs or anything.

Ken

Well it'll keep your pet from getting killed by the divebombs if you place your pet up on the side, since t'll start moving way after you do. But it doesn't affect anything else since it can't actually be targeted for divebombs or anything.

Hm okay, thanks! I see SCHs in videos place their pet close to the same spot everytime so I thought there was some secret to it.

Aeana

Hm okay, thanks! I see SCHs in videos place their pet close to the same spot everytime so I thought there was some secret to it.

It's a combination of what I said above and the fact that scholar fairies often prioritize catching up to the SCH over healing. So a placed fairy (or one that's stationary) will auto-heal more often, which is really helpful in particular for the snakes going into the second set of divebombs. I like to use rouse during that part and I don't have to worry about healing much aside from a lustrate here and there during that part when I do that.

Ken

It's a combination of what I said above and the fact that scholar fairies often prioritizing catching up to the SCH over healing. So a placed fairy (or one that's stationary) will auto-heal more often, which is really helpful in particular for the snakes going into the second set of divebombs. I like to use rouse during that part and I don't have to worry about healing much aside from a lustrate here and there during that part when I do that.

Yeah I'm watching a recording of our tries and Eos got divebombed to the middle of the map and never came back for healing. Q.Q

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

With 26 minutes left, I queued solo into CT and got a really great group. We cleared all the way to King Behemoth at 1:00 am and we had just started killing him when the servers shut down at 1:02 am. We had him at 80%.

Ken

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

With 26 minutes left, I queued solo into CT and got a really great group. We cleared all the way to King Behemoth at 1:00 am and we had just started killing him when the servers shut down at 1:02 am. We had him at 80%.

Was able to sneak an Ifrit EM DF that oneshot it before maintenance. Healer bangles dropped though so meh.

Teknoman

I'm hoping for an "evil team" boss battle at some point.

The Crystal Warrior and Mammet battles in FFXI were pretty crazy. Was hoping for something like that with the Garlean legatus, but that doesnt seem like its going to happen.

King Moggle Mog counts I suppose.

Tabris

I'm hoping for an "evil team" boss battle at some point.

The Crystal Warrior and Mammet battles in FFXI were pretty crazy. Was hoping for something like that with the Garlean legatus, but that doesnt seem like its going to happen.

King Moggle Mog counts I suppose.

It's such a different game that if you put the Crystal Warriors dynamic in FFXIV, it would be easy.

I'm still learning how to tank end game effectively in FFXIV and I know I'll probably always struggle a bit as the game is definitely designed for a mouse, but in the end, it'll become easy I think. Here is what I see from a tank's perspective.

In FFXI, you had to have the following skills needed as a tank:

1) True hate management (which was also a huge skill needed for DPS as unlike FFXIV, any decent DPS could easily take hate off any tank if they wanted). Doing things like recognizing who has hate (which you can't see) and getting their enmity index on you (targeting a cure bomb on them).
2) Kiting - This was much more difficult due to #1 and using environment to aid you. Think of Kirin before people burned it down.
3) Shadow cycling - Knowing when ni was going to drop to start casting utsu (and sometimes forcing ni off in mid-cast)
4) Gear Management - To be effective you had to have the right gear for the right situation always and constantly be switching.

In FFXIV, you have the following skills needed as a tank:

1) Positioning
2) Reaction speed
3) Effective cool down management
4) Pattern recognition
5) Multiple mob management

Based on what I've seen, FFXI will be the harder game and possibly the better game. Shadow cycling was almost an art form that FFXIV doesn't have. Once you know the patterns and can react fast, there's nothing to differentiate you from other tanks. There was also not as many pattern'd bosses.

But before end game, FFXIV is 100% the better game.

EDIT - A bit unfair for me to compare each game now actually since FFXIV is essentially a year old. A year into FFXI and you were done at Shadow Lord.

EDIT 2 - As a DD it has to be better though, because except for things like standing on dragon feet and kiting (most likely dieing) if you pulled hate, all you did was pew pew. While in FFXIV you have to dodge a whole heck of moves.

Tabris

Speaking of FFXI, I think they need to create an 8-man 120hr dungeon which has the Salvage concept of equipment/ability lockouts and limited time to farm what you need to unlock before bosses. And have you unlock more through each boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom