• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

ibt42rwmKWoGbO.png

Wasn't planning on getting these but I had an unwanted CT MNK chest drop that led me down the dark MNK rabbit hole (again).

Also wanted to look cool like Ren.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
brbsincenopics.gif

What is your goddamn problem with me?

Am i not allowed to post my achievements

Is this only a Gathering Against Fate thread

I'll leave if I'm bothering you so much, I mean Jesus fuck passive aggressive much?

GraveRobberX

What? You take offense to everything.

Because you quote me and try to be an asshole all the time, what the fuck have I ever done to you that has pissed you off to always quote me and try to act like a douche

Ken

Because you quote me and try to be an asshole all the time, what the fuck have I ever done to you that has pissed you off to always quote me and try to act like a douche

Well, I didn't know your sensitivity to online comments was so high so I'll refrain from doing it again in the future. Sorry!
For the love of...

Guys, pm's...please use them.

He did send a PM and then posted the same thing in here. :eek:

But it should be over now so no worries!

I cringe every time some one say how they love FF11 and 14 is too boring for them, yet they give no detail on why this is the case.

I wrote:
Oh, and the quests, the leves system and the battle itself are too boring and easy.

For me, they are the main reasons why a MMO can fail. In details:
1. Quests, so far boring, repetitive and easy stuff, all the quests so far can be completed by just pressing 1-2 buttons
2. Duities & Leves and instances, same as quests
3. Battle system is boring, you can basically kill every enemy in the game by just pressing one button
4. Story is uninteresting

The things I like and that's why I continued playing a bit more:
1. Crafting, it simply rocks, hands down the best crafting system in any MMO to date
2. Some instances' final bosses are interesting and require some skill

Ploid 3.0

I cringe every time some one say how they love FF11 and 14 is too boring for them, yet they give no detail on why this is the case.

Not saying that I'm quitting ffxiv but in ffxi I loved doing stuff in the world, I met people all the time when exping, even if I couldn't find a party. In FFXIV you pretty much stay in a hub while lfp and everything is behind dungeons. You can do other things while lfp and that's neat but when you do get that party it's serious business and when the small event is over you all split your ways, different server dragon balls departing never to see each other again type stuff.

kDSDuOZ.jpg

Then their is the environments, there was reason to be in them and to respect them in ffxi. From the mob that drop random nice loot, to good exp camps where people have to interact with other groups and the party can watch out for dangerous monsters like roaming goblins or Guivre. FFXIV's world is currently boring with rewards for being in it. There's no excitement from finding a weird named mob that finally dropped your crazy stat kotes, no mobs outside of the fate mobs (no reason for fighting them outside of exp or the currency grind set up for ffxiv's gear (Grand Company seals) and there's faster fates for that if you low man things like Cancer.

FFXIV feels like a simulation a computer made so you are funneled into dungeons, or do leves for gear and fights. The monsters are very tame in the game. You can take them on no problem, you will not die or feel you are on the edge of dying. A even match mob is cake, a very tough mob will have a problem trying to kill you, and if it's close you can just flee. I think they made the world like this because they didn't want a ffxi situation where gil sellers or players could monopolize certain Notorious Monsters. I wish they continued with their spawn NM method at least. Get the key item, fight the NM, rare/ex the gear, something.

One of the things I don't like about FFXIV's dungeons dungeons dungeons, is the events are strict on what party composition you can use and it won't let you in below what they set for the events. You can't duo it like limbus for tomes or whatever, things gear check a lot (DPS FASTER or we die to RAGE timer!). I loved low manning things, it made routine fights more interesting, a ton more interesting.

Also the gear and stats are borrring. No elemental resists and mob weaknesses to elements. The fights look like they are all about red mess on the ground to dodge, very annoying looking stuff (especially extreme fights). I know SE will add a ton more so I'm very much looking forward to that, especially thief/ninja/assassin (?), Beastmaster, and Samurai.

Varth

Sooo...

I'm planning on getting back into the game, since my subscription is still on and update is coming. Problem is, I have a digital copy, and would like to play on another PS3 cutting a bit of the time for redownloading the game.

If I buy a used disk version, would I be able to use it with my account, or the disk would be useless without the activation code? (It's called promotion, right?)

GraveRobberX

XI felt like family that lived and shared the experiences together, close knit, tight
Working towards a common goal

XIV feels more like family reunions, where everyone meets up once in awhile and shares their story and waits until the next time for said reunion, far away, come back to reminisce

XI's world felt huge, due to walking and traversing through it, and eating up time
You got to see landmarks, mobs, cliffs, narrow paths, dead ends, etc.
XIV's world feels too small cause everything can be instantly reached, so most of the area created are left barren, cause why go there, nothing there to see

XI as hard as it was to level 1 job to 75 (around CoP time) made it a goddamn accomplishment of you reaching that plateau with whatever job that you preferred
XIV leveling to the more casual approach of rather than you hammer away @ one style, you can cater to multiple styles and not be penalized for it

All I'm saying is XI made you feel that you lived in a vast world, that there was so many things to conquer, that time was your enemy
XIV makes you feel like the world is sectioned off into specified zone that are littered with people, but others that are barren as fuck, that time isn't your enemy in this MMO, boredom is (how long before you reach it and it starts twiddling away your playtime)

I still play FFXIV a little like XI, by rather then just porting to the area, I try to get it to on my choco and go through killing time, making the world fell bigger than it really is
Shit to get to Limsa, I go above and beyond to save gil
I'll just port to Costa del Sol (Favorited), pay roughly say 160-180 and then pay 40 gil to the ferry to take me to the lower docks, so a total of 200-220 gil, rather thn straight porting for 400-600gil

I had to go do my WAR Treasure Coffer in the Mines in Outer La Noscea, so from N. Shroud, I used return back to Eastern Thanalan, then from there used Costal del Sol (173gil) port, then ferry to Limsa (40gil), then ferry to Aleport(40gil), then chocoed to Upper, than Outer La Noscea

I could have burned 800+ gil to just port directly there, but I wanted to have fun getting there
In between I was on my DRG and ran into 3 FATEs and 2-3 people were there too, and we did them, got myself 30+K XP, switched back to my WAR got my coffer, returned back to E. Than, then chocoed from there till N. Shroud
(E. Than > S. Shroud > C. Shroud > N. Shroud)

GraveRobberX

Sooo...

I'm planning on getting back into the game, since my subscription is still on and update is coming. Problem is, I have a digital copy, and would like to play on another PS3 cutting a bit of the time for redownloading the game.

If I buy a used disk version, would I be able to use it with my account, or the disk would be useless without the activation code? (It's called promotion, right?)

Well the disc only installs the whole game that on it onto the HDD, afterwards the disc is pretty useless

Is your digital copy PS3 also?, I think you can just DL that version onto another PS3 and just sign in if you use the same PSN account tied to your SE account
If PC, then you need to buy a fresh new copy with activation code for the PS3, I think you get 30 days added on

Varth

Well the disc only installs the whole game that on it onto the HDD, afterwards the disc is pretty useless

Is your digital copy PS3 also?, I think you can just DL that version onto another PS3 and just sign in if you use the same PSN account tied to your SE account
If PC, then you need to buy a fresh new copy with activation code for the PS3, I think you get 30 days added on

No way to just buy the activation code?

ALSO: I would like to have the disk, too :(
Finding all excuses to buy a special edition.

Ploid 3.0

I ported all over ffxi especially for endgame events. All of the outposts for bastok (so happy the server pulled together and took over sandy and windurst outposts haha), all of the different tricks with rings, and what not made traveling in ffxi a bit tricky but somewhat fast. No where as fast and accurate as ffxiv but I don't think that's why ffxi's world was better to be in than ffxiv's.

Real Player vs Environment, that's what FFXI felt like when it comes down to it for me. It just felt better and challenging to get to where you needed to be. Like Ifrit's Cauldron for example, to get to my risky Dragon Blood farm normally it would be quite a challenge, by going there so often I lived and breathed that stuff. Then there's the mighty Beastmaster class that I love so much. That class gave me such a awesome feeling because it allowed me to go nearly anywhere I wanted if I used my abilities wisely and it made sure I knew how in the thick of things I was (tough mobs that can KILL me). I think everyone should have leveled beastmaster in ffxi, felt so good to be so powerful in a world that can eat you, solo exping in the deadliest of pits, surrounded by terror.

Did anyone participate in a amazing race like contest in FFXI? Most likely a linkshell event where everyone get on a level 1 job and start at point A and try to get to point B? I did one with my shell to go from Windurst to Nord. Dat environment. We allowed 1 sneak potion and 1 prism. Sound aggro, sight, true sound, true sight good times.

I'm not a fan of the materia melding in this game. I'm not sure if tedious is the word I'm looking for, but somewhere in between the requirements for melding and minimalist accession (both in gear and materia lol), it seems lacking.

I'd prefer a robust gem socketing system which is accessible, convenient, and empowering.

Is this the "I wish FFXIV was FFXI - The Thread"? I am waiting for the PS4 version to get back into XIV but I'm just not that excited.

Wit the way the world is arranged I know that I'll never have the excitement of sneaking through high level zones so I can make my way to Jueno for my Chocobo Quest. Or teaming up with groups on the fly in a difficult zone.

Everything in XIV feels very compartmentalized. Sterile.
:/

I kind of wish they would just do an FFXI HD.

Sorry for shitting in this thread. I like XIV and I would prefer my MMO be Final Fantasy but I think it has some problems that can't be fixed with patches or even an overhaul.

XI felt like family that lived and shared the experiences together, close knit, tight

XIV feels more like family reunions, where everyone meets up once in awhile and shares their story and waits until the next time for said reunion, far away, come back to reminisce

XI's world felt huge, due to walking and traversing through it, and eating up time
XIV's world feels too small cause everything can be instantly reached, so most of the area created are left barren, cause why go there, nothing there to see

XI as hard as it was to level 1 job to 75 (around CoP time) made it a goddamn accomplishment of you reaching that plateau with whatever job that you preferred
XIV leveling to the more casual approach of rather than you hammer away @ one style, you can cater to multiple styles and not be penalized for it

All I'm saying is XI made you feel that you lived in a vast world, that there was so many things to conquer, that time was your enemy
XIV makes you feel like the world is sectioned off into specified zone that are littered with people, but others that are barren as fuck, that time isn't your enemy in this MMO, boredom is (how long before you reach it and it starts twiddling away your playtime)

I still play FFXIV a little like XI, by rather then just porting to the area, I try to get it to on my choco and go through killing time, making the world fell bigger than it really is
I'll just port to Costa del Sol (Favorited), pay roughly say 160-180 and then pay 40 gil to the ferry to take me to the lower docks, so a total of 200-220 gil, rather thn straight porting for 400-600gil

I had to go do my WAR Treasure Coffer in the Mines in Outer La Noscea, so from N. Shroud, I used return back to Eastern Thanalan, then from there used Costal del Sol (173gil) port, then ferry to Limsa (40gil), then ferry to Aleport(40gil), then chocoed to Upper, than Outer La Noscea

I could have burned 800+ gil to just port directly there, but I wanted to have fun getting there
In between I was on my DRG and ran into 3 FATEs and 2-3 people were there too, and we did them, got myself 30+K XP, switched back to my WAR got my coffer, returned back to E. Than, then chocoed from there till N. Shroud

It's sad but MMOs aren't made for ppl like you and me anymore. WoW destroyed the genre for those of us who cared more about being in a virtual world populated by strong communties. Now its about instant gratification and community building is an afterthought if a consideration at all.

Torquill

I'm not a fan of the materia melding in this game. I'm not sure if tedious is the word I'm looking for,
i disagree, but I also don't presume that Penta melding easily is an entitlement.

It should be viewed as an extreme act of min maxing, which is often a tedious process in any system.

Since there is literally nothing in this game that requires such extreme min maxing, it is an exercise for the masochistic in my opinion. Getting that 5th materia on your gear is not going to make anything in this game significantly easier to complete.

Ploid 3.0

Is this the "I wish FFXIV was FFXI - The Thread"? I am waiting for the PS4 version to get back into XIV but I'm just not that excited.

Wit the way the world is arranged I know that I'll never have the excitement of sneaking through high level zones so I can make my way to Jueno for my Chocobo Quest. Or teaming up with groups on the fly in a difficult zone.

Sorry for shitting in this thread. I like XIV and I would prefer my MMO be Final Fantasy but I think it has some problems that can't be fixed with patches or even an overhaul.

FFXIV was always the I wish it was FFXI-2. Look at the way they flipped up the classes. Bard pure dd sometimes sing (why does archer also sing?), Summoner dot dd with egi's, BLM the pyromancer. FFXIV thief is going to be interesting, probably always have dagger and shield, steals buffs, poison dots. healer class!

Torquill

It's sad but MMOs aren't made for ppl like you and me anymore. WoW destroyed the genre for those of us who cared more about being in a virtual world populated by strong communties.
Not really. I'm sure those games exist, they are just smaller projects.

Will anyone spend millions of dollars on a game only a couple hundred thousand people will play? Of course not, and it's silly to think they should.

Your art was successfully popularized. Now suffer as all before you have (Film, etc. :p)

kierwynn

What was the site good for?

It would look at your gear and give your suggestions of what to focus on next. It also ranked your entire FC by their ilvl. The thing is, it didn't rank people purely on ilvl- it took things like coil turn clears into consideration and placed those with higher clears above everyone else regardless of actual ilvl. Not everyone has that information public, so it was never really accurate. Some people found it fun regardless, which is cool, but some people took it way too seriously.

edit- I didn't notice there was a whole other page of stuff, so i am super late to the party. haha This is what I get for posting when I wake up. Ignore me.

I ported all over ffxi especially for endgame events. All of the outposts for bastok (so happy the server pulled together and took over sandy and windurst outposts haha), all of the different tricks with rings, and what not made traveling in ffxi a bit tricky but somewhat fast. No where as fast and accurate as ffxiv but I don't think that's why ffxi's world was better to be in than ffxiv's.

Real Player vs Environment, that's what FFXI felt like when it comes down to it for me. It just felt better and challenging to get to where you needed to be. Like Ifrit's Cauldron for example, to get to my risky Dragon Blood farm normally it would be quite a challenge, by going there so often I lived and breathed that stuff. Then there's the mighty Beastmaster class that I love so much. That class gave me such a awesome feeling because it allowed me to go nearly anywhere I wanted if I used my abilities wisely and it made sure I knew how in the thick of things I was (tough mobs that can KILL me). I think everyone should have leveled beastmaster in ffxi, felt so good to be so powerful in a world that can eat you, solo exping in the deadliest of pits, surrounded by terror.

Did anyone participate in a amazing race like contest in FFXI? Most likely a linkshell event where everyone get on a level 1 job and start at point A and try to get to point B? I did one with my shell to go from Windurst to Nord. Dat environment. We allowed 1 sneak potion and 1 prism. Sound aggro, sight, true sound, true sight good times.

hey also the bosses are like fuck up standing on somewhere? instawipe! no panic excitement trying to pull out some win trying to get everyone up after a flail or some stupidness, or trying to kill each other for funny (thf TA on mage, blm or drk or even sam trying to destroy himself) I really hate all the serious business shit.
just some stuff I miss, like some things hate some things

I've made millions from the AH and after my time with it, I wish that it had two basic functions:

1. To sell items directly from the Market Board popup window
  2. To price check items by dragging the item into the Market Board popup window

Since there is literally nothing in this game that requires such extreme min maxing, it is an exercise for the masochistic in my opinion. Getting that 5th materia on your gear is not going to make anything in this game significantly easier to complete.

Haha, perhaps that's true! I've yet to see its implementation or necessity for high end crafting jobs (I've only maxed PLD/WAR, both with gear lacking any materia slots) and yet, I sort of feel that the current materia system is a phantom remnant left behind from the ARR transition, where the Fatigue System had not survived.

Shouta

I'm not a fan of the materia melding in this game. I'm not sure if tedious is the word I'm looking for, but somewhere in between the requirements for melding and minimalist accession (both in gear and materia lol), it seems lacking.

I'd prefer a robust gem socketing system which is accessible, convenient, and empowering.

It's not useful + it's a waste of resources trying to get good melds. With the arbitrary stat caps, it makes pretty difficult to properly customize stuff to your own liking and the obscenely low rates on getting 4th/5th materia on it just makes you waste good cash. The system needs to be expanded and made more useful along with crafted gear to incentive crafting in general and to make the economy work like intended.

I said it near launch but they need to make it so you can meld an equivalent to highest obtainable stuff with effort and differentiate the stats so people can customizable more readily. It's not going to happen which is unfortunate but that's what the system needs.

As for the XI stuff, XIV could use some ideas from it to make it robust. I do agree with the sentiment that there isn't enough field content in the game. It's a shame because they went through all the trouble to design a really good looking environment but we hardly do anything in it other than fates and a few leves. More nooks and crannies stuff, Notorious Monsters and etc would be great, with the appropriate XIV style stuff in it, of course.

I agree with you, Shouta. Also, I'm not seeing the large Fate groups going like I used to see. Is this due to fewer people playing/leveling up or has dungeon exp. so greatly increased that people grind those instead?

Sophia

I would really like to see the Levemete system expanded to cover old-school leveling groups and the FATE system expanded to cover Notorious Monsters. One thing I did early on with the help of a friend was power level my character classes to 15 so I could avoid the beginning drull in game. Imagine if instead of randomly grinding, we could have accepted group Leves (and scaled everyone's level accordingly) to do that?

As for Notorious Monsters... once you hit around level 40-45 in a class, you stop fearing most of the enemies in the open game world. Because there are very few enemies in the world higher than Rank 1. I don't think I've seen a Rank 5/6 enemy outside of instances or special FATEs.

I agree with you, Shouta. Also, I'm not seeing the large Fate groups going like I used to see. Is this due to fewer people playing/leveling up or has dungeon exp. so greatly increased that people grind those instead?

Dungeon XP is the fastest way to level now, for better or worse. Mostly for the better because the dungeons are all sorts of awesome, but it kinda sucks at a couple points.

Marceles

I completely agree, reaching cap and beating Maat were huge accomplishments in FFXI. Same with crafting.

Your LS leaving parties and dungeons just to raise you in a secluded place and losing XP if they died.

Actually capping stats by fighting. Gear that did more than just increase stats but gave you double attack and haste.

Party freedom: all fights could be like Chimera. Go ahead and start the fight and get punched in the face, but at least you can customize your own party.

Aggroing one mob that was overpowered meant you were dead in FFXI. You could never move and attack at the same time but mobs could for some reason, and they outrun you, AND they chase you through the whole map. The only way to escape was zoning out.

Just the way XI was setup, it was practically impossible for people to not know their jobs.

People really paid their dues in XI, and while some people say "it just sounds harder to me" or "I don't have time for it", the whole game was very gratifying when you completed anything. Story missions, raised your crafting skills up only 0.1 pts by spending 20,000 gil on materials, it was all incredibly well done.

we need more customization options in general. id like better materia melding options and more crafter involvement. just need to find a way to lock botters and gil buyers out of this system.

People really paid their dues in XI, and while some people say "it just sounds harder to me" or "I don't have time for it", the whole game was very gratifying when you completed anything. Story missions, raised your crafting skills up only 0.1 pts by spending 20,000 gil on materials, it was all incredibly well done.
It still took too long though.
Days camping in dune, then days camping in qufim, then the next one, etc etc.

In FFXIV, you finish much faster but at least you experience more content overall in a reasonable time.

aceface

That's all well and good about FFXI but as the poster above predicted someone would say, "I don't have time for it." I tried FFXI back when it first came out but at the time the focus on groups made it incredibly time intensive (or at least it seemed to me). Like, it took awhile to get a party, and once you were in a party you didn't want to log out. Work and kids make that kind of time commitment impossible for me and as a long time FF fan, it pissed me off that I was realistically locked out from playing their new game.

For me, FF has always been about the single player experience. Even in the FF community thread today people largely ignore the existence of the online FF's. I think that FFXIV creates a nice balance between that stuff and social gameplay that is perfect for me as an FF fan first and foremost who has never played any other MMO's

I would really like to see the Levemete system expanded to cover old-school leveling groups and the FATE system expanded to cover Notorious Monsters. One thing I did early on with the help of a friend was power level my character classes to 15 so I could avoid the beginning drull in game. Imagine if instead of randomly grinding, we could have accepted group Leves (and scaled everyone's level accordingly) to do that?
Isn't that already possible if you activate a Leve with your party around you? Iirc if all the members accept the same leve you all get the completion flags.

Sophia

Isn't that already possible if you activate a Leve with your party around you? Iirc if all the members accept the same leve you all get the completion flags.

I think it's possible, but as far as I know the leves aren't talered to a group experience or anything. Put simply, it didn't beat mass farming every enemy we could see. Especially considering how long it would have taken to go back to the Levemete and the fact that the Levels are level locked initially.

I'm talking something specifically tailored to a four man or eight man party, in the vein of oldschool FFXI style leveling.

Speaking of which, that's another change that'd be nice; Once I've unlocked the leves for an area, let me start and complete them anywhere.

It still took too long though.
Days camping in dune, then days camping in qufim, then the next one, etc etc.

In FFXIV, you finish much faster but at least you experience more content overall in a reasonable time.

Definitely a byproduct of its time and I'm glad I played it. That said I'd never really want to pay to play it ever again.

That's all well and good about FFXI but as the poster above predicted someone would say, "I don't have time for it." I tried FFXI back when it first came out but at the time the focus on groups made it incredibly time intensive (or at least it seemed to me). Like, it took awhile to get a party, and once you were in a party you didn't want to log out. Work and kids make that kind of time commitment impossible for me and as a long time FF fan, it pissed me off that I was realistically locked out from playing their new game.

For me, FF has always been about the single player experience. Even in the FF community thread today people largely ignore the existence of the online FF's. I think that FFXIV creates a nice balance between that stuff and social gameplay that is perfect for me as an FF fan first and foremost who has never played any other MMO's

Going with this. My love for XI and its systems were conditional. Great for its time relative to mine, but I don't have that in me anymore. There's still much XIV could do to improve upon or even pay homage to its predecessor (and I'm willing to give it the time it needs to get there), but there's just no way in hell I'd want XI-2.

Tabris

OK I think some of you have some weird nostalgia going.

I mean when you look back at it, things like trains in Crawler's Nest and 40 people dead at the entrance was funny, but what wasn't funny was it happening every hour, and then you go back to pulling 1 single crawler at a time* for 4 hours in a row to exp their way to the next couple of levels. Oh yeah, don't forget about having to rest in between every 5th chain because MP didn't regen.

*Assuming another party wasn't stealing your exp mobs and you would fight over who owned what exp ground.

Oh yeah, and then someone above mentioned they feel FFXIV is about waiting around in a hub. I dunno about you, but half my time in game was spent in Jeuno with LFP up. Often having to try and make my own parties. Oh yeah, and if you were an undesired class? Good luck.

EDIT - What you are experiencing with FFXIV is a cap on things to do because it's new and comparing to a 8-year old game (or however old when you quit)

gatti-man

I love this game so hard right now. My static can clear coil turns 1-4 in under an hour then we move on to EM and other fun things. Leveling alts is easy with crystal tower and low dailies. The game just has tons to do for me and I really like it :)

Tabris

Oh, and if you think the elitism in FFXIV is bad, in FFXI it was off the charts (and I was one of them). I would look down on most jobs like DRG (before buff), PUP, etc, and players who hadn't geared right. I was a total asshole for doing it. I regret it now but it was the common practice in FFXI. No concept of teaching new players.

I remember literally kicking people out of party after examining them. And this asshole behaviour I had was all over the place.

Actually, I remember purposefully logging in at JP times so I could party with people who knew how to skill chain and magic burst, and were geared right.

EDIT - So every asshole I get in FFXIV I think is deserved and karma getting me back :)

pablito

maybe you guys could help. my group has been having trouble with turn 4. we've had some member changes recently, but around half of us has been running together for a while. i've been having to pug turn 4 because we can't beat it, but i'd like to get us all past this. turn 5 should be the stumper, not 4 imo. our setup for turn 4 is

PLD x 2. both +1 sword/shield at 6.2k hp and 6.1k
SMN full i90
DRG +1 i86, also has BRD i78 base relic
WHM +1
SCH +1
BLM +1

we used to have a 2nd BRD but he threw a shit fit and left the group (right after outlotting me on brd pieces this week too, how nice of him).

this is what we usually try. phase 1 aoe (ballad/paeon up for just recovering faster, songs off when phase 2 drops), phase 2 take down MT K/S, then OT. phase 3 requiem up on the dread.

phase 4, for some reason, we haven't been able to aoe things down in time. our blm is pretty new and i think has only a couple of i90 pieces. weapon, body, and at most an accessory or two. we've been feeding the remaining spiders to the phase 5 dreadnaught.

we've tried two different ways of phase 5 + 6. take out the OT K/S, then work on the dread til phase 6, take out rook, back on p5 dread, p6 K/S, p6 dread. we haven't really come that close to beating it this way as the MT drops like a rock when the 2nd dread is on him.

we've gotten closer by trying to take out p5 dread before anything, then the p6 rook, then work on 4 K/S that's on the OT. problem is the tanks are still dropping. i've beaten this a bunch of times with other groups, but i'm DRG/BRD, so i don't know the mechanics of SMN/BLM/PLD. so i wouldn't know where to fix our aoe problem in p4, or the tanking problem in p5 and p6.

so i guess what i'm looking for is advice that i could share with my group in regards to playing SMN and BLM during aoe phases, and what cooldowns PLDs would like to be using or saving for certain times. i'm also thinking if clearing up those aoes portions would help, recommending our smn come blm also. he'd have 7 i90 pieces between allagan and hero that he got for his smn, but i'm not sure about his weapon.

Lucis

I wrote:

For me, they are the main reasons why a MMO can fail. In details:
1. Quests, so far boring, repetitive and easy stuff, all the quests so far can be completed by just pressing 1-2 buttons
2. Duities & Leves and instances, same as quests
3. Battle system is boring, you can basically kill every enemy in the game by just pressing one button
4. Story is uninteresting

The things I like and that's why I continued playing a bit more:
1. Crafting, it simply rocks, hands down the best crafting system in any MMO to date
2. Some instances' final bosses are interesting and require some skill

1, compared to ff11's what? auto attack until tp full for weapon skill? also it's hard to imagine you went through the game's dungeons (even the mid level ones) by pressing 1-2 buttons only
2, those are filler quests that's suppose to get you exp, fast, they are doing that
3, again, compare to what? ff11's auto attack until weapon skill? even as a mage you didn't do much but press one element for a single enermy type. (oh i forgot chaining! lol)
4, the story is actually just as interesting compared to the ff11 ones imo. imagine this instead of expansion 1, just htink of it as the first ff14 release, you obviously did not play when ff11 was first released (I was), the story is not any better

Not saying that I'm quitting ffxiv but in ffxi I loved doing stuff in the world, I met people all the time when exping, even if I couldn't find a party. In FFXIV you pretty much stay in a hub while lfp and everything is behind dungeons. You can do other things while lfp and that's neat but when you do get that party it's serious business and when the small event is over you all split your ways, different server dragon balls departing never to see each other again type stuff.

kDSDuOZ.jpg

Then their is the environments, there was reason to be in them and to respect them in ffxi. From the mob that drop random nice loot, to good exp camps where people have to interact with other groups and the party can watch out for dangerous monsters like roaming goblins or Guivre. FFXIV's world is currently boring with rewards for being in it. There's no excitement from finding a weird named mob that finally dropped your crazy stat kotes, no mobs outside of the fate mobs (no reason for fighting them outside of exp or the currency grind set up for ffxiv's gear (Grand Company seals) and there's faster fates for that if you low man things like Cancer.

FFXIV feels like a simulation a computer made so you are funneled into dungeons, or do leves for gear and fights. The monsters are very tame in the game. You can take them on no problem, you will not die or feel you are on the edge of dying. A even match mob is cake, a very tough mob will have a problem trying to kill you, and if it's close you can just flee. I think they made the world like this because they didn't want a ffxi situation where gil sellers or players could monopolize certain Notorious Monsters. I wish they continued with their spawn NM method at least. Get the key item, fight the NM, rare/ex the gear, something.

One of the things I don't like about FFXIV's dungeons dungeons dungeons, is the events are strict on what party composition you can use and it won't let you in below what they set for the events. You can't duo it like limbus for tomes or whatever, things gear check a lot (DPS FASTER or we die to RAGE timer!). I loved low manning things, it made routine fights more interesting, a ton more interesting.

Also the gear and stats are borrring. No elemental resists and mob weaknesses to elements. The fights look like they are all about red mess on the ground to dodge, very annoying looking stuff (especially extreme fights). I know SE will add a ton more so I'm very much looking forward to that, especially thief/ninja/assassin (?), Beastmaster, and Samurai.

What you are saying now simply will not fly in the current mmo market. FF14 had to adapt, and sitll keep the FF feel, they did a great job at it.

Sophia

I think most of my Free Company would bail if the gameplay was as tedious as FFXI's was. A lot of them share the same viewpoint as me in that FFXI had some great ideas, but they wouldn't want XIV to essentially be FFXI-2.

Got DRG to 50 in the trial period, woo! And now I discover seals become even more important - looks like I won't be spending any for a while. And then, of course, I have to get one of my crafting classes to 19 so I can start the whole material ordeal. And, I haven't beaten the main scenario quests... Yep, I'll be subscribing once my trial period is up. This game has seriously dug its claws into me and taken over a lot of my free time. I love that it's in the vein of FF IX in that it's quite the love letter to the series, what with all the elements/concepts from past games it borrows and incorporates into its world. Those who don't give the game a shot are missing out. It's highly addictive and very Final Fantasy.

Cryst

Thanatos in CT is such a messy encounter. I don't think I've done a PUG CT where half the raid wasn't dead with Nemesis mobs running loose just as the boss dies. Surely players aren't just standing by "their pot", and thinking, "well, those mobs aren't near me, so it's not my problem", right? :-/

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

No.
Go play FFXI if you want that. Its time has past.

Teknoman

One thing about the reaction speed though Tabris, surprisingly enough, not every tank seems to have that ability. Same with dps, some people just dont seem to be able to react to attack lines or manage their skill timing/predict an enemy move properly.

gatti-man

Thanatos in CT is such a messy encounter. I don't think I've done a PUG CT where half the raid wasn't dead with Nemesis mobs running loose just as the boss dies. Surely players aren't just standing by "their pot", and thinking, "well, those mobs aren't near me, so it's not my problem", right? :-/

Vadis being bad the boss fight is what runs through my mind in ct most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom