• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
DRG is the best dps in the game bar none at the moment. The dps our DRG puts out is amazing. He uses some 47 button rotation but as long as it isn't a crazy dodging fight he destroys my geared blm in dps.

Monk is still king of the ring. Dragoon is now a solid second though, IMO. I'm undecided on BLM vs. SMN but BRD is undoubtedly dead last.

SMN benefits from the fact that they can still get damage in while moving, BLM doesn't have that advantage...and we have a battle ressurection spell. Only issue is that we don't do a lot of burst damage and our best burst damage is on cooldown for a few seconds. People don't seem to understand that about SMN's and often whine about their dps.

bodine1231

Just bought the game on Amazon for $15 on sale. Never played XI or the original XIV so I'm going in with no hangups. What pushed me over was RPGfan listing it as their GOTY,I usually share the same views as a few of the guys there. Hoping to have a good time with it,gotta wait an hour for the download though :(

jorgeton

Just bought the game on Amazon for $15 on sale. Never played XI or the original XIV so I'm going in with no hangups. What pushed me over was RPGfan listing it as their GOTY,I usually share the same views as a few of the guys there. Hoping to have a good time with it,gotta wait an hour for the download though :(

Welcome! It's my first mmo and I've been consistently blown away by how great the experience has been. The best mainline FF since the ps2 era, hands down.

bodine1231

Welcome! It's my first mmo and I've been consistently blown away by how great the experience has been. The best mainline FF since the ps2 era, hands down.

It's definitely not my first,played DAOC and WOW since their release but I haven't touched one in over a year. I just miss having a go to game when there is nothing out that I want to play (even though I have a stack of games here,I just don't feel like playing them) and I hope XIV fills that gap.

Ploid 3.0

you think over world tote trash is more challenging than the end game ff14 currently provides?
what's going on, i don't understand the world anymore.

No? What?

The overworld mobs are too easy. Overworld = stuff outside of dungeons/instances, the roaming mobs and whatever they have that you can freely engage in combat.

I'd like plenty of mobs that aren't safe to get to with juicy loot (maybe craftable items), though gilsellers would exploit, though I'd take pleasure in trying to kill them somehow. I farmed level 30ish apkallu for their eggs, and made a game of how fast I can kill them all and not allow anyone else to get my egg dispenser dummies. The higher mobs don't seem to drop much worth farming. SMN, SCH, MNK, WAR, and BLM are op at 45+ for the world. BLM and SMN are disgusting. Endgame gear is not even slightly needed. My BLM doesn't even need it's body af. SMN needs a nerf (I'm kidding), it shreds the mobs apart. SMN is also too good in PVP too. Nerf it (kidding).

I think he may be talking about another game's overworld. Sorry don't highlight. Only for Lucis
Or did you mean FFXII minus 1's overworld. If so, when you know what to do FFXIV's endgame isn't as challenging as it is hoping everyone including yourself don't mess up. Tiamat, Vrtra, and the various NMs that spawn are more complicated to manage though there's less time restrictions, and dd checking but you do have to survive, manage hate, resources, abilities, resistances, adapt, etc. Sometimes you had to fight those things with less that optimal alliance setups. Maybe missing half of party 3, or only having 2 parties because it popped at 2am. Very exciting stuff

BadRNG

our 8th member was another BRD, but he left the group two days ago. we would try turn 4 with dual BRDs, or with his BRD and my DRG and fail at the same exact spots.

so it sounds like your method was similar to my second method. take out phase 5 dread, then rook. but instead of having all 4 dps on rook, have 3 on the rook and a blm kite one of the 4 mobs that the OT is tanking. i'm guessing the OT tank wouldn't be kiting the 3 K/S that are on them as to not criss cross with the kiting BLM and the rest of the DPS, right?
Whoever you get to replace, make sure you have at least one melee. The LB on rook really helps.

Whether or not the OT kites is up to the group. If he does, then do it in a small circle. See Illy's video for an example of that. I don't personally like the kiting strategy, it doesn't seem to be much more effective than tanking straight up and it screws over melee a bit too.

Here's the vid I shot a couple weeks ago: Link. We had a DC on first pull so my Tempered Will wasn't off cooldown at the beginning of P2, normally I use it right away. I wish I had a video of one of our cleaner runs, but oh well, hopefully it helps somewhat.

Ken

ibdc5F1KyGEPL2.png

Have to say that the EM fights are still really fun. Won't rush my third and beyond weeks of primal weapons and instead try to learn the fights on alternate classes. Think my favorite thing in FFXIV are these Trial fights/boss rushes rather than dungeons.

Isaccard

Have to say that the EM fights are still really fun. Won't rush my third and beyond weeks of primal weapons and instead try to learn the fights on alternate classes. Think my favorite thing in FFXIV are these Trial fights/boss rushes rather than dungeons.

Must be nice being able to clear them and via duty finder no less.

Good show, sirr

Lucis

I think he may be talking about another game's overworld. Sorry don't highlight. Only for Lucis
Or did you mean FFXII minus 1's overworld. If so, when you know what to do FFXIV's endgame isn't as challenging as it is hoping everyone including yourself don't mess up. Tiamat, Vrtra, and the various NMs that spawn are more complicated to manage though there's less time restrictions, and dd checking but you do have to survive, manage hate, resources, abilities, resistances, adapt, etc. Sometimes you had to fight those things with less that optimal alliance setups. Maybe missing half of party 3, or only having 2 parties because it popped at 2am. Very exciting stuff

Wtf are you smoking .... I was in the LS probably got world first 10 Tiamat/virtra when cop came out, we were the first non jp LS that did anything significant. You are telling me that ff11 is harder? It was only harder because at first it is an endurance fight, we beat tiamat with out knowing anything, just brought more people to the fight than needed.
I never said ff14 is as challenging as it is hoping, actually I wasn't hoping anything, but FF14 is way better of a game than 11 could ever hope to be with out the nostalgia goggle. I personally have not done turn 5 yet since i am pretty casual now. However for who did it, they compared it to Karazhan's end fight (which isn't very hard). Despite that, it is still more demanding than any fight ff11 have ever offered. (I quit after the 3 dragons in COP were down)

Ploid 3.0

Wtf are you smoking .... I was in the LS probably got world first 10 Tiamat/virtra when cop came out, we were the first non jp LS that did anything significant. You are telling me that ff11 is harder? It was only harder because at first it is an endurance fight, we beat tiamat with out knowing anything, just brought more people to the fight than needed.
I never said ff14 is as challenging as it is hoping, actually I wasn't hoping anything, but FF14 is way better of a game than 11 could ever hope to be with out the nostalgia goggle. I personally have not done turn 5 yet since i am pretty casual now. However for who did it, they compared it to Karazhan's end fight (which isn't very hard). Despite that, it is still more demanding than any fight ff11 have ever offered. (I quit after the 3 dragons in COP were down)

I'm only going to talk about ff14 here. Hate is easier to lock, you don't have to deal with mp management much (especially on dd mages) or elemental information for blm, things are simpler outside of having to constantly move because of their danger mechanics/activities during the fight (like wow). There's not much of a fine balancing act between support cure enmity, tank enmity building, and DD enmity. Because you don't have to slow down it may feel like a nonstop marathon and is more fun to do, but you worry about the additional things they put in the battles instead. The moving and having to be accurate is indeed more prone for failure but that's a bit of a false sense of difficulty to me. To me it just seem like added chaos because you don't need to worry about a lot of other stuff. After a while, and after the gear upgrades, it'll just be a dance, and become even more routine than anything. One too many mistakes from anyone can force a reset. Everyone wipe.

Btw I didn't say FFXIV wasn't challenging, just the open world stuff. You asked a question, I gave my honest answers. I don't need you to agree, I don't think i'm basking in nostalgia also. Especially with how easy the environment is.

The good thing about this new fighting system in FFXIV is the fight possibilities is probably unlimited for future battles. They won't have to add additional mobs to make the fights tougher, or hidden ways to stop the mob from spamming super abilities type stuff. Though they may still require and limit combatants. I'd rather they allow for going in with how little member count as you want, even solo for whatever reason (especially the times you know you can do it without that extra person but 4 or 8 is required).

Lucis

I'm only going to talk about ff14 here. Hate is easier to lock, you don't have to deal with mp management much (especially on dd mages) or elemental information for blm, things are simpler outside of having to constantly move because of their danger mechanics/activities during the fight (like wow). There's not much of a fine balancing act between support cure enmity, tank enmity building, and DD enmity. Because you don't have to slow down it may feel like a nonstop marathon and is more fun to do, but you worry about the additional things they put in the battles instead. The moving and having to be accurate is indeed more prone for failure but that's a bit of a false sense of difficulty to me. To me it just seem like added chaos because you don't need to worry about a lot of other stuff. After a while, and after the gear upgrades, it'll just be a dance, and become even more routine than anything. One too many mistakes from anyone can force a reset. Everyone wipe.

Btw I didn't say FFXIV wasn't challenging, just the open world stuff. You asked a question, I gave my honest answers. I don't need you to agree, I don't think i'm basking in nostalgia also. Especially with how easy the environment is.

The good thing about this new fighting system in FFXIV is the fight possibilities is probably unlimited for future battles. They won't have to add additional mobs to make the fights tougher, or hidden ways to stop the mob from spamming super abilities type stuff. Though they may still require and limit combatants. I'd rather they allow for going in with how little member count as you want, even solo for whatever reason (especially the times you know you can do it without that extra person but 4 or 8 is required).

if that reflex requirement is not difficult, what is? Back when I was playing ff11, I can meomrize every elemental affinity of every mob that mattered, It was only a matter of pressing this macro compared to pressing another. The ash dragon video you linked showed no difficult, just dont' screw up for 15 min in casting blink or utsusemi. I can not see how this is more difficult than what FF14 has to offer currently in end game content. I am done here, I have no idea what you are talking about or your train of thought is anymore.

At the end, FF14 is never going to the way you want it to go, it won't fly in this day of age. If you want to solo stuff for "difficulty" the most you will get is to solo shit like how wow is right now. Soloing some old content is still fairly challenging. (I remember tying to solo TK for that phoenix mount). But new content wise, it will only go to the way of more main stream reflex type of fight

Ploid 3.0

if that reflex requirement is not difficult, what is? Back when I was playing ff11, I can meomrize every elemental affinity of every mob that mattered, It was only a matter of pressing this macro compared to pressing another. The ash dragon video you linked showed no difficult, just dont' screw up for 15 min in casting blink or utsusemi. I can not see how this is more difficult than what FF14 has to offer currently in end game content. I am done here, I have no idea what you are talking about or your train of thought is anymore.

At the end, FF14 is never going to the way you want it to go, it won't fly in this day of age. If you want to solo stuff for "difficulty" the most you will get is to solo shit like how wow is right now. Soloing some old content is still fairly challenging. (I remember tying to solo TK for that phoenix mount). But new content wise, it will only go to the way of more main stream reflex type of fight

Dude, FFXIV's environment outside of dungeons is harmless. I wasn't saying that stuff about it's endgame. Also I said the dudes in the video were after the level cap. I did it way before, it's not as easy as level 90s make it seem.

FFXIV world (not controlled dungeons, locked events like quest, maybe treasure hunts, fate)= level 49 mobs
FFXIV player = level 50 god
FFXIV player in FFXIV world = (yawn)

My argument.

Zomba13

I'm hoping for an "evil team" boss battle at some point.

The Crystal Warrior and Mammet battles in FFXI were pretty crazy. Was hoping for something like that with the Garlean legatus, but that doesnt seem like its going to happen.

King Moggle Mog counts I suppose.

Awwww shieeeet. What if they bring back the Ark Angels for a fight? FFXIV has a bunch of previous FF stuff. We're getting a gilgamesh fight at some point. Shantotto will be a FATE soon for a bit.

suzu

A battle with all the Garlean judges at the same time might be cool. Kinda like that one trial stage in FFXII. lol

Zomba13

A battle with all the Garlean judges at the same time might be cool. Kinda like that one trial stage in FFXII. lol

Yeah. Just make it a Bards tale thing or whatever. Like Ultima Hard Mode. Talk to the bard again and he's saying how you beat all the Garlean generals at once and then bam. HM Garlean fight.

Would need to tweak them a bit. but could incorporate mechanics from each fight. Maybe have them tag out at certain % or cross the mechanics over (like using the mortar on the guy you fight first or have areas engulfed in flame while fighting Nero). Would be a cool, hard fight. Could reward with some Garlean like weps/accessories or armour like theirs or something.

klee123

So, gaf, halp. Demon wall + bees is slapping me around. What do?

if DPS low (ie Wall's health is 50% when the bees spawn), Tank should keep the bees busy whilst everyone else continues to dps boss.

Otherwise the Bees will kill the healer.

Watch out for repel though, a lot of people get caught during the bee phase.

If the wall's health is less than 25% by the time the bees spawn, then everyone ignore bees and kill boss asap.

I got this email today in my inbox:

Hello!

You have requested to link your Steam account to your SQUARE ENIX Account.

Please review the data below then click the red button to proceed:

Steam account:

SQUARE ENIX Account:

CLICK HERE
TO LINK YOUR ACCOUNT

If the link does not work in your email client, please copy and paste this into your web browser:
http://membership.square-enix.com/confirm/UP24tyWxzphsSbdhfmCh

If you have not requested to link your Steam account, and have received this email by mistake, please ignore it.

Seemed like a phishing email so I ignored it and signed onto Square's account site directly whereupon I was asked to confirm that an account created on January 1st was mine. Anyone else seen this?

Mupod

yeah the thing I always hated in other mmorpgs was clearing trash and downtime between attempts. FF14's trials cut that shit out entirely and just throw a boss at you.

I'm just so busy in-game right now that I don't really have any drive to do the ex primals again. Definitely not planning on getting a weapon this week and I don't particularly care since I don't play alts. I'd use that paladin shield though, and the ifrit bangle could be a small upgrade now that I have an excess of accuracy.

Rank 17 in PVP and almost finished leveling crafting classes, but I've still got tons to do. I need to get more in touch with the PVPers on Ultros because queueing solo or just with a healer is a recipe for frustration - you end up with a couple monks in darklight who run around aimlessly and die instantly. Yet when I have a couple geared DPS on my side I generally win against everyone except the rank 30 people. And I've beaten them too.

also I'd like to add that tank solo queues are absolutely insane. Sometimes over 15 minutes at primetime. Not so bad when I'm just doing it as a break between crafting, but extremely irritating when I know how badly I've fallen behind the gear curve. I'm almost over the warwolf hump though, from there it's just another thousand wins or so until rank 30. Sounds ridiculous I guess but from the perspective of someone who made serious attempts at the high warlord grind back in WoW it's nothing.

Ken

well that was easy

grats. you guys earned it for how many hours you guys sat in the mumble.

i died early to plumes so that's why i'm at the bottom of the aggro

Riposte

The virtues of FFXI could be captured without recreating it or trying to reach the same exact state. I think I could describe some of these virtues as:

-The overworld being a world you continually engage in (and actually respect as a threat when you explore), even after earning and creating shortcuts/teleports.

-The leveling experience being an ever refreshed and vital part of the game made dynamic by other people playing an important role.

-Quests/storyline and grindy leveling encounters were held separately from each other, not allowing the latter to corrupt the former into throwaway filler that loses meaning (and to a lesser extent, not allowing the former to change the latter into a linear hand-holding experience that is likely simplistic solo content).

-The accumulation of a variety of content to do (and gear to use/get) rather than being fast-tracked to a repetitive dead end as most of the game (or the endgame alone) has become obsolete,

-(Most importantly) The sense of community (and not from just a (small, isolated guild) community, but the community) as it plays a fundamental role in how you progress in the game and felt whether you are in town, in a party, or run into someone in the wild (all of whom may belong to a culture you may otherwise never interact with, i.e., the game was global).

FFXI could be very boring, repetitive, frustrating, and time-consuming (altogether off-putting), but the effect it had on its players is worth looking into. Even the developers of FFXI didn't see the potential in what I've said above and rarely capitalized on it (by now the game has completely subverted itself, but I meant even before that: it never did anything nearly as good as it could have). There's something that should be really appealing to developers here: FFXI players were willing to put themselves though what could only really be described as hell compared to current MMO expectations and remained an extremely consistent playerbase as WoW-killers (often with far better content pipeline/budget) around the game dropped like flies. The FFXI model of players being extremely attached to other players, having more and more content rather than less and less, and the open world you spent most of your budget on never going away is fighting the problem of there never being enough content for players. For lack of a better term, FFXI was more future-proof in an environment where three months could feel like an eternity.

You'd think we'd see a compromise where even one thing was gleamed from FFXI's success. FFXIV isn't a compromise though; it goes in the complete opposite direction at 90 mph. That direction is one that is lamented by old EQ, FFXI, DAoC, and even early WoW players; the one that turns Massive Multiplayer Online games into something that doesn't feel very massive nor very multiplayer. FFXI, for example, had world that felt massive in a way no single player open-world game could meaningful achieve and it felt multiplayer in way that was deeply engrained into the experience and you couldn't get anywhere outside the genre.

Could you really say anything I said above applies to FFXIV? I mean Duty Finder, which is pretty much the central content mechanic, is completely antithetical to most of what I said (and still feels like LFPing on certain classes heh). I think in the end they've only hurt themselves by learning nothing from FFXI. I felt that was their competitive edge; the answer to the question: "What makes your F2P-bound WoW-killer different?"

Anyway, in this sense I never wanted a FFXI-2, but a game that remembers it existed.

(EDIT: Specifically talking about harmless overworlds: I remember someone saying how great it was they could explore the whole world safely with a chocobo and I was left thinking: That's like saying your glad the world is one giant suburb so you can walk through it.)

BadRNG

I'm never on when these groups form.
You had your own Titan group going when ours was formed I think. We were in that hell hole for like 6 hours, had several gaf people come into the mumble channel wondering wth we were doing for so long.

We had so many issues with internet connections, so frustrating, especially with how fast we ended up getting it down when that was resolved.

So glad to get it done. Onto Ifrit, who seems so much more forgiving.

Aeana

You had your own Titan group going when ours was formed I think. We were in that hell hole for like 6 hours, had several gaf people come into the mumble channel wondering wth we were doing for so long.

We had so many issues with internet connections, so frustrating, especially with how fast we ended up getting it down when that was resolved.

So glad to get it done. Onto Ifrit, who seems so much more forgiving.

Yeah we struggled with internet connections today too which is a major reason why we didn't win.

Kenai

Anyway, in this sense I never wanted a FFXI-2, but a game that remembers it existed.

I think that there were a few good ideas in 1.x that were more FF11 related (like their new take on skillchains) that *could* have worked out if they weren't implemented terribly (I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of, I didn't play it that long). I said this prior, but I genuinely feel that if anything in particular received a lot of negative feedback prior to ARR that was already there, they seemed to prefer scrapping it entirely to err on the side of caution instead of trying to fix it (except for some of the more obvious things like Primals). And while I ended up not having a problem with that for the most part and can see why they did it, there are some things I wouldn't mind seeing again (like skillchains).

As for the "what is your answer to F2P WoW clones" you probably already know, but it's that this has the best console-related FF story in it since the Ps2 era (which I admit is not hard to accomplish) and many people have already treated it like one to see it through to the "end" and then be on their way, but those who remain seem to be plentiful (for now anyway). The FF franchise world aesthetics are all there without the requirement of massive dedication to accomplish something, and there also hasn't been a MMO that has taken advantage of the "weapon swapping" mechanic like this franchise, which is a big deal to keep people trying new things til they find what they like without needing to start over entirely.

Yes, I agree there is a ton of potential that could go to waste, and some things I wish they'd improve upon that they've already started. But they've already done quite a bit that I didn't think they would (ranging from party finder to more than acceptable class balancing) and I'm quite eager to see more.

Sophia

Undercutting is absurd. I've seen 14 items I have sold get undercutted by 30-50% by other sellers. Damn guild house prices are going to crash the market. :\

chrono01

well that was easy

grats. you guys earned it for how many hours you guys sat in the mumble.

i died early to plumes so that's why i'm at the bottom of the aggro
Thanks to everyone for their patience and commitment [as well as to Kagari, Kawazi, and Qhon for offering their assistance despite already having him defeated]. It was definitely an exciting kill!

I look forward to EX Ifrit, although he doesn't seem nearly as bad as EX Titan. I must watch some videos to better educate myself with that one.

Aeana

Everyone who has managed to beat Titan EX can feel good that they've managed to do something that the only group in the FC to beat Twin hasn't. (._. )

Mairu

Ifrit EX is super easy compared to Titan (which is isn't really that bad if you can avoid things). The dps isn't very tight on any of the nail phases and you can recover from people dying very easily.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Undercutting is absurd. I've seen 14 items I have sold get undercutted by 30-50% by other sellers. Damn guild house prices are going to crash the market. :\

Gotta love when you put up 10 potash for 4,999 when most are selling 5000+

To only come back and see your shit hasn't sold, but the dude who sold it for 2.5K is and there's 30+ potash @ 3.5K...

Lower your shit by a few gil, I understand, but fucking chunks, your just hurting yourself and the community at large

That Pharos Sirius loot table for the 1st boss is broken, why on earth does it keep dropping War Caligae(sp?) (new MNK boots)
Does it only drop those?

I've ran PS 7 times, all 7 times it's been those damn boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom