• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrono01

For our Coil group, the loot has been basically 75 percent caster loot, some DRG loot, a couple BRD stuff, 1 tank and 1 healing piece. Obviously the SMN (me) and the BLM (Myra) are quite satisfied.
Our Coil group hardly ever sees Caster-related items, mostly DRG gear as well as tanking items.

I have gotten relatively lucky with EX item drops yesterday, though [both the ring from Garuda and the earrings from Titan], so I cannot complain much. Still, I really want those pants from Turn 4, and apparently more of the Allagan items [since our BiS have changed slightly, so the Chest/Gloves/etc. are actually good for us now].

It's kind of funny. I passed on the Gloves in the past since they always dropped and I got kind of...irritated over that, and didn't even want to be in the presence of them. Now that I actually want them they refuse to drop.

Oh Square-Enix.

Sorian

Banned
Our Coil group hardly ever sees Caster-related items, mostly DRG gear as well as tanking items.

I have gotten relatively lucky with EX item drops yesterday, though [both the ring from Garuda and the earrings from Titan], so I cannot complain much. Still, I really want those pants from Turn 4, and apparently more of the Allagan items [since our BiS have changed slightly, so the Chest/Gloves/etc. are actually good for us now].

It's kind of funny. I passed on the Gloves in the past since they always dropped and I got kind of...irritated over that, and didn't even want to be in the presence of them. Now that I actually want them they refuse to drop.

Oh Square-Enix.

If it's for your current class and no one else needs it for their current class as well you should always pick up a pair, never know when that item will become important.

Undercutting is absurd. I've seen 14 items I have sold get undercutted by 30-50% by other sellers. Damn guild house prices are going to crash the market. :

a week ago 1 or 2 crafters started flooding the market with items i could safely sell for 5-14k. item spam with sometimes 7 items from a retainer for half the price. sometimes i would buy their shit and sell at my rate, but thats unsafe so i pretty much gave up now. tonight i was curious and rechecked prices. got greeted by a page full of 1k items. same retainers. sweetcindy or similar crap. how stupid can you be? congrats. i dont want to meet you in dungeons.

chrono01

If it's for your current class and no one else needs it for their current class as well you should always pick up a pair, never know when that item will become important.
Trust me, I will from now on. It was just a bit frustrating for me at that point in-time since I had no need for them and they were the only piece that dropped. Every. Single. Week.

As for now, though, I'll be rolling Need on any Allagan gear that drops [unless I already have it, of course]. Since items keep being added, and due to the shift of balance in regards to stats between current items, it's nice to have a selection to choose from in-case you need to make some alterations to your current gear-set [such as when you reach the ACC with a few items, you can go back and equip other equipment, that do not have ACC on them, that you were previously unable to do so].

Let us hope I have not angered the Loot/RNG Gods.

Oh Square-Enix.

We actually got those casting pants the first time we beat Turn 4, I let our BLM have them since I already had myth pants...though next time they drop, I'll need them since they seem to be bis for SMN. Majority of the casting stuff is accessories, if it wasn't for our BLM needing it, I'd have 3 alagan accessories already. RNG is so stupid.

Kronotech

I want to take my newish 50 PLD into the Duty Roulette but I'm scared I'm going to get some big dungeons I'm not familiar with. They should allow you to veto some that pop up.

chrono01

We actually got those casting pants the first time we beat Turn 4, I let our BLM have them since I already had myth pants...though next time they drop, I'll need them since they seem to be bis for SMN. Majority of the casting stuff is accessories, if it wasn't for our BLM needing it, I'd have 3 alagan accessories already. RNG is so stupid.
Yeah, they seem to be BiS for every caster, Also, first time through the place they dropped for you? That's some insane luck! We've been going for months and they've only dropped once [in which another of our BLM's got them].

RNG can indeed be a cruel foe.

gatti-man

Too bad that doesn't work in Crystal Tower.

And no one should be forced to level a job they don't want to level just because the shitty loot tables are shit and drop shit that nobody fucking wants.

I've got tank body and belt for my alt tank in ct pigging it no less.

And no one is forcing you to level alts. The only alt I haven't enjoyed is paladin. The loot tables are fucked but it's not some horribly dire thing .

Yeah, they seem to be BiS for every caster, Also, first time through the place they dropped for you? That's some insane luck! We've been going for months and they've only dropped once [in which another of our BLM's got them].

RNG can indeed be a cruel foe.

Yeah, wasn't even expecting them to drop but yea we got them first shot. Coil seems determined to gear our casters at the expense of everyone else. And the imaginary DRG that we don't have.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah, wasn't even expecting them to drop but yea we got them first shot. Coil seems determined to gear our casters at the expense of everyone else. And the imaginary DRG that we don't have.

You've got a ninth man on the field and a DRG watching out for you. Sometimes you just gotta let Freya take the wheel.

K.Sabot

Free Company picture day!

DbovBKz.jpg

6Wy93AE.jpg

Half of these scholars are just wannabe SCHs who play SMN.

Only 3 or so SCH with +1 or i90 gear haha.

Mairu

We've never gotten the tank chest/shield/bracer/neck/belt in my coil group :/

We've also gotten very little of the BRD set. Lots and lots of DRG/MNK & blm gear though!

Man, I've gotten so frustrated the past few days. I've been trying for the past three or four days to clear Garuda EX but the DF/PF teams always end up falling apart and the FC runs I've been on never work because we're never able to get two tanks who know what they're doing.

So, instead, I spent most of the day trying to farm Ultima HM, but, once again, most of the DF/PF teams I've run it with didn't know what they were doing. Even the PF group I joined to farm Ultima had both tanks die by the first Ifrit headbutt, lol.

Guess I'll just wait until Monday so I can get more CT/Myth gear. I need to find a Coil group.

Carlisle

I'm having such a blast with this game. It really hits all the right spots as far as having a fun, involving experience. Especially coming out of XI where I felt like I was always LFG or waiting for my TP to charge up for 10 minutes between attacks. Being able to rush into battle, chain a bunch of attacks one after the other, incurring bonuses, rushing into other battles right after, incurring more bonuses... it feels like I'm actually playing this game. What a treat.

Anyway, I'm Scian Carlisle on Ultros and would love to play with you guys sometime! Hanging about Ul'dah for now as I just got started out the other day :)

And no one is forcing you to level alts. The only alt I haven't enjoyed is paladin. The loot tables are fucked but it's not some horribly dire thing .

No it's pretty fucking dire. I have the Allagan tank boots. That's it. I have no other Allagan tank gear, stuff that goes on the left side of the character pane. Everything else on the left side is basically Mythology now because of my shit drops.

I have been doing Coil for 3 months, of which 2 are farms of Turns 1-4.

No it's pretty fucking dire. I have the Allagan tank boots. That's it. I have no other Allagan tank gear, stuff that goes on the left side of the character pane. Everything else on the left side is basically Mythology now because of my shit drops.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1566749/

x_x I've gotten pretty lucky with Coil drops. I need the gloves, though.

Nose Master

So, I had no idea DF was cross-server until tonight. Some dude asked me what server I was on and it was pretty confusing for a while there. Weiird.

Sophia

GAF or most people don't seem to like to partake in the use of Guild Websites for some reason. . .

Guild websites in general tend not to get participation, and a GAF Guild website means the person needs to check both the community thread for the game as welll as that. Most people just can't be bothered.

Zaptruder

Banned
What is the best DRG rotation?

Blood for Blood + Internal Release if up
Impulse Drive > Disembowel > Chaos Thrust
Heavy Thrust > Phlebotomize
True Thrust > Vorpal Thrust > Full Thrust
Power Surge > Jump if up
Then repeat.

That rotation should give maximize the value of your standard combo, keeping up DOTs and buffs with very little drop off between.

The above rotations are too complicated IMO. Crazy interleaving over a 70 second period where bosses invariably move around forcing a break in the chain. The one I've given you just start from the top when heavy thrust drops off (which should be at the end of the second standard combo rotation if the boss doesn't move around).

The best?

at least in theory if the boss would never move etc ;).

Also:

Outdated. The new changes from 2.1 has made things a lot simpler. Fracture is now worthless and a loss of dps to use at any time with the higher potency of several of our moves.

Heavy Thrust > Impulse Drive > Disembowel > Chaos Thrust > Phlebotomize > True Thrust > Vorpal Thrust > Full Thrust > Heavy Thrust > True Thrust > Vorpal Thrust > Full Thrust

Or to put it simply ;
H > IDC > P > TTT > H > TTT
P > IDC > H > TTT > H > TTT

This is currently the highest dps combo for sustained dps on large targets, the Chaos Thrust combo, then 2 of the Full Thrust Combos with alternating Heavy or Phleb between them. Comes out so that for the first Chaos Thrust combo has Heavy before it and the next has Phleb and so on. I of course am leaving out instant skill usage. You will want to weave them between hits and start after the first Heavy for maximum up time. You start off with the self buffs like Internal Release after Heavy and Blood for Blood after Impulse Drive, and then move onto the attacking cooldowns like Leg Sweep/Power Surge/Jump. Still be mindful of when to use Jumps since it still has an animation lock even if smaller. Spineshatter and Dragonfire are used as movement skills primarily and can be worked into spots you decide you need an extra hit or aoe move in fights where you don't believe you will need to quickly advance to targets.

Can also just go with the simple combo from before 2.1 as well of;

HP > IDC > TTT
HP > TTT > TTT

Over and over. Really easy to remember and work out instant skill usage since because of timings you will always be able to use certain instant skills after certain parts of combos, like Leg sweeps cooldown makes it s oyou can always use it after the first True Thrust of the first line and the second True Thrust of the second line. Same with Jump being able to come after every like Chaos Thrust with Power Surge after every other Disembowel iirc.

Really I just wanted to provide basic information, and if you want in depth stuff and reasoning and testing results go to;
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/79042-Dragoons-A-Rotation-Reborn
I believe the op is updated with 2.1 information. First ton of pages will of course be referring to old stuff so will need to skip to the end and go backwards to see what testing influenced what choices. Also provides stat weights and BIS gear lists. Enjoy.

Blood for Blood + Internal Release if up
Impulse Drive > Disembowel > Chaos Thrust
Heavy Thrust > Phlebotomize
Power Surge > Jump if up
Then repeat.

That rotation should give maximize the value of your standard combo, keeping up DOTs and buffs with very little drop off between.

The above rotations are too complicated IMO. Crazy interleaving over a 70 second period where bosses invariably move around forcing a break in the chain. The one I've given you just start from the top when heavy thrust drops off (which should be at the end of the second standard combo rotation if the boss doesn't move around).

You shouldn't use more then one instant skill between combo hits. Even and especially Power Surge and Jump. It will clip your moves and make skill speed have less value. Also Heavy always comes first in every conceivable situation.

gatti-man

That's just RNG. Some are lucky some aren't. You and i arent. I just have boots but at least there is af2, em primals and ct.

Sorian

Banned
Bleh, I'm still bitter about the FC run last night for garuda. We had her down to a sliver of health as she teleported away after plume phase and that sister phase was, of course, one where we had to be unlucky with double wicked wheel :/ Oh well, back to it tonight. At least tomorrow I can hop back into CT, hopefully I can get the head or body piece and I'll have enough myth this week to buy the af2 for the other slot. Hoping that'll be a nice boost for me.

Zaptruder

Banned
Outdated. The new changes from 2.1 has made things a lot simpler. Fracture is now worthless and a loss of dps to use at any time with the higher potency of several of our moves.

Heavy Thrust > Impulse Drive > Disembowel > Chaos Thrust > Phlebotomize > True Thrust > Vorpal Thrust > Full Thrust > Heavy Thrust > True Thrust > Vorpal Thrust > Full Thrust

Or to put it simply ;
H > IDC > P > TTT > H > TTT
P > IDC > H > TTT > H > TTT

This is currently the highest dps combo for sustained dps on large targets, the Chaos Thrust combo, then 2 of the Full Thrust Combos with alternating Heavy or Phleb between them. Comes out so that for the first Chaos Thrust combo has Heavy before it and the next has Phleb and so on. I of course am leaving out instant skill usage. You will want to weave them between hits and start after the first Heavy for maximum up time. You start off with the self buffs like Internal Release after Heavy and Blood for Blood after Impulse Drive, and then move onto the attacking cooldowns like Leg Sweep/Power Surge/Jump. Still be mindful of when to use Jumps since it still has an animation lock even if smaller. Spineshatter and Dragonfire are used as movement skills primarily and can be worked into spots you decide you need an extra hit or aoe move in fights where you don't believe you will need to quickly advance to targets.

Can also just go with the simple combo from before 2.1 as well of;

HP > IDC > TTT
HP > TTT > TTT

Over and over. Really easy to remember and work out instant skill usage since because of timings you will always be able to use certain instant skills after certain parts of combos, like Leg sweeps cooldown makes it s oyou can always use it after the first True Thrust of the first line and the second True Thrust of the second line. Same with Jump being able to come after every like Chaos Thrust with Power Surge after every other Disembowel iirc.

Really I just wanted to provide basic information, and if you want in depth stuff and reasoning and testing results go to;
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/79042-Dragoons-A-Rotation-Reborn
I believe the op is updated with 2.1 information. First ton of pages will of course be referring to old stuff so will need to skip to the end and go backwards to see what testing influenced what choices. Also provides stat weights and BIS gear lists. Enjoy.

You shouldn't use more then one instant skill between combo hits. Even and especially Power Surge and Jump. It will clip your moves and make skill speed have less value. Also Heavy always comes first in every conceivable situation.

Hideously complicated.

Sure, you're correct if the player can pull it off consistently without fail... but in the heat of the action, can be tricky to pull off consistently every time.

If you're a higher skill player, I'd recommend it... if not, I'd suggest the simpler rotation that I've devised. On DPS charts, I still perform consistently well, punching above my gear level relative to other dragoons I party with - because it is a relatively simple rotation that is easy to keep track of.

If you pull off both correctly - the more complicated interweaving rotation will provide a 5% damage boost... but it also means if you make an error 1 out of 20 times, you're losing DPS with a more complicated rotation.

Sorian

Banned
Is there good parser software out there for FFXIV? I don't think I had even thought about checking my dps in this game.

Hideously complicated.

Sure, you're correct if the player can pull it off consistently without fail... but in the heat of the action, can be tricky to pull off consistently every time.

If you're a higher skill player, I'd recommend it... if not, I'd suggest the simpler rotation that I've devised. On DPS charts, I still perform consistently well, punching above my gear level relative to other dragoons I party with - because it is a relatively simple rotation that is easy to keep track of.

If you pull off both correctly - the more complicated interweaving rotation will provide a 5% damage boost... but it also means if you make an error 1 out of 20 times, you're losing DPS with a more complicated rotation.

Gonna be honest with you. The rotation I posted is really simple. It is just a Chaos Thrust combo followed by 2 Full Thrust combos with rotating Heavy and Phleb between them. You can judge at any time what the next combo set is by looking at your buffs/mob debuffs if you lose your place. The only complex thing is weaving in instant attacks, which is something that you need to do no mater what combo you are doing.

Bleh, I'm still bitter about the FC run last night for garuda. We had her down to a sliver of health as she teleported away after plume phase and that sister phase was, of course, one where we had to be unlucky with double wicked wheel :/ Oh well, back to it tonight. At least tomorrow I can hop back into CT, hopefully I can get the head or body piece and I'll have enough myth this week to buy the af2 for the other slot. Hoping that'll be a nice boost for me.

If it makes you feel any better, that groups killed her like an hour later with some replacements for the people that left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom