• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

Is it just me or are most ppl in the GAF FC unhelpful at best, and flat out selfish at worst?

Yesterday, I spent roughly 20 minutes asking ppl in the GAF FC if they would be willing to help me run Hydra so I could get my relic weapon. With the exception of one gaffer, literally everyone ignored me all my repeated requests for help. One gaffer even made a smarmy comment at me, which was completely uncalled for. It seems that now that most gaffers have already got their relics, they've adopted a FUCK YOU GOT MINE attitude to helping newbies.

Maybe I should consider switching FCs.

Is this your first mmorpg? I'm not into Gaf FC, but believe me, things are not magically get better once you change FC.

Population cap for each field? "Sorry, can't zone into South Shroud, population cap reached"? I hope I'm reading that wrong.

Oh, I think you are reading it right. It will be fun to see how this affects areas already populated like Mor and Coerthas.

Torquill

Has anyone seen the Sharknado reference for one of the FATEs? I'm still confused by this because I could have sworn that Sharknado released at around the same time FFXIV did or at least after translation should have been complete already.!
Interesting. What method are you using to come up with a date when all FATE development should be complete?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

Are all the trolls out this morning?

Did I miss a memo?

got into this awesome PUG

First time we get it to down to wave 5, just by doing regular
Second time regress a little, get to heart
Ask for the auto attack till wave 3, then go balls to the wall, build around 2.5 LB beforehand
get it down to 30%
Repeat 20%
Now the SMN sics their pet on the Titan before we have buffs up and send the tank...
Three times in a row, they just bounce

So they made people think they we were going to win, waste 45 minutes, then bounce by troll pulling/goofing off

So demoralizing, Jesus

The fight is so hella fucking simple, I swear to god it's nothing but a shifting mechanic and knowing when weight of the land is coming and preemptively moving before plume comes underneath you
Hell the more spread out you are the better >_<

aceface

GAF FC has been great to me. Most of the guild has understandably moved on to endgame stuff but I don't get a lot of time to play every week so I'm still slowly going through the first dungeons, just beat copperbell last night. Every time I've gotten a party through the FC of people who are at 50 and don't really have anything to gain from doing an early dungeon but are happy to help.

Alucrid

Banned
I hope they don't increase myth cap. Sure it's completely artificial but if everyone was able to gear up 2nd or 3rd jobs with AF2 gear and Relic+1 it'd lesson the impact of having the top end gear. It should take time and be a tough decision in gearing up with that stuff. To me, AF2 and Relic+1 is you "marrying" your primary job.
Agreed, upping the cap would make getting high end gear even more ridiculously easy.

dramatis

Well, I couldn't ask for more solid proof than that!

I'll check the configuration again. D-Pad Left would be nice and easy.
There are two kinds of target configurations, which happen to show up in separate tabs (this is pretty awkward). I'm working off memory here, but one is just 1 checkbox above two columns of checkboxes. That one determines what the system is willing to target if you hit X before you hit the DPad, and is considered how the game targets under the filter "ALL" (this word shows up just above your green health bar).

There's a second configuration. I forgot the name of the tab, but it should be "Targets" or "Filters". I remember it as being third tab in char config > char settings.

This screen shows, after scrolling down a bit, 4 separate bunches of checkboxes with a dropdown menu above each bunch. These determine what targets you can sift through if you press L1+Triangle, L1+X, and so on.

For instance, I have L1+Square set to "Enemies" (dropdown), so if I want to only target enemies when hitting Left or Right on Dpad, I press L1+Square, the "ALL" above my health bar changes to "Enemies" and now I bang on Left and Right to get the enemy I want to select. This is my default in dungeons since Up/Down is always Party and Self.

But oh no! There's a player dying in a FATE that I'm not in a party with. I hit L1+X, which is a "Custom" filter that I set with to filter only other Players (doesn't target party, there's no reason to). Now I hit Left/Right on Dpad until I get to Mr. Dying Player and the target reticule will only highlight other players.

I think you're only using the filters from the first config and not the second config?

I shouldn't be surprised by this... but the thread about the database exploit that was made on the official forums is gone.

Hopefully they at least passed the information contained in the thread along to the development team..

Could be that it devolved into a bashing thread.. anything is possible with that community...

Alucrid

Banned
GAF FC has been great to me. Most of the guild has understandably moved on to endgame stuff but I don't get a lot of time to play every week so I'm still slowly going through the first dungeons, just beat copperbell last night. Every time I've gotten a party through the FC of people who are at 50 and don't really have anything to gain from doing an early dungeon but are happy to help.

I'm trying to space out my alt classes a bit for this reason.

Mileena

Banned
It's actually pretty easy if you have an offtank with good reflexes for Caduceus (when they split, the OT needs to grab it ASAP while he gets into position)

Turn 2 is much harder
ya I found that out last night. T1 was free but so many wipes on 2. Apparently allagan rot is too hard for some dummies to comprehend.

Also if I knew brd was just a stun bitch like drk I would have leveled mnk instead :[

Alucrid

Banned
ya I found that out last night. T1 was free but so many wipes on 2. Apparently allagan rot is too hard for some dummies to comprehend.

Also if I knew brd was just a stun bitch like drk I would have leveled mnk instead :[

Silence bitch. Monk would also be silence bitch. Only DRG is safe.

I have what is probably a super simple question, but here goes. I did CM for the first time last night and had issues using the cannons on the first phase of the final boss (the
mounted phase
). When the cannon was loaded and I right clicked on it, nothing happened. I didn't get the extra action bar that let's me fire the cannon.

Anyone else have this happen? Was I doing something wrong? I use a controller and m&k (I find some precision targeting faster with the mouse when things get frantic) - could this be the problem? I'd like to make sure I get this figured out before I do the dungeon again and make my party carry me through the last battle :/

Alucrid

Banned
I have what is probably a super simple question, but here goes. I did CM for the first time last night and had issues using the cannons on the first phase of the final boss (the
mounted phase
). When the cannon was loaded and I right clicked on it, nothing happened. I didn't get the extra action bar that let's me fire the cannon.

Anyone else have this happen? Was I doing something wrong? I use a controller and m&k (I find some precision targeting faster with the mouse when things get frantic) - could this be the problem? I'd like to make sure I get this figured out before I do the dungeon again and make my party carry me through the last battle :/

Well uh, if you're on a mount that's Prae. Anyways it should be the pet bar. I've never had trouble with it popping up. It's not a huge deal anyways, everything dies in 2 hits or so. I'm not sure how pet bars work with controllers, so it might be something there.

Well uh, if you're on a mount that's Prae. Anyways it should be the pet bar. I've never had trouble with it popping up. It's not a huge deal anyways, everything dies in 2 hits or so.

no the boss is mounted, I'm not :)
It's the general on the white Magitek. I don't remember her name, but I promise it was CM - I haven't done Prae at all yet!

Alucrid

Banned
no the boss is mounted, I'm not :)
It's the general on the white Magitek. I don't remember her name, but I promise it was CM - I haven't done Prae at all yet!

Oh, well then once you click the canon you should get a target icon you can move around the ground. You don't get a pet bar in that case. Might have been some confusion between the mouse and controller input perhaps?

Oh, well then once you click the canon you should get a target icon you can move around the ground.

Yeah I watched a video on youtube afterward and the player clicked the cannon and it brought up a new bar with an icon to click. He clicked that and then got the target to move around on the ground. Problem for me was I never got the new bar with the new icon so I was never able to get to the targeting point. Maybe I'll just ask to tank her next time so I don't have to worry about it.

Xilium

Yeah I watched a video on youtube afterward and the player clicked the cannon and it brought up a new bar with an icon to click. He clicked that and then got the target to move around on the ground. Problem for me was I never got the new bar with the new icon so I was never able to get to the targeting point. Maybe I'll just ask to tank her next time so I don't have to worry about it.

Were you on the right cannon? There are two cannons for each loader and the one that is loaded will have red lights on its base when it's ready to be fired.

In any case, you really only need two people doing their job during that phase (one for each side). Usually when I run CM, most of the group is just goofing off during that phase of the boss fight (or simply lost if they're new). It's no biggie being carried during in that particular instance of the dungeon.

Were you on the right cannon? There are two cannons for each loader and the one that is loaded will have red lights on its base when it's ready to be fired.

In any case, you really only need two people doing their job during that phase (one for each side). Usually when I run CM, most of the group is just goofing off during that phase of the boss fight (or simply lost if they're new). It's no biggie being carried during in that particular instance of the dungeon.

I think I was on the flashing cannon, but I'll keep an eye out on that for next time. Thanks for the reassurance, though! I feel a little better about being the one running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Aeana

Being locked out of a zone I need to be in because it's too full sounds frustrating as hell and honestly not acceptable.

And if you're trying to log in and the zone is currently full, what happens? Can't play at all?

daveo42

Banned
Caught up on the tread.

First, some cool fixes in the works, but the idea of locking out zones seems like a bandaid on the current issues that revolve around HNM FATEs.

Then the exploit. I'm not sure what to even think about this after the session ID mess they still have where they don't expire. It's almost like SE wants their game to be full of security holes.

Finally, here's hoping they add tomes or more incentives to run other dungeons at end game. AK isn't bad, but it gets tiring from running it several times a week. Tomes for running an early dungeon while using a capped job, tomes for CM or Prae after beating on story mode. Even added drops of tomes from mobs. Anything to keep me from going insane running AK over and over again.

Please.

Torquill

This is what I would do:

Every DF entry gives tomes once a week when cleared by a character that has completed the Main Scenario. Volume of tomes is relative to level of DF entry.

You have an implicit rather than an explicit cap, which works better psychologically. You can spread out the existing 300 tomes across all those entries. People will be happier running more than the existing 8 DF runs when it's less monotonous, and your time sink is actually improved.

You can choose to just run the handful of the high level DFs for the bulk of the tomes, and can then help with lower level DF If you want to Max your tomes per week.

Ultrabum

This is what I would do:

Every DF entry gives tomes once a week when cleared by a character that has completed the Main Scenario. Volume of tomes is relative to level of DF entry.

You have an implicit rather than an explicit cap, which works better psychologically. You can spread out the existing 300 tomes across all those entries. People will be happier running more than the existing 8 DF runs when it's less monotonous, and your time sink is actually improved.

You can choose to just run the handful of the high level DFs for the bulk of the tomes, and can then help with lower level DF If you want to Max your tomes per week.

That would be cool.

I would add a simple quest: go beat WP, then do X then beat AK, then 1 primal, come back get Y myth, Z philo. (Still get regular tomes from beating each encounter) quest resets once a week.

Torquill

I practice it's not that big a deal as we're talking about the zones being locked for 45 min to an hour every 3 days or so.

Philosophically is still sucks and sets a bad precedent.

If they are unable to keep zones stable during high level fates then they need to move those into special sub zones accessible in Behemoths Domain and the Fancy Water Spring places in Black Shroud and lock those.

Or better yet, add a Gil sink by selling little items that notify you of a pop right away and let you install zone into the fate instance from anywhere in the open world.

Torquill

Why not do what many other MMO's do? Make multiple channels for a zone.
If that is not something that was kept in mind during development, there may be many technical, design, and balance issues to address before doing that.

For example, what really industrious servers can start forcing multiple instances of Coerthas to spawn to increase behemoth appearances, etx. All stuff that can be addressed (only allow behemoth in the prime instance), but there's lots old little gotchas like that probably hiding in wait to bite you.

Went to run Dzemeal for the first time. PUG'd with a group that seemed to have it together. Made it to the first boss, tank gets mad I'm pulling "too much aggro" (as BLM, and was never close to red indicator), throws a fit and stands at the barrier with his back to the rest of us.

We downed the boss anyway. But my god what I would have given for a kick button right then.

Aeana

I'd be okay with something similar to gw2 being added(overflow servers)
Probably would be a lot of work to add. But if they ever did add that, it shouldn't be too hard to go a step further and make it so you can party with people from other servers (outside of dungeons) like in GW2, too, and that would be great.

Expect them to do nothing, though.

MechaX

FATEs like Behemoth, Odin, and Svara get into another problem in addition to zone locking ramifications.

As it stands now, PS3 players (which could include a small or large subset of 200k+ purchasers in Japan alone) will probably never be able to see such FATEs unless they both get there before the rush and have every single effect and text display turned off. In combination with how zone locking might work, it kinda sucks to penalize the console players in part due to events they can't even participate in.

pitbull

Banned
Seriously got trolled on Titan twice in a row, had 2 happen yesterday, a few before that

Why the hell would you join then insta-withdraw, wasting time

Seriously, you waste time waiting through a DF then bounce

I've gotten to the heart multiple times with PUG's, it's just wave 5 when most lose their cool and start fucking up

Now these troll withdraws are really starting to piss me off

you're using duty finder for Titan HM?

As it stands now, PS3 players (which could include a small or large subset of 200k+ purchasers in Japan alone) will probably never be able to see such FATEs unless they both get there before the rush and have every single effect and text display turned off. In combination with how zone locking might work, it kinda sucks to penalize the console players in part due to events they can't even participate in.

In Bluefog it's a tossup if I even see anything during a fate. Sometimes the screen is just completely blank, even with all effects and most UI elements off.

I got really lucky with Myth Tome capping this week - a couple of very geared parties, burning through and stacking pulls, and the best thing ever...

...using Duty Finder for AK and getting in at Demon Wall and Last Boss! 80 Myth Tomes in like 20 minutes.

So hey guys, who's the superior healer in your opinion? WHM or SCH?

Aeana

Neither is wholly superior or inferior to the other. They do things very differently, and thus complement each other incredibly well. Just different approaches to healing. So I guess the actual answer to this is that it depends on your playstyle and whether you like preventative healing (like disc priest in WoW) or big spiky heals (like holy priest in WoW).

Shouta

Due to how much of a bitch Ifrit is when it comes to dropping his weapon and given how no one seems to ever run Garuda in the FC or even in DF, I'm really tempted to throw in the towel and just gun straight for my relic weapon.

In terms of Titan, how much HP would I need at minimum to survive his attacks? And would I really, really need a primal weapon just to do enough damage to not have the group wipe?

You'll want 3300 or more and more is better ot keep your HP up. It's important to practice dodging all the attacks too. For reference, getting blown up by a Bomb Boulder after the heart went down one-shotted me on my Monk and I had 3800 HP at the time. It's dodge-able so yeah, practice.

You'll still want to try and get a weapon either from Ifrit or Garuda though as it'll help your overall performance though. You'll need to go through them anyway to get to Titan.

Ultrabum

I got really lucky with Myth Tome capping this week - a couple of very geared parties, burning through and stacking pulls, and the best thing ever...

...using Duty Finder for AK and getting in at Demon Wall and Last Boss! 80 Myth Tomes in like 20 minutes.

They work best together whm + sch op in 8 man fights.

GorillaJu

Do you refuse to cast ballad because you don't want to be a mana bitch?

It's not like silencing lowers your DPS. I pulled top DPS in Turn 2 in my group.

Alucrid

Banned
So stupid healer question. When doing 8 mans how often do you communicate with the other healer to prevent things like overhealing or letting someone die because you think the other person has it? Is it mainly just at the start choosing who's on the MT and who's on party heals?

Aeana

So stupid healer question. When do 8 mans how often do you communicate with the other healer to prevent things like overhealing or letting someone die because you think the other person has it? Is it mainly just at the start choosing who's on the MT and who's on party heals?
I only bother with this in Coil. It's not really necessary in other content, primarily because it's easy to pick up on what the other healer is focusing on and adapt. Also most non-Coil encounters aren't designed such that you need someone stuck specifically to one person anyway. For Coil it's absolutely necessary to make it clear who's doing what though, or it's going to be much harder than it needs to be.

So glad we're getting some changes next week. I'm assuming the changes to DOT's are classified as UI changes. Hopefully one of those dungeon changes will be making WP relevant, its a shame in its current form that I rarely see anyone running it.

So stupid healer question. When doing 8 mans how often do you communicate with the other healer to prevent things like overhealing or letting someone die because you think the other person has it? Is it mainly just at the start choosing who's on the MT and who's on party heals?

Oh dear, you're already making plans to heal 8 mans...and I thought Mira WAR was bad. D:

Alucrid

Banned
I only bother with this in Coil. It's not really necessary in other content, primarily because it's easy to pick up on what the other healer is focusing on and adapt. Also most non-Coil encounters aren't designed such that you need someone stuck specifically to one person anyway. For Coil it's absolutely necessary to make it clear who's doing what though, or it's going to be much harder than it needs to be.

Ok, thanks. I'll probably go through all the story 4/8 mans and what not just to get a feel for it first.

So glad we're getting some changes next week. I'm assuming the changes to DOT's are classified as UI changes. Hopefully one of those dungeon changes will be making WP relevant, its a shame in its current form that I rarely see anyone running it.

Oh dear, you're already making plans to heal 8 mans...and I thought Mira WAR was bad. D:

Have fun getting me through Titan!

Was wondering why this thread had 400 extra posts since I checked yesterday afternoon, lots of crazy shit going on. Hopefully SE has some serious plans in the works to countermeasure this ridiculous exploit. And these new hot fix notes? Awesome. Next week sounds pretty sweet. Looking forward to more variety in my myth farming and interested in this "difficulty change" to lvl 50 instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom