• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esura

Banned
Gratz. Just the Prae to go. =o

And now I finished it.

Or rather the party I got from the Duty Finder finished it because fuck me if I'm new and want to watch cutscenes, there is an inn and its seven to one so deal! God, worse Duty Finder party ever. If only I had my keyboard I could've typed out some nasty responses to that bitch of tank but all as well that I didn't or I'd be getting banned lol. Damn that other healer for raising her during that second Ultimate Weapon fight which is the only boss fight I got to participate in. Refused to heal her in particular that entire fight after the shit she said...

DrDogg

I'm starting to see more and more "poor sports" these days. In 4 out of my last 6 Brayflox runs, the tank rage quit. Each time it was after a wipe, but in most cases it was a simple mistake and nothing to rage quit over.

The last time this happened, the tank complained that he wanted to get into a run already in progress, then said something about "PS3 cutscene watchers" before rage quitting after he died (no one else died).

It's getting a little annoying that people are so lame about this stuff.

Cmagus

I'm starting to see more and more "poor sports" these days. In 4 out of my last 6 Brayflox runs, the tank rage quit. Each time it was after a wipe, but in most cases it was a simple mistake and nothing to rage quit over.

The last time this happened, the tank complained that he wanted to get into a run already in progress, then said something about "PS3 cutscene watchers" before rage quitting after he died (no one else died).

It's getting a little annoying that people are so lame about this stuff.

Honestly man found a small group in your level range and go from there. The DF is a lost cause it really is. I don't even have party chat on in DF anymore for Castrum runs I just got tired of it. I've though of creating a LS for the purposes of getting people caught up but I'll probably wait to do it after server transfer. Been thinking of heading over to Sargatanas again but not sure.

Mandoric

Banned
If the problem becomes widespread enough I don't think GM can't ban ppl fast enough.

Sure, but that's pretty damn wide.
It also depends on just how it got loose. "Undetectable" hacks tend to get very detectable based on implementation. It takes a lot of detective work to find a guy who awards himself AF2 body when he already has 900 myth, but very little to ban everyone who got a full set of AF2 in the space of about 20 seconds while standing in Limsa because they clicked the "suit me up" button in a trainer.

Alucrid

Banned
And now I finished it.

Or rather the party I got from the Duty Finder finished it because fuck me if I'm new and want to watch cutscenes, there is an inn and its seven to one so deal! God, worse Duty Finder party ever. If only I had my keyboard I could've typed out some nasty responses to that bitch of tank but all as well that I didn't or I'd be getting banned lol. Damn that other healer for raising her during that second Ultimate Weapon fight which is the only boss fight I got to participate in. Refused to heal her in particular that entire fight after the shit she said...

While it sucks that they were complete dicks to you I don't see where acting vindictive and petty gets you. If you don't like the group then you should just leave.

Aeana

Hmph. Done with work and stuff for the week, but I'm sitting here wondering if I should even bother playing this weekend. I know a rollback is like super unlikely, but it's not like I don't have other things to do (still have barely started Sen no Kiseki!).

So, if I may ask, what are peoples' thoughts on controller support in this game? I'm playing it with a controller and loving it. A few targeting issues but nothing game breaking at all. Just started running dungeons and it's working great.

Esura

Banned
While it sucks that they were complete dicks to you I don't see where acting vindictive and petty gets you. If you don't like the group then you should just leave.

Gets me to the ending. I be damn if I'm going to leave after waiting all that time to get into one. I never leave groups, I stick with them until the timer goes down whether they suck or not. Isn't there like a penalty anyway for leaving midway?

Item Box

Hmph. Done with work and stuff for the week, but I'm sitting here wondering if I should even bother playing this weekend. I know a rollback is like super unlikely, but it's not like I don't have other things to do (still have barely started Sen no Kiseki!).

coil runs yo

DrDogg

Honestly man found a small group in your level range and go from there. The DF is a lost cause it really is. I don't even have party chat on in DF anymore for Castrum runs I just got tired of it. I've though of creating a LS for the purposes of getting people caught up but I'll probably wait to do it after server transfer. Been thinking of heading over to Sargatanas again but not sure.

I have a small group that I run with (all GAF), but they're not always on when I'm on. In those instances, I'll use DF. The level of play is lower, and there's some frustration for sure, but I expect that and I'm okay with it for the purposes of DF. But when tanks start rage quitting at such frequent intervals for such petty deeds... yeah, that's pushing it over the top for me.

Victrix

*beard*
So, if I may ask, what are peoples' thoughts on controller support in this game? I'm playing it with a controller and loving it. A few targeting issues but nothing game breaking at all. Just started running dungeons and it's working great.

It's very good. If you're smart with your advanced configuration options and macro usage, there's no content you can't do.

m/kb is probably still slightly faster for certain things, but I can't see that mattering outside a few edge cases

Use whatever you find most comfortable - or even both, you can always switch between the two depending on what you're doing at the time

Mandoric

Banned

If you don't need more that 16 actions, it has potential. You lose a little on targeting in some situations, gain a little in others, lose some durational movement precision along with a frame or two in deadzone but gain some angular precision.

Personally I haven't had any problem using it as BLM for all content up to coil. I'm not sure I'd want to use it as a pet class, though.

Lily

The only problem i have had running a DRG is during AK, sometimes i cannot target or have great difficulty targetting the Demon Wall. Other than that, its been excellent. really easy to use.

It's very good. If you're smart with your advanced configuration options and macro usage, there's no content you can't do.

m/kb is probably still slightly faster for certain things, but I can't see that mattering outside a few edge cases

Use whatever you find most comfortable - or even both, you can always switch between the two depending on what you're doing at the time

I've been primarily using the controller, but I like to add in the mouse/KB when necessary or when it's more suited to the situation.

It also makes me sad to see all the DF horror stories. I've yet to have a terrible experience in the DF and most of them have been great. I've never encountered a rage quit, and even when people struggle with content, no one is raging. I hope we're just hearing the negative stories because they are easier to talk about, but I don't hesitate to use the DF.

Even last night when I jumped into a CM DF (with 3 other DOT members) no one said a word about the people watching the cutscenes or complained when the first timers made mistakes.

If I'm just lucky I hope it holds up!

The only problem i have had running a DRG is during AK, sometimes i cannot target or have great difficulty targetting the Demon Wall. Other than that, its been excellent. really easy to use.

Are you using L1 + Right stick to zoom out? Helps a lot to target him.

Marceles

Are you using L1 + Right stick to zoom out? Helps a lot to target him.

It's really hard to target him if you don't come into the room with him already targeted. You pretty much have to L1 + Right stick to zoom out AND aim the camera towards the ceiling. The bad part about that is when you rub the camera on the ground, it zooms back in anyway. All of this while dodging all of his crap. During one run, the only damage I did was kill off the adds it was so tough to target the wall lol.

Kokonoe

Banned
10,800,000 gil for 275 dollars. Does anyone actually pay these amounts? It's essentially throwing your money away, and those are absurd prices to begin with. It's also not subtle at all.

Mandoric

Banned
If you're whining about people in DF wanting to speedrun CM you're kinda self-centered because at 50 or so runs a job people in queue are a lot more likely to be there for the tomes

If you're whining about people in DF watching the cutscenes in CM you're kinda bad because, honestly, the only part of the dungeon that can't be four-manned with decent gear is getting all four cannons on the last boss at once while someone holds her in the middle (and that's fine with 5). So go ahead, wreck all the trash while your team enjoys the plot.

Esura

Banned
I've been primarily using the controller, but I like to add in the mouse/KB when necessary or when it's more suited to the situation.

It also makes me sad to see all the DF horror stories. I've yet to have a terrible experience in the DF and most of them have been great. I've never encountered a rage quit, and even when people struggle with content, no one is raging. I hope we're just hearing the negative stories because they are easier to talk about, but I don't hesitate to use the DF.

Even last night when I jumped into a CM DF (with 3 other DOT members) no one said a word about the people watching the cutscenes or complained when the first timers made mistakes.

If I'm just lucky I hope it holds up!

Many of my DF runs have been pretty good so the bad ones like I had in Prae sticks out much more.

The DF run I had the most fun with though was all the Primals story battles and my second run in Cape Westwind. We wiped so many times but we kept going while saying we gonna get them this time. Every wipe we ended up learning something new and it felt really good once we finished those boss fights. Some of those people were in my server and we friendlisted and LS each other.

It's really hard to target him if you don't come into the room with him already targeted. You pretty much have to L1 + Right stick to zoom out AND aim the camera towards the ceiling. The bad part about that is when you rub the camera on the ground, it zooms back in anyway. All of this while dodging all of his crap. During one run, the only damage I did was kill off the adds it was so tough to target the wall lol.

Are you using the shoulders/bumpers for targeting, or the d-pad? There shouldn't be any issues with targeting if you are using the shoulder buttons.

According to a poster at BG They've been using the exploit since phase 4 of the beta and supplying Gil to Rmts. I just have trouble swallowing that SE would not shut the severs down until they've fixed it. They seemed to close turn 5 the day after an exploit was found why would the move so slowly on something that will literally ruin the game for the years

studyguy

Are you using the shoulders/bumpers for targeting, or the d-pad? There shouldn't be any issues with targeting if you are using the shoulder buttons.

It's an issue on controllers. Anything that the game considers behind you cannot be targeted even using the shoulder buttons. Since Demon Wall is right in your face for people who get pushed to the wall, the camera zooms and his circle is so large that the game seems to go OKAY THIS GUY IS BEHIND YOU! TARGET EVERYTHING ELSE BUT HIM!

You have to pan out to target him or use a mouse to click him. It's a pain.
Honestly the fact that the camera forces a zoom in on some walls is fucking terrible as a tank where you have awkward camera angles that happen due to boundaries in the stage. I don't think I've had issues in other MMOs when doing similar things. Either walls go transparent or something, but there are just random walls and areas where the camera goes nope and zooms way in and screws with your view.

Marceles

D-pad, how do you target with the shoulder buttons? L2 and R2 are for the hotbar skills, L1 is autorun and R1 is to cycle through your hotbars. All I know is right and left d-pad are for enemies and up and down are for party members, but if the game doesn't have the camera set on something that's targetable it's useless.

pitbull

Banned
I'm not at all confident that they will even happen.
We seem to have a super difficult time getting everyone online at the same time.

o_O well i mean if people are showing up because they think other people arent showing up.....

I know elliot had stuff come up but 1 dps for turn 1 shouldnt be too hard... gonna be pretty disappointed if we don't run at all this week tho

It's an issue on controllers. Anything that the game considers behind you cannot be targeted even using the shoulder buttons. Since Demon Wall is right in your face for people who get pushed to the wall, the camera pans and his circle is so large that the game seems to go OKAY THIS GUY IS BEHIND YOU! TARGET EVERYTHING ELSE BUT HIM!

You have to pan out to target him or use a mouse to click him. It's a pain.

Hm, I tank with a controller and I've never had this problem. As long as the thing I want is on-screen at all and within a workable range, the trigger targeting method works for me. I have had issues with the camera, but only when I use lock-on. I stopped using lock-on specifically because the camera controls do kinda suck with controllers, especially when you are a Lalafell tank with big ass monsters all up in your face.

D-pad, how do you target with the shoulder buttons? L2 and R2 are for the hotbar skills, L1 is autorun and R1 is to cycle through your hotbars. All I know is right and left d-pad are for enemies and up and down are for party members, but if the game doesn't have the camera set on something that's targetable it's useless.

Sorry - I swapped the triggers and shoulders for my config. But if you are holding down the hotbar buttons (which in your case is L2/R2) and you tap the shoulders (L1/R1) then it will cycle through all available enemy targets. It's much better than the d-pad for targeting in battle because it does not include PCs, NPCs or pets.

studyguy

Sorry - I swapped the triggers and shoulders for my config. But if you are holding down the hotbar buttons (which in your case is L2/R2) and you tap the shoulders (L1/R1) then it will cycle through all available enemy targets. It's much better than the d-pad for targeting in battle because it does not include PCs, NPCs or pets.

You can actually edit that targeting system if you feel the need to as well so it changes modes. Very useful if you for some reason want more than enemy targeting or want to do ally targeting.

You can change what targets you can uh... target in the character config menu. I'd highly recommend it. I was having issues at first but I tweaked it and don't target any of that stuff anymore.

edit: beaten ; ;

J-Rod

I like watching the cutscenes, but I do sort of understand people not wanting you to in prae. It's a long dungeon and there are just a ton of cutscenes there. Also, time can become an issue if there are a lot of first timers.

Aeana

If you're whining about people in DF wanting to speedrun CM you're kinda self-centered because at 50 or so runs a job people in queue are a lot more likely to be there for the tomes

If you're whining about people in DF watching the cutscenes in CM you're kinda bad because, honestly, the only part of the dungeon that can't be four-manned with decent gear is getting all four cannons on the last boss at once while someone holds her in the middle (and that's fine with 5). So go ahead, wreck all the trash while your team enjoys the plot.
Awful. No. People have every right to watch the cutscenes in the game, and the duty finder does not give anybody a way to declare what they're in it for.

Self-centered? Really? And they aren't self-centered for wanting people to skip their fucking story just so they can finish the instance a little bit faster? There should be no expectation that people who are new to the instance will skip scenes if you're using the duty finder to fill out a group. This whole subject pisses me off immensely. The kind of disrespect that people have for others' game time is insane. It's a totally different story if you're building a group via shout with a disclaimer that it is indeed a speedrun group and that a certain level of expectations is in place. But with the duty finder, tough shit, deal with it. Not everybody has finished the game yet, and they need to finish it.

The worst thing about it is that a lot of these people got to see the cutscenes when they did it their first time, and they are unwilling to let others do the same.

MechaX

I like watching the cutscenes, but I do sort of understand people not wanting you to in prae. It's a long dungeon and there are just a ton of cutscenes there. Also, time can become an issue if there are a lot of first timers.

The fault for that should be solely with Square for making one of the three decent sources of tomes be a story-heavy dungeon. And the risk of PUGing something is that there will be some first-timers. If a player doesn't want to deal with that, they can shout for a speedrun group or join an FC in order to eliminate the risk of cutscene watchers to exactly zero.

Ah cool, thanks. It's a shame SE didn't put in some more effort and do a serious controls manual for the game. I absolutely love the gamepad controls but they are pretty convoluted and it would go a long way to explain all the customization in depth.

frequency

You're self centered for thinking it is justified to ruin weeks/months of story build up just so you can go a little bit faster.

For someone like me who would spend several months to reach that level, speed runners completely ruin 50 levels of work over countless hours to see the finale of a major reason I even play the game. For a speed runner to wait for a cutscene to finish, the speed runner loses a few minutes.

One is significantly more sacrifice than the other.

Who is really self centered?

Torquill

If you want 100% assurance of speed run or story run don't use DF, period.

My personal feeling is that story runs take priority. That is a one time event you can't take back. This is a story drive IP. Expecting people to skip it and watch it later, denying them the singular chance to experience the content in context so that you can get your Relic faster is incredibly selfish.

The story experience can't be taken back once ruined. This makes it worse.

Mandoric

Banned
Awful. No. People have every right to watch the cutscenes in the game, and the duty finder does not give anybody a way to declare what they're in it for.

Self-centered? Really? And they aren't self-centered for wanting people to skip their fucking story just so they can finish the instance a little bit faster? There should be no expectation that people who are new to the instance will skip scenes if you're using the duty finder to fill out a group. This whole subject pisses me off immensely. The kind of disrespect that people have for others' game time is insane. It's a totally different story if you're building a group via shout with a disclaimer that it is indeed a speedrun group and that a certain level of expectations is in place. But with the duty finder, tough shit, deal with it. Not everybody has finished the game yet, and they need to finish it.

The worst thing about it is that a lot of these people got to see the cutscenes when they did it their first time, and they are unwilling to let others do the same.

It flips both ways. In my past 10 CFed runs, I've seen exactly two fresh players. And I don't mean ones who spoke up and said "please let me watch", or even who just sat through the first couple CS before giving up, I mean two people that weren't running around with gear they bought from Orianne.

Obviously if someone says they want to watch, you have a little respect for them and let them do it. But the game's designed such that the vast majority of the population is going to be there for the nth time, so there's also something to be said for respecting them and letting them clear trash or start the mile-long Colossus pulls while they do.

Hopefully the enhanced /search function just solves this completely. CF is a really miserable attempt to give people the instadungeons they demand that doesn't even succeed at that.

Aeana

It flips both ways. In my past 10 CFed runs, I've seen exactly two fresh players. And I don't mean ones who spoke up and said "please let me watch", or even who just sat through the first couple CS before giving up, I mean two people that weren't running around with gear they bought from Orianne.

Obviously if someone says they want to watch, you have a little respect for them and let them do it. But the game's designed such that the vast majority of the population is going to be there for the nth time, so there's also something to be said for respecting them and letting them clear trash or start the mile-long Colossus pulls while they do.

Hopefully the enhanced /search function just solves this completely. CF is a really miserable attempt to give people the instadungeons they demand that doesn't even succeed at that.

Expecting people who are new enough to have not finished the main story to know that everybody is going to shit on them when they go into a dungeon is not reasonable. Not at all.

Mandoric

Banned
Expecting people who are new enough to have not finished the main story to know that everybody is going to shit on them when they go into a dungeon is not reasonable. Not at all.

No one should get shit on. But I don't think "the other half of this elite 8-man task force is gonna sneak off and kill some anonymous robots"is shitting on someone.

Is it that much more toxic during NA primetimes?

Aeana

No one should get shit on. But I don't think "the other half of this elite 8-man task force is gonna sneak off and kill some anonymous robots"is shitting on someone.

Is it that much more toxic during NA primetimes?

Yeah. People don't just "sneak off," they go into full-on verbal assault mode. Check out Esura's posts, which are what prompted this debate in the first place.

Torquill

Yeah. People don't just "sneak off," they go into full-on verbal assault mode. Check out Esura's posts, which are what prompted this debate in the first place.
Forget speed run issues. People shouldn't be shit on period. It's a damn game lol.

Yea DF CM runs are getting pretty bad. Friend of mine did one last night and half the party AFKed after 2nd boss fight. He completed it, but it took him a long while.

Ultrabum

Did a prae run yesterday and someone was watching cutscenes. No big deal, we went on without him. I died and released and he was still at start 15 min later. I examined him, he had relic +1 lol

He was pretending to be new to watch cutscenes so he could Afk and get tomes.

Kokonoe

Banned
If you want 100% assurance of speed run or story run don't use DF, period.

My personal feeling is that story runs take priority. That is a one time event you can't take back. This is a story drive IP. Expecting people to skip it and watch it later, denying them the singular chance to experience the content in context so that you can get your Relic faster is incredibly selfish.

The story experience can't be taken back once ruined. This makes it worse.

I agree. My experience with using the DF in CM and Prae butchered the story to where I feel almost apathetic to it.

jiggle

targeting with controller, on ps3, can be completely wretched because of line of sight requirement

the verbal abuse lobbed at new players in CM/Prae is indefensible

Kokonoe

Banned
targeting with controller, on ps3, can be completely wretched because of line of sight requirement

What makes it worse is that when you zoom out by using trigger + analog stick, the camera bumping into terrain causing you to zoom back to your original spot. I'd like the camera to go through terrain as it moving really sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom