• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

So close to finishing T4, at the last phase, just need to burn the adds slightly faster to get to the two dreads wailing on me fast enough! Two dreadnaughts slapping your shit isn't the most fun time I've had...

They work best together whm + sch op in 8 man fights.

Neither is wholly superior or inferior to the other. They do things very differently, and thus complement each other incredibly well. Just different approaches to healing. So I guess the actual answer to this is that it depends on your playstyle and whether you like preventative healing (like disc priest in WoW) or big spiky heals (like holy priest in WoW).

I think I'll take my SCH up, thanks!

Mileena

Banned
Do you refuse to cast ballad because you don't want to be a mana bitch?

It's not like silencing lowers your DPS. I pulled top DPS in Turn 2 in my group.
Sure lol

I'd just rather not have to look at the target bar all the time, if I could change where the shit he casts shows up it would be fine but Square UI customization sucks.

PS I've been a ballad bitch for years, respect your elder BRDs who played them in a better game :)

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Mh.
Let's check if the dupe story is real:
*Find goldselling website*
*Find a 'sell to us' button*
*Contact the guy*
*Ask if they need gil, and what's their quotation*
[...]
[...]
Goldsellers are buying gil from third party, so they don't have a dupe way. Goldsellers are ALWAYS the first bunch to know these things. If they're buying ''legit'' gil, they aren't duping.
And if they didn't know, they'd have a duper selling to them all they needed, and wouldn't have demand.

Story not checking out.

"The difficulty for level 50 dungeons will be adjusted"

Huh? easier or harder?

Every dungeon that isn't Coil is quite easy, so I wonder what they mean...

Mh.
*Contact the guy*
[...]
[...]
Goldsellers are buying gil from third party, so they don't have a dupe way. Goldsellers are ALWAYS the first bunch to know these things. If they're buying ''legit'' gil, they aren't duping.
And if they didn't know, they'd have a duper selling to them all they needed, and wouldn't have demand.

Story not checking out.

100% Handwork Guaranteed

Aeana

Mh.
*Contact the guy*
[...]
[...]

Story not checking out.
The quick leveling part is definitely real, because we've seen evidence of it on multiple servers where people get to level 50 in a minute or two.

Tarazet

Mh.
*Contact the guy*
[...]
[...]

Story not checking out.

You don't think that Square suddenly seizing 367 BILLION gil - after the weekly totals had been a fraction of that since launch - is a little fishy?

Iph

Banned
The quick leveling part is definitely real, because we've seen evidence of it on multiple servers where people get to level 50 in a minute or two.

I find this odd that people want this. I want to play the game to play the game- I'll do the work myself dammit. I paid for the game, be damned if I'll pay someone to make my play time shorter. :p

I'm sure it's a different case for people who play more seriously/competitively, but for me it takes all the fun out of the game to cheat.

Aeana

I find this odd that people want this. I want to play the game to play the game- I'll do the work myself dammit. I paid for the game, be damned if I'll pay someone to make my play time shorter. :p

I'm sure it's a different case for people who play more seriously/competitively, but for me it takes all the fun out of the game to cheat.
A lot of people using these things are probably not playing for fun, but as a job.

So glad we're getting some changes next week. I'm assuming the changes to DOT's are classified as UI changes. Hopefully one of those dungeon changes will be making WP relevant, its a shame in its current form that I rarely see anyone running it.

Oh dear, you're already making plans to heal 8 mans...and I thought Mira WAR was bad. D:

Any changes to make the best dungeon in the game relevant is okay with me. Everyone needs a little more WP in their life.

every time you speak ill of my warrior, that's one less undead cloth for you. come at me

Allard

BTW You can't Focus Target on a controller, right?

I tried and I can't. Would be nice for healing and other situations.

Focus target just requires you to hit the confirm button once or twice so a player is selected. Then you just scroll up and down using D-Pad, use an ability on the hot bar without clicking confirm, and then after the ability is used it automatically goes back to the original target making a pseudo focus target. I always focus target the tank or someone I know is causing mp sponge trouble or even just have it somewhere in the middle of my player list so it doesn't require me to hit the d-pad up and down much to get to relevant targets especially when its in an 8 player party with two tanks.

Aeana

Focus target just requires you to hit the confirm button once or twice so a player is selected. Then you just scroll up and down using D-Pad, use an ability on the hot bar without clicking confirm, and then after the ability is used it automatically goes back to the original target making a pseudo focus target. I always focus target the tank or someone I know is causing mp sponge trouble or even just have it somewhere in the middle of my player list so it doesn't require me to hit the d-pad up and down much to get to relevant targets especially when its in an 8 player party with two tanks.
Nah, that functionality is different from the actual focus target function that creates a new target bar on your screen.

Ultrabum

Nah, that functionality is different from the actual focus target function that creates a new target bar on your screen.

I focus target things I need to see cast spells, that I am not targeting.

Focus target demon wall while hitting bees for example, allows you to see repel cast.

Although nowadays I just burn the boss lol.

No I mean this:

1iKOtqd.jpg

You can Focus a target and see his cast bar, HP and buff and debuff and is separated from the target you actually selected . I guess I'll try with the macro.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
You don't think that Square suddenly seizing 367 BILLION gil - after the weekly totals had been a fraction of that since launch - is a little fishy?

Little, but there's bound to be a trick as to why all of it isn't actually entering the economy.
It's probably a lot more trackable than we think; If it's not getting used, there's usually a good reason.

Teknoman

Is it just me or are most ppl in the GAF FC unhelpful at best, and flat out selfish at worst?

Yesterday, I spent roughly 20 minutes asking ppl in the GAF FC if they would be willing to help me run Hydra so I could get my relic weapon. With the exception of one gaffer, literally everyone ignored me all my repeated requests for help. One gaffer even made a smarmy comment at me, which was completely uncalled for. It seems that now that most gaffers have already got their relics, they've adopted a FUCK YOU GOT MINE attitude to helping newbies.

Maybe I should consider switching FCs.

There are a ton of possibilities more likely than flat out ignoring. Busy with other dungeons + text scrolling all over, afk, off doing some scenario mission, etc.

Sometimes it takes a little time, but people will help. Dunno about the snarky comment though. I've never had anything like that (that wasnt made as a joke anyway) even when asking some of the most obvious questions.

DragonHunterG

Neo Member
on my second class i leveled up, i used the dungeons very much. i enjoyed running the dungeons to gain my levels with some fates in between and i generally got good gear to see me through to the next dungeon. that is to say, for me, i think the dungeons are one of the best parts of this game. i wish they were sometimes longer and had more enemy layout/variations instead of the exact same mobs over in the same place, every time. i think that's what wears people out. and i agree they should drop some decent loot or something to take home for your efforts. i also like the smaller party set ups of 4 people rather than 8 because it gets way too congested and i can't even see anything half the time (playing mostly as dps). the last couple battles of the final story dungeon rocked though with 8 people (
not the final battle itself with lahabrea but the ultima weapon encounters
).

one feature i wish they would add is to eliminate visual battle text from everyone except yourself. in the times i turned the battle text off, i was like wow i actually see what's going on, but i can't see my own numbers and i dont like that. i would like a small option like that to be implemented.

i also dont wish they would make leveling any easier than it already is. i don't find any need for them to buff miner or botanist. if anything they should debuff the other classes instead. i leveled my botanist to 33 or so as of now and yea it's getting slower but so what. i feel like when it takes more work, more grinding, i get more satisfaction when i level up. even though getting there at the moment with the same 4 levequests over and over does put me to sleep. what they should do is maybe add more ways to level up field or tradecraft class like the battle classes have.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
i also dont wish they would make leveling any easier than it already is. i don't find any need for them to buff miner or botanist. if anything they should debuff the other classes instead. i leveled my botanist to 33 or so as of now and yea it's getting slower but so what. i feel like when it takes more work, more grinding, i get more satisfaction when i level up. even though getting there at the moment with the same 4 levequests over and over does put me to sleep. what they should do is maybe add more ways to level up field or tradecraft class like the battle classes have.

No, mining and botany xp gains were way out of whack compared to fishing. Plus, all three have leves which are also out of whack with both the battle and tradecraft leves. Like, WAY out of whack. An adjustment was needed.

orion434

I almost made it to lv 50 with Miner just collecting Black Alumen once it was available . I never felt like I was getting less EXP than the Crafting classes, I would spend at least a 1/2 an hour collecting it but now at lv 47 the EXP for a lv 40 material is just a little too-low.

It's just too easy to for TradeCraft classes to abuse the 3-turn in HQ Leves to power-level, I went from lv 40 to lv 50 Blacksmith making noting but HQ Mythril Files!

Mandoric

Banned
Little, but there's bound to be a trick as to why all of it isn't actually entering the economy.
It's probably a lot more trackable than we think; If it's not getting used, there's usually a good reason.

If every transaction is logged and timestamped, there's no reason it shouldn't be. Very few gold sources in the game other than AH sale or NPC sale of Allagan currency can produce more than 2k/transaction or occur more than ten times a minute. Filtering for updates that occur more frequently or give more gold would be a very effective first step. The same principle holds for exp; any single EXP gain over 100k is a red flag, and the limit quickly goes down to one 35k event every few minutes if you filter by crafter level and/or simultaneous inventory changes.

By the time you reach a point that would require serious investigation before pulling the ban trigger, the impact of one or two exploiters getting away with their loot is a lot more muted.

I assume it hasn't seriously begun to spread yet because gilsellers don't even want -botted- currency (that "100% handwork" slogan) never mind hacked, and anyone who can grant themselves gil cap can also just magic their Vanya +1 into existence rather than buying it.

Ultrabum

If every transaction is logged and timestamped, there's no reason it shouldn't be. Very few gold sources in the game other than AH sale or NPC sale of Allagan currency can produce more than 2k/transaction or occur more than ten times a minute. Filtering for updates that occur more frequently or give more gold would be a very effective first step. The same principle holds for exp; any single EXP gain over 100k is a red flag, and the limit quickly goes down to one 35k event every few minutes if you filter by crafter level and/or simultaneous inventory changes.

By the time you reach a point that would require serious investigation before pulling the ban trigger, the impact of one or two exploiters getting away with their loot is a lot more muted.

I assume it hasn't seriously begun to spread yet because gilsellers don't even want -botted- currency (that "100% handwork" slogan) never mind hacked, and anyone who can grant themselves gil cap can also just magic their Vanya +1 into existence rather than buying it.

What makes you think every exp and Gil gain is timestamped?, wouldn't that create terabytes of data very fast, I doubt they would pay for that kind of hardware for each server.

I don't know, maybe it's common practice?

Also, I'm more worried about people sending requests for gear, just instant full af2 or allagan.

Aeana

What makes you think every exp and Gil gain is timestamped?, wouldn't that create terabytes of data very fast, I doubt they would pay for that kind of hardware for each server.

Also, I'm more worried about people sending requests for gear, just instant full af2 or allagan.
It's common practice for transactions to be logged in basically every kind of digital communication. In MMOs, they would need to do this in order for GMs to do their jobs effectively.

Ultrabum

It's common practice for transactions to be logged in basically every kind of digital communication. In MMOs, they would need to do this in order for GMs to do their jobs effectively.

Is it just stored in a text file with timestampes followed by actions? or something?

Tarazet

Assuming that each XP gain can be reduced down to a packet of 16 bytes - I'm sure it could be smaller - you would need to kill 68,719,476,736 monsters to fill a terabyte (1024 to the 4th power bytes). Assuming there are 300k concurrent users, that would take each one of them killing 229,064 monsters to fill a terabyte. The typical CRM server has multiple 1 TB hard drives.

Aeana

Is it just stored in a text file with timestampes followed by actions? or something?
Unlikely. More likely, it would be stored in the most efficient possible format, such as giving each action to be logged an ID and then logging only relevant information to that action type, like source/target. And it would have to be easily searchable, so probably within a database.

I almost made it to lv 50 with Miner just collecting Black Alumen once it was available . I never felt like I was getting less EXP than the Crafting classes, I would spend at least a 1/2 an hour collecting it but now at lv 47 the EXP for a lv 40 material is just a little too-low.

It's just too easy to for TradeCraft classes to abuse the 3-turn in HQ Leves to power-level, I went from lv 40 to lv 50 Blacksmith making noting but HQ Mythril Files!

Currently in the midst of that now. At 45.

J-Rod

Unlikely. More likely, it would be stored in the most efficient possible format, such as giving each action to be logged an ID and then logging only relevant information to that action type, like source/target. And it would have to be easily searchable, so probably within a database.

I've always wondered how the back end database of MMOs work or if they are different than ordinary relational databases. So much data must be getting constantly read and written back. Just turning on logging for a little while for some of our small systems can eat up insane amounts of disk space and impact performance, but MMOs seem to somehow log almost everything all the time.

Esura

Banned
Yay, I managed to finish Castrum with DF peeps! This speed run group let me watch my cutscenes and they didn't start boss fights without me. And the tank was very instructive of optimal running through the dungeon so I can speedrun like a boss when I do the dungeon again. Guess that latter is because that healer with Darklight robe on wasn't really healing much for some reason.

Lets hope I get lucky on the DF with Praetoramium.

Mandoric

Banned

If we assume that each log entry is around 50 bytes plaintext, and that there's around 1.5 million people each generating 10,000 a day on each mob kill/zone/inventory change, that's around 700 GB a day before compression. Storing that on Amazon is around $1500/month/month stored for full access, or $210/month/month for archival logs only pulled out when a major exploit's found.

And that's before compression which can easily cut these by a factor of 5 or 10, or the idea that Amazon is probably charging at least slightly above cost.

Shouta

Yay, I managed to finish Castrum with DF peeps! This speed run group let me watch my cutscenes and they didn't start boss fights without me. And the tank was very instructive of optimal running through the dungeon so I can speedrun like a boss when I do the dungeon again. Guess that latter is because that healer with Darklight robe on wasn't really healing much for some reason.

Lets hope I get lucky on the DF with Praetoramium.

Gratz. Just the Prae to go. =o

Torquill

I've always wondered how the back end database of MMOs work or if they are different than ordinary relational databases. So much data must be getting constantly read and written back. Just turning on logging for a little while for some of our small systems can eat up insane amounts of disk space and impact performance, but MMOs seem to somehow log almost everything all the time.
Frequently the real-time gameplay stuff is in a non relational, in memory data base as access/update time must be prioritized over everything else. Some stuff may be queued up to be put in a standard SQL database as resources allow and non real time stuff like account management is usually in your typical relational database.

Cmagus

Some guy on the Blue Gartr forum is admitting this so it looks like its been happening for a long time:

"I guess its time I say something about this, since my friends and I were trying to keep it under wraps since Beta Phase 4. During phase 4 and early access a small group of players discovered this exploit and gave themselves a few billion gil. They used this gil to resell to RMT to the tune of $50 a mil. They also sold to private players for $5.5 a mil, hugely undercutting the RMT Business. During day 1 of early access, they already had multiple characters on new servers(non legacy) with over 3 Bil. SE quickly banned our characters but the damage was already done, billions of gil was already introduced into the market. This is where they confiscated the 300 billion. It was too late for them, they couldn't afford to do a complete roll back on launch week. Can you imagine the negative press? The gil "duping" has since stopped as SE has been banning the accounts within minutes but now they are focusing on selling allagan and Af2 armor. You can do a google search but the prices are $1500 for a whole set. "

Mandoric

Banned
On a related note, I hope full details of the hack leak, because depending on exactly how S-E fixes it publically-exposed JSON could read to a fucking AMAZING ffxivah.

Some guy on the Blue Gartr forum is admitting this so it looks like its been happening for a long time:

How the fuck there isn't a fix for this the second SE discoverd this?

And certainly this is not the first SE game that uses LUA, what kind of disaster could ever happened?.

Probably the economy is cursed for the rest of the days.

Mandoric

Banned
How the fuck there isn't a fix for this the second SE discoverd this?

I'd guess because the solution to hotfix is "make the game server generate all JSON events and the database server ignore all connections from the public internet", but the solution to keep it limping along until that hotfix is "send a flag to GMs whenever certain behavior occurs".

It's dumb to let it out into public in a vulnerable state, but once you know it's vulnerable and how then making the GM and audit teams pull overtime is probably preferable to shuttering the game while you make major changes to the server.

In any case, it's probably not a perma-economyfuck, because there are few enough legitimately wealthy characters that they can all be checked out by hand, and anyone who escapes with under, say, 100 million is only inflating the gil pool on their server by about 2k/player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom