• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJIzana

Woot! Just got my Curtana Zenith and Holy Shield Zenith! :D

All that's left is to do Titan and Ifrit Extreme mode, Coils and level up my White Mage a little!

WolvenOne

New Wi-Fi Adaptor came in today. Download went from .8 to 1.0 MBPS, to 18MBps. Similarly, my Ping went from 100 to 120ms, down to 65ms.

So hopefully between that and Ping Zapper, the lag woes that have been making instances like Garuda Extreme a nightmare, will be a thing of the past.

studyguy

New Wi-Fi Adaptor came in today. Download went from .8 to 1.0 MBPS, to 18MBps. Similarly, my Ping went from 100 to 120ms, down to 65ms.

So hopefully between that and Ping Zapper, the lag woes that have been making instances like Garuda Extreme a nightmare, will be a thing of the past.

I used to play games over WiFi, was painful oh god.
Do you have no other option? I actually used a powerline Ethernet adapter as a solution and it worked miracles for me. Just whenever my girlfriend vacuumed it dropped connection.

WolvenOne

I used to play games over WiFi, was painful oh god.
Do you have no other option? I actually used a powerline Ethernet adapter as a solution and it worked miracles for me. Just whenever my girlfriend vacuumed it dropped connection.

That's what I've been using, and it worked wonderfully until a few weeks ago. Then all of a sudden my rock solid connection went to crap. I Had a solid 7-8 MBps as little as a few months ago, and my ping was consistently below 100ms, then all of a sudden my connection dropped to sub 1MBps, and my ping went to above 100ms on a regular basis.

Sadly. The cable line, "must," come in through a certain room, and that places it far from my PC. To get a direct line to my router without drilling numerous holes, (which I don't have the equipment for,) would require the use of a 100 foot long cord, and would be both an eye-sore and a safety hazard.

So, no, until I can afford to have a contractor install a home GB Ethernet system in every room, WiFi is my only viable option.

Does this game use up a lot of bandwidth or something? I'm having an issue where my ISP is saying I'm using tons of bandwidth all of a sudden, and the only recent change to our internet habits is the addition of FFXIV on a PC and a PS3. Combined, we play for about three or four hours per day.

To give numbers, it he ISP is saying we used 797 GB (!) last month, and in January, we're already at 300 GB.

I don't recall FFXI (or any other game) being this demanding. The issue probably isn't FFXIV, but I can't think of anything else that's "new". We aren't using Netflix/Amazon Prime more frequently.

Make sure none of your neighbors are hooking into your wifi if you have that, other than that i'd check if your PC has something that is downloading or uploading without your knowledge, like Pando media booster or torrents or such. I can't think of an online game that would use that level of bandwidth.

studyguy

That's what I've been using, and it worked wonderfully until a few weeks ago. Then all of a sudden my rock solid connection went to crap. I Had a solid 7-8 MBps as little as a few months ago, and my ping was consistently below 100ms, then all of a sudden my connection dropped to sub 1MBps, and my ping went to above 100ms on a regular basis.

Sadly. The cable line, "must," come in through a certain room, and that places it far from my PC. To get a direct line to my router without drilling numerous holes, (which I don't have the equipment for,) would require the use of a 100 foot long cord, and would be both an eye-sore and a safety hazard.

So, no, until I can afford to have a contractor install a home GB Ethernet system in every room, WiFi is my only viable option.

I had to buy two till I had Ethernet installed in my room directly.
Unfortunately, those powerline solutions are pretty susceptible to power failures apparently. I had one burn out after a few years then the next one burned out after a few years as well. Wish they were cheaper, but I don't really need to worry about that anymore.

WolvenOne

I had to buy two till I had Ethernet installed in my room directly.
Unfortunately, those powerline solutions are pretty susceptible to power failures apparently. I had one burn out after a few years then the next one burned out after a few years as well. Wish they were cheaper, but I don't really need to worry about that anymore.

There was a power outage shortly before I noticed problems. However I have 4 different adapters, and the problem persisted regardless of what combination of devices I used. Powerline adapters are very dependent on the quality of your home power grid. If the power grid is poor, or if the power flowing into your home is modulating wildly in frequency, you're going to have problems.

My suspicion, is that when they fixed the power grid in my neighborhood, they didn't fix it back up to the quality it was at before.

Edit: Also, Wi Fi is typically less problematic in less densely populated areas, where you don't have nearly as many people crowding into the same handful of channels. As is, there's only one other network competing with mine, and I can only see it because of the High Gain antenna I'm using.

I ran Castrum story for the first time today, and hard as hell to tank with all the spells and aoe around. Guess I should get used to it if I want to run the endgame stuff.

Ken

I ran Castrum story for the first time today, and hard as hell to tank with all the spells and aoe around. Guess I should get used to it if I want to run the endgame stuff.

Turn off spell effects for party in character configuration. Unfortunately I had to turn them back on since after 2.1 it hid Sacred Soils for me. :/

jbxGAMPv6xRuII.png

studyguy

Turn off spell effects for party in character configuration. Unfortunately I had to turn them back on since after 2.1 it hid Sacred Soils for me. :/

jbxGAMPv6xRuII.png

I do this for everything, I can't imagine playing with all the effects going on.
I love them, but Christ, when things get heavy and everyone is DPSing like mad, you can't see crap.

Valus

I do this for everything, I can't imagine playing with all the effects going on.
I love them, but Christ, when things get heavy and everyone is DPSing like mad, you can't see crap.

I haven't done this just because I like seeing all the effects but man it'd be useful in some cases when so much DPS is happening I can't tell what direction the boss is facing for my positionals (damnit Odin).

Flopfan

the game looks gorgeous on PC! as I don't have a gaming PC I can't wait for the PS4 version.

I just transferred from Bahamut to Ultros because it's all Japanese there.

I'm Valarr Blackfyre. hope to meet somebody from here in the game ^^

Windtrick

So all these random freezes after the data server update is a FIOS issue? Well damn, it's really getting annoying.

Hit level 50 two days ago and am about to run the Castrum 8 man dungeon. So excited! I'm with my FC on Goblin though.

By the way, I'm still on a level 41 weapon as BRD, the Shadow Bow. Where can I get a better weapon?

But wow, this game is amazing. It's my first proper MMO my friend persuaded me to play with him and I'm having a really fun time with all the people I've met. But my favorite thing has to be that you just happen to be in the right place at the right time and get to see things like this:

x0JeGyK.png

KXJdwHE.png

h2EQJrh.png

I have tons more too, and these aren't even max graphics, my puny laptop cant run it that well. The art direction is amazing and this game truly is a blast. The story is pretty good as well.

Sophia

Starting a new premade FC coil group only to find that people aren't ready and didn't unlock it and didn't know that it needed unlocking after the primal fights. Despite every other dungeon being unlocked. Makes me sad. :(

Unlocking Coil beats trying to unlock CT any day.

Apologies to anyone dealing with my healing today, I hope to get better with more practice.

Aeana

Got relic #4 today, Paladin sword and shield. Tanking Titan is even more mindless than I thought. I wanted to be out there dodging with everyone else.

ff14-curtana.png

Shield not pictured because I have the allagan one already.

chrono01

Got relic #4 today, Paladin sword and shield. Tanking Titan is even more mindless than I thought. I wanted to be out there dodging with everyone else.
Congrats!

Yeah, I can't imagine tanking Titan. I have way too much fun as a DPS to do something like that.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So, finally decided to try the game out. However, SE hasn't sent me the 8 character code that I need just prior to the installation process so I'm SOL until this gets sorted out. Anyone have ideas what might be going on? Is SE just slow getting that stuff out? Am I stuck hounding customer service to get this fixed?

Edit: Hurray, got it sorted. Happy times are here again. =)

Tash

Coil was such a pita yesterday with people randomly getting kicked out and dceing that we used the scrub strategy on T2 - first time and I feel totally dirty now :/

Ken

Shield not pictured because I have the allagan one already.

spoilers

tanking EMs isnt much better

im5gDTjzxNv11.png

Nohar

I guess I need to do Bahamut's coil more often, I have absolutly no 90 equipment from there (and it begins to be a problem, since my ilvl is stuck to 73 as a Bard). I've been able to clear T1 and T2 without any problems, but never tried T4 and T5. I also desperatly need a new ring for my bard, but so far I've been unable to down Ultima (mind you, I managed to kill Garuda Extreme with my FC without too much problems). I'm beginning to think I need to craft the hypogriff one.

I've finally leveled Conjurer to 26 and White Mage to 36. Now that I have the cross-skills, I can level-up my dear sweet scholar <3 ... 15 more levels to go before the 50 :'( Exp in dungeons is faster, but it's still a little long. Man, I already have the Darklight set ready (though I need to craft the Vanya robe, since I got the headgear from Crystal Tower - I really want the CT robe too, it's soooooo pretty).

I have to level up Dragoon too, in order to get the cross-skills for my Bard... I really need that +400 TP skill in some fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom