• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenai

It has cool music at the start and the encounters are fun.

Oh, I'm positive I'd enjoy it the first time through (I even enjoyed most of AV the first time outside of the anti pet boss mechanics), but every time after that might make me sad.

I'll probably do it at least once after the level cap increases to avoid any real max level roulette danger. It's the coward's way out I know, but Titan is giving me more than enough of that kind of potential fun at this moment, especially since I keep going into DF for him to ready myself for the next "serious" group I come across.

I just noticed the naming conventions for the different races in this game.

Now I wish I added in an apostrophe to my Miqo'te character Creaux (To C'reaux)

dcye

Can't believe you guys are whinging about Pharos being too hard. Are you serious? The dungeon is fun as hell, great music and actually has interesting boss mechanics.

Can't believe you guys are whinging about Pharos being too hard. Are you serious? The dungeon is fun as hell, great music and actually has interesting boss mechanics.

I only did it once. Was surprised that it wasn't really hard like lot of ppl said. Is a shame barely appears on roulette.

Reknoc

It is "hard" since the mechanics require a bit more attention than every other dungeon, so people don't want to do it because they get nothing substantial out of it they wouldn't get out of running through an easier dungeon.

Why work for your tomes when you can just sleepwalk through WP or CT.

dcye

Why work for your tomes when you can just sleepwalk through WP or CT.

Why play something different and enjoyable when you can just run the same unchallenging and boring dungeons over and over? Are you trolling me? :/

I'm not saying that you should run it 9 times in a row to cap myth and run nothing else but the people who haven't unlocked it or quit out of it when it pops in roulette are crazy. The dungeon is fresh and different, as well as being fun.

Ferr986

I have yet to clear Pharos. Only tried two times, both were a disband in the first boss.
I didnt tried more because the roulette likes to put me on Copperbell Hard so much...

Reknoc

Why play something different and enjoyable when you can just run the same unchallenging and boring dungeons over and over? Are you trolling me? :/

I'm not saying that you should run it 9 times in a row to cap myth and run nothing else but the people who haven't unlocked it or quit out of it when it pops in roulette are crazy. The dungeon is fresh and different, as well as being fun.

No. It's not hard to see that sort of attitude, even just looking back through the thread.

MechaX

Pharos is an awesome dungeon.

The problem is that too many people get PTSD flashbacks of stuff like their first attempt on Zu where they thought that burning every egg in the room was the right thing to do.

Kenai

I can get plenty of enjoyment out of the game without unlocking this one particular dungeon. In addition, I can avoid a fair amount of annoyance by ignoring it, and there's nothing I really lose by continuing to do so. You might have a different opinion, and that's fine, but I certainly do not regret my decision. Even better, i can always unlock it later if my opinion changes. I'm not doing DFR for the "different, enjoyable" experience. I want as little hassle as possible in this regard, and I can't think of a dungeon with more hassle attached. When the reward is the exact same as any other, my choice becomes pretty clear.

I can get plenty of enjoyment out of the game without unlocking this one particular dungeon. In addition, I can avoid a fair amount of annoyance by ignoring it, and there's nothing I really lose by continuing to do so. You might have a different opinion, and that's fine, but I certainly do not regret my decision. Even better, i can always unlock it later if my opinion changes. I'm not doing DFR for the "different, enjoyable" experience. I want as little hassle as possible in this regard, and I can't think of a dungeon with more hassle attached. When the reward is the exact same as any other, my choice becomes pretty clear.

Is only a hassle if your party is bad, and in that scenario, any dungeon can be a hassle.

Ploid 3.0

You didn't quote his whole post but the main problem is why do that dungeon more than once when you don't get much good from it? People that don't unlock it probably would like to try it once but it would then be a problem since it can show up in their Duty Roulette. The game is farm points to unlock stuff, or farm dungeons to get a drop. This dungeon will just slow that down. It's bad enough to try to get a full DF party but to see people leaving out of the dungeon to have to try to fill it again adds time.

Also that song is way too short. :(

Even if it is a cool setting, a lot of DF people just flat out won't listen when I try to give pointers in Pharos. If I have to deal with that over and over, why bother?

Kenai

Is only a hassle if your party is bad, and in that scenario, any dungeon can be a hassle.

I always go into a DF assuming my party will be bad while hoping I will be pleasantly surprised. That's any MMO with something like DF. But adding an extra layer of difficulty with unlocking a notably harder dungeon compared to the others, with no tangible reward or lasting benefit for doing so, does not make sense to me. I know I can carry basically anyone through WP/AK and even HM/CM, I can definitely not say the same for PS and sometimes my FF14 time is extremely limited for Roulette.

If they upped the reward on it for completion, or made better drops, or awarded nice exclusive loot like pets/mats ect? That'd be another story (maybe). But I personally want a more objectively beneficial reason for the unlock, not something as nebulous or subjective as "the experience".

Wes

venison crêpe
I came to post a pic, but Maple beat me- Imma post it anyway cause it's totally a better angle. ;p

Pg5CL4t.jpg

All dem bows and claws.

Too many bards. I told you folks not to level bards and now look what's happened!

I always go into a DF assuming my part will be bad while hoping I will be pleasantly surprised. That's any MMO with something like DF. But adding an extra layer of difficulty with a unlocking notably harder dungeon compared to the others, with no tangible reward or lasting benefit for doing so, does not make sense to me.

If they upped the reward on it for completion, or made better drops, or awarded nice exclusive loot? That'd be another story (maybe). But I want a more objectively beneficial reason for the unlock, not something as nebulous as "the experience".

I don't find the dungeon itself particularly more harder than the other hard dungeons. Took my first DF Copperbell HM party several tries on bosses too. If your party dosn't know how bosses works, every encounter will end in the same way even if one is marginally more difficult. That's my point.

I feel like ppl freaks on Pharos Sirius too much, when all they need is to check how encounters work...

Alucrid

Banned
I don't find the dungeon itself particularly more harder than the other hard dungeons. Took my first DF Copperbell HM party several tries on bosses too. If your party dosn't know how bosses works, every encounter will end in the same way even if one is marginally more difficult. That's my point.

I feel like ppl freaks on Pharos Sirius too much, when all they need is to check how encounters work...

I've gotten through most of the game without an idea of how the encounters work, I'm not going to start now.

Kenai

Well, the odds of running into a party that doesn't know PS vs one that doesn't know WP/AK alone is one thing. I have yet to fail HM either despite not really understanding the mechanics, and CM I have wiped once and never since. The stories from PS have gotten around yes, but even if they are at least somewhat exaggerated, so what? My point still is: why would I want to unlock this particular dungeon when it is factual that I will be far more likely to run into people that don't know how to run it properly (myself included) than the aforementioned, and it is also factual that it is notably harder than the aforementioned as well? I'm sure I could complete it more often than not, but why take that extra risk for effectively nothing? My rewards are the same either way. I simply have no reason to unlock it. I lose nothing worth mentioning by continuing to ignore this dungeon. I'd love it if SE gave me a reason, though (preferably a good one).

Reknoc

Usually if someone is DFing anything it's not because they don't feel like inviting their friends or they use FC and friends as the last resort. DF is the last resort.

Don't forget DR is part of that, and I think that's what colours people's view of PS being too hard. Which then makes it hard to get a normal group.

Well, the odds of running into a party that doesn't know PS vs one that doesn't know WP/AK alone is one thing. I have yet to fail HM either despite not really understanding the mechanics, and CM I have wiped once and never since. The stories from PS have gotten around yes, but even if they are at least somewhat exaggerated, so what? My point still is: why would I want to unlock this particular dungeon when it is factual that I will be far more likely to run into people that don't know how to run it properly (myself included) than the aforementioned, and it is also factual that it is notably harder than the aforementioned as well? I'm sure I could complete it more often than not, but why take that extra risk for effectively nothing? My rewards are the same either way. I simply have no reason to unlock it. I lose nothing worth mentioning by continuing to ignore this dungeon. I'd love it if SE gave me a reason, though (preferably a good one).

I failed Copperbell Mines HM, (low on time) but going by your rule I shouldn't even bothered with it since then..., I don't know, I feel like exploring new locations and facing new content is reason more than enough to do it, even if is slightly harder.

But well, that's how you see it, no point to argue otherwise.

I've gotten through most of the game without an idea of how the encounters work, I'm not going to start now.

Ok, same here and I wiped a dozen times on a few dungeons here and there, I don't know why Pharos is that bad then..., I did Pharos without knowing how bosses worked, recieved a few instructions and completed it without major problems. Same with Haukke Manor HM, is Haukke Manor easier? No doubt, but PH difficulty is overrated.

I love Pharos. I've only run it once since 2.1 launched but mainly because I've been too busy with other things and like others have said, there isn't much reason to run it right now other than for fun. It's way too easy to cap Myth and Philosphy tomes without even trying.

Our group has decided to start attempting Turn 5 seriously since most of us are full i90 now. There is some hesitation regarding the amount of time dedication needed to learn the fight, but most of us our confident that a few hours on the weekend will be sufficient. We might not clear it as quickly as everyone else but we will get it eventually. We understand that this is currently the most difficult content in the game and that it's not going to be easy, nor is it going to happen overnight. There were major road blocks to clearing this content early on such as Turn 5 being impossible to clear due to bugs, the Warrior class survivability issues, and many groups taking a long time to gear up due to limited gearing options, and a lack of knowledge about the different phases of the fight due to the extremely low percentage of players that were able to clear it.

Most of this has been eliminated now and it seems that more and more groups are making progress and clearing the content. With everything in place today, and with a good group of skilled players, realistically how much time do you think is required to learn and execute the mechanics in Turn 5? We had a bit of a discussion about this and I would like to hear other people's take on this that have cleared Turn 5 or made a lot of progress (less than 10% on Twin).

Finally got everyone on with a stable connection and we went in and beat Titan EX. As expected, internet connections are the real hardest boss in FF14. Got a few Ifrit attempts before the disconnects started, doesn't seem like a bad fight at all.

There is very little damage to heal through during the fight, DPS mechanics are minimal, and you can easily recover from party members dying, including healers and tanks. In regards to that, the fight is easier than Titan EX, but still might take longer to clear. There are a lot more mechanics for the healers to deal with and more pressure on the healers to perform.

The group of friends I'd gathered to begin playing is already falling apart, seems a couple of them just aren't able to get into it (including the friend I built a new comp for just to play this game, sadly). Welp. We were planning to eventually create our own FC, but if they end up dropping out then I may just try to join GAF's. I've updated the google doc with my actual in-game name, ended up not using the one I had before.

You are welcome to join us.

Too many bards. I told you folks not to level bards and now look what's happened!

Wes! When are you coming back? Are you coming back? :(

Also, congratulations on the moderator status!

BLCKATK

Most of this has been eliminated now and it seems that more and more groups are making progress and clearing the content. With everything in place today, and with a good group of skilled players, realistically how much time do you think is required to learn and execute the mechanics in Turn 5? We had a bit of a discussion about this and I would like to hear other people's take on this that have cleared Turn 5 or made a lot of progress (less than 10% on Twin).

My group on Balmung is pretty close to clearing, going in tonight hoping for a win. We've been on the fight for quite sometime, we beat Turn 4 the week Turn 5 went down for maintenance to fix the bugs. Of course, not all this time has been spent doing the fight. A lot of weeks weren't spent not attempting and the weeks we went in it took some members of our static a long time to grasp the mechanics of the fight, especially our healers. I'd say Phase 2 and 3 were the hardest to overcome for our group, but thinking back on it this may be because we didn't have a consistent caster DPS for a long time (Currently we are on our 4th caster dps, really hoping this will be the last).

If you actually sit down and do the research outside of the game, and then when doing the fight you keep practicing and ironing out the kinks, you will start to make considerable progress. The fight is difficult, but not impossible. If you feel you aren't getting anywhere, rest on it. The past 3 weeks we have been putting 3 days a week for 2 hours and 3 hours on the weekends and we have seen considerable progress. Last night was the biggest jump, our 2nd attempt of the night landed us at 3% (normally only getting to 44%). Once you start reaching Phase 4 consistently you are close to the victory in my opinion. As long as you know what will happen in Phase 5, you can definitely win, just be prepared to act on the fly, a lot of Phase 5 is random (Hatch and Liquid Hell targets). Twister is not that much of an issue, it gets complex when there is more than 2 melee targets on the Dreadknight when Twister is being cast but with adjustment you can make it work.

Just be prepared to dedicate some time to it, but never lose hope and you'll definitely get it down. It takes a lot of patience. I'd be prepared to spend a few weeks on it, but depending on how fast your group picks up the mechanics it could be a lot faster.

It seems most groups spend a few weeks of work on it, but honestly with all of the information out in the wild, along with the myth that has accumulated over this time I could see it taking less. Our group took well over a month, but we also rotated in new members, had to gear them(along with ourselves) up a little more, and constantly fight the menaces known as Yen and Mira's internet connections. I think if your already past the gearing stage and look into the fight properly you can do it much faster!

As for the fight itself, I'd recommend going in and working on solid transitions in phase 1 and 2. Both of those phases are pretty simple once you have a plan set into motion, but they do serve to introduce the massive tank damage from death sentence, along with a dps check for the conflags. From there, take it phase by phase, alot of it is just execution and knowing what the fights going to throw at you!

Ark! Hope you are doing well buddy!

studyguy

It seems most groups spend a few weeks of work on it, but honestly with all of the information out in the wild, along with the myth that has accumulated over this time I could see it taking less. Our group took well over a month, but we also rotated in new members, had to gear them(along with ourselves) up a little more, and constantly fight the menaces known as Yen and Mira's internet connections. I think if your already past the gearing stage and look into the fight properly you can do it much faster!

As for the fight itself, I'd recommend going in and working on solid transitions in phase 1 and 2. Both of those phases are pretty simple once you have a plan set into motion, but they do serve to introduce the massive tank damage from death sentence, along with a dps check for the conflags. From there, take it phase by phase, alot of it is just execution and knowing what the fights going to throw at you!

Ark! Hope your doing well buddy!

We taught 3 new players T5 in a few hours.
Even guys who are in some partial DL can edge through it.
Best thing I've had was a win that came just as the hard enrage went off.
Twin died as the enrage went off and only me as the MT and the OT were left alive after the cut scene. A real buttclenching moment as we didn't even think we'd make it with undergeared newbies. I thought the hard enrage instantly killed you, but I guess it finished before the tick went off completely? Idk, I thought we lost.

Good times.

The ilvl average takes into account the empty off-hand as well, so because your WAR has a two-handed Axe and nothing in the off-hand it brings your ilvl down. At least I think that's how it works.

Blargh, if so that means that I'll need the Allagan Axe to get my WAR upto lvl 90. So I guess not only do we have to beat Twin, but also get that boss onto Farm status as well. That is of course, unless I'm very lucky, and the axe drops first.

actually the ilevel only takes the off hand into account when you have a one handed weapon on in which you can equip something in that slot. The off hand won't be taken into account if you got a two handed weapon.

Valus

Funny you should say that. I got Pharos for the 2nd time last night on my roulette. Tank & Healer were first timers, so I explained what I knew about the fights based on my first run. We cleared the first boss with no issue. Awesome. On the Zu? 20 minutes spent. Kept telling the BRD to not break the eggs and leave them to me (one egg can be broker per add spawn no big deal). Finally we get through that. 3rd boss? We burn through it barely, both the healer and the tank died during it somehow. Siren? Spent another 30-40 minutes on her and the healer rage quit with 5 minutes left on the timer. I explained the mechanics, told them we can win as long as you follow the mechanics. BRD & WHM refused to go mid when Siren jumped mid, I even spammed my old Hydra macro screaming "GO MID GO MID <se.7>" but nothing. Kept telling tank to interrupt Lunatic Voice, nothing. Kept telling healer to Esuna Siren Song before it changes into the charmed debuff, nothing.

90 minutes wasted to Pharos. So yeah, I'm pretty turned off by the place right now.

Valus

Titan Ex DF is crushing my soul...like HM did in his day.

And PF is only filled with "Experience only. Kill only. Will queue Ifrit to check" bullshit.

Lol I'd join anyway and just say "not me" when it says it can't go in. Not like they can verify...what will they do, start kicking/replacing people one by one? So dumb.

J-Rod

Kept telling healer to Esuna Siren Song before it changes into the charmed debuff, nothing.

90 minutes wasted to Pharos. So yeah, I'm pretty turned off by the place right now.

I don't think you can ensuna or leech sirens song. The only way to remove the debuff is healing the person to full.

This fight doesn't seem too bad as a healer as long as lunatics voice is stopped. That reduced healing debuff on top of the one sirens song seems to give makes it pretty hard to remove charm in time.

Nohar

There are 2 different debuff IIRC:
  • The one which will turn you into a Zombie (Charm), which you can't dispel with Esuna. You need to bring the target to 100% HP (or heal yourself with skills and potions).
  • The one which decreases the healing received. This one may or may not be dispellable with Esuna.

There are 2 different debuff IIRC:
  • The one which will turn you into a Zombie (Charm), which you can't dispel with Esuna. You need to bring the target to 100% HP (or heal yourself with skills and potions).
  • The one which decreases the healing received. This one may or may not be dispellable with Esuna.
The second is Lunatic voice right? If so that can be stunned or silenced.

J-Rod

Yeah, the 2nd is lunatic's and it can be ensuna'ed. Pretty much must be before trying to heal up someone about to be charmed.

chrono01

Lol I'd join anyway and just say "not me" when it says it can't go in. Not like they can verify...what will they do, start kicking/replacing people one by one? So dumb.
Actually they could, if they were determined enough, individually check your Achievements, since you get one for completing the Extreme Primal battles.

Valus

I don't think you can ensuna or leech sirens song. The only way to remove the debuff is healing the person to full.

This fight doesn't seem too bad as a healer as long as lunatics voice is stopped. That reduced healing debuff on top of the one sirens song seems to give makes it pretty hard to remove charm in time.

You're probably right! As I said it was only my second time so I just went off what I knew, but I could definitely be wrong. Nevertheless it really burned me out of that place. I enjoy it like any other dungeon but I now understand why people out there feel it's not worth the hassle overall. I feel bad but the next time I roll Pharos I might quit depending on how geared the team is. =\ The guys I failed with were all in AF/ilvl 60 stuff.

Actually they could, if they were determined enough, individually check your Achievements, since you get one for completing the Extreme Primal battles.

Damn, that'd be pretty hardcore. How do you check other people's achievements? I know you can do it via lodestone but isn't that locked unless you make it public? If that's what you're referring to, and they kick you unless you open it up to public view, I'd freaken lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom