• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

I did it two days ago.

I personally didn't even do Aurum Vale in ARR till a few days ago when roulette threw me in it. I haven't done Pharos simply due to not needing it either. I can relate.
Just more content for me to plow through when I get the urge. Not a big deal.

Aeana

We taught 3 new players T5 in a few hours.
Even guys who are in some partial DL can edge through it.
Best thing I've had was a win that came just as the hard enrage went off.
Twin died as the enrage went off and only me as the MT and the OT were left alive after the cut scene. A real buttclenching moment as we didn't even think we'd make it with undergeared newbies. I thought the hard enrage instantly killed you, but I guess it finished before the tick went off completely? Idk, I thought we lost.

Good times.
I don't think the enrage instantly kills, it just does a lot of damage. I remember when the enrage went off for us once and two people were still alive afterward.

studyguy

I don't think the enrage instantly kills, it just does a lot of damage. I remember when the enrage went off for us once and two people were still alive afterward.

That has to be it, because the screen when white then went black and everyone in vent just went "Awww ma..Holy shit!!
I had never seen the enrage before so that took me by surprise.

Aeana

It seems most groups spend a few weeks of work on it, but honestly with all of the information out in the wild, along with the myth that has accumulated over this time I could see it taking less. Our group took well over a month, but we also rotated in new members, had to gear them(along with ourselves) up a little more, and constantly fight the menaces known as Yen and Mira's internet connections. I think if your already past the gearing stage and look into the fight properly you can do it much faster!

As for the fight itself, I'd recommend going in and working on solid transitions in phase 1 and 2. Both of those phases are pretty simple once you have a plan set into motion, but they do serve to introduce the massive tank damage from death sentence, along with a dps check for the conflags. From there, take it phase by phase, alot of it is just execution and knowing what the fights going to throw at you!

Ark! Hope you are doing well buddy!
Honestly, if we didn't have the Internet problems, or that week where I was on PS3 and wasn't used to the dive bomb timing on it, we would have cleared it much sooner.

studyguy

Honestly, if we didn't have the Internet problems, or that week where I was on PS3 and wasn't used to the dive bomb timing on it, we would have cleared it much sooner.

Scheduling and internet problems seem to be the leading cause of coil runs getting all shitty for us as well. Everyone showing up only to have a healer missing or a tank... or the current 90k issue that was plaguing us Monday.

Today is our other Coil day and both I as the MT and one of the DPS might be out, it's a pain in the ass.

Lucis

Lol I'd join anyway and just say "not me" when it says it can't go in. Not like they can verify...what will they do, start kicking/replacing people one by one? So dumb.

That would be kinda an ASS thing to do on your side. Let elitist be elitist. They can choose who to play with.
I would politely ask if i can join (if I have lots of exeprience and know the fight already and just haven't downed it quite yet)
But if they say no. Let them be

pablito

finally beat t4 with my group last night. it was with a pug ot, but if our regular ot does what he did (which is just use hallowed ground at the exact time i've been telling them for 2 weeks lol) then it will be almost no problem next week. also tried for reals attempts at twintania. shits brutal. couldn't get past conflags.

good times though.

studyguy

finally beat t4 with my group last night. it was with a pug ot, but if our regular ot does what he did (which is just use hallowed ground at the exact time i've been telling them for 2 weeks lol) then it will be almost no problem next week. also tried for reals attempts at twintania. shits brutal. couldn't get past conflags.

good times though.

Just takes practice. Getting timings down on when to pop cooldowns is key for the DPS as sleeping on it can end with a dead member. Eventually with enough practice, you'll be sleeping through the phase like champs. The first time a group gets to divebombs is always hilarious, especially if you're all on voice chat as excitement of getting to a new phase is quickly murdered when you don't know what you're doing. Keep at it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
That would be kinda an ASS thing to do on your side. Let elitist be elitist. They can choose who to play with.
I would politely ask if i can join (if I have lots of exeprience and know the fight already and just haven't downed it quite yet)

Agreed.

There are no rules saying that every person needs to have an equal chance to be in every party. These people are looking to quickly farm their next week's primal weapon and are not interested in teaching people the fight.

The reasoning for the "elitism" is completely valid and doing something like joining anyways is the douche move. If somebody doesn't want to teach you something, move on with life and find somebody that is interested in helping.

Snarking elitism and brimming over with tears helps nobody in these situations.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just takes practice. Getting timings down on when to pop cooldowns is key for the DPS as sleeping on it can end with a dead member. Eventually with enough practice, you'll be sleeping through the phase like champs. The first time a group gets to divebombs is always hilarious, especially if you're all on voice chat as excitement of getting to a new phase is quickly murdered when you don't know what you're doing. Keep at it.

I think pretty much every new phase ends in brutal murder with twin.

Yep, we had that period of frustration near the end where we essentially had the fight but holidays and internet connections convened to ruin the day! D:

chrono01

That's a lot of leg work just to check
That is very true. I know I wouldn't be bothered to do it, nor would I feel encouraged to in the first place.

Damn, that'd be pretty hardcore. How do you check other people's achievements? I know you can do it via lodestone but isn't that locked unless you make it public? If that's what you're referring to, and they kick you unless you open it up to public view, I'd freaken lol.

You can make your cheevos Private at your Lodestone profile.
I had completely forgotten that you could make your Achievements private via the Lodestone. So I guess that fixes that!

Valus

Good on you. If doing that makes me an ass and I get some bad karma for it, I think I can live with that lol. I couldn't care less how people like that feel or want, to be honest.

Alucrid

Banned
I haven't even touched any 50 dungeon, aside from AK for relic, after the first week. Myth just rains down on your nowadays.

Reknoc

Checking achievements isn't enough. You have to check their gear on the lodestone, see if they've made any blog posts, look for a twitter/facebook account, and get 2 references.

Valus

My apologies, I must have confused you with Valus for some reason. I think I thought your avatar was his.

Reknoc...Valus...avatar...no avatar...close enough! =]

edit: I'd also like you to point me in the direction where I complained about elitists if you don't mind!

Paprikka

Maybe I'm just slow at finding out, but I realized this morning the trick to doing the perilous pumpkins Sylph daily is to treat it like a stealth game. Sylph wont aggro you unless they actually see you, so you just have to watch which way they're facing and run behind them.

After I saw that I tried it out and dropped off the bombs without aggroing a single mob, including the few that sit in that tiny corridor.

Agreed.

There are no rules saying that every person needs to have an equal chance to be in every party. These people are looking to quickly farm their next week's primal weapon and are not interested in teaching people the fight.

The reasoning for the "elitism" is completely valid and doing something like joining anyways is the douche move. If somebody doesn't want to teach you something, move on with life and find somebody that is interested in helping.

Snarking elitism and brimming over with tears helps nobody in these situations.

I just dislike the fact because is a game ppl can act like assholes and don't be nice to others. Their reasoning might be valid, but dosn't mean I have to like it or accept it.

You can bring down this to "tears" or some other ridicule childish attack, but the ones that don't help to anybody are, precisely, that elitism actitude.

creid

Maybe I'm just slow at finding out, but I realized this morning the trick to doing the perilous pumpkins Sylph daily is to treat it like a stealth game. Sylph wont aggro you unless they actually see you, so you just have to watch which way they're facing and run behind them.

After I saw that I tried it out and dropped off the bombs without aggroing a single mob, including the few that sit in that tiny corridor.
I got hit by a couple sylphs when I was doing this quest yesterday and didn't drop the pumpkin. Does getting hit reduce your time, or do you drop the pumpkin after a certain amount of damage?

Ken

You can bring down this to "tears" or some other ridicule childish attack, but the ones that don't help to anybody are, precisely, that elitism actitude.

I'd argue that it's actually the ones with this so-called "elitist attitude" who are helping others in the first place, and that them not wanting to take others onto other content usually stems from well, their experiences from that intitial help. Can't really name names though since I promised not to snipe at anyone in this thread so I'll leave it at that.

I'd argue that it's actually the ones with this so-called "elitist attitude" who are helping others in the first place. Can't really name names though since I promised not to snipe at anyone in this thread so I'll leave it at that.

I might have been wrong to put that whole group of ppl in the same "sack", but let's not act like that's not a minority in general terms, as I said I'm not part of UltosGAF so wasn't aiming anyone of you, just saying what I see on my server everyday.

Valus

Oh come on man! I guess I see where you're coming from, but..

I am not going to name names since it was just a line of rant. I wasn't going to post the actual story but since you asked.

Previous to last night I have been trying titan ex in PF/DF for a few days. Some group were pretty decent and I have gone through all the phases, and has seen the second add phase a few times, but unfortunately I have never had a kill on it yet.
Fastforward to 2 days ago, there was a group looking for one tank and one tank only and is ready to go, i whipser to ask if I could come. A min later i was told that they only want people that has beaten the encounter since it's a "farm group". I told them my situation and said I have confidence to do the fight and I have pretty much seen all the fight and know all the phases by heart. They said no.
They end up looking for a tank in PF for 20-30 min before finding one. So rather waste time than try with someone in FC is why I used the word "elitest". I understand there are bad players. But I don't think I am one. I have done Garuda EX a bunch of times with FC and helped a few people in FC as MT for their garuda kill.

With that said. I don't really hold grudge against the person that told me no. It's their pref, but if they don't like being called elitist because of it? Then the lol is on them.

What ever though. Another PF "carried" me through last night. 3 people in that party has done the fight before, 3 were like me, got far never got killed, and 2 are pretty new and has never seen the add phase. Everyone was nice and no one blamed others for mistakes. Took us 1 hour of attempts to down it, but we did it.

Some times it is good to help that one extra new person (who is competent and is able to do it) on fights. It isn't carry, it is helping your own guild in the long run, with that one extra person who is now exeprienced and knows the fight, the amount of people that can easily run the fight increases. If you think of it as a carry, then what else to call you other than elitists?

That's a complaint!

Paprikka

I got hit by a couple sylphs when I was doing this quest yesterday and didn't drop the pumpkin. Does getting hit reduce your time, or do you drop the pumpkin after a certain amount of damage?

Each time you get hit it lowers the time left. They give you extra time to account for a few hits, but with the sylph mobs being ranged if you pull too many you'll drop it.

kierwynn

You lose 10 seconds on your timer every time you're hit. What makes it suck to me, though, is the fact that a lot of those sylphs can hit your from a distance so even if you run away they'll just zap you a few times and run your timer down. :/

edit- beaten by Saff!

Yep. You're safe even if you get tagged once or twice as there are plenty of refresh points as long as you know where they are. There are actually two possible delivery paths you can be assigned for this quest and one is infinitely easier than the other. One basically forces you to make the delivery right into a large group of sylphs (just wait for their backs to turn) while the other has mobs really spread out that are easy to avoid.

The Sylph T2 quests are some of the easiest dailies ever. Twice in a row I have gotten 3 quests that are basically just kill things, with everything that I needed to kill in the exact same area. Done in less than 5 minutes.

MogCakes

Just read the past ~4 pages in this thread, and I'm feeling a bit intimidated by the talk on EX primals and party expectations. Is it really difficult to pull together a group to clear or is it just that people don't like doing EX with inexperienced members and will stick to farming runs with people that have cleared it multiple times over? That really wasn't the kind of attitude I expected to see at endgame.

Just read the past ~4 pages in this thread, and I'm feeling a bit intimidated by the talk on EX primals and party expectations. Is it really difficult to pull together a group to clear or is it just that people don't like doing EX with inexperienced members and will stick to farming runs with people that have cleared it multiple times over? That really wasn't the kind of attitude I expected to see at endgame.

Sometimes it can be tough finding a group to down the EX primals.

Valus

Depends on your FC and fellow players dude. Do you have friends to play with regularly? When I cleared Garuda EX it was with a group that had not cleared it yet, and it was all from within my FC. The content is fairly new and I guess some people aren't quite ready to start helping out other members yet.

My FC has a Garuda EX run scheduled for this Friday and whoever signs up on the website gets to go, simple as that.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Garuda EX and Ifrit EX can be done while training new folks without too much trouble.

Titan EX will screw the entire party at the smallest mistake. Every character must know the entire fight and execute flawlessly. That is not possible for most people on the server, so most groups stick with those they know can perform.

Kenai

I failed Copperbell Mines HM, (low on time) but going by your rule I shouldn't even bothered with it since then..., I don't know, I feel like exploring new locations and facing new content is reason more than enough to do it, even if is slightly harder.

And that's fine if you want to! It's your job to get the experiences you want out of the game to keep it fun for you.

But since SE is effectively giving me a choice between running an extra, annoyingly difficult dungeon compared to the others "just for fun", I'm going to say "no" because I don't actually find that idea fun (at least the second time on, or with randoms I'll never see again). It's the same with PvP: I don't find it fun and never will so I will ignore it just like this dungeon, even with PvP actually having specific rewards for participating. And I'll say the same thing for that: if others like it, great! But leave me out of it because do not want.

All I am missing is "the experience" of one random 4 man dungeon that is absolutely going to lose every bit of its novelty in short order. There's plenty of others I can run on "autopilot" in a fair more efficient fashion and finish much more quickly/reliably to get back to the content I find much more enjoyable. I am busting my butt on things like Titan EX and T5 that are 'fun" and actually give me something for the extra trouble. I know SE is capable of properly rewarding players for increased difficulty, and I also know that they are capable of understanding why so many people will say "no" when that reward just isn't there. Experiences are great, but I don't want SE to be lax with the compensation either.

It's usually not an attitude you see. The problem about Titan EX is twofold: 1) he knocks you out of the fight completely most of the time if you mess up, so rezzing for additional practice is impossible. Moreover, because he knocks you out of the fight, you end up not being able to even see what's going on and how people react to it. Patterns/placement/positioning ect. And 2) at this point in the game, you need everyone alive to properly tank, heal, and DPS him down in time since there's a soft enrage mechanic or two built in to him to prevent a prolonged encounter. You don't actually need to perform perfectly (I've eaten a bomb or two and shrugged it off) but it's tighter than just about anything else, and that's a lot to expect from DF or people new to the fight. He literally starts being able to knock you off (effectively a 1shot with no chance of recovery) every 20-30 seconds towards the end for several minutes, and that's assuming you can keep the normal damage/healing in check (which is also no joke). So the problem of not having "experience compounds itself because of anyone else messes up more than you, you don't even get to the parts you actually need practice on.

That being said, I fully intend to help folks and pass down my knowledge as I learn the fight so others can do so in turn (just like I do with Garuda EX). Titan HM was a breaker of spirits and this is notably harder in all aspects.

Lucis

Good on you. If doing that makes me an ass and I get some bad karma for it, I think I can live with that lol. I couldn't care less how people like that feel or want, to be honest.

That's a complaint!

It was a rant, and turned out to be a brief description of the back story since some one was butt hurt that one line I said.

Also if you can't see the difference between a mild complaint and your deliberate desire to sabotage someone's game then I don't know what to say to you.

Also I have said multiple times, I have no problem with people trying to be elitists, just don't be butt hurt when people call you that ;o

MogCakes

Depends on your FC and fellow players dude. Do you have friends to play with regularly? When I cleared Garuda EX it was with a group that had not cleared it yet, and it was all from within my FC. The content is fairly new and I guess some people aren't quite ready to start helping out other members yet.

My FC has a Garuda EX run scheduled for this Friday and whoever signs up on the website gets to go, simple as that.

I started recently (after a 5 month hiatus because of a very busy semester) with a group of friends. They aren't the most tactical in the world but can learn the dance if they get their butts kicked two or three times. I guess you could call them 'average', though I hesitate to use that word seeing as they are pretty capable party mates.

Garuda EX and Ifrit EX can be done while training new folks without too much trouble.

Titan EX will screw the entire party at the smallest mistake. Every character must know the entire fight and execute flawlessly. That is not possible for most people on the server, so most groups stick with those they know can perform.

So essentially, Titan EX is so difficult that peoples' tolerance for teaching newbies the ropes is almost nonexistent. That's rather unfortunate seeing as my experience so far has been a big positive with Ultros's community. Hopefully I can find a group if my friends end up dropping the game.

EDIT:
It's usually not an attitude you see. The problem about Titan EX is twofold: 1) he knocks you out of the fight completely most of the time if you mess up, so rezzing for additional practice is impossible. Moreover, because he knocks you out of the fight, you end up not being able to even see what's going on and how people react to it. Patterns/placement/positioning ect. And 2) at this point in the game, you need everyone alive to properly tank, heal, and DPS him down in time since there's a soft enrage mechanic or two built in to him to prevent a prolonged encounter. You don't actually need to perform perfectly (I've eaten a bomb or two and shrugged it off) but it's tighter than just about anything else, and that's a lot to expect from DF or people new to the fight. He literally starts being able to knock you off (effectively a 1shot with no chance of recovery) every 20-30 seconds towards the end for several minutes, and that's assuming you can keep the normal damage/healing in check (which is also no joke).

That being said, I fully intend to help folks and pass down my knowledge as I learn the fight so others can do so in turn (just like I do with Garuda EX). Titan HM was a breaker of spirits and this is notably harder in all aspects.

Holy shit! No wonder peoples' patience wears thin. This fight sounds like hell on her period.

Valus

It was a rant, and turned out to be a brief description of the back story since some one was butt hurt that one line I said.

Also if you can't see the difference between a mild complaint and your deliberate desire to sabotage someone's game then I don't know what to say to you.

Also I have said multiple times, I have no problem with people trying to be elitists, just don't be butt hurt when people call you that ;o

What the hell? I've got no words man. But call me whatever you want, and keep on with the hyperbole. Seriously, PM me if you want to continue this.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I started recently (after a 5 month hiatus because of a very busy semester) with a group of friends. They aren't the most tactical in the world but can learn the dance if they get their butts kicked two or three times. I guess you could call them 'average', though I hesitate to use that word seeing as they are pretty capable party mates.

So essentially, Titan EX is so difficult that peoples' tolerance for teaching newbies the ropes is almost nonexistent. That's rather unfortunate seeing as my experience so far has been a big positive with Ultros's community. Hopefully I can find a group if my friends end up dropping the game.

EDIT:

Holy shit! No wonder peoples' patience wears thin then. This fight sounds like hell on her period.

Videos and DF are the ways to learn the fight. PF and Static groups are the way to finish it once you learned (probably takes roughly 20-30 pulls to learn if you get decent DFs)

Videos and DF are the ways to learn the fight. PF and Static groups are the way to finish it once you learned (probably takes roughly 20-30 pulls to learn if you get decent DFs)

No freaking way I would recommend DF to learn such a fight. 80% you don't get past heart and the 20% people leaves after one wipe.

If you have a FC with ppl that can help or ppl that can stick together to learn it or you find a PF that sticks together to learning, or yeah you can smash your head with DF for days until you find enough that aren't a total disaster.

MogCakes

No freaking way I would recommend DF to learn such a fight. 80% you don't get past heart and the 20% people leaves after one wipe.

If you have a FC with ppl that can help or ppl that can stick together to learn it or you find a PF that sticks together to learning, or yeah you can smash your head with DF for days until you find enough that aren't a total disaster.

I've always been wary of the duty finder, the people you get are complete unknowns and rarely do any of them speak beyond the occasional 'lol'. I'm just hoping my friends don't drop the game so we can go through the (admittedly painful sounding) learning process for fights like this and I don't have to deal with people leaving after a wipe. Also helps that we're always on skype. But Titan EX is a full party fight right? My group is only 4 people (more recently 5). So I suppose I have to deal with unknowns either way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom