• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart444

I main a DRG and honestly I don't think you need any at all. Maybe one or two to make your rotation less work and combine your offensive buffs into one click, but as long as you're familiar with tour ideal rotation you should be fine as long as you can adapt quickly and pop off some cooldowns if things go south.

What is the ideal rotation? I'm still early on (just about level 20) myself but since I plan on maining a DRG... so yeah.

What are the recommended macros for DRG? Reached level 50 yesterday and made some progress on the relic quest:

No. There is a grand total of one macro that is good for DRG, and all it is is Power Surge on one line and Jump on the next, so that when you first hit the button it will use Power Surge if it is up, and then hit it again for Jump, and just use Jump if Power Surge is not up. Best used with the /micon of Power Surge and the real button for Jump placed near it so you can see the cool down of both skills. Do note that even with this macro you will have to get use to it's usage since if you are just mashing it in, you are likly to set a Jump off without a Power Surge if it was too soon after another attack. Putting any kind of wait already lengthens the long time of jump and clips into the next GCD. Lastly just like every other instant attack, you don't want to use both of these skills between one GCD attack and have to weave them across multiple ones.

Macroing normal GCD damage skills is bad for any class since you can't macro the exact timing between their usage. Some classes it works out for with instant attacks that you always want used before something if it is up, or if certain skills can only be used after another skill. For DRG especially you will always be weaving your instant attacks between other attacks, and it will not always be before certain skills, so it doesn't really work out.

What is the ideal rotation? I'm still early on (just about level 20) myself but since I plan on maining a DRG... so yeah.

I posted this a wall of text a few pages back that has a ton of info and a link to a resource for more. Click the button to get to it.

It's often hard to accept that when stuff isn't going well, it's your own fault. But I guess if, when you are removed from the equation, the situation immediately improves, it becomes even harder to deny. Congrats to some members of my group going on to beat Ifrit EX on their first few tries in a duty finder group after we wiped to it for 3 hours. Sorry for holding you back.

Hey. Stop that. The house of scrubs fails together, and only beats things easily when carried, like they clearly were. They also did it without your tanks. Guess that is proof positive that Yenn and Rag are as bad as we all say they are behind their backs.

I use only two:

1) For buffs: (IR + BfB macro)

2) Power Surge + Jump Macro

Don't know why I never thought of that IR + BFB macro, to use the same way as the PS + J one. Ah yeah, I guess it wouldn't be as good at times when I want to get BFB up first to pad out its cool down time, like using it a few seconds before the first fast conflag on twin so that it will be up again right before the second one.

Aeana

I... can't believe I'm even going to ask this and I mean absolutely no disrespect. But given the atmosphere of the discussion as of late and when considering that you are one of the best healers in the FC from what I have seen, is this sarcastic?

No, it isn't sarcastic. I really hope I don't come off as that big of a jerk that you would think I would ever do something like that.
I appreciate your compliment about my healing abilities, because I take a lot of pride in doing well, but I am far from perfect and I make tons of mistakes, like the ones I made yesterday that caused me to make that post in the first place. Many have said that I am being too hard on myself, but people are generally way too nice to point fingers at me, so I need to recognize when I screw up and strive to do better.

Don't know why I never thought of that IR + BFB macro, to use the same way as the PS + J one. Ah yeah, I guess it wouldn't be as good at times when I want to get BFB up first to pad out its cool down time, like using it a few seconds before the first fast conflag on twin so that it will be up again right before the second one.

You can always put BfB first and after you use them together, since their cooldowns are different, they won't overlap again, unless you wait for both to be up. And in any case BfB is still first.

(that's actually how I do it, BfB is first in my macro)

Sophia

No, it isn't sarcastic. I really hope I don't come off as that big of a jerk that you would think I would ever do something like that.
I appreciate your compliment about my healing abilities, because I take a lot of pride in doing well, but I am far from perfect and I make tons of mistakes, like the ones I made yesterday that caused me to make that post in the first place. Many have said that I am being too hard on myself, but people are generally way too nice to point fingers at me, so I need to recognize when I screw up and strive to do better.

Can't say I really understand the specifics of what went wrong, but I can say from countless experiences as a raid leader over the past ten years that people pointing fingers as others generally causes more problems then it solves. Not the average player's job to tell others players whats going wrong, that belongs to the officers and the raid leads.

Aeana

Can't say I really understand the specifics of what went wrong, but I can say from countless experiences as a raid leader over the past ten years that people pointing fingers as others generally causes more problems then it solves. Not the average player's job to tell others players whats going wrong, that belongs to the officers and the raid leads.
Well, fortunately, our group is much closer/friendlier than that and nowhere near as rigid. There are no "average players," there's just group members and everybody is equally important.

Sophia

Well, fortunately, our group is much closer/friendlier than that and nowhere near as rigid. There are no "average players," there's just group members and everybody is equally important.

I mean average player in the sense of social ranking, not skill level. Not sure what kind of makeup your group has, but even the most laid back of groups usually has someone (officially or not) calling the shots and looking over people.

You really shouldn't be too hard on yourself regardless.

----------------------------

On a completely unrelated subject, I'd just like to say that combo pieces are the worst thing ever and I am no way saying this because I'm stuck with the Darklight leg/feet combo and still can't get rid of them despite having better feet pieces. -_-;

Tash

I am pretty much always assuming it was my fault when something went wrong. And I always feel bad. More a healer specific issue though, I think.

It's not only bad though, it pretty much pushes me to try to be my best in my own limits and push and improve as much as I can.

On the armor related note: It's so annoying that Cleric Culottes have the model of a sailor moon skirt - looks like ass with everything but the Cleric chest :/ Totally ruins the cool look of the Allagan chest piece :(

Wilsongt

mentor me in my alts path to be an arcanist

DoTs. DoTs as far as the eye can see. When I ran Sastasha the first time, I was the primary healer and I let Emerald Carby do all of the DPS work for me.

When you hit LV 15, do your quest, get Topaz Carby and you'll never need to worry about being hit when you are attacking stuff. It's a great tank.

You can cross class protect, also, so you can mitigate damage that way.

Reknoc

DoTs. DoTs as far as the eye can see. When I ran Sastasha the first time, I was the primary healer and I let Emerald Carby do all of the DPS work for me.

When you hit LV 15, do your quest, get Topaz Carby and you'll never need to worry about being hit when you are attacking stuff. It's a great tank.

So Topaz rat is the best, gotcha, will be sure to use it all the time.

Sophia

If you play tank you better believe everything that happens around you is your fault

Even a healer pulling aggro because they spammed Medica II like crazy? :p

(No joke, my guildmate did this earlier by accident on Garuda EX. Right as Chirada spawned for the last phase. Hilarity Ensured.)

Using Topaz Carbuncle in a dungeon is a fantastic way to get yelled at. :D

Even a healer pulling aggro because they spammed Medica II like crazy? :p

(No joke, my guildmate did this earlier by accident on Garuda EX. Right as Chirada spawned for the last phase. Hilarity Ensured.)

Yup. Tank's fault. No exceptions. :p

Sophia

Yup. Tank's fault. No exceptions. :p

;_;

Well, I could have gotten more aggro on her I guess. But that one second I was baffled when she flew across the map was all it took for tragedy to happen.

I hope my guild goes back into Garuda EX. That was just kind of a spur of the moment thing and we almost downed her.

It's truly amazing. I did the whole 3X hunting log at lv30 thanks to Topaz. I'd be excited to get Titan Egi if I didn't discard SMN right away.

You'll be loved by all!

Plus it's a very effective passive-agressive way of insulting the tank. Too bad most tanks that require a Topaz slap don't even get that you're calling them shitty.

;_;

Well, I could have gotten more aggro on her I guess. But that one second I was baffled when she flew across the map was all it took for tragedy to happen.

I hope my guild goes back into Garuda EX. That was just kind of a spur of the moment thing and we almost downed her.

We're still working on managing the sisters/spiny during the tornado phase, but we have had a few instances of the tanks having to peel one or both of the sisters off the healers after she first summons them. Kind of running joke for us because "Be careful because Zhu isn't gonna do shit if you spam heal when they spawn, she's just gonna let you die."

Sophia

We're still working on managing the sisters/spiny during the tornado phase, but we have had a few instances of the tanks having to peel one or both of the sisters off the healers after she first summons them. Kind of running joke for us because "Be careful because Zhu isn't gonna do shit if you spam heal when they spawn, she's just gonna let you die."

I'm too nice to let people die to mistakes. Luckily, the healer immediately realized their error, and I started trying to save a Rage of Harlone combo finisher so I could get immediate threat from the one two punch of Harlone and Spirits Within. Seemed to have solved most problems, but we still had issues with Suparna.

I'm too nice to let people die to mistakes. Luckily, the healer immediately realized their error, and I started trying to save a Rage of Harlone combo finisher so I could get immediate threat from the one two punch of Harlone and Spirits Within. Seemed to have solved most problems, but we still had issues with Suparna.

It's all done in jest. I like watching our healer run around like a chicken with his head cut off. We spend most of our time breaking the fights and experimenting than actually trying to learn and down them. Healers got the better laugh this week in Coil when the Caduceus split on only registered on screen for the other tank and DPS. The two White Mages and me only saw him pull one away so we just stood there watching and all tease him now about Hood Swipe hitting him too hard when he started yelling "But I saw two!"

What are the recommended macros for DRG? Reached level 50 yesterday and made some progress on the relic quest:

Macro, Kags? D:

Gotta do it full manual, don't be fooled by DRG imitators!

DRG rule of thumb is this:

- If Heavy Thrust (H) isn't active, use it (ideally before it drops off).
- If Disembowel (D) isn't active, use Impluse Drive > Disembowel > Chaos Thrust (IDC) (ideally before D drops off).
- If H and D are up and Phlebotomize (P) isn't, use that (ideally just after it does drop to get full DoT damage).
- Once all three of those are met, True Thrust > Vorpal Thrust > Full Thrust (TTT).

Some additional tips from my experience as DRG:

- Don't use Leg Sweep in your rotation on enemies that you want to stun. Do use it on mobs that don't AOE.
- Use Feint if solo as an opener (unless it dies fast), or in groups on mobs that AOE to help the tank. Only have to use it once.
- Don't spam your other two Jumps as additional DPS on a single target unless you KNOW you won't need them for their actual purpose (AOE or gap closing). So many people do this, Dragonfire is an AOE and Spineshatter is a stun + gap closer (if you have to dodge and come back it doesn't break combo).
- When in a big mob AOE scenario, if you were smart and saved Dragonfire Dive, you can H, Blood for Blood, Life Surge then Dragonfire Dive > Ring of Thorns > Doom Spike. Things will die.

I'll write more if needed but I have work soon.

Oh and Aeana, no mistake you made or may have made changes the fact that you're a damn good healer. Encounters take practice, no shame in a mistake especially with all you've already accomplished. You have nothing to prove. Nothing. :)

End game rotation using the short form above (without off-GCD): H-IDC-P-TTT-H-TTT-P-IDC-H-TTT-P-TTT (repeat).

Yeah it's big.

EDIT: Corrected rotation errors.

studyguy

Being a Black Mage and seeing those DRG and MNK rotations make me dizzy.

Most everything is more involved than MT PLD.
1-2-3 all day with those off GCDs spicing it.

OT PLD always feels more fun as I get to work Fracture timings in regularly. Shame in the face of others in the DPS race, I'm a three legged horse vs hot rods.

MechaX

I apologize for even asking the question in the first place, and the reason I wanted to make sure is because you don't come across that way.

I mean, I try to play the best I can and I always have my ear open to constructive criticism. But I am not immune to making mistakes, even simple ones (like eating a landslide in a certain Titan HM group two or so nights ago). Being harder on oneself to keep oneself motivated and consistently striving to improve is one thing. However, if it's at the point where people such as yourself are also getting concerned somewhat about personal and group expectations and not being a baddie or what-have you, that's unsettling. Now you have some folks that are more of the mindset that they need to DF a fight into the ground before even attempting to ask more experienced FC mates for help (I'm not really going to offer my own opinion on stance on the matter, but still).

Stuart444

End game rotation using the short form above (without off-GCD): H-IDC-P-TTT-TTT-FT-P-IDC-H-TTT-P-TTT (repeat).

Yeah it's big.

Thanks, I bookmarked your post because it looks helpful when I get to end game :)

In other news, practiced some tanking as a MRD (leveling it to 15 just so it's out of the way) in guildhests.

1st level 10 guildhest: Went alright. Was able to keep aggro off my party okay enough. Helps that most enemies were near each other and I had overpower. Almost messed up near the end when the final monsters appeared but they were killed quickly enough that it didn't become a problem.

+1 to confidence

2nd level 10 guildhest mission: Did a lot more badly. Concentrated on boss, had trouble getting the adds, took time getting used to switching between enemies via controller. Boss got killed quickly enough.

-1 to confidence

2nd level 10 guildhest mission (via duty roulette): Did better at switching between enemies to try and pick up adds. Using overpower mainly when I could get the adds close together so I could pick them up however one of the party members kept getting full aggro from the boss and skull sunder nor overpower would help me. Not sure if that was my fault or not.

-2 to confidence :(

I may or may not try tanking in the future. (as in take a tank up to level 50 to do dungeons with) But this didn't do too well for my confidence. But I suppose maybe some extra practice would help.

Just got a call from the tech guy. They won't be able to fix my PC today, I'll have to wait until next week.

I don't want to do Coil on PS3, help me ;_;

Thanks, I bookmarked your post because it looks helpful when I get to end game :)

In other news, practiced some tanking as a MRD (leveling it to 15 just so it's out of the way) in guildhests.

1st level 10 guildhest: Went alright. Was able to keep aggro off my party okay enough. Helps that most enemies were near each other and I had overpower. Almost messed up near the end when the final monsters appeared but they were killed quickly enough that it didn't become a problem.

+1 to confidence

2nd level 10 guildhest mission: Did a lot more badly. Concentrated on boss, had trouble getting the adds, took time getting used to switching between enemies via controller. Boss got killed quickly enough.

-1 to confidence

2nd level 10 guildhest mission (via duty roulette): Did better at switching between enemies to try and pick up adds. Using overpower mainly when I could get the adds close together so I could pick them up however one of the party members kept getting full aggro from the boss and skull sunder nor overpower would help me. Not sure if that was my fault or not.

-2 to confidence :(

I may or may not try tanking in the future. (as in take a tank up to level 50 to do dungeons with) But this didn't do too well for my confidence. But I suppose maybe some extra practice would help.

If the DPS is more geared than you it can be hard to keep aggro but what you are doing is good. You want to cross class provoke and flash from gladiator to help you. Also try to cycle through your targets to see the aggro on all of them . spamming overpower a couple times also helps with that initial aggro then do your heavy swing skull thunder combo.

No takato we gotta beat turn 4 :(

Nohar

Is darklight set good for healer? Or should I just use the philosophy tomes for mats to craft with?

Darklight is OK. The 70 HQ Vanya set is good, but DL will be superior to it unless you meld a lot of materia on the Vanya set.
To put it simply: Green stuff from regular dungeons ilvl 55/60 < Vanya NQ < Vanya HQ < Darklight < Vanya HQ+Materias &#8804; CT Stuff (ilvl 80) < AF+1 / Allagois (ilvl 90)

The jury is still out on weither CT stuff is better, equivalent or worse than Vanya HQ+Materias (it may depends heavily on the stats and which ones you are trying to improve, since SCH and WHM don't have the same objectives in that regard).

Stuart444

If the DPS is more geared than you it can be hard to keep aggro but what you are doing is good. You want to cross class provoke and flash from gladiator to help you. Also try to cycle through your targets to see the aggro on all of them . spamming overpower a couple times also helps with that initial aggro then do your heavy swing skull thunder combo.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Maybe when I get one level 50 (my main DRG), I'll go back, level up GLD a bit to get Provoke and Flash then try again on MRD :)

studyguy

No takato we gotta beat turn 4 :(

Aye, I recall playing with some BG friends early on after they had gotten to T4/T5 before everyone else and having problems keeping agro against the DPS that was massively more geared than I was. Tanking in general is a different beast though, you generally have to know the instance in and out to be as effective as possible as you're always the first man in.

NeOak

Reading this thread makes me notice a lot of things.

Question: If I wanted to farm during the weekend for tomes so I can get DL, what would be the recommended course of action?

Nohar

Reading this thread makes me notice a lot of things.

Question: If I wanted to farm during the weekend for tomes so I can get DL, what would be the recommended course of action?

In short order : Random Roulette (200 +100) > CT (if everything goes well only) (205) &#8805; Wanderer Palace Speed Run (100 every 15min) > Haukke Manor if done in 30min (??? but surely equivalent or better than regular VP) > Wanderer Palace (100 every 30min+).

Your mileage may vary though.

Ixian

In short order : Random Roulette (200 + 30 or 50) > CT (if everything goes well only) (205) > Vagabond Palace Speed Run (100 every 15min) > Haukke Manor if done in 30min (??? but surely equivalent or better than regular VP) > Vagabond Palace (100 every 30min+).
I don't understand the 200 + 30/50. 200 is the amount of Philo you get from main story roulette, plus you'd get 100 from completing the dungeon.

NeOak

In short order : Random Roulette (200 + 30 or 50) > CT (if everything goes well only) (205) > Vagabond Palace Speed Run (100 every 15min) > Haukke Manor if done in 30min (??? but surely equivalent or better than regular VP) > Vagabond Palace (100 every 30min+).

Your mileage may vary though.

I haven't unlocked CT. And Vagabond Palace? Hmmm.

I still need to run AK for my Relic quest too lol.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
If we beat T4 on our first serious try with me on PS3, we'll oficially become the Best Coil Group.

With all the myth accumulation these days, beating T4 pretty quickly is the norm.
In the earlier days we would have 2-3 i90 pieces at most by the time we were trying to down T4.

My first time in T5 I didn't even have my i90 lance yet!

Nohar

I don't understand the 200 + 30/50. 200 is the amount of Philo you get from main story roulette, plus you'd get 100 from completing the dungeon.

My mistake. I got confused between Philo and Mytho. Yeah it's 200+100 (and I wrote the french name of Wanderer Palace instead of the english one too). Editing my post.

Ixian

I haven't unlocked CT.
You should knock that out. You can run CT at a fairly low gear level, it drops stuff that's better than darklight, and it'll help you get additional philosophy to fill out your darklight.

Also thought your name looked familiar; you bought one of my spare keys a few months back. XD Glad to see you're still playing.

Fixed that for you. Looks like it got a bit mixed up after the first TTT combo.

Sure did. Editing mine now, was typing it super quick on a work break based on the one of the forum.

EDIT: Oh and Stuart, don't get discouraged by early tanking. It's actually more difficult IMO than endgame tanking due to a lack of tools (26-30 is when it gets easier). I'll go over tank basics when I get the chance but one tip I'll leave you with now since you're using a controller: holding LT or RT (L2/R2) and pressing LB or RB (L1/L2) will toggle enemies only. Basically the controller version of tab target. Crucial for playing on gamepad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom