• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
this is how i tanked early levels

gld - flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

mrd - overpower overpower overpower overpower overpower overpower overpower

NeOak

You should knock that out. You can run CT at a fairly low gear level, it drops stuff that's better than darklight, and it'll help you get additional philosophy to fill out your darklight.

Also thought your name looked familiar; you bought one of my spare keys a few months back. XD Glad to see you're still playing.

LOL yeah. I started during Open Beta but due to work and school I was finally able to get to 50 last Saturday. Trying to catch up with my friend who is waaaaaay more advanced than me, so that I can at least do runs with her.

MogCakes

this is how i tanked early levels

gld - flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

mrd - overpower overpower overpower overpower overpower overpower overpower

nonono D: that destroys TP real quick. Just one use is good for drawing aggro. If you're mobbing then bloodbath/berserk/overpower is a good combo, but again your TP will run out within 20 seconds.

Alucrid

Banned
nonono D: that destroys TP real quick. Just one use is good for drawing aggro. If you're mobbing then bloodbath/berserk/overpower is a good combo, but again your TP will run out within 20 seconds.

after i ran out of tp i would walk away and get a sandwich. then i would come back to pull tp and make the next pull

I've never done T4 on anything except PS3. Same for Darkness Tear.

You just have to turn off pretty much all effects and get good with controller controls.
Yeah, I'll spend some quality time with the training dummies to perfect my rotation on a controller. Who knows, maybe I'll even switch when I get my PC back.

Well our Coil group beat Turn 4 within 2 days of trying so I expect you guys to do it as well!
Don't pressure me! I even have an excuse!

MogCakes

So 90% of the game.

This game is like pre-school for seasoned Tanks in other MMO's.

FATE bosses? Or even just FATES in general. I'm saying he literally cannot go and make a sandwich and come back expecting to be alive all the time (or at least not when he's tanking). For dungeons it's a given the healer will slave to keep the tank alive even if they're afk during a fight so long as they have aggro. In ye olde MMOs of yonder year like Ragnarok Online it was possible to gear yourself well enough to where almost nothing barring MVPs and mini-bosses could do enough damage to you to be threatening. That isn't the case with XIV or at least not at lower levels as he was specifying. That is some hyperbole.

studyguy

This game is like pre-school for seasoned Tanks in other MMO's.

Coming off of WoW and other games, honestly tanking never felt difficult. Maybe the pressure gets to some people, but I always thought it was an easy job. Some of the later fights here are involved enough, but I mean, I don't know what people expect from modern MMO tanking. Hell most modern MMOs just boil down to don't stand in red most of the time.

Ploid 3.0

I didn't find it particularly funny.

As I read over the stuff I started to type that I was sure he didn't literally mean he went to make a sandwich, but like people that say they had enough time to make sandwiches between long load times or MGS4's PS3 act installs/load. It still probably took him a while to get the tp he wanted and it probably didn't matter that he wasn't using abilities since enmity was probably locked.

MogCakes

that's nice

I'm more than happy to let you know.

As I read over the stuff I started to type that I'm sure he didn't literally mean he went to make a sandwich, but like people that say they had enough time to make sandwiches between long load times or MGS4's PS3 act installs/load.

I know full well that tanking is piss easy in XIV, but it's also easy in just about every modern MMO, even TERA. When I see people say "this game is easy to MMO vets" I think "so what else is new?".

Alucrid

Banned
As I read over the stuff I started to type that I was sure he didn't literally mean he went to make a sandwich, but like people that say they had enough time to make sandwiches between long load times or MGS4's PS3 act installs/load. It still probably took him a while to get the tp he wanted and it probably didn't matter that he wasn't using abilities since enmity was probably locked.

A ham and cheese sandwich wouldn't take more than a few seconds to make.

Ploid 3.0

A ham and cheese sandwich wouldn't take more than a few seconds to make.

That's true, I tend to spend way too much time making food and I'm not particularly good at it. Also I couldn't stand to eat and touch electronics so I took other people's word for it that making a sandwich = long time.

MogCakes

That's true, I tend to spend way too much time making food and I'm not particularly good at it. Also I couldn't stand to eat and touch electronics so I took other people's word for it that making a sandwich = long time.

Making a sandwich usually takes about 1-2 minutes. 3+ if you want to do something fancy like add lettuce or mayo.

Mupod

My friend is currently trying to download the client for the free weekend but it's telling him he can't without an active account. That sounds...kind of counterproductive. This is the link it says to use, and it's the one he's having trouble with. Any suggestions?

He actually played 1.0, albeit only for 3 hours, but he does have an existing account.

edit: apparently it hasn't started yet, he'll try again tonight.

Croyles

According to my sandwich making calculations, a standard meat + lettuce + sauce + bread sandwich would take at least 2 minutes and 23 seconds to make. Then you have to calculate in the eating time and the time it takes to lick your fingers clean which approximates to 4 minutes 57 seconds.

So yeah. There.

Nohar

All this discussion made me hungry...

Anyhow: done my T1 and T2 of the week. We had some problems on T1, with a lot of stupid deaths (including mine) and people were too heavy on the DPS before the split (the second add popped just a few seconds before the snake split up, didn't have the time to feed the snake). After talking about it, we all agreed to slow down in order to feed it correctly, and this time we managed to kill it.

T2 went rather smoothly in comparison, and I even got 2 friendlist invite :)

*sigh* Still 10 levels to go before I get my Scholar lvl 50. I also need to level-up Dragoon to 22: this cross-skill is becoming mandatory on some fights, can't do without it anymore.

WolvenOne

My friend is currently trying to download the client for the free weekend but it's telling him he can't without an active account. That sounds...kind of counterproductive. This is the link it says to use, and it's the one he's having trouble with. Any suggestions?

He actually played 1.0, albeit only for 3 hours, but he does have an existing account.

edit: apparently it hasn't started yet, he'll try again tonight.

Starts tomorrow at 8AM, doesn't it?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I think I over indulged on Fates and doing stuff in my hunter's log. Having to hustle to get caught up on the main story. Right now I just want to get to the pirate quest I need in order to unlock Sastasha. >_<

Anyhow: done my T1 and T2 of the week. We had some problems on T1, with a lot of stupid deaths (including mine) and people were too heavy on the DPS before the split (the second add popped just a few seconds before the snake split up, didn't have the time to feed the snake). After talking about it, we all agreed to slow down in order to feed it correctly, and this time we managed to kill it.
Our group did the same the first time, but in the second run we didn't bother with it and cleared anyway. Had as much problems as the first time, in the end lol

I don't mean to further get off topic, but the fact that no one mentioned lightly toasting their bread for ham/turkey sandwiches offends my taste buds.

People tend to give up on Garuda EX far too quickly for my tastes...

Also, has anyone had much luck pugging Coil? I mean I have a Coil group as SMN but I wouldn't mind trying to pug Coil as WHM and learning the fights that way. I don't know if I really want to commit to another Coil group when I have one already sooo yea.

Also, has anyone had much luck pugging Coil? I mean I have a Coil group as SMN but I wouldn't mind trying to pug Coil as WHM and learning the fights that way. I don't know if I really want to commit to another Coil group when I have one already sooo yea.
Coil locks you out for a week when you do it, so you can't be in more than one group.

Is not that hard to do T4 with a pug. Actually of my last 2 pugs both managed to get a win. For some reason ppl are way more patient on coil than in Ex Primals....

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Finally got to do Sastasha. Went as a conjurer and it was fun. Took me a little bit to get used to how much incoming damage I should expect, but after that it was pretty easy. One thing I'm wondering as a healer is if it's frowned upon to pound out a bit of DPS during a lull. I was swapping into Cleric Stance when this happened to DOT things up and toss out stone where possible, then dropping my stance and going back into full-on healing to top people up.

No one complained in the group, but is there a general etiquette for this or do most people prefer healers to just sit back and heal during random dungeons?

Kenai

Finally got to do Sastasha. Went as a conjurer and it was fun. Took me a little bit to get used to how much incoming damage I should expect, but after that it was pretty easy. One thing I'm wondering as a healer is if it's frowned upon to pound out a bit of DPS during a lull. I was swapping into Cleric Stance when this happened to DOT things up and toss out stone where possible, then dropping my stance and going back into full-on healing to top people up.

No one complained in the group, but is there a general etiquette for this or do most people prefer healers to just sit back and heal during random dungeons?

Generally speaking it is preferable to do so in easier/farm content if you have fun doing so or if it makes the run go faster, because why not? There's even a few skills (like Shadowflare slow and Holy stun) that are capable of making a fight much easier overall if used properly thanks to the extra status effects. It should never come before your healing though, and since damage in this game can be quite spiky (especially in DF with undergeared tanks or people standing in bad things), and mana can be a concern if you are undergeared yourself or if it's a prolonged encounter like a boss fight, it can be tricky til you get used to the fights or the skills of your pt members.

Ken

Nothing wrong with contributing DPS as long as no one dies.

Sophia

I made Target of Target macros specifically so I could do some DPS on the controller. Nobody really cares as long as everyone is alive. Conjurers can be a big help on the bosses in Halatali.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom