• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

All these abilities on my character have become quite foreign. Are there any helpful guides you would recommend to get me up to speed on how the battle system has changed since 1.0?
What classes did you play in 1.0?

Contrary to what kiryogi said, if you really want to learn from basics up, you would probably do well to do the dungeons. The first five or so dungeons (Sastasha, Tamtara, Copperbell Normal, Halatali, Totorak) are cakewalks, but they pretty much slowly introduce mechanics that teach even the absolute freshies how to deal with environmental elements, noticing how adds affect a boss (giant line running from add to boss, adds that head for boss that cause damage to whole party, etc.), introducing dodging aoe, and all-around just letting people get used to how party play differs from solo play.

If you want to know how your jobs/classes should play specifically, you'll have to ask someone about that.

What I heard:
  • Monks are all about Greased Lightning, even if they die
  • Dragoons are two things: Jumping, and dying to cleaves
  • Bards are third person shooters because they can strafe and shoot, there's also something about songs maybe
  • Black mages are Manawall makes us invincible!
  • Summoners are about using the wrong summon for the encounter
  • Paladins are cooldowns
  • Warriors are Marauders are cool in pvp
What I actually sort-of know/understand:
White Mage
Scholar
Maybe Summoner

So ask someone else how to play >_> specifically Qhon/Ken, since he's 50 in all combat classes

Stuart444

Logged back in due to the free weekend, saw none of my quests were in the immediate area, and decided to jump off for now.

In case I resubscribe in the near future (I was going to wait on PS4 release, but with servers segregated I probably won't) how IS the Free Compansy situation on Ultros now? I know GAF was constantly full, but I'm wondering if that's still an issue or if it's now more about purging inactive users?

Huh? I'm pretty sure it's just the beta where the servers are segregated. The full release will use the same ones that the PC/PS3 versions use.

Jayhawk

So they nerfed the triple leves for crafting. Why would they do that for

The crafting leves that would start in town and take you to the outdoor area were always the superior leves in terms of reward exp and reward shards/materials per craft. The 2.1 patch changes made them even more superior.

Did they end up wiping the characters from the Open beta?

I played in that and enjoyed it enough but never got around to picking it up. Might now, got the week off and haven't play an MMO for ages.

MRD, GLA, DRG, THM, all at endgame capacity. Quit shortly after I got my Moogle gear.

Thanks for the advice!

You'll like PLD now, they can actually do things. Their mitigation actually matters now and Hallowed Ground has a much shorter CD (although still one of the longest in the game, justifiably).

WAR is nowhere near the killing machine on 1.23, but I still like them after the adjustments. Most fun tank (still).

DRG is of course my main, and the class that is closest to 1.23. They still do three-stage directional combos. Only big difference is that Power Surge's mechanic (the attack increase after a Jump) was changed to Greased Lightning and given to MNK as their main thing.

Don't know a thing about THM and never have other than when they're pulling things they shouldn't be. XD

THM is pretty simple, put up Thunder and then Fire, Fire, Fire, Fire. If the procs for Thundercloud and Firestarter come up, put up Manaward and then proceed kiss your butt goodbye.

Note: I'm not entirely serious.

Alucrid

Banned
You'll like PLD now, they can actually do things. Their mitigation actually matters now and Hallowed Ground has a much shorter CD (although still one of the longest in the game, justifiably).

WAR is nowhere near the killing machine on 1.23, but I still like them after the adjustments. Most fun tank (still).

DRG is of course my main, and the class that is closest to 1.23. They still do three-stage directional combos. Only big difference is that Power Surge's mechanic (the attack increase after a Jump) was changed to Greased Lightning and given to MNK as their main thing.

Don't know a thing about THM and never have other than when they're pulling things they shouldn't be. XD

If a 2.1 Paladin is doing things, was a 1.XX Paladin just walking away from the keyboard?

Reknoc

THM is throw fireballs like its online street fighter. Maybe sometime in the last 10 levels there'll be something that makes it a bit more involving but hopefully not!

kiryogi

Banned
Uh. 1.x PLD was good at the end for solo tanking. It's just now PLD > > > WAR until 2.1 hit recently, now it's a bit more equal.

Ken

THM is pretty simple, put up Thunder and then Fire, Fire, Fire, Fire. If the procs for Thundercloud and Firestarter come up, put up Manaward and then proceed kiss your butt goodbye.

Note: I'm not entirely serious.

Why manaward on procs? Seems like the exact opposite you should do.

Unless that's an in-joke within the BLM club.

kiryogi

Banned

Contrary to what kiryogi said, if you really want to learn from basics up, you would probably do well to do the dungeons. The first five or so dungeons (Sastasha, Tamtara, Copperbell Normal, Halatali, Totorak) are cakewalks, but they pretty much slowly introduce mechanics that teach even the absolute freshies how to deal with environmental elements, noticing how adds affect a boss (giant line running from add to boss, adds that head for boss that cause damage to whole party, etc.), introducing dodging aoe, and all-around just letting people get used to how party play differs from solo play.

If you want to know how your jobs/classes should play specifically, you'll have to ask someone about that.

What I heard:
  • Dragoons are two things: Jumping, and dying to cleaves
  • Bards are third person shooters because they can strafe and shoot, there's also something about songs maybe
  • Paladins are cooldowns
White Mage
Scholar
Maybe Summoner

So ask someone else how to play >_> specifically Qhon/Ken, since he's 50 in all combat classes

So how does this not apply to Guildhests? Those actually teach you mechanics, versus going thru the mindnumbing calkwalk of those first few dungeons.

THM is throw fireballs like its online street fighter. Maybe sometime in the last 10 levels there'll be something that makes it a bit more involving but hopefully not!
You, um... start using Firaga and Blizzaga instead of Transpose, I guess? And you get some buffs and debuffs that no one uses.

Eusis

Huh? I'm pretty sure it's just the beta where the servers are segregated. The full release will use the same ones that the PC/PS3 versions use.
I meant the beta characters are, so I effectively have no idea when the game REALLY comes out on PS4. Ergo I don't think I'll wait explicitly for that.

Reading discussion of BLM rotations drives me nuts because in NA it's called Fire, Fire II, Fire III and outside it's called Fire, Fira, Firaga. I have to sit here and translate every conversation. This is aggravating on the official forums too. Fuck you Squenix.

It will always be Fire, Fire 2 and Fire 3 to me. And Flare. This ara and raga business is lameo

Why manaward on procs? Seems like the exact opposite you should do.

Unless that's an in-joke within the BLM club.

Because after popping those damaging spells and Flare, the enemies will be coming after you. Especially if you keep getting procs one after another. Of course this is why BLM's need to have Quelling Strikes.

Ken

Because after popping those damaging spells and Flare, the enemies will be coming after you. Especially if you keep getting procs one after another. Of course this is why BLM's need to have Quelling Strikes.

Oh, probably. I very rarely get lucky with procs early on for aggro to be an issue. :(

What I heard:
  • Dragoons are two things: Styling, and dying to cleaves
  • Paladins are cooldowns
White Mage
Scholar
Maybe Summoner

fixed that

If a 2.1 Paladin is doing things, was a 1.XX Paladin just walking away from the keyboard?

1.23 Paladins were sitting in town because they never got invited to anything. Think 2.0 Warrior but worse.

In 1.23 DEF did next to nothing for mitigation and thus your HP and skills were the only real factors in tanking. Paladin skills sucked save for Hallowed Ground (which was a 15 min. CD) and Sentinel, and they had WAY less HP than a Warrior.

Reading discussion of BLM rotations drives me nuts because in NA it's called Fire, Fire II, Fire III and outside it's called Fire, Fira, Firaga. I have to sit here and translate every conversation. This is aggravating on the official forums too. Fuck you Squenix.

Yeah this was some bullshit. SE says they want it to be easier to understand but it isn't really. If they really wanted it to be "easier to understand" they would have given each one a different name. Methinks they just don't want their English translation to have those "Japanisms" (for lack of a better word) in them for some stupid unexplainable reason even though the Fire/Fira/Firaga/Firaja system has been in a TON of our FF games by now.

Uh. 1.x PLD was good at the end for solo tanking. It's just now PLD > > > WAR until 2.1 hit recently, now it's a bit more equal.

I haven't been on Sarg for a while but did you forget I had a PLD and a WAR at 50? XD

PLD was viable for endgame but when I say "can actually do stuff" I mean won't get scoffed at trying to do stuff by randoms like they did in 1.0.

Ren explained it better but PLD in 1.23 was WAR in 2.0, only it was worse.

Mupod

The crafting leves that would start in town and take you to the outdoor area were always the superior leves in terms of reward exp and reward shards/materials per craft. The 2.1 patch changes made them even more superior.

yep, once I realized this I never again did triple turn-ins. 2.1 made them significantly better, with the level 45 mor dhona deliveries giving over 200k xp. Before they were around 140k I believe.

Vlodril

Played a bit on the free weekend. Forgot how good this game looks and sounds.

Saw a lot of gaffers running around. Reached titan only to wipe 10 times in a row because both the healer and the dps spellcaster would not get out of the way of the push ability.

Other than that it was satisfying. Waiting 30+ mins to get into titan. Not so much.

studyguy

1.23 Paladins were sitting in town because they never got invited to anything. Think 2.0 Warrior but worse.

In 1.23 DEF did next to nothing for mitigation and thus your HP and skills were the only real factors in tanking. Paladin skills sucked save for Hallowed Ground (which was a 15 min. CD) and Sentinel, and they had WAY less HP than a Warrior.

Considering how different 1.23 was compared to 2.0, it really didn't matter. The community was so small, Linkshells ended up being completely insular groups. I don't know anyone who was left to argue about WAR vs PLD by the end of it considering how few people played. I took WAR/PLD to speedruns for AV & CC. Same deal for Nael. Honestly whatever you wanted to do worked in 1.23, but by the end of it WAR had teken a huge kick in the dick considering Parry no longer did 100% mitigation and their skills had been nerfed to the ground.

1.23 was a weird monster.

kiryogi

Banned
Considering how different 1.23 was compared to 2.0, it really didn't matter. The community was so small, Linkshells ended up being completely insular groups. I don't know anyone who was left to argue about WAR vs PLD by the end of it considering how few people played. I took WAR/PLD to speedruns for AV & CC. Same deal for Nael. Honestly whatever you wanted to do worked in 1.23, but by the end of it WAR had teken a huge kick in the dick considering Parry no longer did 100% mitigation and their skills had been nerfed to the ground.

1.23 was a weird monster.

This and infact, tanks proper would switch between PLD/WAR mid runs for most efficent speedrunning. Anyway, yeah, I had no issues partying up at all in 1.x besides my schedule.

chrono01

I actually prefer Fire, Fira, Firega. I didn't even know that it was translated differently outside of NA. :/

Stuart444

I meant the beta characters are, so I effectively have no idea when the game REALLY comes out on PS4. Ergo I don't think I'll wait explicitly for that.

Ah, fair enough then though someone earlier in the thread said the PS4 version is in April? I think?

That's just a small risk at the beginning of the pull, and you have to get a lot of prods to matter, unless you have an undergeared tank. On a similar leveled tank, I can pop raging strikes and go all out on the second astral phase with prods and I won't steal aggro.

Completed the awesome King Moggle fight, but isn't it kinda "hard" for a Main Scenario quest ?
Won't new people have trouble getting past this once more Main Scenario content hits ?

nOoblet16

I have a question about this game.

If I buy the PC or PS3 version now and play would I be able to buy the PS4 version when it comes out and continue to use the same character in the same server and play with the same people?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I have a question about this game.

If I buy the PC or PS3 version now and play would I be able to buy the PS4 version when it comes out and continue to use the same character in the same server and play with the same people?

If you buy the PS3 version you can swap your copy for the PS4 one for free. Your character will transfer just fine.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is there a way to control the hotbar (not crossbar) interface with the controller?

Sort of like how the controller interface was like in 1.0?

FrankCaron

Gold Member
Just started playing a few days ago and dinged 16 on Lancer before proceeding to visit Lima and Uld via airship for the story quest. I have a few questions:

- My buddy just started and is in Uld. Should I level alongside him from 1-15 as my second class?
- I'm debating between Dragoon and Bard. I was a BRD/WHM in FFXI. Is BRD as desirable in this one? It seems with the fewer number of DPS that DRG may be more teneable. My worry going DRG is finding parties.
- Any reason why I shouldn't level a class in a place other than it's related home town?

Ken

Just started playing a few days ago and dinged 16 on Lancer before proceeding to visit Lima and Uld via airship for the story quest. I have a few questions:

- My buddy just started and is in Uld. Should I level alongside him from 1-15 as my second class?
- I'm debating between Dragoon and Bard. I was a BRD/WHM in FFXI. Is BRD as desirable in this one? It seems with the fewer number of DPS that DRG may be more teneable. My worry going DRG is finding parties.
- Any reason why I shouldn't level a class in a place other than it's related home town?

-If you want to. No downsides to it.
-Everyone is desirable in end game stuff. DPS queues for duty finder are always long regardless of what DPS class you are. Just play the one you like.
-Not really, no. Level where you want to. The only point of convenience might be that you'll be close to your class trainer but they send you to so many different cities and areas that it doesn't really matter. There's many viable sources of XP in 2.1 that you can't really mess up anything or starve future classes of XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom