• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

The thing is that Myth gear is supposed to fill in for that. It actually doesn't because of the different stats, but it seems to be the intention.

It fills in yes, but for people obsessing over things like BiS it's probably unbearable for them to have to "settle" for myth gear when BiS calls for Allagan that won't drop, which is totally understandable; I really dislike gear behind RNG and only giving you one shot at the roll a week makes it worse. At least, that's how I see it.

studyguy

It fills in yes, but for people obsessing over things like BiS it's probably unbearable for them to have to "settle" for myth gear when BiS calls for Allagan that won't drop, which is totally understandable; I really dislike gear behind RNG and only giving you one shot at the roll a week makes it worse. At least, that's how I see it.

Honestly, if you've beaten Twin & EX primals, it really is just a personal thing at that point. BiS isn't always Allagan anyway, but I mean if I stop looking for the pieces then I lose a good portion of the reason I'm even playing.

At this point I do it real casual like, but I still enjoy the coil runs if only because my group is hilarious.

Teletraan1

Banned
Haha, just did a PF Titan HM. My first time in there as a bard. What a fucking grouchy group. There were only 4 of us alive and I kind of tunneled and forgot to Mage Ballad and the Healer just lost it on me. They were spamming chat but honestly I dont pay attention to chat and play with music on so I didn't even really notice. Like honestly my bad and apologized but to be called a retard and the worst bard ever when the rest of the group was dead and I never got hit by a single thing all run seemed pretty extreme. We killed it 2 pulls later. I love the game but I am starting to get really fatigued with dealing with people. Introvert world problems.

WolvenOne

Getting a little burnt out running Garuda EM over, and over, and over, and over!

Off Tanking that fight feels fairly easy, (for the most part) Maining doesn't feel that bad either, I haven't quite mastered multi-tasking that many tasks at once, but having gotten down to under 20% as a main, I'd like to think I get at least a passing grade there.

Despite this, it always seems like somebody is lagging. Somebody gets excited and kills the Spiny, (I had to Tank LB3 twice in one fight yesterday to keep the party from wiping,) somebody isn't DPSing properly, or the Spiny decides to go back to one of the Tanks immediately after Voking, while I'm out of flash range, etc etc etc!

I'm not in any danger of quitting the game, but if something doesn't happen soon I might have to break from the game for a day or two, just to recover from the accumulated frustration.

Edit: Just for context. My Goal is to down all three EM Primals, and to get my WAR to iLvl90, so that I can concentrate on Coil and leveling up other classes. So once I clear the EM Primals once, I should be more or less done with them for awhile.

Ken

Honestly, if you've beaten Twin & EX primals, it really is just a personal thing at that point. BiS isn't always Allagan anyway, but I mean if I stop looking for the pieces then I lose a good portion of the reason I'm even playing.

At this point I do it real casual like, but I still enjoy the coil runs if only because my group is hilarious.

I suppose, but having personal goals dependent on RNG (that you can't manipulate) still stings a bit.

Some class BiS do rely a decent bit on Allagan though, so mainly speaking about those.

For me, I'm pretty bored of trying to get gear when the game doesn't want me to so I've cut down on actual playtime quite a bit recently.

Torquill

The thing is that Myth gear is supposed to fill in for that. It actually doesn't because of the different stats, but it seems to be the intention.
It actually does since there is nothing in the game that requires Best in Slot 90 over any old 90. Skill is way more important. Caring about BiS in this game is really an OCD person problem with MAYBE the rare exception.

Ken

It actually does since there is nothing in the game that requires Best in Slot 90 over any old 90. Skill is way more important. Caring about BiS in this game is really an OCD person problem with MAYBE the rare exception.

Eh, aesthetics is a decent reason too. Those BLM sausage pants are pretty unappealing.

At this point though the argument is getting into silly territory of telling people what they should and shouldn't go after.

Carlisle

http://neogaf.guildwork.com/recruitment

Officers/leaders are at the bottom of the page ^

So I'm a bit confused about how to join the guildwork site. I'm a member of the FC in the game, and on the site it says:

If you are already a member of this Free Company, head over to the Members page and follow the instructions to link your character. Once linked, the site can automatically add you as a member based on your Free Company affiliation. You do not need to complete this application.

Where's this "Members" page? Is it on the gaf guildwork site, or am I totally missing something?

Torquill

Eh, aesthetics is a decent reason too. Those BLM sausage pants are pretty unappealing.

At this point though the argument is getting into silly territory of telling people what they should and shouldn't go after.
Agreed on both counts :p.
If the visuals on DRG myth and Allagan gear were switched I'd be way more angsty. I love my full TRON goon (and it looks way more Allagan than Allagan IMHO. What's so Allagan about poo brown?)

Aeana

I haven't done those quests yet because people have been hyping them up, but I feel like whenever I am on I can't really pay attention to the dialog because other stuff is always going on. Hopefully soon I'll get a moment to sit and read and enjoy them, and I hope I like them as much as everyone else!

So I'm a bit confused about how to join the guildwork site. I'm a member of the FC in the game, and on the site it says:

Where's this "Members" page? Is it on the gaf guildwork site, or am I totally missing something?

Oh. We had a few people's accounts that were compromised back in the beta/early launch days, and though it was in no way related what-so-ever, I hid the members page from non-members as a security measure anyway.

I'll update later tonight and post the instructions on the recruitment page too. In the mean time, you can submit an application via the recruitment page and once accepted you will have full access to the site. Just put in the note that you are already a FC member. You will still need to link your account for your character to show up in the roster and those instructions will be available on the members page once your application is accepted.

Carlisle

Oh. We had a few people's accounts that were compromised back in the beta/early launch days, and though it was in no way related what-so-ever, I hid the members page from non-members as a security measure anyway.

I'll update later tonight and post the instructions on the recruitment page too. In the mean time, you can submit an application via the recruitment page and once accepted you will have full access to the site. Just put in the note that you are already a FC member. You will still need to link your account for your character to show up in the roster and those instructions will be available on the members page once your application is accepted.

Sweet, thanks!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So what's up with this new battle system anyways? It's like I have unlimited TP.

Am I supposed to be doing combos all the time one after the other?

jiien

So what's up with this new battle system anyways? It's like I have unlimited TP.

It isn't as apparent early on, but extended boss battles, and AOE heavy phases or dungeons are very taxing on TP later on. Invigorate cross-classed from LNC is a must for any class that can get it.

And yeah, you should be attacking all the time.

studyguy

That lasts early on, but eventually you're doing so much that TP management is an active thing for some classes in longer battles.

Jayhawk

Getting a little burnt out running Garuda EM over, and over, and over, and over!

Off Tanking that fight feels fairly easy, (for the most part) Maining doesn't feel that bad either, I haven't quite mastered multi-tasking that many tasks at once, but having gotten down to under 20% as a main, I'd like to think I get at least a passing grade there.

Despite this, it always seems like somebody is lagging. Somebody gets excited and kills the Spiny, (I had to Tank LB3 twice in one fight yesterday to keep the party from wiping,) somebody isn't DPSing properly, or the Spiny decides to go back to one of the Tanks immediately after Voking, while I'm out of flash range, etc etc etc!

I'm not in any danger of quitting the game, but if something doesn't happen soon I might have to break from the game for a day or two, just to recover from the accumulated frustration.

Edit: Just for context. My Goal is to down all three EM Primals, and to get my WAR to iLvl90, so that I can concentrate on Coil and leveling up other classes. So once I clear the EM Primals once, I should be more or less done with them for awhile.

Some additional tips for multitasking as main-tank on Garuda extreme:

-Go to the party screen and set the other tank as the 2nd in your party list, so the number of Thermal Low stacks on him is easier to spot.
-Tomahawk/Shield Lob once or twice after Provoke on Spiny Plume in case the other tank activates a defensive cooldown and gets top enmity again.
-When the sisters pop and you have to tank Garuda plus a sister, focus target (Shift+F) one mob and main target the other so you can easily track Slipstream use of both mobs and Friction. I'll often focus target Garuda, and main target the sister to help with damage and get more hate on it with my combos.
-When Garuda and Suparna disappear to do their position switch, you need to reassign focus target.

I haven't done those quests yet because people have been hyping them up, but I feel like whenever I am on I can't really pay attention to the dialog because other stuff is always going on. Hopefully soon I'll get a moment to sit and read and enjoy them, and I hope I like them as much as everyone else!

The quests are really great but they are also extremely silly and pretty short. The teaser is nice though. Personally, I enjoyed them quite a bit and wish more characters and quests had this amount of personality in them.

Most people already answered the TP question. For combos, it depends on the class. Paladin combos are pretty basic while Monk and Dragoon rotations will have you dancing around the mob and managing a number of different cool downs. Check the tooltip on each ability in your bar and it will usually explain the benefit of activating a particular combo such as enhanced damage or a buff/debuff. Class mechanics are slowly introduced intentionally so that new players are not overwhelmed.

Combat will seem pretty boring for MMO veterans until you start to unlock jobs, the job specific abilities, and start running dungeons or doing other party based content. I was fine with the combat personally, but it got much better for me and many others post 30 and 50.

You really should follow my advice and start from level 1. The combat system is similar to WoW for the most part now. Your goal is to always be attacking now, to produce constant DPS or hate if you're a tank.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It isn't as apparent early on, but extended boss battles, and AOE heavy phases or dungeons are very taxing on TP later on. Invigorate cross-classed from LNC is a must for any class that can get it.

And yeah, you should be attacking all the time.

That lasts early on, but eventually you're doing so much that TP management is an active thing for some classes in longer battles.

I see... It sorta feels like back when 1.0 first came out. There was no auto attack and you had to input every single "normal" attack (back then stuff like heavy swing and heavy thrust were normal attacks) individually. But then, the devs changed it to auto attack, because why make the player keep pressing buttons like that if they're gonna be doing it anyway.

And now....I'm pressing buttons again constantly and doing combos all the time, as if my weapon skills are my normal attacks again.

So you guys are saying that my TP will be drained if I keep doing combos? I did the AF armor quest for WAR, and was doing heavy > maim > storms path constantly, and I never got an out of TP message. The only time I couldn't do a weapon skill was when I was running away out of the range of the boss' AOE attacks, and was spamming the WS Tomahawk at range.

I guess what I'm saying is I kinda miss the feeling that weaponskills used to be real heavy hitters, kinda like your limit break. Now they seem like regular attacks.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Most people already answered the TP question. For combos, it depends on the class. Paladin combos are pretty basic while Monk and Dragoon rotations will have you dancing around the mob and managing a number of different cool downs. Check the tooltip on each ability in your bar and it will usually explain the benefit of activating a particular combo such as enhanced damage or a buff/debuff. Class mechanics are slowly introduced intentionally so that new players are not overwhelmed.

Combat will seem pretty boring for MMO veterans until you start to unlock jobs, the job specific abilities, and start running dungeons or doing other party based content. I was fine with the combat personally, but it got much better for me and many others post 30 and 50.
I started 2.0 with my character having level 50s already and already had access to all my skills. I'm trying to get used to the changes in the battle system from 1.0. I was reading the descriptions of all the skills, and was playing around with maximizing my DPS on single targets.

I was just kind of wondering if I'm supposed to be this spammy in my button presses.

You really should follow my advice and start from level 1. The combat system is similar to WoW for the most part now.
I never played WoW, so I can't really relate to that.

our goal is to always be attacking now, to produce constant DPS or hate if you're a tank.
I did the same thing for my DPS classes and tank classes in FF14 1.0 too, though. It seems like now I'm pressing more buttons to do the same thing as before.

studyguy

I see... It sorta feels like back when 1.0 first came out. There was no auto attack and you had to input every single "normal" attack (back then stuff like heavy swing and heavy thrust were normal attacks) individually. But then, the devs changed it to auto attack, because why make the player keep pressing buttons like that if they're gonna be doing it anyway.

Less so like 1.0 from the start, stamina itself drained far, far faster than TP does now and it was required to do basically any action. You still auto attack now ala 1.23, though similar to 1.0 of old, the bulk of your damage will come from skills.

Largest departure of course is that TP works in the complete opposite way it did in 1.0. Instead of storing it, it slowly burns down. Granted attacks don't seem like they're as heavy hitting anymore, but you'll still be pulling numbers equal to 1.0/1.23 if only much, much faster. I too had issues adjusting initially as it all felt too quick and lacked the impact of 1.0, but eventually you adjust to the speed and can see the big hits just as you would before. For tanks and DPS, the larger departure was the handling of a much larger groups of enemies than before. Most of 1.0/1.23 dealt with focusing on a single targets. Even in groups the game had poor group mob management even with a WAR. ARR has much more seamless methods for handling large groups.

Ken

So you guys are saying that my TP will be drained if I keep doing combos?

Really depends on the job.

For tanks, it gets kind of bad in prolonged fights as PLD. WAR has free Inner Beasts to fill so TP drain isn't as severe.

On melee DPS, MNKs usually have it rough because of skill speed and Greased Lightning.

WolvenOne

Some additional tips for multitasking as main-tank on Garuda extreme:

-Go to the party screen and set the other tank as the 2nd in your party list, so the number of Thermal Low stacks on him is easier to spot.
-Tomahawk/Shield Lob once or twice after Provoke on Spiny Plume in case the other tank activates a defensive cooldown and gets top enmity again.
-When the sisters pop and you have to tank Garuda plus a sister, focus target (Shift+F) one mob and main target the other so you can easily track Slipstream use of both mobs and Friction. I'll often focus target Garuda, and main target the sister to help with damage and get more hate on it with my combos.
-When Garuda and Suparna disappear to do their position switch, you need to reassign focus target.

I really should learn how to re-order the party list, yeah. Always having the other Tank at 2 always would help with those kind of debut stacks.

Using Tomo after Voke is a good idea. I tend to be afraid that I'll break the Spiny, but I suppose there should not be much danger of that so long as it's health isn't too low.

I've got a good Macro for Focus Targeting on the controller, it works fairly well. I don't usually bother if I'm the Off Tank, but maybe I should.

A bigger problem I'm having is that the Macro I created for Mitigating double wicked wheels seems to frequently fail in battle. A slightly smaller problem is that occasionally I'll see single wicked wheels or random Crites being fired at me, in a semi random fashion. That isn't useually a problem since I have absurd hp, but in parties where the DPS are taking too much damage I can't always expect my HP to be entirely topped off.

tenchir

Really depends on the job.

For tanks, it gets kind of bad in prolonged fights as PLD. WAR has free Inner Beasts to fill so TP drain isn't as severe.

On melee DPS, MNKs usually have it rough because of skill speed and Greased Lightning.

It's not that bad for PLD if you use Flash before a massive attack such as Mountain Buster in an attempt to dodge it or Stone Skin for mitigation. The casting time really helps to replenished TPs. There is a low chance of losing hate with the boosted enmity for Shield Oath when you cast spells. Tank swapping for harder boss fights doesn't make TPs and issue at all,

studyguy

I really should learn how to re-order the party list, yeah. Always having the other Tank at 2 always would help with those kind of debut stacks.

Using Tomo after Voke is a good idea. I tend to be afraid that I'll break the Spiny, but I suppose there should not be much danger of that so long as it's health isn't too low.

I've got a good Macro for Focus Targeting on the controller, it works fairly well. I don't usually bother if I'm the Off Tank, but maybe I should.

A bigger problem I'm having is that the Macro I created for Mitigating double wicked wheels seems to frequently fail in battle. A slightly smaller problem is that occasionally I'll see single wicked wheels or random Crites being fired at me, in a semi random fashion. That isn't useually a problem since I have absurd hp, but in parties where the DPS are taking too much damage I can't always expect my HP to be entirely topped off.

My biggest problem with Garuda anything are those rare instances where Garuda or her sister suddenly don't appear. It's the strangest thing after a jump to not have the monster show up on your screen. Granted I've had it happen on extremely rare occasions, but in those cases it's always annoying as hell. Like IS SHE STILL ON ME? I'M JUST GOING TO FLASH OR SOMETHING AND EAT THESE SLIPSTREAMS THANKS!

Ken

It's not that bad for PLD if you use Flash before a massive attack such as Mountain Buster in an attempt to dodge it or Stone Skin for mitigation. The casting time really helps to replenished TPs. There is a low chance of losing hate with the boosted enmity for Shield Oath when you cast spells. Tank swapping for harder boss fights doesn't make TPs and issue at all,

Oh yeah, you're right.

studyguy

Shield Swipe once you have consolidated enmity also helps to buffer TP. Granted it won't help you nearly as much if you're already TP starved, but using it during or between full combos gives you back a neat little portion of TP per tick vs a full combo alone. Though if you're already at like 10TP, then Flash/Circle of Scorn/Spirits is basically it. Things like Twin and nonswap long battles are the only times that it really matters though as others have mentioned. Thankfully SE made EXs more involved than stand in this one spot for the next 12m

KP8wXYZ.png

WolvenOne

My biggest problem with Garuda anything are those rare instances where Garuda or her sister suddenly don't appear. It's the strangest thing after a jump to not have the monster show up on your screen. Granted I've had it happen on extremely rare occasions, but in those cases it's always annoying as hell. Like IS SHE STILL ON ME? I'M JUST GOING TO FLASH OR SOMETHING AND EAT THESE SLIPSTREAMS THANKS!

That happened yesterday to somebody playing on PS3. I really hope they address that eventually. XD

I started 2.0 with my character having level 50s already and already had access to all my skills. I'm trying to get used to the changes in the battle system from 1.0. I was reading the descriptions of all the skills, and was playing around with maximizing my DPS on single targets.

I was just kind of wondering if I'm supposed to be this spammy in my button presses.

I never played WoW, so I can't really relate to that.

I did the same thing for my DPS classes and tank classes in FF14 1.0 too, though. It seems like now I'm pressing more buttons to do the same thing as before.

In general you want to be doing something on every global cooldown. If you're fighting single monsters by yourself its unlikely you'll ever run out of TP. TP only becomes a problem using AE weaponskills or on longer fights.

WolvenOne

When it happened with my FC and I was on vent, it was like, be my eyes, guys! What is she doing now!

swdel%252Bscene%252Byoda%252Btraining.jpg

Heh, I imagine that worked wonderfully. XD

Anyhow, I'm going to be honest. At this point, I'm mainly going after the EM Primals as a source of vindication. I know I'm still pretty new to MMO's, but I'd still like tangible undeniable proof that I'm improving at a fairly decent rate.

Yeah, I know, that's probably the worst reason to try so hard to beat this set of bosses. It means I'm going to go into the fights more emotionally invested than I should be, which creates problems. Regardless, this is what's motivating me right now, and this is also the reason I probably won't be able to take a significant break until I get Garuda down. XD

Teletraan1

Banned
This CT loot system is demoralizing. You could myth cap per week easily and never see an item you want or even worse you lose the item you want non stop for 2 weeks strait. I have lost the same item now 4x on far too many runs for this to be considered enjoyable.

Sorian

Banned
This CT loot system is demoralizing. You could myth cap per week easily and never see an item you want or even worse you lose the item you want non stop for 2 weeks strait. I have lost the same item now 4x on far too many runs for this to be considered enjoyable.

Make your own group and bar others who could roll on the item you want from joining (assuming you are dps), dickish? sure but whatever, CT is faceroll easy and everyone is doing it so its not like you are barring people with no other option.

studyguy

I just roll with my FC as a tank, do as little as humanly possible. Swap out of i90 gear once KB. No tank, no thanks, not here. Aside from the moments where I have to tank, I'd rather just keep sword oath on and whack a few things.

desu

Make your own group and bar others who could roll on the item you want from joining (assuming you are dps), dickish? sure but whatever, CT is faceroll easy and everyone is doing it so its not like you are barring people with no other option.

Does not change that the loot system sucks. You can do it 20 times a week and not get the single piece you want. Also when you finally give up and get something else, the piece you want will drop for sure next time. I only do CT when people in my FC want to do it, only to help them. Otherwise I think CT is an okay dungeon with bullshit loot rules that do everything not to even bother playing it.

Finally decided to dive in on this game however I'm just wondering how is the healing in this game?
I used to main a priest on wow and I'm not sure where to go with this game, thinking either an archer as it sounds like dps/support once you level it in to a Bard or a Conjurer going in to a White Mage to become a full on healer.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So I can't affix materia to AF armor? Are all the unique end game armors like that? If so, what the use of materia anymore?

Well Materia is for the crafted ilvl70 gear sets mostly or Crafting/Gathering

Materia is pretty pointless in this game

Sorian

Banned
Does not change that the loot system sucks. You can do it 20 times a week and not get the single piece you want. Also when you finally give up and get something else, the piece you want will drop for sure next time. I only do CT when people in my FC want to do it, only to help them. Otherwise I think CT is an okay dungeon with bullshit loot rules that do everything not to even bother playing it.

The carrot on the stick has no point if its easy to grab. Be happy that they didn't make it like coil and you only get one shot a week at the piece you want.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well Materia is for the crafted ilvl70 gear sets mostly or Crafting/Gathering

Materia is pretty pointless in this game

So there's not much point in equipping suboptimal gear in order to gain spiritbond anymore?

Too bad about materia, when it first was released it was a really neat mechanic that made crafters have more relevance.

So I can't affix materia to AF armor? Are all the unique end game armors like that? If so, what the use of materia anymore?

Materia isn't all that useful in ARR. Aside from not being able to attach it to most things that people would want to use there are now individual caps on stats for each item. In most cases (all?) the primary stat of a crafted item is already capped when you create an HQ item. So if I made a piece of HQ tanking gear I would not be able to attach any vitality to it.

Sorian

Banned
So there's not much point in equipping suboptimal gear in order to gain spiritbond anymore?

Too bad about materia, when it first was released it was a really neat mechanic that made crafters have more relevance.

There was more reason before 2.1 because that gear is what you would use to springboard yourself into the very end game content but now that CT is up with 2.1, the gear from there is a better buffer zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom