• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Well Materia is for the crafted ilvl70 gear sets mostly or Crafting/Gathering

Materia is pretty pointless in this game

Yeah, okay idea, but they need to have Materia add something more than just, basic stats. I'm not sure what benefits it should add though. Being able to stack stats on any set would potentially be game breaking, but the same is true of any other benefit I can think of.

The only thing I can think of is, maybe limiting slots to 1 per item, and making it a lot easier to freely swap Materia. It'd heavily blunt the ability to stat-stack, but would allow you to customize equipment further for specific fights. Toss in a couple pieces of ACC materia for Coil, some Earth Mit materia for Titan, etc.

I think, that'd involved some fairly heavy reworking of things though. >_>;;

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Materia isn't all that useful in ARR. Aside from not being able to attach it to most things that people would want to use there are now individual caps on stats for each item. In most cases (all?) the primary stat of a crafted item is already capped when you create an HQ item. So if I made a piece of HQ tanking gear I would not be able to attach any vitality to it.

There was more reason before 2.1 because that gear is what you would use to springboard yourself into the very end game content but now that CT is up with 2.1, the gear from there is a better buffer zone.

I see....seems like they need to rework the system to make it more relevant again. I also liked how it gave exp earned at level 50 a use, so that it didn't seem like it was going to waste.

At least I don't have to wear relatively crap gear anymore to in order to farm materia.

Cryst

In CT? Absolutely. I'd rather get my myth/item and gtfo asap.

There's tanking in CT? :p

Trash: 3 out of 6 tanks do bad DPS, or fight for hate just to have something to do
Bone Dragon: 5 out of 6 tanks stand around for 95% of the fight

Atomos: 3 out of 6 tanks stand around doing bad DPS. Sometimes I alternate pulls with the other tank so I don't die from boredom.
Thanatos: 5 out of 6 tanks ostensibly take care of Nemeses. In reality, this never happens, so I would say 5 out of 6 tanks stand around laughing at healers trying to kite them.

Allagan Bomb: 3 out of 6 tanks stand around doing bad DPS.
King Behemoth: 4 out of 6 tanks take a nap.

Acheron: 5 out of 6 tanks doing bad DPS while praying for a clean kill so they can get out of this place sooner.

Augh, I just made your point, and myself very sad.

WolvenOne

There's tanking in CT? :p

Trash: 3 out of 6 tanks do bad DPS, or fight for hate just to have something to do
Bone Dragon: 5 out of 6 tanks stand around for 95% of the fight

Atomos: 3 out of 6 tanks stand around doing bad DPS. Sometimes I alternate pulls with the other tank so I don't die from boredom.
Thanatos: 5 out of 6 tanks ostensibly take care of Nemeses. In reality, this never happens, so I would say 5 out of 6 tanks stand around laughing at healers trying to kite them.

Allagan Bomb: 3 out of 6 tanks stand around doing bad DPS.
King Behemoth: 4 out of 6 tanks take a nap.

Acheron: 5 out of 6 tanks doing bad DPS while praying for a clean kill so they can get out of this place sooner.

Augh, I just made your point, and myself very sad.

Yeah, it does feel like some of the extra Tanking roles were clumsily tacked onto many of those fight. I actually enjoy CT, but it feels like I have to either fight for the fun roles, or be teamed with a lot of lazy Tanks. I almost wish they could rework it into a 16 Man raid, because I think it'd probably be more enjoyable like that.

Edit: Or, maybe change the standard party configuration to only include one Tank per eight person team, or something, I dunno.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Other thoughts:

I was completing the WAR AF questline last night, using the gear that I had carried over from 1.0. It was a full set of red cobalt armor which required a lot of expensive materials to make. They were also all multi melded, so it many trials to first farm up enough materia and gear to cover meld fails and gear loss. There was a lot of effort put into that, and it was, I guess a fairly interesting and satisfying experience.

The usual route was mass genocide of beastmen at their fortresses, which got us some good spiritbond, rare gear drops now and then, crafting mats, and seals for primal fights, which was all in all a pretty productive activity.

So last night, I completed the AF WAR quests and in a span of a couple hours, got gear that blew away all my previous armor completely, just like that.

I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

kiryogi

Banned
For the most part, most of our 1.x gear isn't as good as it used to be. That and only the high end game 1.x stuff carried over ok IE Vanya/Darklight. They went up a tier in 1.x after your cobalt when you quit Renta D:

Other thoughts:

I was completing the WAR AF questline last night, using the gear that I had carried over from 1.0. It was a full set of red cobalt armor which required a lot of expensive materials to make. They were also all multi melded, so it many trials to first farm up enough materia and gear to cover meld fails and gear loss. There was a lot of effort put into that, and it was, I guess a fairly interesting and satisfying experience.

The usual route was mass genocide of beastmen at their fortresses, which got us some good spiritbond, rare gear drops now and then, crafting mats, and seals for primal fights, which was all in all a pretty productive activity.

So last night, I completed the AF WAR quests and in a span of a couple hours, got gear that blew away all my previous armor completely, just like that.

I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

It blows it away sorta. . .It's bare minimal for Endgame at this point.

What you can do is trade in that melded stuff :provided you didnt change over the cracked materia already: for tokens for some i70 gear :Darklight:

Cryst

Yeah, okay idea, but they need to have Materia add something more than just, basic stats. I'm not sure what benefits it should add though. Being able to stack stats on any set would potentially be game breaking, but the same is true of any other benefit I can think of.

The only thing I can think of is, maybe limiting slots to 1 per item, and making it a lot easier to freely swap Materia. It'd heavily blunt the ability to stat-stack, but would allow you to customize equipment further for specific fights. Toss in a couple pieces of ACC materia for Coil, some Earth Mit materia for Titan, etc.

I think, that'd involved some fairly heavy reworking of things though. >_>;;

1. Take the item budget of raid gear, subtract stats arbitrarily to create budget deficit, add materia slots to gear, make highest level materia only drop from raiding trash at very low rates.

Materia is now useful...when stat budget is designed to use it. Still uninteresting.

2. Allow materia to modify or add to existing abilities. +1 second to stun duration, Sprint is free. Make seldomly used abilities do interesting things.

Materia is now interesting, but people will always go for straight DPS improvements, so it becomes boring after 1 week.

(I realize I'm just describing WoW's gem and glyph system, :p)

EDIT: Combination of both, individual materia gives you stats, certain color combinations give you additional or altered abilities. (I not-so-secretly want Trails in the Sky's slot system into my MMO!)

dramatis

Level arcanist! Get petz

Admittedly the game is probably very easy for people coming from 1.0, with less effort needed to get something good. I'd say the ease may bother some people or be okay for others.

Hope you enjoyed your weekend even if you were confused.

Teletraan1

Banned
Another thing I dont get is that everyone has all these macro's with <se.x> every 2 seconds pumping into chat and dinging like a slot machine. I have gotten to the point I just tune this out and now no message is relevant to me and I ignore them all. This is kind of what lead me to problems earlier on that Titan run where someone was actually trying to get my attention in chat but I just had it tuned out. Someone spamming beeps for 10 minutes and then someone else spamming beeps to get my attention doesn't really work.

Ken

Another thing I dont get is that everyone has all these macro's with <se.x> every 2 seconds pumping into chat and dinging like a slot machine. I have gotten to the point I just tune this out and now no message is relevant to me and I ignore them all. This is kind of what lead me to problems earlier on that Titan run where someone was actually trying to get my attention in chat but I just had it tuned out. Someone spamming beeps for 10 minutes and then someone else spamming beeps to get my attention doesn't really work.

Then tune it all out and do your job well and no one will need to get your attention for anything.

Teletraan1

Banned
Then tune it all out and do your job well and no one will need to get your attention for anything.

Fair enough. It just gets annoying to hear, especially when played through a home theater setup. I actually turned down sound effects to almost nothing as a result of these annoying macros.

Jayhawk

Now that I've started to collect DPS accessories for my MNK, I wonder how well I can gear my PLD towards DPS for things like being an offtank in CT. I would have to run parses to tell the difference. Are there any left-side, ilvl70+ gear that is for 'Disciples of War'? I'm at work right now and my memory is telling me Allagan and Myth pieces for the left side are job-specific.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

My favorites are the creative "Reviving XXX <se.x>" type macros. They alert the whole party to the shamfur dispray. haha

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Now that I've started to collect DPS accessories for my MNK, I wonder how well I can gear my PLD towards DPS for things like being an offtank in CT. I would have to run parses to tell the difference. Are there any left-side, ilvl70+ gear that is for 'Disciples of War'? I'm at work right now and my memory is telling me Allagan and Myth pieces for the left side are job-specific.

Class specific is not as broad as deciples of war, but you can wear the DRG pieces on LNC, and WAR/PLD on MRD/GLD, etc...

Allegan gear is class specific
Myth gear is job specific.
PVP gear is class specific.
CT gear is class specific

I think that pretty much covers them all.

scosher

I used to be a big critic of the combat system in beta, and found the 2.5 second GCD painfully slow coming from WoW, Guild Wars 2, Rift, Dragon Nest, etc.

But I've since changed my tune after having multiple 50's. I think the combat really starts to blossom when you get more and more off-GCD instant abilities. Since these still have a short 0.5 second animation lock, you need to weave these in between your main abilities. The 2.5 second GCD then begins to feel more restrictive and the combat consequently becomes more fast-paced. The first 30 levels are still extremely slow and boring though.

In a future expansion, I'd still like to see some major improvements to the battle systems:

1) More class customization (skill trees, talent builds, customized traits, etc.)
2) More gear customization (materia melding on dungeon gear, more unique secondary stats than just crit, det, accuracy, spellspeed)
3) More resource management. TP/MP is too simple and boring compared to what most MMO's have nowadays. Square should take a look at Rift for some great ideas. TP is essentially just a really large mana pool, and using an Invigorate to replenish it should hardly be deemed "managing resources." Even Vanilla WoW had Rage for warriors and an Energy pool for rogues, which really diversified the gameplay for its two melee classes. One of the reasons I enjoy SMN more than other jobs (besides loving DoT/pet classes) is because Aetherflow is essentially another resource mechanic to manage, albeit a very simplified one. More classes need something else than just a large TP or MP pool.

Jomjom

Banned
I would like it if they made the materia system sort of like the old enchanting system used in older MMOs (might also be in some new ones, I haven't played every MMO on the market). Basically make it so materia of one type can be stacked, say to 7 or 10, but with each one it gets progressively harder and there is an increasing chance that your materia or even the item itself will get destroyed.

Basically make it so that it would be very, very difficult to have a 10x parry materia melded weapon or whatever. Also, raise the crafting level to 100 with the path from 80 to 100 to be EXTREMELY expensive, like how it was in FFXI. The crafters with 100 would have the best chance of helping people meld to 10x. The crafters would get paid well to try the melds, while the owner of the 10x weapon or armor would have a significantly better item than the base one found in dungeons or whatever.

Sophia

I still don't even fully understand the purpose of the Materia system. It's like a gem system that's not even present on every piece of gear. :\

Why not have a ranged dps guard the towers in the KB fight so tanks can protect healers from stuff? Only takes a few seconds to click a button and I know as SMN, my dps will be quite fine from there, especially in a tower close to KB.

Alucrid

Banned
Why not have a ranged dps guard the towers in the KB fight so tanks can protect healers from stuff? Only takes a few seconds to click a button and I know as SMN, my dps will be quite fine from there, especially in a tower close to KB.

from what stuff? i don't think i can tank stupid.

Sophia

There's nothing for other tanks to do. The fight only requires two.

Ken

If the Iron Giant is tanked properly, which only takes 1 tank, then healers shouldn't need protection from anything.

Resilient

So I think I am done at this point, I can't be bothered logging in just to cap myth so I can get a higher iLvl so I can join a group for Garuda EM. Full DL with some CT gear, Relic + 1 and 2 pieces of Myth (if I capped this week I can make it 4), but iLVL 78 still isn't enough for a group to attempt Garuda more than twice. So many people from the FC have been there to help (Zan, Izumi, Felix, Lex, and some others) but it always ends with the party disbanding. Is it shitty that I have to wait a few weeks for PF to be less snobby? There were a few fun groups that I found but one bad apple ruins the fun for everybody.

Factor in that I'm not in a static Coil, I really don't have much reason to play at the moment. Two of my IRL friends have bailed for the time being and I haven't heard from Prellis for a few days. Sad cause I was having a lot of fun :<

There's a massive gap between the people that started from Day 1, and most who joined thereafter. It's not a gap present in the FC so much, more in the community as a whole.

MechaX

After a rather crazy day at work, downing Garuda EX twice on a random Party Finder group plus getting my Vortex Ring made this day entirely worth it.

So I think I am done at this point, I can't be bothered logging in just to cap myth so I can get a higher iLvl so I can join a group for Garuda EM. Full DL with some CT gear, Relic + 1 and 2 pieces of Myth (if I capped this week I can make it 4), but iLVL 78 still isn't enough for a group to attempt Garuda more than twice. So many people from the FC have been there to help (Zan, Izumi, Felix, Lex, and some others) but it always ends with the party disbanding. Is it shitty that I have to wait a few weeks for PF to be less snobby? There were a few fun groups that I found but one bad apple ruins the fun for everybody..

If you're on now, check PF; there's this one group that I was in that's pretty good, and they don't have bad attitudes either.

Resilient

After a rather crazy day at work, downing Garuda EX twice on a random Party Finder group plus getting my Vortex Ring made this day entirely worth it.

If you're on now, check PF; there's this one group that I was in that's pretty good, and they don't have bad attitudes either.

Nah I can't, I'm at work. Besides, once I clear Garuda I'm gonna have to deal with Titan and Ifrit after, anyway.

Aeana

Yayy.

ff14-schallagan.png

Allagan SCH book get.

And here's the one-shot that Alucrid is talking about above: http://www.twitch.tv/aeana/c/3545477
I'm glad I was able to stream again and got it on film.

Stuart444

I finally got my job today, Dragoon. In the process, I also learned that 1. Phlebotomize is awesome and 2. Jumping is fun :D.

I've also just gotten to the the story mission to do the Manor dungeon. I'd have done that tonight but I'm just too tired now.

Might also finish up the rank 3 hunting log stuff as well before I do the dungeon tomorrow. Can't hurt anyway.

So... When do I get cool Dragoon looking armour? :p

And here's the one-shot that Alucrid is talking about above: http://www.twitch.tv/aeana/c/3545477
I'm glad I was able to stream again and got it on film.

Nice vid, grats on the one-shot then.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It blows it away sorta. . .It's bare minimal for Endgame at this point.
Maybe I just don't know too much yet about the new stuff in 2.0, but it seems like the main way to gear up is through completing dungeons and trading in currency now.

I like how there used to be a large contribution from crafters before for endgame gear. It made the crafting classes more relevant and important, and involved in the end game economy.

For example, we'd make a party of adventurers, go hunt a NM, bring back crafting drops, and have the crafters make high level gear. It was a nice cycle.

Level arcanist! Get petz

Admittedly the game is probably very easy for people coming from 1.0, with less effort needed to get something good. I'd say the ease may bother some people or be okay for others.

Hope you enjoyed your weekend even if you were confused.

Yes, I did get that feeling that the game had become "easier", in a sense. For example, how much faster leveling up has become, and how you don't even really need to know what you're doing in order to get to level 50.

My personal gaming profile is one who prefers challenge. Challenge derived from personal skill, specifically. Which is why challenge that is reliant too much on stuff like gear checks doesn't have as much as an appeal to me.

I did have a fun weekend, and thanks again for showing me around ^^

I actually did resub for a month so I could try out more things. Damn game quit out on me on midnight right in the middle of my last AF quest, and I really wanted to see how it ended. Well played, SE, well played :p

Teknoman

Skill checks come in after certain dungeons (Brayflox's Longstop). Its more about learning patterns and having reflexes in the case of bosses these days.

I do miss putting together parties to hunt down specific monsters, but on the other hand I really like exploring dungeons with purpose and actual bosses. I thought treasure hunts would have brought that back, but I havent gotten around to giving those a shot yet.

Flopfan

I have a question ; can I upgrade to the PS3 CE using a physical copy? I know you can upgrade using the digital version for 20$ but since it's just for the in game items I figured why not buy the CE and get the physical items as well.

Sophia

Skill checks come in after certain dungeons (Brayflox's Longstop). Its more about learning patterns and having reflexes in the case of bosses these days.

I do miss putting together parties to hunt down specific monsters, but on the other hand I really like exploring dungeons with purpose and actual bosses. I thought treasure hunts would have brought that back, but I havent gotten around to giving those a shot yet.

They kinda do and they kinda don't. Treasure hunts are pretty cool, but they're a bit limiting right now. Plus they're all too easy. You can four man a map meant for eight.

I would love to see the Hunting Logs, Levemetes, and Treasure Hunts expanded to accommodate an alternative form of leveling to dungeons, quests, and FATEs.

jiien

One day, Tiv's fury will consume us all in an orgy of terror and destruction. Because she is actually Cthulhu and she has been hiding in that for all this time, waiting for the moment of her return.

On a more serious note, if no one knew, your facial expression does actually change to an angrier face when you unsheathe your weapon. Battle-ready!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
New Achievement Get!

3vJHCfn.jpg

MKJWUx1.jpg

Only 53 Provision items away from getting Ring (sucks you can only turn in 3 everyday)

Finally got a static Coil Group again, won Heavy Allagan Legs + Striking boots (free lot)
Lost roll on Allagan Bracelets of Fending =/

Practiced Turn 5 Twin, got to Phase 2, learning Conflargation, nice for a group who just started fresh

JVIDICAN

Just got this last week for $22 on green man gaming. I haven't really followed the game since the 1.0 release disaster, but man I'm enjoying ARR. This is the fist MMO I've been able to actually get into. Gorgeous graphically, addicting and challenging game play, and a awesome world and variety of locales. Currently at level 23 as a Gladiator and aiming for the Paladin job class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom