• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Didn't you get the tank legs last month already?

Was Feet (Turn 1)

Had to buy PLD Myth legs (they're BIS), will use the Heavy Legs on WAR, saves me Myth to burn on WAR for awhile, now my 3rd Alt class WAR is higher ilvl than my BLM =/

WAR @ilvl78, BLM @ilvl77, at least Casting Gear is next to be slotted for me, so Myth and Allagan gear to shuffle in there (maybe a few extra DRG pieces, cause they always drop in Coil, 49 DRG at the moment)

Ken

Was Feet (Turn 1)

Had to buy PLD Myth legs (they're BIS), will use the Heavy Legs on WAR, saves me Myth to burn on WAR for awhile, now my 3rd Alt class WAR is higher ilvl than my BLM =/

WAR @ilvl78, BLM @ilvl77, at least Casting Gear is next to be slotted for me, so Myth and Allagan gear to shuffle in there (maybe a few extra DRG pieces, cause they always drop in Coil, 49 DRG at the moment)

Ah, my bad. My brain is fried. Grats on the loot.

Man after days of losing to that fight, finally got a win on Garuda EX! Also won the vortex ring of casting as well...such a wall of a fight. Just felt like a load off my shoulders.

Of course now there is Titan EX lol

What, exactly, did they do to the graphics? They look slightly different, but I can't really put my finger on why.

The models and textures have heavy re-use, but they are used in an all-new engine with a new lighting and shadowing system provided by the Luminous team. That's probably what you're seeing, in addition to the new zones.

WolvenOne

I know that it's late, so a lot of people that follow the OT won't see this.

I also know that some of you will have heard this in game, but.

GARUDA EM DOWN!!!! TAKE THAT YOU DOWNY MOTHAHUBBARD!!!

Ml4JM5I.jpg

Got a taste of the master race just now. It's a shame I have to stick to PS3 for now!

Kenai

Finally decided to dive in on this game however I'm just wondering how is the healing in this game?
I used to main a priest on wow and I'm not sure where to go with this game, thinking either an archer as it sounds like dps/support once you level it in to a Bard or a Conjurer going in to a White Mage to become a full on healer.

There's not an official support type role in the game, but if there was bard would be the closest. Treat it as a DPS though.

WHM and SCH are the two healers. it's difficult to properly describe them in a short paragraph but I can give you an idea.

WHM: great bursty AoE healing with lots of range, some good "lasting" buff options like enhanced Protect/SS/constant regen, needs to watch threat or can steal it fairly easily with said burst. Easy to burn though mana as well if not careful. Some Holy Priest/Resto Druid similarities, definitely an all-purpose healer designed to deal well with pretty much any type of raid damage, and their big CDs are BIG (long timer though). Definitely the more traditional of the two, a very complete kit and plenty of spells to play with depending on your style.

SCH: heavy shield/mitigation options, great mana sustain and single target burst, good "short term" boosts like faerie abilities, low AoE burst healing/range and pet management can suck til you learn how the AI works (and then it can still be a chore). A little bit like Disc but go in expecting a lot less and more at once with that pet providing a large % of your healing and CDs. SCHs throwing mitigation after mitigation will allow raiders to live through big hits they wouldn't otherwise, and that faerie is not to be underestimated.

Both compliment each other very well in a raid and outside of a few very debatable and specific situations, one of each is always preferable to stacking both, which I like.

anyone else feel garuda ex is kinda hard on the tank? dodge this, take care of spiny, watch stacks, pop cooldowns here or get one hit killed, tank in this position etc. there is barely room for error for the rest of the raid, the mt has to shoulder everything. i wanted to strangle the guy that wanted to dump resp. on me for dmg on spiny as well. i think we wiped for 2hrs total on her before the kill. not that bad for an ex fight, but make sure to play with cool people only in the learning phase as mt.

anyone else feel garuda ex is kinda hard on the tank? dodge this, take care of spiny, watch stacks, pop cooldowns here or get one hit killed, tank in this position etc. there is barely room for error for the rest of the raid, the mt has to shoulder everything. i wanted to strangle the guy that wanted to dump resp. on me for dmg on spiny as well. i think we wiped for 2hrs total on her before the kill. not that bad for an ex fight, but make sure to play with cool people only in the learning phase as mt.

Yeah be sure to play with cool/patient people on a fight with such crippling error on behalf of MT/OT mechanics.

Is the hardest tank of the game so far for me. (not including T5, since I barely did T5, and Ifrit Ex).

Is specially annyoing because ppl won't give you the minimum room for error.

Garuda fights were always the most engaging for me as tank. The normal fight was the only encounter in the entire main story part of game that I regularly used the tank LB on to survive the Aerial Blast, The Hard mode requires two tanks that know at least something about playing their job, and the Extreme has us juggling the Spiny, the sisters, and swaps between them.

Sorian

Banned

Sorry to burst your bubble but tank does need to have responsibility on damaging spiny too. DPS has to be on sisters and garuda all the time unless you want the fight to last even longer which, in turn, means you have more opportunity to mess up.

I know a certain dps that loves to get hit by WWs that may think its harder on melee dps.

studyguy

Garuda is pretty easy when you condense your role as a tank to the role of MT or OT. Just takes a partner who you can 100% confide in.
Both are busier than most classes, but even then, it's not terrible. Just focus a target, provoke a spiney every now and then and pop a CD after friction. Beats the hell out of HM Titan where you just stand there and eat damage.

Mupod

oh thank god there's not another tier to grind above friendly. I'd have my goobbue today if I had actually started the rep stuff on day 1.

Mairu

He probably means another currency that lets you spend it on Coil gear, based off his latter post of not ever seeing certain Coil drops. I kind of agree with him as I have no issues with circumventing RNG. Maybe make a new set of gear that has the same stats as Allagan but different looks that you can redeem with Coilbux in case you offended RNG somewhere in life. Different stats would work too I guess, but I'll not doubt SE's abilities to make more strange gear with Breakblade levels of stat-distribution (it would also make the whole thing redundant haha...).

Yep! Just gets frustrating when we've been doing coil for months and get almost the same loot every week. There's a bunch of items that we've never seen at all and other items that are rotting because no one even wants it as an alternate.

Of course, it really doesn't matter since yes, we've beaten all the content so it's not like any of these upgrades are "needed" but the RNG can get fairly irritating.

It's certainly stacked against melee dps, I don't even like having them in the group because they automatically make the overall dps for the fight lower.

Sounds like the general description for every fight ever. You take us for our limit break , and because range players are general bad at the game, what with not having to play it on hard mode.

Sorian

Banned
oh thank god there's not another tier to grind above friendly. I'd have my goobbue today if I had actually started the rep stuff on day 1.

I don't think it was ever predicted there would be another tier, I've been toting in FC chat the last couple days how many more dys I have till max amaljaa rep. (Tomorrow)

Sounds like the general description for every fight ever. You take us for our limit break , and because range players are general bad at the game, what with not having to play it on hard mode.

Nah, melee is fine when you don't have to run through a minefield from one boss to another.

kiryogi

Banned
Maybe I just don't know too much yet about the new stuff in 2.0, but it seems like the main way to gear up is through completing dungeons and trading in currency now.

I like how there used to be a large contribution from crafters before for endgame gear. It made the crafting classes more relevant and important, and involved in the end game economy.

For example, we'd make a party of adventurers, go hunt a NM, bring back crafting drops, and have the crafters make high level gear. It was a nice cycle.

Yeah, crafters aren't as relevant now, at most, they can make i70 gear, which applies to mid endgame and high end crafters gear at most. Meanwhile anything above that are dungeon drops/token drops. Even at the end of 1.x crafters still has a massive role, but that's all changed. The only really important crafter now for end game might be the Culinary.

Teletraan1

Banned
All righty, a decision has been made about the housing situation for the Ultros Free Company. Members should go and read this post if they want to vote on where the house is built.

http://neogaf.guildwork.com/forum/posts/52d4d0b7c16e4d525a66910b

Please participate. We want as many people to have a say here as possible.

My only concern with this type of voting system is that you can have the second place city appear as second place on all the ballots and end up winning. They used this kind of weighting on Weekend Confirmed for their games of the year and a game that received less first place votes but a lot of second place votes ended up winning.

Aeana

My only concern with this type of voting system is that you can have the second place city appear as second place on all the ballots and end up winning. They used this kind of weighting on Weekend Confirmed for their games of the year and a game that received less first place votes but a lot of second place votes ended up winning.
Well, that is the entire point of a weighted voting system. It ensures that what the majority wants (perhaps the best wording here is "is happy with" instead of "wants") wins.

Teletraan1

Banned
Well, that is the entire point of a weighted voting system. It ensures that what the majority wants (perhaps the best wording here is "is happy with" instead of "wants") wins.

Oh I understand that and frankly I would be happy with any of the 3 cities winning, but I am absolutely horrified for the reaction if a certain city gets the most first place votes but ends up losing this vote to the second place city based on the mental gymnastics going on in that one thread.

Zidy

So my WAR is ilevel 76 about. I want to start doing Coil and have been watching a few videos on Turn 1 and 2 at the least. Any groups care to give me an educational run? I'd love to join a static but my schedule is quite busy that I'm not sure if I would be able to commit.

So my WAR is ilevel 76 about. I want to start doing Coil and have been watching a few videos on Turn 1 and 2 at the least. Any groups care to give me an educational run? I'd love to join a static but my schedule is quite busy that I'm not sure if I would be able to commit.

You could always try the Party Finder. I see groups often forming to do Turns 1 and 2, 4 and sometimes even 5. That's how I pug Coil as my second character since trying to juggle two Coil groups sounds too tough.

desu

The carrot on the stick has no point if its easy to grab. Be happy that they didn't make it like coil and you only get one shot a week at the piece you want.

Easy? I got i90 for the class I care ... making it like coil would save me a lot of time each week (and give me even less reason to touch the game, not that there is anything beyond Coil/Ex Primals anyway).

Zidy

You could always try the Party Finder. I see groups often forming to do Turns 1 and 2, 4 and sometimes even 5. That's how I pug Coil as my second character since trying to juggle two Coil groups sounds too tough.

I thought of doing that, but partying with some unknowns while I go through Coil for the first time is a bit iffy to me. I generally learn things fast and things usually go smoothly for me after I watch some video tutorials, but I am also aware of the scrutiny people put on tanks when they screw up. Whenever I'm with GAF groups, I feel comfortable and at home :)

Sorian

Banned
Easy? I got i90 for the class I care ... making it like coil would save me a lot of time each week (and give me even less reason to touch the game, not that there is anything beyond Coil/Ex Primals anyway).

Compared to coil? Yes, the loot grab is easier for CT. Theoretically, you can hunt down that one piece you want per week. You can't do that in coil. Idk what to tell you, don't like it, don't play? You're already seeing the game as a job instead of fun anyway it seems like. I was unaware someone was pointing a gun at your head and telling you that you had to do CT each week till you get your piece of loot, set your own rules if you want, run CT once, if you don't gte your drop that pretend you are locked out just like coil, easy.

MechaX

Garuda is pretty easy when you condense your role as a tank to the role of MT or OT. Just takes a partner who you can 100% confide in.
Both are busier than most classes, but even then, it's not terrible. Just focus a target, provoke a spiney every now and then and pop a CD after friction. Beats the hell out of HM Titan where you just stand there and eat damage.

Garuda EX isn't too bad provided that you have decent DPS and have two tanks that communicate with each other and can play in sync. And by communication, I don't mean "2 stacks take spin- *spiny explodes a second later* WHY DIDN'T YOU VOKE" scenarios. Luckily, PF groups are getting better at Garuda gradually as the time goes on. Unfortunately, the incentive and rewards is still not that great for tanks on the fight.

GraveRobberX

Finally No More Amal'Jaa Beastmen Quests!

JEVBqDy.jpg

HScsuyA.jpg

6yJHgAp.jpg

Gp8lRYE.jpg

Zoom in far enough when on mount, see things you shouldn't...
JcEJNWI.jpg

Now onto the Sylphs!

Valus

I just unlocked friendly for both tribes. So what you're saying is that after I grind these 520 or w/e rep points and achieve the trusted rank, I don't have to grind them anymore? It just says maxed or something?

Edit: Nvm GraveRobberX's pics answered my question.

Sorian

Banned
I just unlocked friendly for both tribes. So what you're saying is that after I grind these 520 or w/e rep points and achieve the trusted rank, I don't have to grind them anymore? It just says maxed or something?

Edit: Nvm GraveRobberX's pics answered my question.

Ready for the Ixal and whatever titan's beast tribe is called? :D

WolvenOne

Garuda EX isn't too bad provided that you have decent DPS and have two tanks that communicate with each other and can play in sync. And by communication, I don't mean "2 stacks take spin- *spiny explodes a second later* WHY DIDN'T YOU VOKE" scenarios. Luckily, PF groups are getting better at Garuda gradually as the time goes on. Unfortunately, the incentive and rewards is still not that great for tanks on the fight.

There's a lot that can go wrong though, and sometimes the fight just acts screwy.

For example. Last night, after awhile Chirada started to consistently aggro on the MT during Tornado phases, even if I was right next to its spawn point and immediately opened up with a butchers block.

Basically I had to repeatedly and consistently Voke when that started happening. Which meant that whenever the Spiny went to MT is have to cross tornadoes and repeatedly flash, or Voke, if it recharged in time.

We never did figure out what was causing it to do that. Felt like some sort of bug. XD

Torquill

It's certainly stacked against melee dps, I don't even like having them in the group because they automatically make the overall dps for the fight lower.
This is just completely wrong, esp after 2.1. And on Garuda? Are you kidding? You have to be out of range for like 1-3 seconds based on your skill at timing to avoid wicked wheel. And you only need to avoid one wicked wheel from Superna, and maybe one from Chirata if you can't burn her down before she uses it.

Any Melee DPS will still easilly out DPS a range in this fight.

the fight isnt so bad for something called extreme. i just want to see dds get more resp. thats all. and all these fights dont drop anything i need. this game is weird sometimes.

oh and that last screen cracked me up robber.

Lucis

This is just completely wrong, esp after 2.1. And on Garuda? Are you kidding? You have to be out of range for like 1-3 seconds based on your skill at timing to avoid wicked wheel. And you only need to avoid one wicked wheel from Superna, and maybe one from Chirata if you can't burn her down before she uses it.

Any Melee DPS will still easilly out DPS a range in this fight.

i don't think chirada uses ww... she uses down burst, which is frontal 180degree (to the tank only)

Al the talk about garuda, let me put something out there

USE ONLY ONE HEALER
USE ONLY ONE HEALER
USE ONLY ONE HEALER
USE ONLY ONE HEALER
USE ONLY ONE HEALER

This will make your fight about 500% easier

OT should pull suprana, she should die before even ww is in effect,
Garuda/Sup switch only happen if chirada's hp hits about 50%ish.

With 5 DPS, suprana should die so fast that dps can switch garuda right away, even if You have one or two melee, they all have gap closing and going through tornado should not be a problem.) This way you will kill garuda in the second sister phase of the third phase, less room for mess up, less chance of wiping.

studyguy

the fight isnt so bad for something called extreme. i just want to see dds get more resp. thats all. and all these fights dont drop anything i need. this game is weird sometimes.

oh and that last screen cracked me up robber.

As bad as ARR is for melee, it was infinitely worse in 1.23 when parties would outright refuse them in a ton of instances. Class stacking is never fun.

Zomba13

Fuck you very much Rush Cz (whoever you are). Got us locked out of KB in CT. Ran in, aggroed the boss then ran out before anyone was in. KB killed him and then reset then the arena locked us out.

Wilsongt

I've done ruru ex a few times with some gaffers. Haven't gotten a win yet, but I am learning the fight more and more, which is the most important thing, in my opinion.

Fuck you very much Rush Cz (whoever you are). Got us locked out of KB in CT. Ran in, aggroed the boss then ran out before anyone was in. KB killed him and then reset then the arena locked us out.

I've already dubbed Monday CT runs as Retarded CT Mondays, do we need to extend that into Tuesday, also?

GraveRobberX

Ready for the Ixal and whatever titan's beast tribe is called?

Titans are called Kobolds

I want Sahagins and Goblins
The Sahagins give you a bad-ass Seahorse or Pugil Mount, watch it be a Crab of some nature
While the Goblins give you a Snurble or Aldgoat mount, watch it be a Boar

Most likely it will be Ixali which will give you the Wolf Mount and Kobolds that give you the Puk or Eft mount

Wilsongt

Titans are called Kobolds

I want Sahagins and Goblins
The Sahagins give you a bad-ass Seahorse or Pugil Mount, wattch it be a Crab of some nature
While the Goblins give you a Snurble or Aldgoat mount, watch it be a Boar

Most likely it will be Ixali which will give you the Wolf Mount and Kobolds that give you the Puk or Eft mount

Sahagains will probably be released when Leviathan is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom