• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Item level is not character level, is it really that hard to understand?
The Item Level increase does not really increase the level required to wear those items. Look at the ARMOR on those items. ILEVEL 90 item is almost the SAME as ILEVLE 50 AF

I know that item level is not the same as character level. That was the whole point of my first post about the matter.

I know that item level does not increase the level required to use it. I'm saying that it should be the level required to use it, because why not. Nobody gives a damn about your character's level anyway, so why have that and item level be two separate numbers that define your character?

Sorian

Banned
Then change what the "general population" should expect. Don't be beholded to shitty game design just because the general population expects shitty game design. You can add other things to your character besides new abilities. Allow increases in cross class slots, add the functionality to alter your current abilities and further customize and refine your character, along with very minor stat increases or allocation possibilities.

Why do we need more solo quests when people will probably be able to get the required exp just from doing the dungeons for the gear they're trying to get anyway?

Why would it mean obsolete gear? The existence of ilvl90 gear in this game doesn't mean that the ilvl70 or 80 gear is obsolete.

Then change this, then change that. How about we toss out the entire design philosophy and start the game again from scratch? The game is set up to be a certain way and that is a departure from 1.x because 1.x was shit.

I know that item level is not the same as character level. That was the whole point of my first post about the matter.

I know that item level does not increase the level required to use it. I'm saying that it should be the level required to use it, because why not. Nobody gives a damn about your character's level anyway, so why have that and item level be two separate numbers that define your character?

Because they have two seperate functions and rolling all the functions into one level is dumb at this point.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Then change this, then change that. How about we toss out the entire design philosophy and start the game again from scratch? The game is set up to be a certain way and that is a departure from 1.x because 1.x was shit.
What I'm suggesting is far from going back to 1.x

Sorian

Banned
And what is the function of character level at endgame? It's useless.

It tells you that the player is at endgame. That is it's point. 50 is where character level ends and item level begins. They are two different things because item level doesn't matter pre-50 and character level doesn't matter post-50.

inb4 "Then just change x, y, and z......"

Lucis

Because, that's the definition of end game... how else do you think it will work
Character level is not useless, being capped is the REQUREMENT to be in end game.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It tells you that the player is at endgame. That is it's point. 50 is where character level ends and item level begins. They are two different things because item level doesn't matter pre-50 and character level doesn't matter post-50.

inb4 "Then just change x, y, and z......"

Being level 50+ would still mean you are at "endgame", in my suggestion.

They are two different things because item level doesn't matter pre-50 and character level doesn't matter post-50.
And if that's the case, why does it really facilitate the need for there to be two different things to convey the information of one thing?

Sorian

Banned
Being level 50+ would still mean you are at "endgame", in my suggestion.

And if that's the case, why does it really facilitate the need for there to be two different things to convey the information of one thing?

Because one is based on experience points received and the other is based on items equipped. They are 100% independent systems.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Because, that's the definition of end game... how else do you think it will work
Character level is not useless, being capped is the REQUREMENT to be in end game.
We don't necessarily have to be stuck in the "definition" of what endgame is supposed to mean. There isn't only one paradigm we should be stuck with.

Yes, character level is useless, no one cares what your character level is, only what your item level is. That's why they should be one and the same. Reaching level 50 is then the requirement to be in end game.

In many MMOs, The primary stat used for battle calculations. It just happens to be the same for everyone at endgame :p
That's why I'm saying keep the character levels and turn the ilvls into a required level to equip.

Because one is based on experience points received and the other is based on items equipped. They are 100% independent systems.
And from levels 1-49, they are the same thing. But once you reach level 50, item level branches off on its own tangent. Why does it *have* to do that?

Zidy

YoshiP must not have expected the game to be filled with a lot of people without lives who burn through content in a few days. =P

See, the amount of content is perfect for me. I'm working on AF2 stuff right now and am prepping for my first coil run. I'm a really busy person with work and going to school full-time that the amount of content is perfect for me. Hell, I feel like I fall behind a lot. But when you have players who burn through content like it's nothing, of course the devs can't keep up.

It is two different player bases that they have to satisfy. If they were constantly pouring out new content for those fast players, I would get so behind I'd feel too intimidated to play any endgame stuff.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Because the stats a player would gain, would mean a whole reset of mobs every time a new sets of gears are released

Lets say you want to do away with ilvls, just chars to 90, gear just used at those levels
Now to make the zones matter, you would have to upgrade most mobs by 30+ levels in the higher areas to compensate for level 90 characters running around

Now you force players that are lower than 50 be at a huge disadvantage to even go through a zone, punishing them for not leveling up quicker

Character level really is a soft cap for Eorzea at large
Your above the level 49 mobs, but your gear that you wear makes it easier for you to survive an onslaught

ilvl just helps everyone overall, it stops the world from being barren as fuck
Every player can reach the plateau and start going above it, but you won't get punished for being below it also

Also having to level a char from 50 to 90 would be an ungodly grind the way the XP curve was trending, it would really have made people stick to a job or two, and not push to complete jobs and help people complete parties by filling in roles not available at the moment

There would be such a huge tank shortage, cause if you had to take a tank to char level 90, then get it geared up, by the time you finished, most wouldn't want to risk of allocating time and resources to start again on a new job for the most part

From personal experience, I started BLM so I got to see how mobs worked, how tanks held hate/positioning, I was outside looking in
Picked up PLD to see it from inside out perspective, enjoyed it more, swapped to tank as main role
Tried DRG to see how and why these DRG always moved so much and a good tank always kept the positioning perfect so DRG don't need to move so much
Now I understand 3 roles completely so far

If there was a huge grind to 90, I might have stayed BLM and not thought about taking GLD to 30, level up sub classes to 15, then take PLD from 30 to 90

50 just means your competent enough that you at least understand your class/job
ilvl just refines and hones in on what you want to take advantage of stats wise from then on

Item level existed in 1.0, and just about every multiplayer game with loot that I can think of, it just wasn't surfaced like it was here. Its just a formula that effects the amount of possible stats that a given item can have.

Its like in 1.0 if 1 person had a primal weapon and the other was using a NQ crafted one. They're both 50 but one is certainly stronger, the problem is players seem to expect that ilvl = skill. They put silly requirements on groups and then get upset when supposedly geared people fail.

Sorian

Banned
Item level existed in 1.0, and just about every multiplayer game with loot that I can think of, it just wasn't surfaced like it was here. Its just a formula that effects the amount of possible stats that a given item can have.

Its like in 1.0 if 1 person had a primal weapon and the other was using a NQ crafted one. They're both 50 but one is certainly stronger, the problem is players seem to expect that ilvl = skill. They put silly requirements on groups and then get upset when supposedly geared people fail.

Here is the meat of the issue.

jiien

This conversation is moving super fast, but...

We don't necessarily have to be stuck in the "definition" of what endgame is supposed to mean. There isn't only one paradigm we should be stuck with.

Yes, character level is useless, no one cares what your character level is, only what your item level is. That's why they should be one and the same. Reaching level 50 is then the requirement to be in end game.

Character level does matter. It matters until you hit the character level cap. It matters before that because it determines what content you can get into. Except at a certain point, the developers want to give you A LOT of content to do at once, without being dependent on your level. To do that, they needed to give you some other way to progress. The way they decided to do that is to allow you to progress via the gear you wear. They made it dependent on what you are wearing instead (and how well you can play the game).

So, the general design paradigm here is to separate two modes of play: leveling up, and endgame. Leveling up feeds you content slowly, as you gain exp. In FFXIV, all of the instances you unlock slowly teach you more and more mechanics. And, you progress through a story, unlocking new story instances and set pieces. When you finish the story, and cap out your level at the same time, you've hit the endgame.

Now, the developers have a lot of content waiting for you, gated entirely by how good your gear is and how well you can apply the lessons you've learned as you leveled up. They didn't want to force you to level to continue unlocking instances. Instead, they gated it by completion of the instances, and your gear.

It is just another form of progression, and people like variety. As said by others earlier, I don't think your proposed method is bad; it just isn't this game.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Because the stats a player would gain, would mean a whole reset of mobs every time a new sets of gears are released
Level ups don't necessarily have to involve such huge natural stat boosts at each level up.

Lets say you want to do away with ilvls, just chars to 90, gear just used at those levels
Now to make the zones matter, you would have to upgrade most mobs by 30+ levels in the higher areas to compensate for level 90 characters running around
You wouldn't have to upgrade anything. Do we have to upgrade the zones because there are ilvl 90 player characters running around? No.

Character level really is a soft cap for Eorzea at large
Your above the level 49 mobs, but your gear that you wear makes it easier for you to survive an onslaught

ilvl just helps everyone overall, it stops the world from being barren as fuck
Every player can reach the plateau and start going above it, but you won't get punished for being below it also
See above. Mob placement is largely unchanged.

Also having to level a char from 50 to 90 would be an ungodly grind the way the XP curve was trending, it would really have made people stick to a job or two, and not push to complete jobs and help people complete parties by filling in roles not available at the moment
EXP curve doesn't have to be so steep.

There would be such a huge tank shortage, cause if you had to take a tank to char level 90, then get it geared up, by the time you finished, most wouldn't want to risk of allocating time and resources to start again on a new job for the most part
They do the exact same thing now, taking a character through the grind to get ilvl 90 gear.

From personal experience, I started BLM so I got to see how mobs worked, how tanks held hate/positioning, I was outside looking in
Picked up PLD to see it from inside out perspective, enjoyed it more, swapped to tank as main role
Tried DRG to see how and why these DRG always moved so much and a good tank always kept the positioning perfect so DRG don't need to move so much
Now I understand 3 roles completely so far

If there was a huge grind to 90, I might have stayed BLM and not thought about taking GLD to 30, level up sub classes to 15 then, take PLD from 30 to 90
You're way of thinking is that the only relevant aspect of the game comes at character level cap. I'm trying to envision the game so that character levels 1-90 are ALL relevant.

Why would have had to go all the way to 90? Stop at 50 and start doing the level 50 dungeons.

Sorian

Banned
Hamster, you aren't understanding the difference. In your scenario, experience points would have to dictate levels past 50, that isn't the design philosophy of the game.

Sorian

Banned
You're way of thinking is that the only relevant aspect of the game comes at character level cap. I'm trying to envision the game so that character levels 1-90 are ALL relevant.

Why would have had to go all the way to 90? Stop at 50 and start doing the level 50 dungeons.

And in the end, this is the only relevant aspect of the game is because the point is to add more challenging content as time goes on, adding in new content that isn't challenging just makes a boring game, see GW2.

You're tilting at windmills, Rentai. This is how MMOs have worked at endgame for a decade now. It's not going to change. What 1.0 had was significantly worse than what we have now which is pretty much industry standard.

Torquill

The fallacy people are making is that a Level 50 item of iLvl 90 is the same as a Level 90 item with iLvl 90. This is probably not the case.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Hamster, you aren't understanding the difference. In your scenario, experience points would have to dictate levels past 50, that isn't the design philosophy of the game.

There is no getting through to this guy.

But come on guys; how dare a developer do something that doesn't directly mirror WoW? I love it when my games don't attempt something fundamentally different over the course of a decade.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Right. In 1.0 the discrepancy between character level and item level wasn't so large, though. Neither is it in the Diablo games. (although Diablo isn't necessarily the best comparison since it's a random stats loot game)

All I'm wondering is why does it *have* to be so large here and in other MMOs. In the game, right now, you could round up everyone who is wearing ilvl 90 gear, change the number on their character level from 50 to 90, (without changing their natural stats, or normalizing it relative to their gear) and nothing significant will have changed.

the problem is players seem to expect that ilvl = skill. They put silly requirements on groups and then get upset when supposedly geared people fail.

Here is the meat of the issue.
This is part of the reason why I brought this discussion up in the first place. How to more accurately gauge the player skill through some particular number value. Because the current system isn't working for a lot of people, apparently, if they have that problem.

But come on guys; how dare a developer do something that doesn't directly mirror WoW? I love it when my games don't attempt something fundamentally different over the course of a decade.

The problem is that most games which attempt something different make it worse than the tried and true. I can count on about 2 fingers the currently operating MMOs which are very different from the norm and also not dead.

MMO players are a fickle lot and a large population of the base migrate from game to game, playing at launch and quitting after a month. FFXIV ARR doesn't attempt to be amazingly innovative in any aspect but it's a solid game which executes the tried and true competently. After the disaster of 1.0 it's not hard to imagine why they went a safer route when the game was remade. But it seems to be maintaining a solid subscriber base so playing it safe was the right decision IMHO.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm pretty sure I am, but I am framing it in a different context than what the game works at currently.

Of course experience points are the buckets you fill up to gain character levels, 1-50, or 50-90.

I know that's not the design philosophy of the game. I'm asking if it should be, and if there isn't a better way of doing it without having people conflate numbers with player skill, and having one number (in this case character level 50) be meaningless as to the relative power of your character.

And in the end, this is the only relevant aspect of the game is because the point is to add more challenging content as time goes on, adding in new content that isn't challenging just makes a boring game, see GW2.
My suggestion doesn't prohibit the addition of challenging content.

You're tilting at windmills, Rentai. This is how MMOs have worked at endgame for a decade now. It's not going to change. What 1.0 had was significantly worse than what we have now which is pretty much industry standard.
I'm not suggesting a change back to 1.0. What I have in mind is nothing like what 1.0 had.

Perhaps the current system that MMOs use is really the best. But there are still lots of problems with it. Problems I don't think are necessarily unsolvable. Problems that I don't think we have to settle for and live with.

The fallacy people are making is that a Level 50 item of iLvl 90 is the same as a Level 90 item with iLvl 90. This is probably not the case.
That's true in the context of the paradigm of how the game is currently set up. I'm suggesting the game not be set up that way.

Strawman argument. That's not what I'm suggesting at all.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hamster can you please envision what you think would be ideal

I see you try to demolish the way the game plays works, how would you shift focus

Throw me a pitch of what you would've liked to see endgame be and how the world and players in it live

Alucrid

Banned
Well, I don't understand why making the item level show instead of an actual level if your goal is to better gauge the skill of players. If that's what your argument is, I got lost in the thread, then neither seem like good barometers for that task.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Strawman argument. That's not what I'm suggesting at all.

Square developed the game the way they, as professionals, decided was best to reach their internal goals. Consumers obviously like the game. The game exceeded their internal goals.

I would say it is pretty far fetched they will change the game to meet your needs this round or next.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Well, I don't understand why making the item level show instead of an actual level if your goal is to better gauge the skill of players. If that's what your argument is, I got lost in the thread, then neither seem like good barometers for that task.

Maybe our characters should display the number of cleaves eaten. That could depict the skill.
lol

I think the idea of skill = time sunk is also being overlooked. Just because somebody no-lifed an exponentially increasing grind to 90 doesn't make them any more skilled.

Player skill in every game ever is measured by the content you have cleared. I don't know what character level or item level has to do with it. If I know a guy has killed Twintania that's all I need to know to judge him as awesome. I don't need to check his ilvl.

studyguy

The main issues I see here are people are comparing 1.0 to 2.0, honestly 1.0 was a multifaceted beast. 1.0 wasn't like 1.18 or 1.23. Even then, horizontal progressing sort of existed in 1.0, if only by merit of material alone. In the end it was always a straight climb though once they introduced what we now consider 2 star melds into the game.

Materia itself also went through a crapload of changes during 1.0, things being removed/included that may or may not have a use. Not till the end did you really start seeing custom overmelds of value. I get people want that sort of progression back, and I do too, but honestly it feels like 2.0 is somewhere around the midlife of 1.0 right now where there exists possibility with gear, but not enough foundation has been laid down yet.

Maybe I'm wrong though, who knows. Either way we still have whole new tiers of materia to be unlocked, whole new tiers of craftable goods, jobs, etc. We're only a few months into the relaunch so I'd rather wait and see what ends up happening in the end. All signs point to a straight vertical climb, but considering the kind of note 1.0 ended on with YoshiP's team, who knows....

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It probably wouldn't solve the problem completely. Gamers are always looking for a quick metric they can use to distill a stranger's potential performance down to a number. But we can agree that this issue is a problem in the current state of the game.

My main argument for it was because it's redundant having two different numbers be the metrics of your character's progression. Character level becomes meaningless at level 50. Why have two different numbers is one is going to become meaningless at a certain point?

Square developed the game the way they, as professionals, decided was best to reach their internal goals. Consumers obviously like the game. The game exceeded their internal goals.
That's fine.

I would say it is pretty far fetched they will change the game to meet your needs this round or next.
And I'm not expecting them to do that. I'm just theorycrafting and discussing gameplay and game design.

I'm not "demanding" that they do anything. I'm asking if there aren't any ways we could improve on the current system.

studyguy

Ignoring this boring gear talk for more important stuff:

The Allagan Empire made Dalamud right?

Around the Third Astral Era, 5000 years ago (3428)
Allagan Empire was founded & imprisoned Bahamut within Dalamud.

The Allagan Empire fell during the fourth Umbral Era though, almost 1000 years after the Third Astral started.

Sorian

Banned
Why have two different numbers is one is going to become meaningless at a certain point?

The answer will keep being the same. The metric is totally different for the two numbers because focus is different at endgame. Experience is a measure of how long you've played the game while gear is a mixture of luck, skill, and time invested.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hamster can you please envision what you think would be ideal

I see you try to demolish the way the game plays works, how would you shift focus

Throw me a pitch of what you would've liked to see endgame be and how the world and players in it live

I don't see it as "demolishing" anything. The world is exactly the same as how it is now, except we don't have the silly character level/ilvl discrepancy.

If you take every person wearing ilvl90 gear, and change their character level to 90 (without changing their natural stats, or normalizing it to fit within the context of their gear stats and relative power levels), there is nothing at all different as to how the world works. (I guess you'd also have to adjust the battle calculations so that level 50-90 are calculated the same way as level 50 is now. That way, level difference calculations are not changed.).

Ken

Around the Third Astral Era, 5000 years ago (3428)
Allagan Empire was founded & imprisoned Bahamut within Dalamud.

The Allagan Empire fell during the fourth Umbral Era though, almost 1000 years after the Third Astral started.

So tell me if this is incorrect:

The Allagan Empire made Dalamud, stuffed Bahamut inside and maybe shot it into space before or after imprisonment. A part of Dalamud fell off and is what we know as The Binding Coils (T1-5). And then they disappeared leaving behind their soldiers' armor, everything inside the Coil, coins, and a few landmarks.

Kind of weird for such an advanced empire to just die off to something else when nothing else in current Eorzea looks close to matching their levels technologically. I'd be more content if they just said they were time-travellers and left Eorzea. I do wish we could have Allagan dailies haha; I'd find that more interesting than this beastman stuff.

Sorian

Banned
I don't see it as "demolishing" anything. The world is exactly the same as how it is now, except we don't have the silly character level/ilvl discrepancy.

If you take every person wearing ilvl90 gear, and change their character level to 90 (without changing their natural stats, or normalizing it to fit within the context of their gear stats and relative power levels), there is nothing at all different as to how the world works. (I guess you'd also have to adjust the battle calculations so that level 50-90 are calculated the same way as level 50 is now. That way, level difference calculations are not changed.).

So you propose that the system chooses an arbitrary level, 50, where character level no longer obeys experience points but instead just averages to your gear level? So when people ding 50, they will probably just drop down to level 47 right?

Aeana

So excited for the live letter. Glad we'll be hearing from Hiroshi Takai, who was also the director of Feep's favorite game, The Last Remnant.

The Allagan Empire made Dalamud, stuffed Bahamut inside and maybe shot it into space before or after imprisonment. A part of Dalamud fell off and is what we know as The Binding Coils (T1-5). And then they disappeared leaving behind their soldiers' armor, everything inside the Coil, coins, and a few landmarks.

Kind of weird for such an advanced empire to just die off to something else when nothing else in current Eorzea looks close to matching their levels technologically. I'd be more content if they just said they were time-travellers and left Eorzea. I do wish we could have Allagan dailies haha; I'd find that more interesting than this beastman stuff.

Think of the story of Chrono Trigger.

BLCKATK

The trick is we don't know exactly how they died off. Was sending Dalamud into space and removing Bahamut from the planet the Allagan empire's last act? Or was that part of what lead them to their extinction? They are an incredibly advanced race capable of this that no other race in Eorzea except maybe the Ascians can achieve. I think we'll be finding out how they went extinct soon enough. Crystal Tower is a tomb for one of their emperors, after all.

studyguy

The Allagan Empire made Dalamud, stuffed Bahamut inside and maybe shot it into space before or after imprisonment. A part of Dalamud fell off and is what we know as The Binding Coils (T1-5).

Kind of weird for such an advanced empire to just die off to something else? I'd be more content if they just said they were time-travellers and left Eorzea.

The Allagan Empire fell during an Umbral Era, every Umbral Era is marked by a cataclysm befalling the land. The Fourth Umbral Era was also Earth aspected... so that might explain why whatever happened to them led to all of it being shoved underground. Just a theory.

Also we bore witness to another Umbral Era with Bahamut, so equate that to what the Allagans experienced, only they didn't have the help of the Sharlayans like Louisoix. The story within the Binding Coil suggests that Louisoix was up to more than we were led on to know. For anyone that played 1.0, he had one final throwaway textbox after you finished the Nael Nightmare attunement quest that said something to the effect of if this doesn't work then there's always... Whether that meant launching us into the future or something else, who knows.

The Garlean Empire was already trying to pull Dalamud back into Eorzean orbit around 20 years ago (roughly 1562), the failure of that project is what actually led to Cid leaving the empire.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So you propose that the system chooses an arbitrary level, 50, where character level no longer obeys experience points but instead just averages to your gear level? So when people ding 50, they will probably just drop down to level 47 right?
No, that's not it. You'll always fill up your buckets of exp to gain character levels, just as you do now, and just as in any other RPG. Let me try frame this in a different way. An extreme example, nothing like how it would actually be implemented in a game, but just to try to more clearly express what I mean.

So say you level up from 1-50 the same way as you do now. Then, instead of being level capped, you keep getting exp like you always do. You essentially keep leveling up from 50 to 90, using the same experience formula that is used when you go from 49-50. And your stats don't change at all. All this does is enable you to wear higher level gear. Keep in mind that when you're grinding for your ilvl 60 gear, you'll probably be level 60 by the time you get your first drop anyway. And when you're grinding dungeons and primals for your ilvl70 gear, you'll probably ding level 70 by the time you get your first drop anyway. Etc. Etc.

Keep in mind that this is an extreme example to try to demonstrate the meaninglessness of all these numbers, and that it is not how I would have it work in my "ideal" game design.

Ploid 3.0

This would piss off the people that just dinged 50 so they can wear their whm ilvl 90 gear, and smn's that dinged to 50 to wear their ilvl 90 blm gear hah, I see your point though. I can't wait for the expansion with new classes/jobs and better armor stats. Also much higher world enemy levels that drop fun stuff sometimes for people that like to kill stuff that could be risky.

studyguy

I want to see Leviathan. Tidal Waaaave. :O

modelviewer201111162132.jpg

More interested to see how big he is, his model looks sort of small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom