• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenai

AV was probably harder on pet jobs.

And AV provides really good experience, do it!

I have heard that they "nerfed" the damage the boss mechanics will do to pets. Not that I've been going out of my way to run back in and find out. I'm sure I'll get it for DF someday to see.

rykomatsu

man....so close...soooo close on Garuda EX and solo heal...about 10-15 sec away from last bubble before burning the last 10% or so of her health, then tank and party got hit with an untimely slipstream :(

WolvenOne

Man, real big day.

One Shot Ultima a few times.

One shot Turns 1-4 with my Coil Group. (You rock BB's.)

Totally won the lottery on Allagan Tank drops, now I'm only missing the pants and Headpiece.

Got out, one shot Ultima again, but somebody used up the LB meter, so the Healer was the only one left standing.

Leveled up my Lancer a bit, went through my first dungeon as a DPS, outside of the Beta, and I had no idea what I was doing in that phase of the beta.

Came out, and helped out a Fate Party in N. Thanalan. Ended up tanking Dark Devices using only the PLD's Heals, Choco Heals, and a whoooooole lot of Leech Healing.

Pro-tip, so long as the first three can hold you roughly in place, you can use Thrill of Battle to restore 20% of your Health at a time, it'll keep you at fairly healthy HP. XD

Also, been meaning to ask, wasn't the Inner Beast Self Heal supposed to be removed? I still have mine, it's been nerfed slightly but it's still there.

Ken

It used to be a 300% of damage dealt self-heal IIRC. Now it's 100% of damage dealt (which is still something I guess).

Tash

As mentioned a few pages back, I need to switch my main healer again.

WHM is ilvl 90 but now I need to gear SCH properly.

I have most 90 pieces minus:
Chest (overmelded Vanya)
legs (darklight pfft)
Relic (not zenithed).

Seeing in this we are working on T5 and all the other slots are allagan (with Hero Ring as secondary), I should defo go for Book Zenith, right?

Legs and book from T5 and Chest from T4. So again, book is the most logical course I would assume.

WolvenOne

It used to be a 300% of damage dealt self-heal IIRC.

Yeah, I noticed, it's down to 100% now. I'm just a little confused, since I could've sworn in the November Live Letter they were talking about getting rid of the Self Heals on IB entirely.

Glad to still have it though. It'll give me anywhere from 500 to even 850 HP (Rarely, but it has happened during a particularly nice crit,) and that's frequently enough to top me off, which is important if I'm expecting a big attack.

Chest (overmelded Vanya)
legs (darklight pfft)
Relic (not zenithed).

Seeing in this we are working on T5 and all the other slots are allagan (with Hero Ring as secondary), I should defo go for Book Zenith, right?

Legs and book from T5 and Chest from T4. So again, book is the most logical course I would assume.

I recently went Zenithed book on my scholar and am a little unsure about whether it was the right choice for me. If you have all the myth accessories and decent gear in your other slots then it might be the right choice (considering you don't want the extreme primal weapon). However, if you're aiming to gear yourself for harder hitting content then you'll want to upgrade gear that gives you vit and stats because survivability trumps the boosted healing you get from the zenith upgrade.

As always it's a choice you'll have to make yourself but it basically comes down to what you want to gear yourself for and whether you want to save the 900 myth for alternate gear or even an alt class.

Ken

I recently went Zenithed book on my scholar and am a little unsure about whether it was the right choice for me. If you have all the myth accessories and decent gear in your other slots then it might be the right choice (considering you don't want the extreme primal weapon). However, if you're aiming to gear yourself for harder hitting content then you'll want to upgrade gear that gives you vit and stats because survivability trumps the boosted healing you get from the zenith upgrade.

As always it's a choice you'll have to make yourself but it basically comes down to what you want to gear yourself for and whether you want to save the 900 myth for alternate gear or even an alt class.

The most amount of HP you'll ever need is probably around 4.2k so don't go too overboard with vitality accessories.

Someone tell me how much longer I have before I can go back in and smash my head against CT treasure coffers.

The most amount of HP you'll ever need is probably around 4.2k so don't go too overboard with vitality accessories.

Someone tell me how much longer I have before I can go back in and smash my head against CT treasure coffers.

Ahh yeah that's a good point. At least the 4200hp is what I've heard (I've never done Turn5 myself but I imagine something in there hits for upwards of 4k). But I didn't mean to get vit accessories, as a scholar if you're going for crit then the myth accessories are great (and can be used with WHM so it's like two classes with one mythtome). But the choice about getting zenith or myth body parts isn't as simple as 'more weapon damage = more healing' since the stats on gear can help with surviving while also improving healing (although not as potent at weapon damage) and if extreme primal weapon is within reach then you might wanna just save the myth for something else.

But Zenith weapons do glow... so I'm pretty happy with mine.

Kenai

Chest (overmelded Vanya)
legs (darklight pfft)
Relic (not zenithed).

The book is probably the best bang for your buck since it's better than the one from EX weeklies. Best one by far is from T5 but...yea.

Interesting thing to note about gearing SCH vs WHM is that they are almost polar opposites regarding BiS items. Most of SCH's favs are going to come from tomes since Coil stuff has a disturbing lack of Crit which is SCH's favorite secondary stat by quite a bit. It gives a large extra boost to the Adloquium Galvanize effect, and fairy heal crits also give you a nice spell speed boost, so you want as much as you can get.

The gloves from T1 are BiS since those do have crit, and the T5 has crit as well, but everything else you can just spend your tomes as you earn them. Rule of thumb beyond that is replacing stuff without crit with stuff with crit when ilvls are otherwise equal.

Ken

Ahh yeah that's a good point. At least the 4200hp is what I've heard (I've never done Turn5 myself but I imagine something in there hits for upwards of 4k). But I didn't mean to get vit accessories, as a scholar if you're going for crit then the myth accessories are great (and can be used with WHM so it's like two classes with one mythtome). But the choice about getting zenith or myth body parts isn't as simple as 'more weapon damage = more healing' since the stats on gear can help with surviving while also improving healing (although not as potent at weapon damage) and if extreme primal weapon is within reach then you might wanna just save the myth for something else.

But Zenith weapons do glow... so I'm pretty happy with mine.

I kind of view myth gear as a time thing where the order you buy gear in probably isn't a huge factor as long as you're actively getting gear progression. Choosing to get the Zenith over myth chest probably won't be the deciding factor if you down Twin this week versus 2 weeks down the line. In any case, the Royal Vest from CT could probably tide you over since it's just 4 VIT behind the i90 chests if vitality ends up being an issue.

Stuart444

Healing can be so stressful at times. Often I wonder how much the rest of the party hates me when I mess up.

My fiancee felt bad just messing up during Brayflox story mode (took a real hit to her confidence). Some folks don't know how stressful healing can be. :/ Thankfully the DF Tank and FC DPS guildie were patient enough through the two wipes. (Beat the final boss 3rd time lucky)

We're actually working on getting her Surecast/Swiftcast from THM now. If she had that, she may have been able to rez me after my small F-up. (got killed by a jump/stomp from the boss, It all went downhill from there causing the 2nd wipe... I blame myself for that one)

My fiancee felt bad just messing up during Brayflox story mode (took a real hit to her confidence). Some folks don't know how stressful healing can be. :/ Thankfully the DF Tank and FC DPS guildie were patient enough through the two wipes. (Beat the final boss 3rd time lucky)

We're actually working on getting her Surecast/Swiftcast from THM now. If she had that, she may have been able to rez me after my small F-up. (got killed by a jump/stomp from the boss, It all went downhill from there causing the 2nd wipe... I blame myself for that one)

I'm always nervous.. always. Getting people from the FC telling me I did well or getting commendations from DF people makes me feel better because honestly this is the first game I've played as a healer properly (all other times, it's been as an alt) even in 1.0, I only had CNJ on my THM for cure to help when we played together.

I know some of those commendations might have just been because I do play a healing class but it's just the way I feel. I'm sure I'll get better but it really is hard for me since I almost always choose a DPS class.

So thanks to anyone that's played with us and been patient :D.

I have heard that they "nerfed" the damage the boss mechanics will do to pets. Not that I've been going out of my way to run back in and find out. I'm sure I'll get it for DF someday to see.

I plan to go back soon and see. Depends on how long I have to wait in DF. Supposedly when you eat a fruit, the pet loses the debuffs as well.

Tash

The book is probably the best bang for your buck since it's better than the one from EX weeklies. Best one by far is from T5 but...yea.

Interesting thing to note about gearing SCH vs WHM is that they are almost polar opposites regarding BiS items. Most of SCH's favs are going to come from tomes since Coil stuff has a disturbing lack of Crit which is SCH's favorite secondary stat by quite a bit. It gives a large extra boost to the Adloquium Galvanize effect, and fairy heal crits also give you a nice spell speed boost, so you want as much as you can get.

The gloves from T1 are BiS since those do have crit, and the T5 has crit as well, but everything else you can just spend your tomes as you earn them. Rule of thumb beyond that is replacing stuff without crit with stuff with crit when ilvls are otherwise equal.

Yeah I know :/
Allagan is almost in all slotes better then myth gear for WHM while SCH crit comes from most myth gear. That is the reason I am annoyed that I need to focus on SCH again. Because my WHM has pretty much all best in slot minus Allagan chest which just doesn't want to drop -.-
As mentioned on my SCH Chest, Legs and book are the only non ilvl 90 pieces.

Also with the Allagan gear I am over the minimum HP for T5 already. So no biggie there :)

dwix

Healing can be so stressful at times. Often I wonder how much the rest of the party hates me when I mess up.

I thankfully haven't been the reason for a wipe yet, but my time will come.

As a WHM, I assume it is best to rely on Cure I and Regen unless big damage hits are coming in? At that point use Cure II/Medica, but save Cure III for procs?

dramatis

As a WHM, I assume it is best to rely on Cure I and Regen unless big damage hits are coming in? At that point use Cure II/Medica, but save Cure III for procs?
Cure III is only good in primal fights. It is useless everywhere else, unless you find yourself in a situation where your party members are actually stacked together (never except in primal fights).

Never used a Cure III proc, because it never procs in situations that require it.

You will need to use Cure II much more in endgame fights. The way I determine which button to press is between 80%-100% of a tank's hp bar (and if there's another healer), use Cure; if the tank has fallen below 80% or you anticipate a big damage strike coming soon, cast Cure II. Medica is for mopping up the party damage. When you hit 50, you will get Medica II which is Regen For The Party, which mops up more damage.

If there is a bard in the party, you can afford being a little more liberal with your mp, but automatically assuming the bard should support you is not optimal. If the bard supports you, he/she gets a 20% damage debuff, so it's better if you juggle your own mp to the best of your ability.

Kenai

That sounds about right, seems to be what my WHM co healers do outside of their pre-pull SS macro voodoo. Regen can be a bit funky with aggro on pull or adds that spawn mid fight (same with Medica 2's regen) so that's something to keep in mind since it's also somewhat tempting to cast before a pull due to the MP cost. When I see WHMs steal aggro as they are wont to do occasionally that regen is usually the culprit (with the other being a badly timed Medica 1/2)

I actually don't see WHMs use Cure 3 much though. No real opinion as to why, just what I have noticed.

dwix

Cure III is only good in primal fights. It is useless everywhere else, unless you find yourself in a situation where your party members are actually stacked together (never except in primal fights).

Never used a Cure III proc, because it never procs in situations that require it.

You will need to use Cure II much more in endgame fights. The way I determine which button to press is between 80%-100% of a tank's hp bar (and if there's another healer), use Cure; if the tank has fallen below 80% or you anticipate a big damage strike coming soon, cast Cure II. Medica is for mopping up the party damage. When you hit 50, you will get Medica II which is Regen For The Party, which mops up more damage.

If there is a bard in the party, you can afford being a little more liberal with your mp, but automatically assuming the bard should support you is not optimal. If the bard supports you, he/she gets a 20% damage debuff, so it's better if you juggle your own mp to the best of your ability.

This is great, thanks for the tips.

omlet

That sounds about right, seems to be what my WHM co healers do outside of their pre-pull SS macro voodoo. Regen can be a bit funky with aggro on pull or adds that spawn mid fight (same with Medica 2's regen) so that's something to keep in mind since it's also somewhat tempting to cast before a pull due to the MP cost. When I see WHMs steal aggro as they are wont to do occasionally that regen is usually the culprit (with the other being a badly timed Medica 1/2)

I don't really think "funky" is the right word for it because it's quite clear what happens. Regen ticks before anyone else has a chance to generate threat on the target(s). Also, overhealing in this game still generates threat, AFAIK. This is why you need to know the fight because casting regen or media II before a part where adds will spawn (or on pull) is just asking to get walloped.

Trust me I'm an expert on this! I healed turns 1-4 for the first time this week and was reminded the hard way after causing one wipe on t4 lol.

Tash

Tbh, even in coil you will be spamming Cure and then Cure II on a proc (or if you fall a bit behind and are unlucky with some crits on your tank). Divine Seal is your best friend here. Keep it off CD all the time because it will enable you to spam Cure 1 for more Cure II procs and thus preserve you MP in the process.

Outside of T5, Ultima and Garuda I never use Cure III. As mentioned, the proc is way too unreliable to be up when you actually need it.

Generally don't have regen or medica II ticking during pulls or during transitions.

About a week ago I realized I had FFXIV for free from when I bought it back in 2010, so I fired it up to see what it was all about.

I've sunk quite a bit of time into it so far and I can't really say I'm having a good time. It definitely feels like another themepark MMO, but it does have a nice level of polish on the graphics.

There is one aspect of combat that I really have a problem with, though. Does TP usage ever get addressed? Is it supposed to be a soft-cap on the length of a fight? I find that I'll run out of TP during some longer party engagements and I'm stuck waiting for it to tick up for a couple of seconds. Overall, I feel like the entire TP mechanic is worthless, but maybe I'm just missing some of the later depth?

Alucrid

Banned
About a week ago I realized I had FFXIV for free from when I bought it back in 2010, so I fired it up to see what it was all about.

I've sunk quite a bit of time into it so far and I can't really say I'm having a good time. It definitely feels like another themepark MMO, but it does have a nice level of polish on the graphics.

There is one aspect of combat that I really have a problem with, though. Does TP usage ever get addressed? Is it supposed to be a soft-cap on the length of a fight? I find that I'll run out of TP during some longer party engagements and I'm stuck waiting for it to tick up for a couple of seconds. Overall, I feel like the entire TP mechanic is worthless, but maybe I'm just missing some of the later depth?

Monks, Dragoons and Bards all have access to Invigorate which restores 400-500 TP.

omlet

What fights in particular do you mean and what job(s)? For a melee DPS class (or bard), getting Invigorate from the Lancer class is basically required for longer fights. Without Invigorate you will suffer. With it, you should never have significant TP issues unless you are overusing expensive skills and/or not using Invigorate at the right times.

I'm mostly just trying to figure out how TP adds anything to the game at all.

I saw musketeer might be one of the new classes coming up, which seems pretty cool. I always like the idea of gun classes in FFXI, but I never wanted to invest the money into the ammo upkeep. I'm leveling marauder and archer in a gamble for musketeer now.

Alucrid

Banned

I saw musketeer might be one of the new classes coming up, which seems pretty cool. I always like the idea of gun classes in FFXI, but I never wanted to invest the money into the ammo upkeep. I'm leveling marauder and archer in a gamble for musketeer now.

That's like asking how Mana adds anything to the game.

omlet

Just like with MP, TP encourages you to find optimal skill rotations to get good DPP and also to learn to pace yourself properly on fights with phases/mechanics so that you are never out when you need it. l2p

That's like asking how Mana adds anything to the game.

I wanted to say this but I thought it would be too snarky so I left it out, thanks for posting :lol

Torquill

I think a very simple adjustment that would go a long way to helping make housing accessible is to allow players to sell small/large plots, even at at loss.

Suddenly the "starter home" option becomes a viable thing and FC will be willing to buy small/med while working on large.

You don't lose any Gil sink opportunities and you'll see a lot more use of housing.

Meh, I don't think it'll have any notable effect on the economy they're always "looking at", but more houses for people to play around with the better I guess, even if they're small. Small one is just fine for us. We might upgrade to medium at some point later down the road, but large would mostly just be a waste for our more active players. I'm actually kind of glad we just went with the cottage now, because the mansion and even the house aren't even worth the money in my eyes. We've furnished and crafted most of the housing stuff anyway and I think that trend will continue into the larger and more wealthy guilds (any guild wealthy enough to buy even a small plot will likely have the crafters to furnish it). The housing market will remain dead until they loosen up some of the nonsense around it (e.g. selling a plot).

Especially given that it's an investment for not much return right now. We can hang out and goof around, but we do that anywhere (they didn't even bother giving us a f#$&%!g market board to have anywhere the housing areas), It'll remain just an arbitrary gil-sink for people to focus on for the time being. Luckily, we're on a non-legacy server so the 8 million we spent was pocket change.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
How have people with WHM been allocating their attribute points? Have you folks been dumping them all into MND, or sprinkling a few points in other areas as well?

Aeana

How have people with WHM been allocating their attribute points? Have you folks been dumping them all into MND, or sprinkling a few points in other areas as well?
Just dump it into mind. A single point of mind makes more difference than a single point of anything else.

DrDogg

When I play as a healer, and things go south, it's almost always because the tank messed up.

I was running Haukke Manor HM last night and on the first boss the tank was ignoring the adds and just standing in the ice taking tons of damage. Whenever I got aggro I would run over to the tank to make it easy for him to Flash or Overpower, and when he refused to move out of the ice I did everything I could, but the tank still died.

We barely won the fight, with two dead party members at the end, but I felt I did everything I could as the healer. This is an extreme example, but as long as the healer is keeping the party alive to the best of their abilities (and maybe with some good MP conservation), any blame falls on other jobs.

I can't tell you how many times I'm running HM Primals or CT on my WHM and the SCH isn't doing anything other than DPSing. So frustrating to see, yet the SCH claims they're healing if you call them out. Every time I die, the party dies. When the SCH dies, he's back up instantly and we all survive.

WolvenOne

So, I keep hearing about 2.15. I assume that's an update for bugfixes, additional seasonal events, and adjustments.

Is there any official list for everything they plan to change?

Ala Alba

I can't tell you how many times I'm running HM Primals or CT on my WHM and the SCH isn't doing anything other than DPSing. So frustrating to see, yet the SCH claims they're healing if you call them out. Every time I die, the party dies. When the SCH dies, he's back up instantly and we all survive.

As a SCH that DPSes in CT (and other places), that's because having both of us heal is honestly a waste sometimes (for example, if our tank isn't MTing the raid). WHM has better aoe heals, so leaving the incidental damage to my fairy and the WHM seems like a good idea to me.

Of course, I still throw out lustrates, and if people start dying that's generally a cue that maybe the WHM can't solo heal it and it's time to switch back.

But hey, if you want to DPS instead, just say the word and I'm sure most DPSing SCHs will let you take a turn (just watch your MP).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom