• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the grats guys.

Yeah we normally have a Monk but he is on vacation right now, also about the kiting method its to give a the healers some time to dps the main snake a bit, reduce healing, and to allow me to pick up the other two snakes as soon as they spawn so we can lb them faster. Which allows more time to kill the big snake before twin drops.

EDIT: Here is the vid if anyone wants. http://www.twitch.tv/escapingjail/c/3560668

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Congrats to Ultros GAF on the successful vote and the housing. Looking forward to screens (and seeing it in person, eventually).

Alucrid

Banned
happy housing day

DCA167B34F4FEB8EAB8E75A6F9801C28B6F9320B

Noi

Got to Amalj'aa Rank 4, finally. Finally time to get my long awaited mount and mini-

...Oh, buying the mount costs 120k, and the minion costs 25k. I feel like I just got blindsided from something I didn't expect at all.

Kenai

Damn WoW raid.

I'll log in soon to try to get that last blue fox hide for the sheep rug creation. Enjoy yourselves in the meantime all, our house is a real thing yisssss!!!

Ploid 3.0

I've been thinking do people consider their neighbors when they buy their Guild house? Like if you are friendly with another guild and sometimes do stuff with them, it would be awesome to have a house right next to them. Though there isn't much reason to interact with other guilds in this game yet I suppose. I wonder if people will start socializing with their neighbors and become buds and such.

Teknoman

Time out, we actually have a hot tub? Wow lol, thats kinda cool.

I've been thinking do people consider their neighbors when they buy their Guild house? Like if you are friendly with another guild and sometimes do stuff with them, it would be awesome to have a house right next to them. Though there isn't much reason to interact with other guilds in this game yet I suppose. I wonder if people will start socializing with their neighbors and become buds and such.

Duo FC Crystal Tower runs?

Maybe Odin/Behemoth fates (do people still do these? I'm a new 50)?

Welp, just started tonight. Only level 6 at the moment. Making a mage. I won't lie---not enjoying the mage much. But maybe it is too early to tell? At what level should I bail and go with another class? I'm thinking around 10?

Sophia

Welp, just started tonight. Only level 6 at the moment. Making a mage. I won't lie---not enjoying the mage much. But maybe it is too early to tell? At what level should I bail and go with another class? I'm thinking around 10?

You won't be able to switch until level 10, and you'll need the airship pass (obtained through the story at level 14 or so) to pick classes from another city. So just stick with it.

Personally, I don't like Thaumaturge myself, but maybe you will. A lot of classes don't really come into their own until key points. Specifically level 15 (where you have all basic abilities needed to do a dungeon) and level 30 (where you can unlock your job and content actually gets difficult.)

Kenai

If you mean THM, I hear they are quite boring until the 30s when they get Firestarter/Thundercloud procs to work with. If you are planning on leveling a caster at all I'd recommend at least getting it to 26 since Swftcast is basically mandatory on them. Then you can leave it for good and never look back.

Sophia

Thanks for advice. I'll go ahead and stick with it. If I do change, I'll make a whole new character so at some point I'll have ability to pick up again.

You really don't need to make a new character, and it's generally disadvantageous from a time standpoint to do so. You would have to re-complete any main story quests, and you're expected to switch classes eventually anyhow.

Ken

If you mean THM, I hear they are quite boring until the 30s when they get Firestarter/Thundercloud procs to work with. If you are planning on leveling a caster at all I'd recommend at least getting it to 26 since Swftcast is basically mandatory on them. Then you can leave it for good and never look back.

That's what all the BLMs told me, but I still think they're boring at 50. Good class though if you like seeing big numbers.

dcye

Got to Amalj'aa Rank 4, finally. Finally time to get my long awaited mount and mini-

...Oh, buying the mount costs 120k, and the minion costs 25k. I feel like I just got blindsided from something I didn't expect at all.

It's not like this info wasn't readily available or hidden.

Noi

It's not like this info wasn't readily available or hidden.

If by readily available you mean a single listing in the database then sure, whatever. The price isn't even in the patch notes, those just say "you can buy these things here".

I knew I had to buy them, but I didn't expect having to pay more than 150 times the price of the most expensive thing the vendor sells at Rank 3.

I wouldn't be as miffed if I hadn't blown a ton of gil on materia melding just yesterday with no success to show for it. Doing anything that isn't running the same content over and over for drops is so god damn expensive.

You really don't need to make a new character, and it's generally disadvantageous from a time standpoint to do so. You would have to re-complete any main story quests, and you're expected to switch classes eventually anyhow.
Gotcha. I was afraid certain races were better at certain classes, to where if I wanted to be let's say a fighter my race I chose for a mage wouldn't be as good. Or are the stat differences minimal?

Gotcha. I was afraid certain races were better at certain classes, to where if I wanted to be let's say a fighter my race I chose for a mage wouldn't be as good. Or are the stat differences minimal?

So minuscule that they don't matter a lick. There are plenty of Roe mages and Lalafell tanks than you can swing a cactaur at.

Kenai

They are minimal. The biggest differences are +3 or -3 to a certain stat and that's not even a drop in the bucket.

I played WoW from its beta to end of WotLK. If you enjoyed WoW and are a fan of the Final Fantasy series, I think you'll be right at home in this game. There's a lot of things FFXIV falls short in, but it has a lot of potential. Its end-game content is pretty limited at the moment, but the difficulty is well tuned and the mechanics are varied and interesting, which gives me hope that the development team knows what they're doing.

Compared to WoW, these are some of the pros and cons that FFXIV has:

+ Better music (the soundtrack is the best out of all MMO's I've played by far)
+ Better graphics
+ Better story (subjective really, but I never got into WoW's storyline. In WoW, the player was more on the sidelines and the real story involved the NPC. Even when killing the Lich King, you felt more like a minion/soldier for your faction. In FFXIV, the player plays a central part in the story, even if it doesn't really make sense in an MMO-world.)

- Terrible server-side netcode
- Clunkier UI (WoW mainly has the edge because of addon's, which FFXIV will supposedly have down the line)
- Less class customization (I should say no class customization/builds in FFXIV, which sucks for people who like to theorycraft, min/max, or just play around with oddball builds)
- Boring gear stats
- Really terrible PvP...WoW's PvP is very fluid, and requires both twitch reflexes and smart play. It wasn't always balanced, but even in vanilla there was solid counter-class interplay inherent in its design (ie. rogues > warlocks > hunters > mages > warriors > rogues). PvP in FFXIV is just a chaotic mess, with really no semblance of balance at all.

Of all those cons, only PvP is something I see as a lost cause. Don't get this game if you enjoyed arenas/battlegrounds in other MMO's. Every other flaw in the game will surely be improved with each patch.

Fortunately, I am not a PvPer so- that is a moot point :) Everything else you mentioned? Spot on. I went ahead and spent the $30 and decided to try it out.

The graphics are fantastic at maximum @ 1080p. The textures are great. The music is wonderful too- the starting area I was at made me feel like I was running around the Shire listening to hobbit music lol.

DQgOpp9.jpg

Quick character I just created quickly to check out a starting area and see how the game felt, looked, etc. I was actually really impressed.

I am actually pretty excited to jump into the game tomorrow- especially the 3 day weekend! coming on. Now to figure out which class I want to start with and which race. Leaning towards working to either Dragoon or Black Mage. Or maybe Bard. Ha :( Indecisiveness kicking in.

But good recommendation and I am looking forward to quite the adventure! :)

Stuart444

Not that it would have made a difference but both me and my fiancee voted:

1. Gridania
2. Limsa Lominsa
3. Ul'dah

While the google doc says Ul'dah and Gridania have switched places for both of us :/

Oh well, nice to see the housing stuff is out of our way now.

edit: Welcome to the game PorkWing :) Enjoy it

BLCKATK

Congrats on the house Ultros GAF! Looks great, wish I was on your server to come check it out. My free company is saving for a large but we are quite a ways away. Cheapest large is 176 mil at the moment and it's only 20-30 our so people working towards it, a very daunting task.

Congratulations GAF! Everyone worked so hard. You guys/gals are amazing. :D

5IPu0qk.png

Not that it would have made a difference but both me and my fiancee voted:

1. Gridania
2. Limsa Lominsa
3. Ul'dah

While the google doc says Ul'dah and Gridania have switched places for both of us :/

Oh well, nice to see the housing stuff is out of our way now.

edit: Welcome to the game PorkWing :) Enjoy it

Jade Arcana and Alice Barnes? Your votes are correct. I tripled checked all votes individually. Someone else claimed theirs was wrong, but I checked and it wasn't. The order determines the amount of points to each location. 1 for 3 points, 2 for 2 points, and 3 for 1 point. Check again. The spreadsheet accurately shows 3 to Gridania, 2 to Limsa, and 1 to Uldah for both you and Alice. The spreadsheet might seem confusing at first but points are assigned to each column based on how much weight each vote was.

Stuart444

5IPu0qk.png

Jade Arcana and Alice Barnes? I tripled checked all votes individually. Someone else claimed theirs was wrong, but I checked and it wasn't. The order listed is how many points each one gets. 1 for 3 points, 2 for 2 points, and 3 for 1 point. Check again. The spreadsheet accurately shows 3 to Gridania, 2 to Limsa, and 1 to Uldah for both you and Alice.

*Facepalm*

Now I get it.

Since I had Gridania listed as 1, it gets 3 points which is what it shows in the spreadsheet right? So Gridania having 3 points (my number 1 choice) matches up with what I wrote.

Sorry about that, I just got confused there. It's all good.

*Facepalm*

Now I get it.

Since I had Gridania listed as 1, it gets 3 points which is what it shows in the spreadsheet right? So Gridania having 3 points (my number 1 choice) matches up with what I wrote.

Sorry about that, I just got confused there. It's all good.

Exactly. This made it much easier to tally the results. No worries. Someone else made the same mistake so I probably should have added a note about it.

Minor pet peeve but I don't like it when people trying new roles like tanking or healing get so down on themselves and are so self critical. Stop being so hard on yourself, it's not the end of the world if you mess up but stop treating like a job or something. I just hate...hate seeing people so hard on themselves.

Yes I know I have an issue with this but not to this extent!

And any of you low level players, remember to send a tell to K'tai Quohn or Jamie Neima if you need help with something story wise, I'm here to help! And there are others who will help too!

Mupod

ok guys need to get going on those twintania kills

i95 gear? what? No, we need the illumination module for the house, screw that other stuff.

Yu Narukami

5IPu0qk.png

Jade Arcana and Alice Barnes? Your votes are correct. I tripled checked all votes individually. Someone else claimed theirs was wrong, but I checked and it wasn't. The order determines the amount of points to each location. 1 for 3 points, 2 for 2 points, and 3 for 1 point. Check again. The spreadsheet accurately shows 3 to Gridania, 2 to Limsa, and 1 to Uldah for both you and Alice. The spreadsheet might seem confusing at first but points are assigned to each column based on how much weight each vote was.

Wait, everybody could vote? Last time I checked, only 25 people could.

WolvenOne

ok guys need to get going on those twintania kills

i95 gear? what? No, we need the illumination module for the house, screw that other stuff.

We're working on it! We've just finished putting Turns 1-4 onto Farm Status, so we're going to start going after Turn 5 in earnest later this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom