• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I play as a healer, and things go south, it's almost always because the tank messed up.

I was running Haukke Manor HM last night and on the first boss the tank was ignoring the adds and just standing in the ice taking tons of damage. Whenever I got aggro I would run over to the tank to make it easy for him to Flash or Overpower, and when he refused to move out of the ice I did everything I could, but the tank still died.

We barely won the fight, with two dead party members at the end, but I felt I did everything I could as the healer. This is an extreme example, but as long as the healer is keeping the party alive to the best of their abilities (and maybe with some good MP conservation), any blame falls on other jobs.

I can't tell you how many times I'm running HM Primals or CT on my WHM and the SCH isn't doing anything other than DPSing. So frustrating to see, yet the SCH claims they're healing if you call them out. Every time I die, the party dies. When the SCH dies, he's back up instantly and we all survive.

The fairy accounts for ~1/3 of most SCH's total healing, give or take, so it's not totally untrue. The guy could be picking his nose and not touching the keyboard and still be 'healing'. :lol

If the fight doesn't require for me to be healing 24/7 or to conserve my mana, I will definitely DPS as SCH. I won't go so far as to say it's a requirement, but it's definitely something a SCH should actively consider because...

• DoTs deal their damage based on whatever state you were in at the time of cast, meaning you can Cleric Stance, toss DoTs out, remove Cleric Stance, and DoTs will tic as if you had it on until they expire
  • It takes a whopping (base)8 seconds to get Bio/BioII/Miasma/Aero on a target
  • You can Lustrate with no penalty while in Cleric Stance, since it's a HP percentage heal
  • The fairy isn't affected by Cleric Stance; you can even hit Rouse beforehand to make up for you not actively healing(and if you're really dexterous, control it manually while DoT-ing via Obey)

If you decide to go full-tilt DPS as SCH and otherwise ignore healing entirely, and whatever you're fighting doesn't require accuracy, you can put some decent numbers on the board. Something like 50~75% of a geared DPS doing their job, give or take (which is like 100% of DPS who don't know how to do their rotations) Obviously I don't recommend this unless there's currently no need for the SCH to heal, but the fairy is clocking in work regardless of what you do.

IMO a skilled SCH can and often should be putting damage out there, because they can maintain decent healing throughput while DPSing. But knowing when to stop is tatamount to this working; if they're tunnel visioning and getting their party wiped because they didn't stop to heal(or realize they need to heal), that's obviously no good.

FWIW, I would probably at least partially DPS on SCH for anything that isn't Coil/Extreme Primals, and probably not while learning a fight(unless it's mega easy).

Also probably not if I'm solo-healer for an 8-man group. :p

Talaysen

Well yes you can DPS if heals aren't needed. The problem is that some healers DPS when they should be healing. I've seen healers do it in 4man dungeons and have died (as tank) because of it.

Torquill

I find Rev Toll handy as a cheap port, but not a home port. Only time I need Togo there is really to spend tomes. Far more often I need retainer, market, GC turnins, etc.

Kenai

Why is Limsa such an attractive place for housing? Is it because LL is a really good place to have your home point?

For outside, the beach/waterfront property. The layout of the map is also pretty good, with houses that slope down to the beach.

As for the inside (and this is a bigger deal to me). the baseline interior matches better with whatever. It's the main reason i prefer it over Gridana since they use a darker wood tone that (imo) works with some furniture but not as much as Limsa. I just plain don't like Uldah's town layout.

• DoTs deal their damage based on whatever state you were in at the time of cast, meaning you can Cleric Stance, toss DoTs out, remove Cleric Stance, and DoTs will tic as if you had it on until they expire
  • It takes a whopping (base)8 seconds to get Bio/BioII/Miasma/Aero on a target
  • You can Lustrate with no penalty while in Cleric Stance, since it's a HP percentage heal
  • The fairy isn't affected by Cleric Stance; you can even hit Rouse beforehand to make up for you not actively healing(and if you're really dexterous, control it manually while DoT-ing via Obey)

Also, some of the SCH dps spells (Shadowflare slow, Miasma disease, Ruin 2 blind) have some nice effects that are capable of mitigating damage if a SMN isn't there or isn't applying them all. I prefer to get a feel for my tanks first though, since between extra time messing with Pet AI and the possibility of my DF pt members being undergeared or having other problems, I don't want to be caught off guard. Even on farm content like WP/AK DF I can run into tanks that need extra care.

Which is fine, a healer needs to always prioritize needed healing above all else, and if their DPSing causes the tank/other pt members to drop (even if it isn't the primary culprit) said healer needs to chill out and focus on their primary job, no question.

I haven't played since September but decided to jump back in 'cause my brother bought it.

Holy fuck, I don't remember any of my combos and shit. I have like 3 hotbars filled with shit I don't remember how to use. Good thing I'll be rolling around with a low level newb for a while to refresh my memory.

When I play as a healer, and things go south, it's almost always because the tank messed up.

I was running Haukke Manor HM last night and on the first boss the tank was ignoring the adds and just standing in the ice taking tons of damage. Whenever I got aggro I would run over to the tank to make it easy for him to Flash or Overpower, and when he refused to move out of the ice I did everything I could, but the tank still died.

We barely won the fight, with two dead party members at the end, but I felt I did everything I could as the healer. This is an extreme example, but as long as the healer is keeping the party alive to the best of their abilities (and maybe with some good MP conservation), any blame falls on other jobs.

I can't tell you how many times I'm running HM Primals or CT on my WHM and the SCH isn't doing anything other than DPSing. So frustrating to see, yet the SCH claims they're healing if you call them out. Every time I die, the party dies. When the SCH dies, he's back up instantly and we all survive.

You need to learn how to stop DPS on Acheron in CT and help kill claws before you go around calling out other people in your party.

frequency

I have had people accuse me of not healing on Scholar but for a lot of trash mobs, Eos/Selene can handle all the healing. Maybe the tank won't be at 100% health all the time but they really don't need to be and honestly I find constantly topping off everyone to be a waste of time/MP most of the time.

Just because you don't see Adloquium being spammed on their cast bar doesn't mean they're not doing their job.

studyguy

The fact that a tank can die on King Behemoth with like 8 healers present always seems absurd if the Tank is dodging everything. Granted the main tank isn't on the party list for each of those healers, but Christ man. CT isn't really the type of place anyone should set a bar for competence. Outside of the single area where your party is shuffled off alone against Atomos, it's always a clusterfuck. I always just try to keep out of the way.

omlet

The fact that a tank can die on King Behemoth with like 8 healers present always seems absurd if the Tank is dodging everything. Granted the main tank isn't on the party list for each of those healers, but Christ man. CT isn't really the type of place anyone should set a bar for competence. Outside of the single area where your party is shuffled off alone against Atomos, it's always a clusterfuck. I always just try to keep out of the way.

By "everything" you just mean Trounce, right? I mean, I've tanked him a few times and haven't seen a way to dodge anything besides that and meteor. Holding hate is easy on him so I just usually spam stoneskin on myself to help the healers.

WolvenOne

Yeeeaaah, I really hope that adding the ability to do 24 person pre-made groups really cuts down on that sort of clustermuckery. I actually think most those boss battles are fun, for the most part. (Tower duty on King Behemoth biiiiites.)

but the fact that Alliances almost never seem to be on the same page, and often end up competing with, or directly undermining eachother, detracts from that. Granted, those sorts of CT runs are their own kind of fun, but I like having the satisfaction of doing my job well.

studyguy

By "everything" you just mean Trounce, right? I mean, I've tanked him a few times and haven't seen a way to dodge anything besides that and meteor. Holding hate is easy on him so I just usually spam stoneskin on myself to help the healers.

Trounce and the forward gust from... what the hell is it called? Chyrablis? Can be dodged. The forward gust has no set AoE pattern but it's a forward cone that does roughly 800dmg iirc. Small potatoes, but I don't like to take chances on KB or most anything I tank in CT. Too often my healers just fuck off and do whatever for some reason when I DF it. I too stoneskin the hell out of myself.

I don't how those tanks die, when a tank in my party chooses to MT KB, as WHM, I usually volunteer to solo heal him and let the other healer take care of everyone else. It usually always goes without any issues.

studyguy

I don't how those tanks die, when a tank in my party chooses to MT KB, as WHM, I usually volunteer to solo heal him and let the other healer take care of everyone else. It usually always goes without any issues.

The same way you see DPS sitting outside the barrier in other phases lol. Apathy is the real enemy in CT. Everyone goes, we'll make it with everyone else doing the work, and when an alliance wipes like 3 times in a row, suddenly everyone cares. Keep that CT Bingo card handy.

omlet

Trounce and the forward gust from... what the hell is it called? Chyrablis? Can be dodged. The forward gust has no set AoE pattern but it's a forward cone that does roughly 800dmg iirc. Small potatoes, but I don't like to take chances on KB or most anything I tank in CT. Too often my healers just fuck off and do whatever for some reason when I DF it. I too stoneskin the hell out of myself.

Chyrablis is the name of the tornado skill he casts around the arena. I use that window to give myself a new stoneskin, usually. You don't need to ever dodge this as MT unless you're tanking him in a really bad spot for some reason because the tornadoes are in set locations.

His other attacks are Thunderbolt (small cone AOE) which you can't dodge and... I forget the name, horn something I think, the one that does a knockback. You can dodge that one? I'm always afraid of spinning him.

studyguy

Chyrablis is the name of the tornado skill he casts around the arena. I use that window to give myself a new stoneskin, usually. You don't need to ever dodge this as MT unless you're tanking him in a really bad spot for some reason because the tornadoes are in set locations.

His other attacks are Thunderbolt (small cone AOE) which you can't dodge and... I forget the name, horn something I think, the one that does a knockback. You can dodge that one? I'm always afraid of spinning him.

As I said, Chyrablis once cast executes a forward AoE grey gust of air that hits while also casting the cyclone on the map somewhere, not saying it's something that needs to be dodged, but you can if you feel like it. Hell you can blind him too for that matter and make everything miss should you luck out. Not advocating doing either, just saying it's possible.

Also I wouldn't spin KB either, I've had DPS who for whatever reason sit right next to me while they attack so if I so much as inch him sideways, I'm afraid they'll get KO'd by accident.

omlet

As I said, Chyrablis once cast executes a forward AoE grey gust of air that hits while also casting the cyclone on the map somewhere, not saying it's something that needs to be dodged, but you can if you feel like it. Hell you can blind him too for that matter and make everything miss should you luck out. Not advocating doing either, just saying it's possible.

Also I wouldn't spin KB either, I've had DPS who for whatever reason sit right next to me while they attack so if I so much as inch him sideways, I'm afraid they'll get KO'd by accident.

Hm, before the first meteor he does the same horn knockback attack without casting the tornado skill, so I think it's two different skills, but I'll have to tank it again and watch for the timing of that attack after chyrablis after first meteor. So you just dodge it by running to the side like for trounce? I do use Flash on him and it's super effective, makes reapplying stoneskin during his autoattacks really easy :v

The same way you see DPS sitting outside the barrier in other phases lol. Apathy is the real enemy in CT. Everyone goes, we'll make it with everyone else doing the work, and when an alliance wipes like 3 times in a row, suddenly everyone cares. Keep that CT Bingo card handy.

The amount of times I've had 2 Nemesis come over and cleave me to death while I was healing my party is far too high. Apathy is why I go in, grab the first BRD/MNK item I see and then retire for the week.

Alucrid

Banned
Yeeeaaah, I really hope that adding the ability to do 24 person pre-made groups really cuts down on that sort of clustermuckery. I actually think most those boss battles are fun, for the most part. (Tower duty on King Behemoth biiiiites.)

but the fact that Alliances almost never seem to be on the same page, and often end up competing with, or directly undermining eachother, detracts from that. Granted, those sorts of CT runs are their own kind of fun, but I like having the satisfaction of doing my job well.
But we've tried 24 man gaf groups

BadRNG

Maybe the tank won't be at 100% health all the time but they really don't need to be and honestly I find constantly topping off everyone to be a waste of time/MP most of the time.
Not enough people get this, outside of bosses or very specific trash mobs you can let tanks get a little low and be completely safe. I love doing dungeons with SCH who dps. Eos and Lustrate will handle nearly every trash pack in the game, which frees SCH to be in Cleric Stance whole time dramatically boosting clear times. Well geared WHM can get similar results with a non-cleric Regen and just stoneskin occasionally inbetween dps.

I have to wonder how healers who don't dps don't get bored, at least when they are in a well geared group. I'd never be able to just stand there doing nothing for half a run.

Sometimes I intentionally pull multiple packs to give them something to do. They don't always respond well. >_>

Full GAF groups are the best and always completely smooth and successful.
We're so good we screw up on purpose to give the mobs a fighting chance.

I have had people accuse me of not healing on Scholar but for a lot of trash mobs, Eos/Selene can handle all the healing. Maybe the tank won't be at 100% health all the time but they really don't need to be and honestly I find constantly topping off everyone to be a waste of time/MP most of the time.

Just because you don't see Adloquium being spammed on their cast bar doesn't mean they're not doing their job.

I totally agree with this. In some of the 4 man dungeons a scholar can leave all of the healing to Eos for trash mobs and help bring them down quicker. Even some boss fights can be left mostly to the fairy (for example demon wall deals almost no damage and players only require a quick cast of leeches and a succor to be topped up occasionally).

Scholars have fairies and DoTs for a reason, this perspective is from an active scholar however. What gets to me is when I see the WHM sitting there doing nothing but waiting for someone to heal when they could be casting aero or stone skin (especially on the players that tend to get hit by AoE). Some fights have a reasonable amount of down time that could be spent being proactive, even as a WHM.

Mature

I totally agree with this. In some of the 4 man dungeons a scholar can leave all of the healing to Eos for trash mobs and help bring them down quicker. Even some boss fights can be left mostly to the fairy (for example demon wall deals almost no damage and players only require a quick cast of leeches and a succor to be topped up occasionally).

Scholars have fairies and DoTs for a reason, this perspective is from an active scholar however. What gets to me is when I see the WHM sitting there doing nothing but waiting for someone to heal when they could be casting aero or stone skin (especially on the players that tend to get hit by AoE). Some fights have a reasonable amount of down time that could be spent being proactive, even as a WHM.
The cool down on Cleric Stance is too short to not use it actively as a WHM.

Also, dev post on the FFXI collaboration.
JP20140116_1.jpg

GAF.

TLDR: Worth playing if I like raiding, epic loot, a good story, and a social community?

-----------

With the arrival of my new gaming system a few days ago- I am now finding myself chomping at the bit for a new MMO.

I have basically decided to either return to EQ2 once more... or dare to challenge myself to break out of my comfort zone and try a new game. I have long burned out on WoW, so that really isn't an option either.

The only other game that intrigues me in this one. I have read through a number of the pages here and my curiosity has been piqued.

I enjoy raiding. I like the challenge of end game content and would like to play with a regular group of players i.e, a guild or free company they are called here? How is the raiding scene compared to say EQ2 and/or WoW?

Speaking of group of players- how is the community? Are people social? Nothing worse than playing an MMO and not a single person interacts. If I wanted that experience, I would like a single player game and pretend the characters are my friends. :)

I enjoy epic loot. I like seeing bright shiny armor. Is there a good variety of armor/weapons in the game to keep the the most addicted loot-hunters at interested?

And how is the story? In WoW, I could care less about the story. I found it boring. I liked all of the ins and outs of the EQ2 lore, the collectibles, etc. I thought it had great story lines. How are they here?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I enjoy epic loot. I like seeing bright shiny armor. Is there a good variety of armor/weapons in the game to keep the the most addicted loot-hunters at interested?
Since going on my reintroduction to this game, I have to say that I've been quite impressed with all the detail and looks of the new equipment. Those artists at SE are very talented. I do wonder, though, if the vertical progression path they're undertaking might be a little too fast this early in the game's lifespan.

Beat the main scenario questline with a speed run pug. I'm currently sitting through the credits - it's gotten to the roll call of the 1.0 players. This is gonna take a while...

But, hey, I did pretty good my first time in Prae, I think. 'course, I died three times (One for not avoiding the giant pulsing AoE during Ultima...to which I was immediately revived into the path of an oncoming laser. Third time was to some random move of Lahabrea's that one-shotted me. I don't even know what happened.), but I got in some good DPS and the pug group commented on it. So yay!

It's officially on to end game content once these credits are done!

Edit: Oh, nvm, you can skip the list of Meteor survivors. =D

Ploid 3.0

GAF.

TLDR: Worth playing if I like raiding, epic loot, a good story, and a social community?

-----------

With the arrival of my new gaming system a few days ago- I am now finding myself chomping at the bit for a new MMO.

I have basically decided to either return to EQ2 once more... or dare to challenge myself to break out of my comfort zone and try a new game. I have long burned out on WoW, so that really isn't an option either.

The only other game that intrigues me in this one. I have read through a number of the pages here and my curiosity has been piqued.

I enjoy raiding. I like the challenge of end game content and would like to play with a regular group of players i.e, a guild or free company they are called here? How is the raiding scene compared to say EQ2 and/or WoW?

There are no big raids yet but crystal tower. Check out videos of that to see if it's to your liking.

Speaking of group of players- how is the community? Are people social? Nothing worse than playing an MMO and not a single person interacts. If I wanted that experience, I would like a single player game and pretend the characters are my friends. :)

The most social as it get are with fate parties from my experience. People that group with you in DF just want the event to be done and it's bye bye after it's over, never to see them again. People also use the people outside of their guild as pawns to practice new battles with. No risk of getting much of a bad name since you may be forgotten. You see when you group in DF you join up with people across multiple servers. Party finder is local server and it may be a lot better with the talking/interacting.

Everyone wears the same armor. When the vanity system is put in the game things will change. Endgame gear is pretty much Darklight - Vanya, Some Crystal Tower raid gear, then Artifact armor 2 - Allagan

Edit: The armors look good, the darklight stuff gets old fast though. My first time seeing it I thought it looked pretty cool, then by the time I hit 50 I was sick of seeing it.

And how is the story? In WoW, I could care less about the story. I found it boring. I liked all of the ins and outs of the EQ2 lore, the collectibles, etc. I thought it had great story lines. How are they here?

No idea on the story, I skipped it all especially in dungeons. Speaking of, if you do dungeons you may want to do it with people that don't mind if you watch the cutscenes, they may get pissed.

Teletraan1

Banned

Depends on the tank and group. I had a tank with terrible gear (4.2k health on a warrior) not dodge anything die on me with just my renew on him while people are dropping the comet things right on top of me while I am heal tanking a giant. Was called a shit healer by this tank and the people in the other groups. When the paladin from the other group with like 7.2k health and 3-5 renews rolling on him tanked him just fine I guess they were right.

scosher

I played WoW from its beta to end of WotLK. If you enjoyed WoW and are a fan of the Final Fantasy series, I think you'll be right at home in this game. There's a lot of things FFXIV falls short in, but it has a lot of potential. Its end-game content is pretty limited at the moment, but the difficulty is well tuned and the mechanics are varied and interesting, which gives me hope that the development team knows what they're doing.

Compared to WoW, these are some of the pros and cons that FFXIV has:

+ Better music (the soundtrack is the best out of all MMO's I've played by far)
+ Better graphics
+ Better story (subjective really, but I never got into WoW's storyline. In WoW, the player was more on the sidelines and the real story involved the NPC. Even when killing the Lich King, you felt more like a minion/soldier for your faction. In FFXIV, the player plays a central part in the story, even if it doesn't really make sense in an MMO-world.)

- Terrible server-side netcode
- Clunkier UI (WoW mainly has the edge because of addon's, which FFXIV will supposedly have down the line)
- Less class customization (I should say no class customization/builds in FFXIV, which sucks for people who like to theorycraft, min/max, or just play around with oddball builds)
- Boring gear stats
- Really terrible PvP...WoW's PvP is very fluid, and requires both twitch reflexes and smart play. It wasn't always balanced, but even in vanilla there was solid counter-class interplay inherent in its design (ie. rogues > warlocks > hunters > mages > warriors > rogues). PvP in FFXIV is just a chaotic mess, with really no semblance of balance at all.

Of all those cons, only PvP is something I see as a lost cause. Don't get this game if you enjoyed arenas/battlegrounds in other MMO's. Every other flaw in the game will surely be improved with each patch.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
+ Better story (subjective really, but I never got into WoW's storyline. In WoW, the player was more on the sidelines and the real story involved the NPC. Even when killing the Lich King, you felt more like a minion/soldier for your faction. In FFXIV, the player plays a central part in the story, even if it doesn't really make sense in an MMO-world.)

This is something I've been thinking about. You are a central figure is a world where most everything you do is meaningless.

Killing Primals? Meaningless. They just keep coming back. Endlessly. The player would have to commit genocide in order for the Primals to truly be stopped. Until SE introduces some story element where a different method of summoning the Primals was used. I don't see it coming any time soon though since Primals continue to be the main evil in the world.

Garland Empire? Many Bases still exist in the mainland that we can't even get to. Gaius' fate means nothing really.

Paragons? Well, we can't kill them. They just continue to float around and plot and scheme. No big.

We are the central character in a world were what we do and what we accomplish has no impact on anything. I hope that the first expansion brings actual change to the world beyond the redesign between 1.0 -> 2.0. Endlessly killing Primals is going to get old. =/

Worth the first free month for sure.
I had an excellent time on my first run to level 50 cap, then trying out endgame dungeons once, the fabulous Crystal Tower (music!) and getting my relic.

After that either stay for the grind, or come back for expansion or when they patch new story stuff.

Think it's to reduce the healing needed on the OT.

Fair enough. Never realized that was ever a problem. Like I really thought someone died and they were wiping it when he took off with the first 2 snakes.

Still need to BOOOO them for no melee dps.

Teknoman

This is something I've been thinking about. You are a central figure is a world where most everything you do is meaningless.

Killing Primals? Meaningless. They just keep coming back. Endlessly. The player would have to commit genocide in order for the Primals to truly be stopped. Until SE introduces some story element where a different method of summoning the Primals was used. I don't see it coming any time soon though since Primals continue to be the main evil in the world.

Garland Empire? Many Bases still exist in the mainland that we can't even get to. Gaius' fate means nothing really.

Paragons? Well, we can't kill them. They just continue to float around and plot and scheme. No big.

We are the central character in a world were what we do and what we accomplish has no impact on anything. I hope that the first expansion brings actual change to the world beyond the redesign between 1.0 -> 2.0. Endlessly killing Primals is going to get old. =/

I can see it going that way if the normal Beast tribe members gain power over the rest due to our actions (with a few stragglers still hanging around the tribe hq areas of course). I mean, just for 2.1, they have Revenant's toll turn into an even bigger village in it's infancy due to the "Thars equipment in that thar tower!" rush.

Seriously, it does remind me of a boom town.

On a related note, does it's music remind anyone else of:

Setzer's theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom