• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Also, while I'm thinking of it.

Goals for Next Week.

Beat Titan EM.

Beat Garuda EM as the Main Tank.

Get Twintania down to 50% or less.

Unlock Dragoon, and level said class to at least Lvl 35.

I think most of these are, fairly modest goals, given everything.

A brief tour of Salt Manor, the new home of Ultros GAF. Note that decorating is still in progress but there's a lot of stuff in our house already!

The exterior of our glorious mansion.
gafmanor.jpg

Taking a little break.
gafmanor2.jpg

Now that no one speedruns Wanderer's Palace anymore, we put in our own Tonberry Experience to remember it.
gafmanor3.jpg

The still-fiery head of Ifrit heats up the decor of the main floor.
gafmanor4.jpg

This is the all-important hot tub room. We have the dauntless vision of Elliott Kirkland to thank for this amazing room in our house.
gafmanor5.jpg

Zomba13

Dunno what is going on but this week doing CT it's been a lagfest. Every CT has been super laggy. A second or two pause every few seconds. Nothing changed on my end, still getting speeds I should etc.

Khatoz

Ahhh we got Twintania to 50% tonight. The group adapts pretty fast though so I think we can do it.

Congrats! Keep going at it, the hard part of the fight its next, but only because there is so many abilities that can instant kill anyone, just keep calm and you'll get pass them.

Reknoc

king slime would have been so cool :(

Before the crossover was an actual thing I was talking to someone about how my ideal DQ crossover event would be;

2 stage fate (because obv it would have to be a fate): Fight a bunch of slimes then when thats done they all merge into a King Slime.

Don't think I mentioned any sort of reward but Slime minion was a given.

alas

studyguy

Got past conflag phase on Twin last week. Whooo. Hopefully we can keep that momentum going this week.

Awesome. Conflag is like the first big hurdle on Twin.
Divebombs are all just about practice, if you can burn the conflags, you can absolutely burn the snakes. Keep at it!

On a side note one of our team refuses to use the hidey-hole method.
Chooses to run in the middle of the field, always hilarious to see a lala running around dodging divebombs, he's gotten really good at it.

You know I got a lot of grief for changing the exterior walls of the house which made me contemplate many things. But nobody was able to get on top of that balcony until I made the place look like the Addams' Family house. I would file a complaint but clearly that wouldn't solve anything! D:

#RoegadynRights

Anyone on a PC prefer to use their controller instead of the KBM combination? I use Steam Big Picture a lot to play various platformers with my PS3 controller- I am a little intrigued about playing this with a controller.

Do you feel limited/hampered by using a controller? Should I stick to the conventional KBM controls?

Just curious how others experiences are.

DrDogg

As a SCH that DPSes in CT (and other places), that's because having both of us heal is honestly a waste sometimes (for example, if our tank isn't MTing the raid). WHM has better aoe heals, so leaving the incidental damage to my fairy and the WHM seems like a good idea to me.

Of course, I still throw out lustrates, and if people start dying that's generally a cue that maybe the WHM can't solo heal it and it's time to switch back.

But hey, if you want to DPS instead, just say the word and I'm sure most DPSing SCHs will let you take a turn (just watch your MP).

I don't mind if a SCH is DPSing when they know how to switch between DPS and healing when necessary. Unfortunately that rarely happens, especially in PUG groups. I play WHM because I enjoy main healing, but when my MP starts running low, we don't have a BRD, and life bars are getting low... the SCH needs to drop Cleric Stance and help. That doesn't happen very often, and when I go down, the SCH isn't raising me half the time.

The fairy accounts for ~1/3 of most SCH's total healing, give or take, so it's not totally untrue. The guy could be picking his nose and not touching the keyboard and still be 'healing'. :lol

If the fight doesn't require for me to be healing 24/7 or to conserve my mana, I will definitely DPS as SCH. I won't go so far as to say it's a requirement, but it's definitely something a SCH should actively consider because...

• DoTs deal their damage based on whatever state you were in at the time of cast, meaning you can Cleric Stance, toss DoTs out, remove Cleric Stance, and DoTs will tic as if you had it on until they expire
  • It takes a whopping (base)8 seconds to get Bio/BioII/Miasma/Aero on a target
  • You can Lustrate with no penalty while in Cleric Stance, since it's a HP percentage heal
  • The fairy isn't affected by Cleric Stance; you can even hit Rouse beforehand to make up for you not actively healing(and if you're really dexterous, control it manually while DoT-ing via Obey)

If you decide to go full-tilt DPS as SCH and otherwise ignore healing entirely, and whatever you're fighting doesn't require accuracy, you can put some decent numbers on the board. Something like 50~75% of a geared DPS doing their job, give or take (which is like 100% of DPS who don't know how to do their rotations) Obviously I don't recommend this unless there's currently no need for the SCH to heal, but the fairy is clocking in work regardless of what you do.

IMO a skilled SCH can and often should be putting damage out there, because they can maintain decent healing throughput while DPSing. But knowing when to stop is tatamount to this working; if they're tunnel visioning and getting their party wiped because they didn't stop to heal(or realize they need to heal), that's obviously no good.

FWIW, I would probably at least partially DPS on SCH for anything that isn't Coil/Extreme Primals, and probably not while learning a fight(unless it's mega easy).

Also probably not if I'm solo-healer for an 8-man group. :p

When I heal with Shin Ryujin on his SCH, we take on everything without a problem. But we're also talking on Skype and making sure we know what's going on at all times. We've saved several CT runs with that duo. As I said above, that rarely happens because most SCH players don't want to heal.

Well yes you can DPS if heals aren't needed. The problem is that some healers DPS when they should be healing. I've seen healers do it in 4man dungeons and have died (as tank) because of it.

^THIS

You need to learn how to stop DPS on Acheron in CT and help kill claws before you go around calling out other people in your party.

So... you party with me ONE time and miss me fighting claws, and you want to call me out. Even if I wasn't fighting claws (I engaged two during that fight), the claws died and the boss was defeated without issue. It's certainly not an indication of my player skill, especially since you only had one experience partying with me. Do you know how many times I've died to those claws while the entire party ignores me?

Why don't you get off your high horse and actually party with me more than one time before you start making wild claims? I tried to talk to you about this after the fact but you ran offline. I guess you'd rather call me out here instead of talking about it at the time? Either drop it, or party with me more before you make ridiculous claims like this.

frequency

I use a controller on PC (PS3 controller) and I very much prefer it to KB/M.

It is a little limited with things like quick targeting and number of hotkeys. But I have learned to play with the controller/mouse. So I can take my hand off the controller and click something with the mouse quickly when I need to.

I've had no issues at all playing this way and I very much prefer it to KB/M. Being able to play effectively with a controller is one of the major reasons I am still playing this game rather than going back to another that I find better designed in almost every way.

Anyone on a PC prefer to use their controller instead of the KBM combination? I use Steam Big Picture a lot to play various platformers with my PS3 controller- I am a little intrigued about playing this with a controller.

Do you feel limited/hampered by using a controller? Should I stick to the conventional KBM controls?

I feel slightly hampered when I'm playing on pad in combat as SMN because not everything I need fits on one hotbar but I've been able to manage quite fine. Otherwise, playing on the controller for the PC hasn't hindered me in any way.

Sophia

Using both a 360 gamepad and the Dualshock 4 on PC. I played pretty much exclusively on controller, and have tanked most endgame fights with no problem at all. The biggest issues with the controller were sorted out with the 2.1 patch.

I use a controller on PC (PS3 controller) and I very much prefer it to KB/M.

It is a little limited with things like quick targeting and number of hotkeys. But I have learned to play with the controller/mouse. So I can take my hand off the controller and click something with the mouse quickly when I need to.

I've had no issues at all playing this way and I very much prefer it to KB/M. Being able to play effectively with a controller is one of the major reasons I am still playing this game rather than going back to another that I find better designed in almost every way.

Definitely prefer the controller, even on the PC. There are a few instances where it can be a pain (e.g. navigating the menus, enemy targeting filters, etc.), but the majority of my playtime has been with a pad. I still use a K/M for specific menus and chatting, but normally it's just a matter of convenience rather than usability. I'd rather slap bumpers to toggle hotbars than put four of them on my screen.

creid

I've played mostly DPS but am starting to dabble a little in healing, and I haven't felt hampered by the controller much. If you'd prefer to play with a controller, it's certainly viable.

studyguy

Proof that I was in the 1.0 beta. :eek: I found this today in a random folder.

1.0 beta was open, so it wasn't too big of a deal.
Honestly the way 1.0 worked after release, there were massive changes month after month. Hell we didn't even have true enmity tables when 1.0 launched. Enemies just pingpong across parties hitting whoever, not even the highest damaging party member.

Also leveling your physical level to 50 (or was it like 35?? 40??)) in like an hour with a group of THM or CNJ whatever it was... by casting spells on eachtother was hilarious.

aceface

While we're talking scholar... Every scholar has the fairy on obey for endgame healing right? That's what I was told so I've been practicing healing with her manually in the early dungeons.

Aeana

1.0 beta was open, so it wasn't too big of a deal.
Honestly the way 1.0 worked after release, there were massive changes month after month. Hell we didn't even have true enmity tables when 1.0 launched. Enemies just pingpong across parties hitting whoever, not even the highest damaging party member.

Also leveling your physical level to 50 in like an hour with a group of THM or CNJ whatever it was... by casting spells on eachtother was hilarious.
It amazes me how the game could be like that at launch after FF11.

WolvenOne

It amazes me how the game could be like that at launch after FF11.

Executive mandates. That was probably the height of managerial incompetence at Square. They still have a ways to go mind you, but they do seem to be improving in, "some," respects at least. (Not others though.)

Lucis

Also, while I'm thinking of it.

Goals for Next Week.

Beat Titan EM.

Beat Garuda EM as the Main Tank.

Get Twintania down to 50% or less.

Unlock Dragoon, and level said class to at least Lvl 35.

I think most of these are, fairly modest goals, given everything.

Oh you are darkness tear ;o
you can do all those this week instead of next!
I'll just let you mt garuda next farm run ;o

Definitely prefer the controller, even on the PC. There are a few instances where it can be a pain (e.g. navigating the menus, enemy targeting filters, etc.), but the majority of my playtime has been with a pad. I still use a K/M for specific menus and chatting, but normally it's just a matter of convenience rather than usability. I'd rather slap bumpers to toggle hotbars than put four of them on my screen.

Thanks! (And to everyone else who chimed in!) I'll look to start playing on Ultros then :)

Picking a class isn't going to be as easy ha. DRG, BRD, and BLM all look pretty fun. I'm too nervous to play a healer or tank class without knowing the dungeons/fights :p

Oh you are darkness tear ;o
you can do all those this week instead of next!
I'll just let you mt garuda next farm run ;o

Haha. Also, I played on my PC and one shotted Garuda EX as MT. So once I fix my PC location situation I could do it without problem. Or maybe if I get a PS4 first. PS3 version is just ridiculously bad as a MT. The framerate and for some reason I never see the second teleport before 2xWW when the tornados pop up. So much lag. :/ Maybe I'll check google and see if there are some settings on PS3 to remedy this. Turning everything off changed nothing. D:

Edit: First result http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/133411-PS3-Garuda-Extreme-Extreme-Performance-Issues Looks like it was accepted as a bug? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom