• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaX

I don't think I've ever had too many problems with the Spiny being blown up by DPS.

I was in a Party Finder group where the SMN bane'd the spiny plume when Garuda was literally at 1% health.

... Yeah, that guy was not too popular in the group after that.

Isaccard

It's better than any AoE SMN has if you don't have the time (or can't) to bane.

Decent aoe and it inflicts heavy on a target. Expensive so you can't spam it unless you're a BLM. For a group of enemies, Shadow Flare, Miasma 2 and Blizzard 2 do great...along with the usual dots.

I'd argue that it's only use cross class would be for its bind effect, and Summoners have Tri-disaster for that. Blizzard 2 also requires close proximity to be effective. 212 MP per cast for 50 potency, I wouldn't use it as a summoner personally :/

Sophia

I was in a Party Finder group where the SMN bane'd the spiny plume when Garuda was literally at 1% health.

... Yeah, that guy was not too popular in the group after that.

Man if anyone ever did that in my group they'd quickly find themselves on the receiving of a very nasty remark. Luckily, I run with my free company mostly, who all have tons of experience from WoW or TOR and know better.

Zomba13

I'd argue that it's only use cross class would be for its bind effect, and Summoners have Tri-disaster for that. Blizzard 2 also requires close proximity to be effective. 212 MP per cast for 50 potency, I wouldn't use it as a summoner personally :/

And Tri-Disaster is 266mp for 30 pote. Blizz 2 is a much better AoE for damage.

Also around 1 sec faster to cast.

kierwynn

I am queen of the newly completed interactive WP meets AV portion of the endgame dungeon experience.

qLwCT8p.jpg

Anyone got advice for completing Haukke HM? First boss is a real pain..

The mechanic of that fight that most people don't realize is that the DPS should spread the skeleton adds out before killing them.

That way, it's harder for groups of them to be in the summoning circle and takes much longer for the big one to spawn.

Of course you can just brute force through if your gear is there, but that's the reason a lot of folks don't know the trick to it.

EDIT: Looking at Tek's 1.0 images made me sad how much the graphics had to take a hit for ARR. The lighting is leagues better in ARR but 1.0's texture and shader quality were much better. PS3 couldn't hack it so the downgrade was needed but damn, if it could have had 1.0's image quality and ARR's lighting and environments. :(

Khatoz

So the Trophy room or The Eorzea Dungeon Experience for the GAF Ultros FC house is finally done.

The entrance:

As you can see here are representations of some of the most dangerous and demonic creatures in Eorzea.

The worst of all, the Moogle! So exotic and dangerous that we could only get a rug of it.

The full view for the demonic exhibit:

The Tonberries hunting a baby Morbol.. or are they...(Aka The WP vs AV experience):

And finally the WAR Room:

And no that's not a Magitek Doll, it's a Magitek Strategy Action figure!

Thanks everyone who helped out in the creation of this room!

MogCakes

I'm surprised to see there's actually hate for SMNs. That explains some of the heat I got my first time doing Titan.

First off, I am a SMN.

Second, on fights like Siren or HM Ultima, having two of them can suck when there are phases that need burst damage in a hurry. And it's really rare to find a SMN that knows what they're doing so the mediocre ones stick out more than other dps jobs.

I second this. SMN isn't a super difficult class but it requires the player to be attentive and I've seen too many players that just spam ruin/ruinII over and over or completely neglect to heal/revive anyone in need if the healer's preoccupied. To play the class well the player needs to have a level of situational awareness that just isn't present in a lot of people who probably just want to get on and enjoy the sparkly effects without having to think much. It's not so different from WHM in that regard (I had a healer recently who decided it would be great to just heal once every 15 seconds or so, we wiped multiple times to say the least).

For example (for anyone not familiar with SMN), at the start of a fight, a SMN's action is primarily DoT/Fester/Ruin/II rotations with either Garuda/Cast-Carby or Ifrit out and pet buffs. If at any moment the healer is preoccupied keeping the tank alive and the other DPS is dead or the healer themselves are about to die with the tank in middling health, the SMN can halt and heal the WHM/SCH or tank depending on who the healer is targeting at that moment. They can revive dead members while the healer is preoccupied. Lastly, in the event that the tank is unable to aggro mobs in time or if it's the party's first time in a dungeon and they find themselves ambushed by adds in a boss fight, the SMN can summon Titan and take aggro off the healer.

Played well they can fulfill both roles (of course not as a replacement for true supports) effectively. Unfortunately, not a lot of people I've seen have the attentiveness required to pull it off. Also as mentioned having 2 SMNs in a party becomes a bit of a wash because their DPS isn't immediate like other classes in the category.

I hardly ever see many SMN's, they seem pretty rare still. Lots and lots of SCH's though. Thank goodness, being in a party with 2 SMN's can be a drag.

BRD's and MNK's seem to be more popular.

Monks used to be rare until people stopped sucking and realized that they're ridiculously strong.

Ken

No one is using it for damage though.

Uh, yes? If I have to AOE (damage) and bane is off limits I'm not going to sit around casting tri-disaster.

There's like only two encounters where I would ever use tri-disaster, and in both it's not for its damage.

MechaX

Uh, yes? If I have to AOE (damage) and bane is off limits I'm not going to sit around casting tri-disaster.

There's like only two encounters where I would ever use tri-disaster, and in both it's not for its damage.

Coming from someone who just learned Tri-Disaster on a SMN alt, I'm curious as to what those two times would be.

Ken

Coming from someone who just learned Tri-Disaster on a SMN alt, I'm curious as to what those two times would be.

Cheesing Garuda HM plumes and WP speed runs.

Anyways, if the argument is which has a better bind, it's obviously Tri-Disaster; there's really no contest between the two.However, if the argument is which move should be the SMN's go to "traditional" AOE damage move, it's probably Blizzard 2. 20 potency more, almost a full second faster, same effective radius and 54 mana less is why I would spam that over Tri-Disaster. Yes, it lacks range but sometimes it's okay for a SMN to run into melee range and do their stuff. As a bonus, Miasma 2 sets up for Blizzard 2 pretty well.

I'm surprised to see there's actually hate for SMNs. That explains some of the heat I got my first time doing Titan.

I second this. SMN isn't a super difficult class but it requires the player to be attentive and I've seen too many players that just spam ruin/ruinII over and over or completely neglect to heal/revive anyone in need if the healer's preoccupied. To play the class well the player needs to have a level of situational awareness that just isn't present in a lot of people who probably just want to get on and enjoy the sparkly effects without having to think much. It's not so different from WHM in that regard (I had a healer recently who decided it would be great to just heal once every 15 seconds or so, we wiped multiple times to say the least).

For example (for anyone not familiar with SMN), at the start of a fight, a SMN's action is primarily DoT/Fester/Ruin/II rotations with either Garuda/Cast-Carby or Ifrit out and pet buffs. If at any moment the healer is preoccupied keeping the tank alive and the other DPS is dead or the healer themselves are about to die with the tank in middling health, the SMN can halt and heal the WHM/SCH or tank depending on who the healer is targeting at that moment. They can revive dead members while the healer is preoccupied. Lastly, in the event that the tank is unable to aggro mobs in time or if it's the party's first time in a dungeon and they find themselves ambushed by adds in a boss fight, the SMN can summon Titan and take aggro off the healer.

Played well they can fulfill both roles (of course not as a replacement for true supports) effectively. Unfortunately, not a lot of people I've seen have the attentiveness required to pull it off. Also as mentioned having 2 SMNs in a party becomes a bit of a wash because their DPS isn't immediate like other classes in the category.

Well SMN's heals are pretty bad so us healing the healer is like a super super last resort. SMN's should be the first to revive dead party members, that's a ton of mp for a healer, especially a WHM to lose. Too often I see SMN's that don't revive and it drives me up a wall, especially when I play WHM and mana is at a premium.

Zomba13

Yeah. When I use Blizz 2 for AoE damage it's because Bane has been cast (spreading my DoTs to the targets) and there are more than two-three enemies and it's a place where people will AoE (like WP with bigish pulls or some of the CT fights) so blizz II/tri-disaster for the bind is useless as it'll get knocked right off and isn't needed. Also Blizz II, when Dot's have been pased around, is better than casting Ruin on a single target. Why hit for like 250+ish or whatever on a single target when I can hit 200ish on 4 or 5? Plus my DoTs etc. Tri-Disaster is a waste of MP for that.

Better to deal a little less damage to a bunch of mobs than a little more damage to one.

Also I never heal (unless shit has hit all of the fans) because my heal sucks. I will revive people as soon as they go down if I have swiftcast up.

MogCakes

Well SMN's heals are pretty bad so us healing the healer is like a super super last resort. SMN's should be the first to revive dead party members, that's a ton of mp for a healer, especially a WHM to lose. Too often I see SMN's that don't revive and it drives me up a wall, especially when I play WHM and mana is at a premium.

It at least keeps the healer alive and lets them focus on keeping the tank alive by proxy.

Also I never heal (unless shit has hit all of the fans) because my heal sucks. I will revive people as soon as they go down if I have swiftcast up.

That's pretty much what our heal is for. We aren't main healers, but the ability to help is a boon. If a mate's low on health and the healer's preoccupied with someone else, you're just gonna let'em bite it? Hell no, you heal them once to keep them alive until the healer gets to them.

Maybe it's different at endgame if there's less near-death states and more OHKO.

Ken

It at least keeps the healer alive and lets them focus on keeping the tank alive by proxy.

That's pretty much what our heal is for. We aren't main healers, but the ability to help is a boon. If a mate's low on health and the healer's preoccupied with someone else, you're just gonna let'em bite it? Hell no, you heal them once to keep them alive until the healer gets to them.

Maybe it's different at endgame if there's less near-death states and more OHKO.

As a SMN my physick is doing about 400 heals to 600 crits so it's not the worst thing in the world, for sure.

WolvenOne

So, I've been wondering. I've been using a 360 controller to play the game, and for the most part it works fantastically. However, I have gotten into trouble on several occasions because of the Dad.

In order to reduce the amount of juggling I have to do between various Crossbars, I've mapped every high use action to the crossbar you select upon holding the right trigger. That means, rotations and tomahawk go to the face buttons, and provoke, stun, fracture, and mercy strike go to the D-pad.

The problem is that the 360 controller, sometimes screws up. Hit the right quickly, and left will go off as well, press up and down will go of upon depressing.

I've considered remapping things, but every other arrangement would drastically increase juggling and complicate the set up, and to prevent misfiring provoke on my current controller I have to use the dpad slowly and carefully.

So, what I'm wondering about, is whether I should purchase a dual shock 4 for my PC. Do they work well in that environment, are they compatible with a fair number of steam games? And how much do those little blue tooth adaptors cost?

Sorian

Banned
So, I've been wondering. I've been using a 360 controller to play the game, and for the most part it works fantastically. However, I have gotten into trouble on several occasions because of the Dad.

In order to reduce the amount of juggling I have to do between various Crossbars, I've mapped every high use action to the crossbar you select upon holding the right trigger. That means, rotations and tomahawk go to the face buttons, and provoke, stun, fracture, and mercy strike go to the D-pad.

The problem is that the 360 controller, sometimes screws up. Hit the right quickly, and left will go off as well, press up and down will go of upon depressing.

I've considered remapping things, but every other arrangement would drastically increase juggling and complicate the set up, and to prevent misfiring provoke on my current controller I have to use the dpad slowly and carefully.

So, what I'm wondering about, is whether I should purchase a dual shock 4 for my PC. Do they work well in that environment, are they compatible with a fair number of steam games? And how much do those little blue tooth adaptors cost?

Use a keyboard and mouse for MMOs like god intended.

This is the kind of game where you can get away with a pad on the PC. I've been able to handle nearly every fight the game has thrown at me on the pad, only thing left really is Twintania.

WolvenOne

To each their own, I promise you though, you are using more muscle memory on that horrid controller set-up.

I've been using controllers, nearly everyday, since I was three. Trust me, relearning how to play on a keyboard would have a vastly steeper learning curve for me.

Besides, when it comes to dodging AoE, I think controllers actually trump the keyboard and mouse setup.

Aeana

Lord, not another control method supremacy discussion. Nobody is better than anybody else just because of the control method they use. The game has been out for months, content has been easily cleared with both control methods.

Has anyone else here experienced major lag spikes after 2.1? I downloaded WTFast and it was working for about a week and now i still get lag spikes.. Im on fios as well. Has anyone heard if or when there's a fix?

Sorian

Banned
Lord, not another control method supremacy discussion. Nobody is better than anybody else just because of the control method they use. The game has been out for months, content has been easily cleared with both control methods.

For the sake of argument, just because current content has been cleared by both methods doesn't mean that both methods are equal. They would be bad devs if they placed content that could realistically only be cleared by one method when both were placed, purposely, into the game. That being said, the odds of both methods being exactly the same on a hierarchy is slim so one is probably better than the other.

Aeana

For the sake of argument, just because current content has been cleared by both methods doesn't mean that both methods are equal. They would be bad devs if they placed content that could realistically only be cleared by one method when both were placed, purposely, into the game. That being said, the odds of both methods being exactly the same on a hierarchy is slim so one is probably better than the other.
Let it go.

Has anyone else here experienced major lag spikes after 2.1? I downloaded WTFast and it was working for about a week and now i still get lag spikes.. Im on fios as well. Has anyone heard if or when there's a fix?

I have a free company member who is on FiOS and having problems as well.

I'm on comcast, and I'm not having any issues with lag.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

Interesting read. I've been thinking of going SMN when not WHM as a lot of the situational stuff strikes me as being fun. I just like various things being tossed at me that I need to assess and react to. How are the attribute points allocated as SMN? With this back and forth of responsibilities are they more spread out among various stats?

Zomba13

So, about replacing my 360 controller with a PS4 controller. Thoughts? Things I should be aware of?

If you use the xinput wrapper (very simple install and then you just run the thing when you have the DS4 connected and it acts like a 360 pad) then it's great, everything the same. All buttons work right and it's awesome.

Without the wrapper some of the buttons are mixed up (so if you hold R2 and press Triangle it wouldn't hit what RT and Y is set at).

Speaking of all this class talk- I still haven't picked one to play. :( I am not confident enough to play a healer or tank class- so that leaves DPS.

DRG looks neat, but from what everyone seems to be saying- they dont offer much utility.
BRD seems good, however- it seems that there are tons of them running around.
BLM seems fun, but- is there much utility? Also from what I read here and other fan sites, it is a pretty crowded class too.

Granted, I am having a hard time deciding what I want for dinner. What an indecisive day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom