• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
No penalty at all, no worries.

Death awaits you, friend.

brb going to go die now.

Yeah, being a gimp healer for 59 seconds and then pulling out a decent damage nuke for 1 second sure is a lot better than actually doing something useful in a fight.

Can't really compare the times as FFXI is a lot slower than this game, but even though Summoner wasn't perfect in that game, it was a lot more fun to me. I do prefer flashy strong attacks over debuffs. I also miss astral flow and using the actual summons outside of Carbuncle. I even miss using Odin, which sucked, but getting a nice free 8000 damage in Voidwatch was awesome.

No, I wouldn't say your gear is good enough yet. You should get some darklight pieces and a weapon from either Ifrit or Garuda hard modes.

All right, I'll focus on that. Thanks.

Esura

Banned
Level up Pugilist a few levels and you can use Second Wind which heals you via TP. Has a higher recast than Cure, but still good stuff.

Could I use that with an Archer? Or do they have their own healing abilities?

I kind of like the leveling progression rather than doing end game stuff, sure I'd like to do some of those contents since I like fighting bosses in mmos, but it's just very different styles and intent (grind the dungeons a bunch, upgrade gears etc). Leveling other classes allow you to learn different playstyles and how those classes are played so you know how to help other people do their job better when you jump back to your main, I think it's fun.

People aren't as grumpy with the lower level contents too so that's also a plus.

Ah, I didn't think about it like that but it would benefit me to be familiar with other classes as a healer. Although with as addicting as Tharma has been right now I don't know if I want to go back...

Taruranto

Not a fan of FFXIV summoner either.

I mean, I appreciate that the job is finally useful, but... I don't like what they did to it. SMN shouldn't be about dots, it should be about a display of power.

DJIzana

Not a fan of FFXIV summoner either.

I mean, I appreciate that the job is finally useful, but... I don't like what they did to it. SMN shouldn't be about dots, it should be about a display of power.

No kidding... I was pretty excited about it but now to see how they dumbed it down and how it's not like FFXI's summoner, is really disappointing.

Funny too because I never enjoy caster classes in games and that's the only one that interested me. Oh well, I'm working on leveling my Pugilist next.

DragonHunterG

Neo Member
summoner seems like a good job although i'd probably never play it myself. i do find it somewhat annoying when they put those bubbles up and it makes it hard to see attacks and while visually its very cool, also distracting.

Was able to make HQ Cotton Work Gloves with normal mats earlier today, now I can't seem to do it at all, even after leveling up and getting better gear. Nothing seems to work.

Is a relic worth your dignity though? Bought relics are forever NQ relics to me, I give my friend shit all the time for it.

The excitement of getting your (legitimate) Titan win is one of the best feelings I had on a videogame. I feel sad for all those who just buy their win, because their missing one of the most magical moments of the game,

RE: Speed Runs

It seems there's quite a lot of hate towards speed runners, but let's imagine that the end-game farm didn't require story dungeon. Then suddenly, it becomes much harder for people to find help to progress in their story. I can just similarly say, if you want to watch cutscene create your own cutscene party. Obviously creating cutscene parties would be MUCH harder. I think it's a necessary evil at this point.

If ppl choose DF to do their SR, they should deal with the possibles outcomes, that is encountering ppl which is their first time and they want to enjoy the history. The "Just watch it at your inn" is so incredibly stupid and missing the whole point of playing a game that I found it almost offensive. I never ask for new ppl to skip CS, I can wait a few minutes more to end CM.

Shit, sometimes the drama that surrounds some runs is worst than the times losed on ppl watching cs....

chrono01

The drama surrounding Castrum Meridianum and The Praetorium are one of the reasons why I run Amdapor Keep over and over again weekly for my Tomes.

Yes, it's not the optimum way...but at least the atmosphere is more "relaxed" [at least from my experience]. I've read quite a bit about people "trolling" the DF in the other two instances [going /afk after it begins] for easy Tomes, and I haven't yet experienced that in AK [thankfully].

DragonHunterG

Neo Member
ive had pretty good experiences at AK ever since i got "geared properly". the first two times i went i was told to leave and basically not try this dungeon until i had better dps. which in one way may have been true, in another way, i think the other people weren't willing to pick up their game a notch.

Ken

u guys i love odin gr8 experience 5/5 would do again

jbcm5fpIxqe3xL.png

Haint

Is it weird that I decided to just level up DPS classes instead of trying to attempt to get Darklight for my WHM and do all that seemingly boring endgame stuff? I was going to try leveling up Tharm and Archer as my next big classes but I decided to raise up Puglist to 15 for Archer real quick before I unlock that class.

But playing with Tharm and Pug I noticed I'm gaining levels really fast in the earlier levels and I'm mowing down (low leveled) enemies left and right. Shit, no wonder everyone is DPSing, it's freaking fun. Need to probably carry some potions on me now though since I can't just Cure/Physick myself anymore...

I would actually say a majority of FFXI's players for a majority of its lifespan focused primarily on leveling different jobs and unlocking the story content. I don't think anyone played that game for 3, 4, or 5+ years straight to do Sky, Dynamis, or Sea. This is a problem XIV is going to have to deal with, cause honestly, leveling additional jobs here could not be any more unrewarding. When you can do 1-50 in like a week of Fates (saying nothing of how mind numbingly boring it is), there is virtually no sense of accomplishment and it ultimately feels meaningless. This is a very very big problem for a game that aims to keep people paying $15 a month for years.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Woo-Hoo Titan down with my FC

Jesus Relic+1 & Allagan/AF+1 makes Titan a fn cake walk

I'm 400 Tomes short from relic (bought hands yesterday for PLD >_<, fuuuuuuuuuu), already have +1 item ready lol

Do I need to do anything from relic to relic+1 as a per-requisite?

BLCKATK

Woo-Hoo Titan down with my FC

Jesus Relic+1 & Allagan/AF+1 makes Titan a fn cake walk

I'm 400 Tomes short from relic (bought hands yesterday for PLD >_<, fuuuuuuuuuu), already have +1 item ready lol

Do I need to do anything from relic to relic+1 as a per-requisite?

3 Thavarian Mist, which cost 300 Mythology Tomes each

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I would actually say a majority of FFXI's players for a majority of its lifespan focused primarily on leveling different jobs and unlocking the story content. I don't think anyone played that game for 3, 4, or 5+ years straight to do Sky, Dynamis, or Sea. This is a problem XIV is going to have to deal with, cause honestly, leveling additional jobs here could not be any more unrewarding. When you can do 1-50 in like a week of Fates (saying nothing of how mind numbingly boring it is), there is virtually no sense of accomplishment and it ultimately feels meaningless. This is a very very big problem for a game that aims to keep people paying $15 a month for years.

I can see this. The game offers what XI did (multiple classes, have everything on one character) but now it has a WoW-like structure to it where after you finish the quests, you're left with the FATEs to level up everything else. I can see this getting kind of boring, especially since dungeons don't offer great xp to continue leveling through them.

I spoke with a FC member today who had an alt. I thought I was the only one to do that, but I guess not. He stated that it was better for him to make an alt to level up (as he felt quests mixed with dungeons and fate) made for a better experience. I have to kind of agree in a way. Was an interesting idea. I was going it for a change of pace in terms of race but yeah, that makes sense too.

KeRaSh

Does anyone else have problems logging in to FFXIV on their PS3? The launcher keeps giving me an error saying the server is not responding...
Checked my internet connection and it seems perfectly fine...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Finally made it to level 50 tonight... started off at 47 earlier today and rather than finish the story I grinded past 49 to 50. Going to tackle CM tomorrow I think.

gc2.png

gatti-man

Finally made it to level 50 tonight... started off at 47 earlier today and rather than finish the story I grinded past 49 to 50. Going to tackle CM tomorrow I think.

gc2.png

Another bard? At this rate bards will outnumber every other class 4 to 1.

Dumbarse question, where do I go to collect all the money I've made from selling on the market board?

It's in the menu where you are talking to your retainer. It says add or withdraw gill. The bell to talk to your retainer is marked by a small bell on your minimap.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah I'm there doing Fates. Guess I should make an effort to join a Fate party.

I was doing them solo but you level so much faster in a group.

Another bard? At this rate bards will outnumber every other class 4 to 1.

It's in the menu where you are talking to your retainer. It says add or withdraw gill.

I wanted to play a range class. If they offer a gunner class later on I'll switch to that.

Esura

Banned

If you team up with a fun non-serious party FATEs can be fun. Most of the time in between FATEs we'd chew the fat about SAO or Kill la Kill or talk about the hottest races in the game and other stuff and still get hella EXP. Oh and talk about favorite FFs.

Congratulations! How'd you mange to get to 50 from 47 so fast?

Probably that Dark Devices FATEs in North Thanalan. So good...

gatti-man

I was doing them solo but you level so much faster in a group.

I wanted to play a range class. If they offer a gunner class later on I'll switch to that.

Oh I know you aren't doing it bc it's fotm but at endgame it's not uncommon to have entire bard parties with a tank and heal. Bards are everywhere.

adixon

Dark Devices is good. There's also a chimera FATE that spawns in N. Thanalan that gives amazing xp too.

And it's quite fun too. I like walking through the aftermath of that FATE, the ground littered with corpses. More FATEs should really be like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom