• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandoric

Banned
I'm not speaking about trash mobs at all.

See but with my rotation it allows for movement much more than ice 3 does. Also trance, ice, thunder, gives me full mp. Then I just hit a proc'd fire 3 and it's back to full fire 3 however if I don't have a proc'd fire 3 and don't proc one with my first fire my dps does suffer. I'd say that happens 1/5 to 1/6 rotations.

Saving procced Firaga to reopen is really, really bad. Even if you're getting it from your last Fire every time and not losing potential procs, you're still losing a 396-potency instacast from the end of your rotation.

Also, hey, wait. You need that first Blizzard after Trance for your MP recovery, right? How are you not having your huge interruption problems with that, when it takes 50% longer to cast than a Blizzaga and does slightly less damage?

See but with my rotation it allows for movement much more than ice 3 does. Also trance, ice, thunder, gives me full mp. Then I just hit a proc'd fire 3 and it's back to full fire 3 however if I don't have a proc'd fire 3 and don't proc one with my first fire my dps does suffer. I'd say that happens 1/5 to 1/6 rotations.

The trash mobs part of what I wrote was in regards to fire 2. You had originally said there is zero reason to be using fire 2 and I took that as no reason to cast EVER, if it was just in regards to single target rotations then my apologies!

As for how you do it, however floats your boat I guess man. On Garuda and Titan I haven't had an issue where I felt transposing would be more beneficial, it's never been an issue to get Blizzard 3 off with its reduced cast time. I also firmly believe your rotation shouldn't be based off of a 40% Proc still being up in the recharge phase.

I'd honestly say I only transpose on boss fights if I mess up my rotation(I've only been a BLM for a week now) and accidentally go too far with the fire spam, leaving no mp for B3. Thats incredibly rare though with it being 79 MP to cast for me, but I always feel like I'm losing DPS with only 1 stack of UI in that situation. I treat transpose as more of a "oh shit, I goofed" button then part of my actual rotation.

gatti-man

You keep using Garuda feathers as an example, what about just clearing trash in dungeons such as AK? Turn 1 also has aoe trash before Cadaceus, Turn 3 and 4 are full of AoE packs. Are you suggesting its more efficient to just spam flare and transpose on the packs?

As for Blizzard 3, if you have Astral Fire 3 up its a 1.66s cast. I believe the goal of the rotations being recommended to people is to manage your mp. You fire 3 > fire spam(using Firestarter procs as they come) until you hit near a certain mp point, which for me is 504(If I'm using T3) or 398(T2). Once you hit near the magic number you slam in the Blizzard 3(79 mp with AF3 up, 1.66s cast) while still under the effects of AF3. This immediately pulls you to UI3, where you refresh your Thunder. Once the thunder is refreshed, you cast Fire 3(casting times halved to 1.66s again thanks to UI3) and begin the cycle again. My MP refills completely right at the Fire 3 cast under UI3; If I used transpose at the end of my fire rotation instead of Blizzard 3, I'd have to refill with just one stack of Umbral Ice. In the time it takes to regain full mp with just UI1, I can fire off 3 Thunder 2's to give you an idea of the time spent waiting.. I suppose you could argue that you just go back into fire at half MP, but that seems like a waste, imo at least.

As for bosses and movement, I understand your concern but as you said just about all of them require some form of movement. My main is a SMN and it takes me roughly 7.5 seconds to get the Bio2>Miasma>Bio1 train going. Add in another 2.5 for Thunder and you're talking 10 seconds. Add in another 2.86s cast for Shadowflare. You see where I'm going here, It's just something that you deal with on fights like Titan and up really.

I just watched his rotation and it makes sense in his situations. However I think he's wrong on flare since if timed correctly it easily fits into boss rotations which is when dps is most important. I'm going to try marrying the two so when instacast is down use ice3.

Mandoric

Banned
I'd honestly say I only transpose on boss fights if I mess up my rotation(I've only been a BLM for a week now) and accidentally go too far with the fire spam, leaving no mp for B3. Thats incredibly rare though with it being 79 MP to cast for me, but I always feel like I'm losing DPS with only 1 stack of UI in that situation. I treat transpose as more of a "oh shit, I goofed" button then part of my actual rotation.

This is how I treat it. Or if for some reason I just HAD to sneak an extra Flare in while Raging Strikes was up, or had to throw out an emergency Sleepga/Physick and took myself down to nothing.

This is how I treat it. Or if for some reason I just HAD to sneak an extra Flare in while Raging Strikes was up, or had to throw out an emergency Sleepga/Physick and took myself down to nothing.

Yeah the only time I personally Flare is when Convert and Swiftcast are up. I usually try to cram it in during the Raging Strikes rotation, when I'd only have MP for one Fire left I'll go SC > Flare > Convert > Fire > B3, and carry on my normal stuff again during the regen phase.

I do think its fun to mess with my tank friends in AK by going RS > Flare > Convert > SC > Flare on big trash pulls(I'm looking at you Rag/Yen!), but I wouldn't recommend that for practical means lol.

DrDogg

Ran the first 3 newbie dungeons today on Thaumaturge with titan tank, was fun! Not sure if I'm playing Thau right though, but I like sleeping stuff, with cure equipped it kind of reminds me of rdm.

I feel ACN is more like RDM given all the dots it has. But if you like THM because it can sleep, don't do any DF runs later on. People have no concept of what sleep means and will just wake up the mobs over and over. I've even seen tanks that move from one mob to the next, randomly attacking (not even doing their enmity combos) because they think that's the best way to hold hate.

You guys are right to complain. DPS is bad and it seems to get worse in bigger groups bc people think they can hide. I mean there is zero reason to be casting fire 2 and ice 3 at lvl 50 yet I see it all the time. I've played Garuda countless times once with 3 other BLM and not once has anyone done flare (a powerful aoe) during the rain of feathers. It's noob city.

However people have no tools to improve besides just really focusing on your own production. I think this is also a side effect of fate grinding and the race to 50.

I ran Brayflox yesterday with a BLM who would spam Fire 3. I started to tell him that its a waste to spam it, but I've had such backlash from trying to give people advice, that I just put up with it. It's not even worth it to try to help most people in this game (outside of the FC at least).

falastini

Were people dispelling the Goal debuff?

Yes. Because we failed like 5 times. Each try we would try to figure out what was going wrong. After the first try, I was asking if healers were cleansing, and they were. Eventually, there was nothing left to rule out. The dps was just bad.

Masterphoenix

Neo Member
I'm leveling BLM and recently acquired Fire III. My question which gives more DPS for my MP Fire or Fire III? Should I only use fire III to get full umbral fire then switch to Fire or just spam fire III and transpose when out of MP?

Yes. Because we failed like 5 times. Each try we would try to figure out what was going wrong. After the first try, I was asking if healers were cleansing, and they were. Eventually, there was nothing left to rule out. The dps was just bad.

Those people suck then. It shouldn't be any issue IF healers are dispelling the Determination Down debuff, I've done gimp damage so many times because that part gets forgotten.

Alucrid

Banned
Got my unicorn today

DD7B31A0C5A5C2D43E6A02AD60E49B89F1E70798

Masterphoenix

Neo Member
Where is the best fates for level 30? Like is there a "dark devices" type fate for this level?
When I level at 30 I try either do Quarrymill or Costa Del Sol. Costa del sol has tons of fates plus Cancer but is a ton of teleporting. Quarrymill has courelking but the fates are lower level.

I'm leveling BLM and recently acquired Fire III. My question which gives more DPS for my MP Fire or Fire III? Should I only use fire III to get full umbral fire then switch to Fire or just spam fire III and transpose when out of MP?

The idea is only use Fire III to get your Astral Fire III and start spamming Fire, and the use Firstarter for quickcasting Fire 3. You get ore for you MP/DPS that way.

Basically, thunder II(III) -> Fire III -> Fire(spam) -> Firestarter -> Fire III -> Fire again.

Then when you are low MP (or you can cast Fire anymore) you use Blizzard 3, get MP full and start again.

This is the basic idea, other people with more experience can give you a more proper rotation.

Mandoric

Banned

Fire 3 at the start for full astral stacks and whenever Firestarter procs. AF3 Firaga is 113 PPS and around .38 potency/MP compared to Fire+Firestarter's average 122 PPS and .69 potency/MP.

Masterphoenix

Neo Member
I ran Brayflox yesterday with a BLM who would spam Fire 3. I started to tell him that its a waste to spam it, but I've had such backlash from trying to give people advice, that I just put up with it. It's not even worth it to try to help most people in this game (outside of the FC at least).
I know that feel. Had a WHM in Brayflox spam cure II run out of mp and then beg for ballad from the BRD. I politely told her to use cure and wait for freecure proc and she took it well. Its hard to get a perfect median between not being a dick and not being patronizing.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
The idea is only use Fire III to get your Astral Fire III and start spamming Fire, and the use Firstarter for quickcasting Fire 3. You get ore for you MP/DPS that way.

Basically, thunder II(III) -> Fire III -> Fire(spam) -> Firestarter -> Fire III -> Fire again.

Then when you are low MP (or you can cast Fire anymore) you use Blizzard 3, get MP full and start again.

This is the basic idea, other people with more experience can give you a more proper rotation.

That's usually my BLM rotation. I usually sleep targets so I substitute T3 with Sleep, then start the cycle, sneaking a Thunder 3 every once in a while when Astral Ice 3 is filling up my MP.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, dumb question here. I've been playing on PC, but I'm at my family's place for a little while now. If I got a PS3 copy of the game, would I be able to log into my PC character?

Mandoric

Banned
Here's what I'm using for rotation:

The 1042 MP figure is exactly how much it takes me to cast Fire-Blizzaga-Thundara, YMMV. Raging Strikes should be timed to be up for Flare; I normally pop it at around 2500 MP if Convert is up. For absolutely optimal DPSing Hi-ethers should be used to allow you to Swiftcast-Flare once a minute, but few tanks can handle this and no mobs (at least outside of Coil) require it.

Victrix

*beard*
The delta between good and shitty BLMs is enormous.

Good BLMs ride my ass for threat and spike aggro periodically on an AK run. Bad BLMs slow the run down by 5-15 minutes.

And it seems like a pretty straightforward rotation so I don't even get it.

Lain

Here's what I'm using for rotation:

The 1042 MP figure is exactly how much it takes me to cast Fire-Blizzaga-Thundara, YMMV. Raging Strikes should be timed to be up for Flare; I normally pop it at around 2500 MP if Convert is up. For absolutely optimal DPSing Hi-ethers should be used to allow you to Swiftcast-Flare once a minute, but few tanks can handle this and no mobs (at least outside of Coil) require it.

This post is really helpful in understanding the BLM rotation at level 50.
I have a question, what's with the thunder macro? How do you make a macro based on having enough MP? You simply put both cast one after the other, with the one you want to have priority on top, so it just errors out on the first line and executes the second line, if not enough MP?

Victrix

*beard*
Exactly that yes, there's no if/then logic on macros, but they do fallthrough, so you can put multiple abilities on one button and it'll try to fire them off from top to bottom (also works for lazy cooldown activation, though I don't personally use them for that)

Exactly that yes, there's no if/then logic on macros, but they do fallthrough, so you can put multiple abilities on one button and it'll try to fire them off from top to bottom (also works for lazy cooldown activation, though I don't personally use them for that)

You can also use it for targeting priority (though this may be more for healers). For example, you could use a heal with <mo> on top to heal who you are mousing over, and <t> underneath to fall back on the main tank that you stay targeted on.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Okay, anyone up for CM story now? I'm forming a party on Ultros. User name is Kagari Asuha so send a tell if interested.

Okay, anyone up for CM story now? I'm forming a party on Ultros. User name is Kagari Asuha so send a tell if interested.

Advertising in the FC? In my experience people jump on even story CM for the fun. Get your hooks in one of the talkative people and they will bring along others.

Man I don't know how people manage to get a DoT to 50 in only one weekend. Been at my Weaver since yesterday morning and I've only gotten from 16 to 25 and the new recipes are calling for a lot of mats where I'll have to go gather/do leves/craft with other classes I haven't even started. Granted, I've been trying to level up without paying for my mats so that takes a good chunk of my time before I can actually start crafting, and I've been doing the leves you can turn in 3x, but it's still a long process and the new recipes/leves are making this even more daunting. I just want to get my class to a high enough level to where I can repair my White Mage's artifact gear, but I might take a break and try Garuda.

Edit: Actually, after going back over some posts on Reddit about using cross-class abilities to HQ items with ease, I might just start leveling all my DoTs to level 15 first and then try my hand at some easy leves. I have newfound conviction!

Lily

I've come to the conclusion that i am never going to defeat Titan HM on this server, A lot of the FC have got it and moved on and due to the timezone difference (im in EU) theres not a lot of players online when i am. Tried PUGing it many MANY times, but all it takes is one person to step out of line, and the whole group falls apart. Perhaps i need to switch to a server in my own region. I guess.

Omnicent

Man I don't know how people manage to get a DoT to 50 in only one weekend. Been at my Weaver since yesterday morning and I've only gotten from 16 to 25 and the new recipes are calling for a lot of mats where I'll have to go gather/do leves/craft with other classes I haven't even started. Granted, I've been trying to level up without paying for my mats so that takes a good chunk of my time before I can actually start crafting, and I've been doing the leves you can turn in 3x, but it's still a long process and the new recipes/leves are making this even more daunting. I just want to get my class to a high enough level to where I can repair my White Mage's artifact gear, but I might take a break and try Garuda.

Edit: Actually, after going back over some posts on Reddit about using cross-class abilities to HQ items with ease, I might just start leveling all my DoTs to level 15 first and then try my hand at some easy leves. I have newfound conviction!

Yeah having all crafts to 15 (except for possibly ARM) is beneficial in leveling 15+.
I have been a heavy crafter since the game came out. I don't have any crafts to 50, but I have 5 of them ready to go from 38/40 - 50. Hopefully getting CRP to 50 this weekend will make it even easier (BB).

Just don't become addicted to crafting like some of us. It's a hard habit to kick.

Where is the best fates for level 30? Like is there a "dark devices" type fate for this level?

Costa del Sol. It's very easy to find a party there. There are tons of FATEs in such a small area. If you are tired you can warp to grind at Wineport (opposite side of Costa del Sol), which has reasonable amount of FATE as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom