• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esura

Banned
Dark Devices is good. There's also a chimera FATE that spawns in N. Thanalan that gives amazing xp too.

Gogonera is oddly fun despite at the half way point having to constantly raise half my party because they keep getting caught in the flame breath. And because I'm on PS3 and the boss sometimes fades in and out and before I know it I end up right in front of the thing and OHKOed too trying to raise people. It's a freaking graveyard by the end.

Oh I know you aren't doing it bc it's fotm but at endgame it's not uncommon to have entire bard parties with a tank and heal. Bards are everywhere.

I was actually considering making a Bard one of my alts, lol. I love Bards, allows me to let loose on the Stoneskins and Regens on everyone without having to conserve MP.

Ken

last sliver of XP needed for lvl 50

of course the game would throw me something quick and easy like gore

jK5tmTXX208jL.png

Alex

I wish I hadn't started using that good Japanese log parser (very accurate, tracks everything proper, but can't be compiled until post-run). I've gained more ire for a community that I already think fairly little of. It's shocking how poorly played most DPS are in this game. Even decked out people, doesn't matter.

It's to the point where I won't even pug server people anymore, it's Free Company or nothing, and even then I'm selective.

If they ever put out a more official parsing tool, or allow real API work, which I originally didn't want but now VERY much do, I have a feeling it'll do a lot of good for getting simple tasks done in a less agonizing manner. It's weird, because I'm usually the last person to care. I typically make excuses for people, try to limp through it, etc, but this game brings out odd pieces of me.Too many evenings of trying to help a friend get their second relic during spare time and learning that half our DPS are struggling to keep up with the tank, on average, I guess.

Victrix

*beard*
There's nothing anywhere in the game that does anything to teach you a proper dps rotation

Nor is there any feedback on how much damage you're actually doing

The sole feedback mechanism in place is 'did the mob die' and 'did we clear the dungeon/boss yes/no?'

You can't really blame people who are new to mmos for not knowing (or even wanting) to go do research on how to 'play properly' when they are clearly already playing properly (everything is dead and the dungeon is dead, yes?)

It doesn't become a hard issue until Titan HM, which is all the way at post-endgame. You could maybe get into trouble on Demon Wall in AK if both DPS are sloppy, but you can usually carry one bad dps through that

(I have a pretty similar opinion on interrupts. Shitty mechanic that isn't taught well and isn't integrated into the UI well for something that demands split second timing and often party coordination on account of diminishing returns)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I wish I hadn't started using that good Japanese log parser (very accurate, tracks everything proper, but can't be compiled until post-run). I've gained more ire for a community that I already think fairly little of. It's shocking how poorly played most DPS are in this game. Even decked out people, doesn't matter.

It's to the point where I won't even pug server people anymore, it's Free Company or nothing, and even then I'm selective.

If they ever put out a more official parsing tool, or allow real API work, which I originally didn't want but now VERY much do, I have a feeling it'll do a lot of good for getting simple tasks done in a less agonizing manner. It's weird, because I'm usually the last person to care. I typically make excuses for people, try to limp through it, etc, but this game brings out odd pieces of me.Too many evenings of trying to help a friend get their second relic during spare time and learning that half our DPS are struggling to keep up with the tank, on average, I guess.

You say a lot here but provide very little information. How and why are DPS being played poorly?

Anteater

Ran the first 3 newbie dungeons today on Thaumaturge with titan tank, was fun! Not sure if I'm playing Thau right though, but I like sleeping stuff, with cure equipped it kind of reminds me of rdm.

Alex

You say a lot here but provide very little information. How and why are DPS being played poorly?

Might just be a server thing, but on my server, the pug DPS are really, really bad to a point that I've never seen. I'm venting because I don't like wasting about five hours trying to help people who aren't putting forth any effort or responsibility.

Did three groups across two days trying to do it with just me and a guildie but DPS was always slow as shit. Did it in a handpicked Free Company alt group full of people with largely worse gear and it was one shot entirely because of the DPS literally being 2-3x as fast.

People are getting fine at dodging the nonsense, but that doesn't really matter when you can only pull ~80 DPS doing it.

yea, i noticed this first when good dps suddenly mattered in near end game dungeons. more painful when it's in your LS/FC. we need that tool build into the game.

Lain

Might just be a server thing, but on my server, the pug DPS are really, really bad to a point that I've never seen. I'm venting because I don't like wasting about five hours trying to help people who aren't putting forth any effort or responsibility.

Did three groups across two days trying to do it with just me and a guildie but DPS was always slow as shit. Did it in a handpicked Free Company alt group full of people with largely worse gear and it was one shot entirely because of the DPS literally being 2-3x as fast.

People are getting fine at dodging the nonsense, but that doesn't really matter when you can only pull ~80 DPS doing it.

What should they do to not suck at doing DPS? I mean, what kind of rotations?
I level some DPS classes from time to time so I'm interested in what kind of rotations would be better compared to others.

Victrix

*beard*
yea, i noticed this first when good dps suddenly mattered in near end game dungeons. more painful when it's in your LS/FC. we need that tool build into the game.

DPS meters often just means people will be criticized for low dps without knowing how to improve it.

What they need are class challenges that give good rewards and demand a certain minimum level of dps to complete, and each one teaches you a chunk of your proper rotation at any given level.

Then an added set at 50 that have increasingly steep dps requirements, requiring both good to perfect rotations and increasingly better gear.

Much like guildhests, they wouldn't fix everything magically, but they'd certainly be better than the current alternative, which is... nothing.

Iph

Banned
What should they do to not suck at doing DPS? I mean, what kind of rotations?
I level some DPS classes from time to time so I'm interested in what kind of rotations would be better compared to others.

I would love to know this myself, or at least a point in the right direction to begin some research. I'm working towards a Monk being my main and eventually playing a Paladin as my secondary. I'm new to MMO's pretty much and have been soloing so far. Once I get late in the game and start partying more often I'll need to get better or I'll be disappointing a lot of seasoned players.

DPS meters often just means people will be criticized for low dps without knowing how to improve it.

so they will be even with tanks and healers. it's plainly noticeable when thoses classes fail. i thought the class/job quests were like a tutorial that teach you how to play your role. we know they aren't perfect. making them brain-dead easy was not the right solution.

Isaccard

I would love to know this myself, or at least a point in the right direction to begin some research. I'm working towards a Monk being my main and eventually playing a Paladin as my secondary. I'm new to MMO's pretty much and have been soloing so far. Once I get late in the game and start partying more often I'll need to get better or I'll be disappointing a lot of seasoned players.

MrHappy on YouTube

MechaX

As a DPS, this still doesn't really tell me much of anything in terms of improving. I mean, unless you get egregious examples of people Fate grinding their way up to 50 without knowing how the class works, most people in my experience know the rotations at least.

Like, would a Bard suddenly go from a sucky DPS to a godly DPS in the meter's mind simply because they got lucky and River of Blood + Venomous Bite/Windbite allowed them to spam lucky reset Bloodletters every second?

Kokonoe

Banned
Despite all the years I've played FFXI, I have just done something I was never able to accomplish on that game, and that would be getting a Relic weapon.

ibaOBgJ3TFYGoq.jpg

Chimera, Hydra, Ifrit, Garuda, Titan, and 5 CM runs in one night. A night of missing tons of sleep and determination. Woohoo!

Kyoufu

It's like the priciest minion ever conceived

One on the market in Ultros for 450K....

I went to see what is needed....

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Yeah man, it's too expensive for me to make right now. I think I'll make one when philo mats drop in price in the coming months. The Wind-up Qiqirn is cute too!

GorillaJu

Went to buy a Darklight Belt of Hunting, was told "you can only have one of this item." Apparently I've had one I just forgot and never equipped it. Whoops.

RK9039

What do you have to do in order to get gold rewards from Fate bosses like Odin? I only did the Fate once the other day, we weren't able to kill him and he used the move to kill everyone. But I still got a gold reward.

During the fight all I did was use my Tomahawk and every now and then went up to him and did my enmity rotation and then pulled back for more Tomahawk. I got full red aggro a few times is that why?

falastini

You don't even know... When I was stuck on Titan HM, I formed a group from the server. I checked every single member I invited. All the dps had garuda or better weapons. One of them even had a relic. So I'm thinking everything is great... then we start Titan. We can't kill the heart. How the hell is that possible? I've downed the heart phase in 2 tank/4 dps setups, yet we can't do it with 5 well-geared dps. It made no sense.

After that I decided to look into parsers. I can't seem to get the JP one working accurately though. I hear the FFXIV-app guy is updating his, so maybe I'll try that one.

Einbroch

Banned
Chimera/Hydra really need to be on the duty finder.

I've been spamming in Coerthas for five days now, no groups, or they're full.

gatti-man

You don't even know... When I was stuck on Titan HM, I formed a group from the server. I checked every single member I invited. All the dps had garuda or better weapons. One of them even had a relic. So I'm thinking everything is great... then we start Titan. We can't kill the heart. How the hell is that possible? I've downed the heart phase in 2 tank/4 dps setups, yet we can't do it with 5 well-geared dps. It made no sense.

After that I decided to look into parsers. I can't seem to get the JP one working accurately though. I hear the FFXIV-app guy is updating his, so maybe I'll try that one.

You guys are right to complain. DPS is bad and it seems to get worse in bigger groups bc people think they can hide. I mean there is zero reason to be casting fire 2 and ice 3 at lvl 50 yet I see it all the time. I've played Garuda countless times once with 3 other BLM and not once has anyone done flare (a powerful aoe) during the rain of feathers. It's noob city.

However people have no tools to improve besides just really focusing on your own production. I think this is also a side effect of fate grinding and the race to 50.

Mandoric

Banned

Goddamn, and I felt bad on him when I was focusing on dodging and only pulling 120.

As for bad example rotations, there are a few fairly common traps like ignoring DoTs (which are incredibly powerful when you're limited by GCDs) and for BLMs Firing down to nothing and then using Trance rather than stance-swapping with Blizzaga.

zero reason to be casting... ice 3 at lvl 50

{Umm...}

gatti-man

Goddamn, and I felt bad on him when I was focusing on dodging and only pulling 120.

As for bad example rotations, there are a few fairly common traps like ignoring DoTs (which are incredibly powerful when you're limited by GCDs) and for BLMs Firing down to nothing and then using Trance rather than stance-swapping with Blizzaga.

{Umm...}
Stance swapping with blizzaga takes a long time unless using instacast. Also blizzaga doesn't hit hard. Usually I swap with instacast flare trance. It works especially well if you have a proc'd fire 3 to fire after flare.

Wish I hard proof but ice 3 is a bad habit ESPECIALLY under boss fights since very often you have to move and that's a long cast with very little pay off vs trance which is an instacast can be pulled off on the run so you can be back on fire ASAP. If your instacast isn't ready once again save a fire 3 if you can trance one ice cast is enough time for full mp usually and then hit your fire 3 instacast to switch back to fire.

You guys are right to complain. DPS is bad and it seems to get worse in bigger groups bc people think they can hide. I mean there is zero reason to be casting fire 2 and ice 3 at lvl 50 yet I see it all the time. I've played Garuda countless times once with 3 other BLM and not once has anyone done flare (a powerful aoe) during the rain of feathers. It's noob city.

However people have no tools to improve besides just really focusing on your own production. I think this is also a side effect of fate grinding and the race to 50.

Blizzard 3 is encouraged by sites such as Bluegartr, or the Mr Happy video in the single target rotation, same with Fire 2 for aoe purposes.

Stance swapping with blizzaga takes a long time unless using instacast. Also blizzaga doesn't hit hard. Usually I swap with instacast flare trance. It works especially well if you have a proc'd fire 3 to fire after flare.

Doenst that give you one stack of Umbral Ice though? You'd regen mana alot faster eating the 2.4 second blizzard 3 cast to get 3 UI's, by the time you refresh thunder you're at full mp again. Add in the half second fire 3 cast out of UI and you've got yourself a stew going!

gatti-man

Blizzard 3 is encouraged by sites such as Bluegartr, or the Mr Happy video in the single target rotation, same with Fire 2 for aoe purposes.

Doenst that give you one stack of Umbral Ice though? You'd regen mana alot faster eating the 2.4 second blizzard 3 cast to get 3 UI's, by the time you refresh thunder you're at full mp again. Add in the half second fire 3 cast out of UI and you've got yourself a stew going!

When do you need aoe that fire 2 is applicable? Fire 2 can't kill feathers from Garuda fast enough and can pull agro in mobs vs single target burn down.

Ice 3 would work in a stand still fight. Except there are none. I've tried it my dps is lower using ice 3. Using ice 1 and casting thunder will give me a full bar too. That's another long cast.

I'm going to watch mrhappy's videos and see if I'm missing something.

Mandoric

Banned
When do you need aoe that fire 2 is applicable? Fire 2 can't kill feathers from Garuda fast enough and can pull agro in mobs vs single target burn down.

Ice 3 would work in a stand still fight. Except there are none. I've tried it my dps is lower using ice 3. Using ice 1 and casting thunder will give me a full bar too. That's another long cast.

I'm going to watch mrhappy's videos and see if I'm missing something.

Fira is more mana-efficient and time-efficient than Flare above 1600 MP in almost all situations, and doesn't rely on having Swiftcast up.

UB1 takes about five ticks to go from 0 to full, or six to go from 0 to full+ticks after your Firaga cast. UB3 take two from 0 to full+ticks after your Firaga cast, or basicallt as much time as it takes to Thundara/Thundaga and then Firaga. Your Firaga also casts a full second faster when under UB3 as opposed to UB1.

Flare is useful, but it's best applied as Fire-Swiftcast-Flare-(Convert or Hi-ether)-(Fire if you converted)-Blizzaga rather than Blizzaga when you find yourself under 1,000 MP and Swiftcast is up in a standard cycle, or as Swiftcast-Flare-Convert-Fira-Blizzaga under 1,600 MP in an AoE cycle.

If you're burning Swiftcast on Firaga you're also making Flare only worth 117 potency/sec of cast time compared to Fire's 108. With Swiftcast it's 187.

Alucrid

Banned

Were people dispelling the Goal debuff?

You keep using Garuda feathers as an example, what about just clearing trash in dungeons such as AK? Turn 1 also has aoe trash before Cadaceus, Turn 3 and 4 are full of AoE packs. Are you suggesting its more efficient to just spam flare and transpose on the packs?

As for Blizzard 3, if you have Astral Fire 3 up its a 1.66s cast. I believe the goal of the rotations being recommended to people is to manage your mp. You fire 3 > fire spam(using Firestarter procs as they come) until you hit near a certain mp point, which for me is 504(If I'm using T3) or 398(T2). Once you hit near the magic number you slam in the Blizzard 3(79 mp with AF3 up, 1.66s cast) while still under the effects of AF3. This immediately pulls you to UI3, where you refresh your Thunder. Once the thunder is refreshed, you cast Fire 3(casting times halved to 1.66s again thanks to UI3) and begin the cycle again. My MP refills completely right at the Fire 3 cast under UI3; If I used transpose at the end of my fire rotation instead of Blizzard 3, I'd have to refill with just one stack of Umbral Ice. In the time it takes to regain full mp with just UI1, I can fire off 3 Thunder 2's to give you an idea of the time spent waiting.. I suppose you could argue that you just go back into fire at half MP, but that seems like a waste, imo at least.

As for bosses and movement, I understand your concern but as you said just about all of them require some form of movement. My main is a SMN and it takes me roughly 7.5 seconds to get the Bio2>Miasma>Bio1 train going. Add in another 2.5 for Thunder and you're talking 10 seconds. Add in another 2.86s cast for Shadowflare. You see where I'm going here, It's just something that you deal with on fights like Titan and up really.

gatti-man

Fira is more mana-efficient and time-efficient than Flare above 1600 MP in almost all situations, and doesn't rely on having Swiftcast up.

UB1 takes about five ticks to go from 0 to full, or six to go from 0 to full+ticks after your Firaga cast. UB3 take two from 0 to full+ticks after your Firaga cast, or basicallt as much time as it takes to Thundara/Thundaga and then Firaga. Your Firaga also casts a full second faster when under UB3 as opposed to UB1.

Flare is useful, but it's best applied as Fire-Swiftcast-Flare-(Convert or Hi-ether)-(Fire if you converted)-Blizzaga rather than Blizzaga when you find yourself under 1,000 MP and Swiftcast is up in a standard cycle, or as Swiftcast-Flare-Convert-Fira-Blizzaga under 1,600 MP in an AoE cycle.

Yeah the only time I fire flare is when I'm under 1600mp or in the Garuda boss fight since then it's all about quick death of the feathers. I stick by my opinion that fire two is weak sauce for all but the trashiest of mobs.

Using your description I still see a heavy opportunity for getting my casting interrupted using ice 3 during boss fights.

Mandoric

Banned
The other thing with movement making Trance "work better" is that that only helps if you have to move during the UB half of your cycle. Except if you're stancedancing with Blizzaga, it's more the UB quarter or fifth of your cycle.

Yeah the only time I fire flare is when I'm under 1600mp or in the Garuda boss fight since then it's all about quick death of the feathers. I stick by my opinion that fire two is weak sauce for all but the trashiest of mobs.

Using your description I still see a heavy opportunity for getting my casting interrupted using ice 3 during boss fights.

AoEs are for trash in general. It's not like feathers have that much life; in fact, on clumps of one or two your kills are going to be faster single-target than with Fira. Flare's just a nice way to finish off a rotation if you're the only person on a big clump and you're not saving it to DPS Garuda herself harder (which you probably should).

And yes, of course, sometimes Blizzaga gets interrupted. But for each tick that you have to stand around doing nothing with UB1 up, and that's five or so of them, you could cast Blizzaga again -twice-.
Meanwhile, Titan's the only boss (outside coil?) that has any tricks that should interrupt you more than once in a row.

gatti-man

You keep using Garuda feathers as an example, what about just clearing trash in dungeons such as AK? Turn 1 also has aoe trash before Cadaceus, Turn 3 and 4 are full of AoE packs. Are you suggesting its more efficient to just spam flare and transpose on the packs?

As for Blizzard 3, if you have Astral Fire 3 up its a 1.66s cast. I believe the goal of the rotations being recommended to people is to manage your mp. You fire 3 > fire spam(using Firestarter procs as they come) until you hit near a certain mp point, which for me is 504(If I'm using T3) or 398(T2). Once you hit near the magic number you slam in the Blizzard 3(79 mp with AF3 up, 1.66s cast) while still under the effects of AF3. This immediately pulls you to UI3, where you refresh your Thunder. Once the thunder is refreshed, you cast Fire 3(casting times halved to 1.66s again thanks to UI3) and begin the cycle again. My MP refills completely right at the Fire 3 cast under UI3; If I used transpose at the end of my fire rotation instead of Blizzard 3, I'd have to refill with just one stack of Umbral Ice. In the time it takes to regain full mp with just UI1, I can fire off 3 Thunder 2's to give you an idea of the time spent waiting.. I suppose you could argue that you just go back into fire at half MP, but that seems like a waste, imo at least.

As for bosses and movement, I understand your concern but as you said just about all of them require some form of movement. My main is a SMN and it takes me roughly 7.5 seconds to get the Bio2>Miasma>Bio1 train going. Add in another 2.5 for Thunder and you're talking 10 seconds. Add in another 2.86s cast for Shadowflare. You see where I'm going here, It's just something that you deal with on fights like Titan and up really.

I'm not speaking about trash mobs at all.

See but with my rotation it allows for movement much more than ice 3 does. Also trance, ice, thunder, gives me full mp. Then I just hit a proc'd fire 3 and it's back to full fire 3 however if I don't have a proc'd fire 3 and don't proc one with my first fire my dps does suffer. I'd say that happens 1/5 to 1/6 rotations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom