• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

That usually does the trick. Recharge yourself, do some other things for awhile, come back full force.

Well, I can't disengage entirely. We're going to be doing Twin practice on Wednesday. That said, it, might be a good idea to take tomorrow evening off. I hate to do it, because there's a number of people I really enjoy just hanging out with. (Though I really need to learn to stop being such a chatterbox.)

Still, if an evening off is going to leave me a bit more clear headed when I come back, it'd probably be for the best.

UrSuLeTzU

Really having a difficult time gearing up 6 jobs at once. I now have full DL for all 6 jobs, but the long wait for CT/AF2/Coil gear begins. This is what I've got and what I'm focusing on for each job. Any suggestions to speed up the process (or change up the priorities) is welcome.

PLD
Current: Full DL, i60 ring, Relic +1 sword/shield.
Want: Mix of AF2/Coil

BLM
Current: 3 CT pieces, rest is DL, i60 ring, Relic weapon
Want: Finish CT pieces, then mix of AF2/Coil, Relic +1

WHM
Current: CT hands, rest is DL, i60 ring, Relic weapon
Want: Full CT, then mix of AF2/Coil, Relic +1

BRD
Current: AF2 body, rest is DL, i60 ring, Relic weapon
Want: Mix of AF2 and Coil, Relic +1

SCH
Current: CT hands, rest is DL, i60 ring, Ifrit weapon
Want: Mix of AF2 and Coil, Relic, then eventually +1

SMN
Current: 3 CT pieces, rest is DL, i60 ring, Garuda weapon
Want: Mix of AF2 and Coil, Relic, then eventually +1

My SMN and SCH are secondary since I don't really like SMN edgame and I already have BRD and BLM for dps. I also prefer healing on WHM compared to SCH. However, beyond that it basically seems as though I have no choice but to wait for my one drop a week from CT, one AF2 piece a week due to Myth cap, and however many drops I can get from Coil in a week.

The issue is that I can't get my gear level up very much, which means it's difficult to get into Coil groups or progress beyond Turn 1 or 2 with a pug.

That endgame grind...

Which head piece is that? CT?

That's the pope hat you get for 100 commendations.

Teletraan1

Banned
They need mandatory DF cooldowns on people who withdraw from the duty. I feel like I am being trolled so often on these things and I also feel like it is possible to be kidnapped where you never actually get a legit person to fill the roll because some tank can let it time out and rejoin so fast that they keep everyone in a loop because you are pulled out of the group of people waiting. Then people just rage out of it at some point. My record of getting into a group after it first popped is 26 minutes. That is 26 minutes after the duty first popped after waiting for 30+ minutes. I am at 24 minutes as I type this whine.

studyguy

Had a weird moment yesterday where we burned that last snake in T5 with only 3 stacks and someone dead going into it. We stood there going like lolwut this thing doesn't have 4 stacks and we still killed it? And then two of the DPS decided to walk out of the neurolink before aether went off with an OH SHIT WHAT AM I DOING going over vent.

Good times when you're half asleep. We also threw the DRG into the final neurolink to soak the poophatches for the hell of it. You know you're bored when you're spinning Twin around to scare the party for kicks.

derwalde

Im playing the standard digital psn version of ff14 (PS3). now theres a sale where the deluxe edition is about ~24€. what will happen if i buy that version too? will i be able to only link one version to my ps4 in april so that i can play the game on both, PS3 and PS4 then?

Shouta

is it possible to macro SMN's DoT rotation into one nifty button? Would free up some valuable hotkey slots for me.

The core rotation is fine to macro (Miasma, Bio II, Bio) but everything after that should be manual to be able to adapt to the situation properly and chuck your off-GCD skills in.

Alucrid

Banned
wouldn't the different durations for the dots make macroing them less effective? pressing three buttons isn't much harder than pressing one.

Aeana

Congrats to Yennaiv for also getting everything to max level. I'm going to miss both him and Mira now that they'll be quitting the game.

Kenai

Of the 3 current Primals, I still think Garuda has the best music by far. Ifrit's is a bit generic, combined with his appearance I feel like I'm fighting Diablo. The music that seems to work the least well for me is Titan's butt-rock but some people seem to like it so whatevs.

Of course nothing can touch the theme of King Moggle Mog the XII, may he live forever in his magnificence.

Titan's is so neat because not only does it have a lot of lyrics (that are pretty good), but it also builds upon itself as the phases change and the fight gets more intense. If we are talking about any single unchanging track I prefer Garuda's but Titan has 3-4, and Mog has a couple too. Ifrit's is pretty generic I agree.

studyguy

Coil spoiler discussion.
I'm 100% convinced we'll end up having to do White Raven Nightmare mode over again before the next expansion. Like, not even a joking. They haven't thrown away any resources before, so why do it for a fantastic boss encounter?

Ken

Coil spoiler discussion.
I'm 100% convinced we'll end up having to do White Raven Nightmare mode over again before the next expansion. Like, not even a joking. They haven't thrown away any resources before, so why do it for a fantastic boss encounter?

At this point there's really no way they can show and not do anything with him.

WolvenOne

I know I'm taking the day off, but I still find myself spending a lot of mental energy, trying to discern ways to simplify my control scheme. Not sure it's really possible to simplify it much more with a controller, but, I need to think up some way to reduce the number of button combo's I need to remember in order to properly tank.

Need to spend a little less energy on remembering a dozen different button/trigger combo's, and what does what, and a little more energy on what's actually going on in battle.

johnsmith

remember me
Thinking of trying this out. Do they let you alt tab and play in full screen window? And how bad is the account set up on pc? Asking because I still have bad memories from FF11.

studyguy

I know I'm taking the day off, but I still find myself spending a lot of mental energy, trying to discern ways to simplify my control scheme. Not sure it's really possible to simplify it much more with a controller, but, I need to think up some way to reduce the number of button combo's I need to remember in order to properly tank.

Need to spend a little less energy on remembering a dozen different key combo's, and what does what, and a little more energy on what's actually going on in battle.

Tanking on a controller is like the most mindless thing if you're playing PLD.
Slightly less on a WAR... slightly, but tanking in general is the most controller friendly job aside from BLM I think.

At this point there's really no way they can show and not do anything with him.

Turns out Nael was Tanaka all along!

WolvenOne

Tanking on a controller is like the most mindless thing if you're playing PLD.
Slightly less on a WAR... slightly, but tanking in general is the most controller friendly job aside from BLM I think.

Turns out Nael was Tanaka all along!

And yet I'm somehow upto seven crossbars and two hotbars. XD

Okay granted, there's a lot of repeat commands on most of those crossbars, but still.

Edit: Guess I should elaborate.

Three of those crossbars are identical, save for each having different rotations. These are all mapped to the Right trigger and the face buttons, so these are the easiest commands for me to remember. Commands I use less often are mapped to the D-pad. This is actually a bit of a problem area, because the 360 D-pad sucks. I have to stop and very carefully push each cardinal direction, in order to not accidentally fire off other commands, such as Provoke. This slows down my overall response time, since I have to change gears to do it.

The Left Trigger crossbars, are reserved mostly for the commands I need for Kiting, and again are mostly identical across the three. Aside from that, I've mapped a few CD's and the WAR-Stack commands to the left crossbars, with the Kiting going to the face buttons and the War Commands going to the D-pad. In addition to that, holding L+R triggers brings up another crossbar, mostly comprised of Macro's, markers, and the Focus Target command. I don't use these commands much, so they aren't too much of an issue.

By far, anything mapped to the D-pad is the big sticking point for smooth Tanking. The other hangup is that with so much toggling between triggers so often, Tabbing between targets can sometimes get screwed up.

Thing is though, yeah, I'm really not certain I can get it much simpler then that.

Edit 2: I'll take some screenshots on Wednesday, since I'm not certain I'm describing my setup well.

Edit 3: Ordered a Bluetooth Dongle. Going to see if I have less issues with my Dual Shock 3. The D-pad at least should be less problematic, but other issues might pop up.

MogCakes

wouldn't the different durations for the dots make macroing them less effective? pressing three buttons isn't much harder than pressing one.

It's not about convenience in the case of SMN so much as it is freeing up valuable hotkeys for other useful skills or commands. Also I've long since deduced the optimum casting order of the three main DoTs (and the entire offensive repertoire of SMN). My main reason for wanting those hotkeys is it takes additional time (however small) for me to switch hotbars and that serves to hinder my performance and possibly miss an opportune moment to buff the tank with E4E, for example, or when in a lower dungeon have to constantly switch back and forth between hotbars to access Ruin because Ruin II is on the first one (and I dislike having to replace hotkeys).

Lucis

All you controller users,
just imagine 3-4 more abilities (possibly) for every class/job when the level cap is increased.

studyguy

just imagine 3-4 more abilities (possibly) for every class/job when the level cap is increased.

Not a big deal for like most of the classes.
I condense most classes into 32, but can add another 16 easily with the R2+L2.
I don't know any class that required 48 buttons to get working efficiently.

WolvenOne

Yes, I know. One step at a time man! XD

I'm looking into Keyboard setups, but, I don't think I can live without an analog stick. This unfortunately limits my options to expensive accessories that I may not even like, and which I cannot test out without first purchasing.

Plus I'd have to buy a new mouse too. My current one bites, it tends to treat all single clicks like double clicks. Need to replace it soon either way, I suppose.

studyguy

HEY CONTROLLER USERS has anybody told you lately that you're scrubs

tumblr_inline_mjjr7vWP0L1qz4rgp.gif
It's like I can't come to terms with my own lack of skill from this comfy couch! It's a tragedy really.

On the real though, they've done a fantastic job adapting this game to controller.

So, uh, anyone else on PS3 been having horrible lag and getting frequent disconnects within the last few days? 'cause that's been happening to me for three days now. :|

Edit: Well, this is fun. It's looking like my PS3 can't keep an IP address. This would explain why I've been having trouble connecting to the PSN, too. Looks like I might have to contact my internet provider since they provided the modem & router. Le sigh.

chrono01

The Realm Reborn OST is exclusive to the Square Enix Online Shop? I was hoping to purchase this one the same way I did Before Meteor, through CDJapan. Now I have to buy this one directly from Square-Enix themselves, and thus, have Digital River involved?

i5gGh9QPDypox.gif

studyguy

you can use kb/mouse on couch too though

It was more of a joke than anything, but lets get real here.
Controller on the couch ranks like 10/10 on the comfy scale.
My kb/m and desk is comfy, but nowhere near as much.
Come at me.

In any case I'm not going to argue the merits of either control scheme, plenty of people clear content using both methods so who cares, use whatever works for you.
We're talking about XIV, not Street Fighter.

MogCakes

I use a controller and keyboard for typing. Will buy an XB1 controller for PC when I build one (speaking of, will the 550 Ti run ARR well at max or should I stick to high? Asked in the PC thread and got nothing).

Kenai

Thinking of trying this out. Do they let you alt tab and play in full screen window? And how bad is the account set up on pc? Asking because I still have bad memories from FF11.

They let you alt tab n stuff with no issue. I don't remember any particular trouble setting up my account either, most of the trouble comes if you played 1.0 and wanted to recover legacy stuff/forgot your info.It's not ideal but in this aspect (and most others) it's better than FF11, coming from a ~6 year player of that.

I'd definitely recommend getting the one time password thing though, people seems to get hacked a lot without one. There's a free smartphone version and the physical one is like $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom