• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Well aren't we trespassing on their property in the first place?

To be fair, the gods were here before any of us were. Allagan aren't even the earliest civilizations either by a long, long shot either. Also doesn't help that all that technology didn't save them where one man with a stick managed to more than an entire civilization.

johnsmith

remember me
They let you alt tab n stuff with no issue. I don't remember any particular trouble setting up my account either, most of the trouble comes if you played 1.0 and wanted to recover legacy stuff/forgot your info.It's not ideal but in this aspect (and most others) it's better than FF11, coming from a ~6 year player of that.

I'd definitely recommend getting the one time password thing though, people seems to get hacked a lot without one. There's a free smartphone version and the physical one is like $10.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Khatoz

qsrspxs.jpg

FREEDOM CANNONS!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
To be fair, the gods were here before any of us were. Allagan aren't even the earliest civilizations either by a long, long shot either. Also doesn't help that all that technology didn't save them where one man with a stick managed to more than an entire civilization.

Huh?

The Allag were the ones who sealed Bahamut away and probably sealed all of the Primals underneath Silvertear Falls right? Louisoux didn't do shit.

studyguy

Huh?

The Allag were the ones who sealed Bahamut away and probably sealed all of the Primals underneath Silvertear Falls right? Louisoux didn't do shit.

The problem I've always had with the assumption that the Allag sealed the primals is that the historical timeline doesn't coincide with it. The Allag may have sealed some primals, but the very thing that stopped the Garlean advancement into Eorzea in the first place was a primal being summoned.

Allag clearly weren't infallible either as they dropped dead during the Earth-aspected Umbral era. The problem is the Umbral Eras seem to serve as a way of regenerating the aether in the planet. When too much is sapped, a cataclysm occurs to reinvigorate the planet. For all their technology, the Allagans seemed to have sapped the shit out of the planet and caused their own demise. They apparently lived about 1000 years, which is still an incredibly short time between one umbral to the next.

Kintaro

The problem I've always had with the assumption that the Allag sealed the primals is that the historical timeline doesn't coincide with it. The Allag may have sealed some primals, but the very thing that stopped the Garlean advancement into Eorzea in the first place was a primal being summoned.

Allag clearly weren't infallible either as they dropped dead during the Earth-aspected Umbral era. The problem is the Umbral Eras seem to serve as a way of regenerating the aether in the planet. When too much is sapped, a cataclysm occurs to reinvigorate the planet. For all their technology, the Allagans seemed to have sapped the shit out of the planet and caused their own demise. They apparently lived about 1000 years, which is still an incredibly short time between one umbral to the next.

Nope nope nope. Midgardsomr was not a Primal. Go back and watch FFXIV 1.0's original intro. Garland runs into dragon resistance when Midgardsomr appeared to protect Silvertear Falls. The Allag had the technology to control dragons and many other creatures.

Go watch that intro very closely (in fact, you will see Primals escaping Silvertear after the outburst of Aether).

The Astral/Umbral lore you are talking about is also not right either. Read up.

Teknoman

Speaking of dragons, why is Ishgard still at war with them? If they joined forces to stop the Garlean invasion the first time around...and they seem intelligent enough to have followers of the five races/protect those followers. Unless they fought the Garleans under the premise of simply protecting territory.

Also wonder how Cloud of Darkness will tie into Allag tech, and how long it'll take until we run into some Allagan in "cryosleep" that wants to "reclaim whats rightfully theirs".

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of dragons, why is Ishgard still at war with them? If they joined forces to stop the Garlean invasion the first time around...and they seem intelligent enough to have followers of the five races/protect those followers. Unless they fought the Garleans under the premise of simply protecting territory.

The Ishgardians would rather they themselves perish than ally with what they see as the root of all evil, probably.

Ryn

Is anybody else having launcher issues on pc? It can't seem to get the update, either unable to check for version error, or "A system error has occurred: -2146697211 HTTPS System error" keeps occurring.

Teknoman

Is anybody else having launcher issues on pc? It can't seem to get the update, either unable to check for version error, or "A system error has occurred: -2146697211 HTTPS System error" keeps occurring.

It happened to me once, but then I restarted and it downloaded fine.

studyguy

Nope nope nope. Midgardsomr was not a Primal. Go back and watch FFXIV 1.0's original intro. Garland runs into dragon resistance when Midgardsomr appeared to protect Silvertear Falls. The Allag had the technology to control dragons and many other creatures.

Go watch that intro very closely (in fact, you will see Primals escaping Silvertear after the outburst of Aether).

You realize Silvertear occured long after the Garlean encroachment onto Erozean soil occured right? I wasn't speaking about silvertear or midgarsomir in my post.

The Umbral eras do occur following the depletion of aether or rampant misuse, that much is spoken about a number of times and is the entire reason we seal primals. We don't fight them because they're bad, but rather due to the fact that given enough time they can bleed the crystal dry and cause another cataclysm through their own machinations.

neoism

well got to bard in a week lol first time though.... pugilist is funner than I thought... but archer/bard is awesome is there anyway to see the time you've played in the game like other mmos... lol I've played like 5 hours every day.. one day I played 12 hours straight :/ The game is amazing got it for 12.99 but missed out on the first free mouth but got a sub immediately.

Wow, tonight was an ordeal. Called Sony, called my internet provider, called the company that manufactured the router (apparently my internet provider didn't give us the router - it's been so long)...and then spent hours looking up how to reset the wireless network. Hopefully, the PS3 stays online now when I want it to. If not, I'll probably go buy an ethernet cable and just connect it directly to the router.

Oh! And I'm re-downloading the game because I thought maybe there's a problem on that end and want to have all my bases covered.

For the Nvidia owners out there, the new beta driver 334.67 has FFXIV branding and is the reportedly the first driver to have specific optimizations for this game. It can be downloaded by checking the Beta Drivers box in GeForce Experience and checking for updates. I'm installing it now, hopefully it will finally resolve the random black screen and driver resets I've been getting since launch.

I also assume this means the AMD Gaming Evolved thing with FFXIV has ended, so maybe it will perform better on Nvidia cards now too.

Kintaro

You realize Silvertear occured long after the Garlean encroachment onto Erozean soil occured right? I wasn't speaking about silvertear or midgarsomir in my post.

The Umbral eras do occur following the depletion of aether or rampant misuse, that much is spoken about a number of times and is the entire reason we seal primals. We don't fight them because they're bad, but rather due to the fact that given enough time they can bleed the crystal dry and cause another cataclysm through their own machinations.

Long after? Battle for Silvertear was only 5 years after Garland took Ala Mhigo.

Also, the lore is pretty clear on the known causes of Umbral Eras. "Depletion of Aether" is not one of them. The White Mages didn't flood their own civilization because they ran out of Aether.

neoism

For the Nvidia owners out there, the new beta driver 334.67 has FFXIV branding and is the reportedly the first driver to have specific optimizations for this game. It can be downloaded by checking the Beta Drivers box in GeForce Experience and checking for updates. I'm installing it now, hopefully it will finally resolve the random black screen and driver resets I've been getting since launch.

I also assume this means the AMD Gaming Evolved thing with FFXIV has ended, so maybe it will perform better on Nvidia cards now too

Im on a new win 7 install and for the first time my 5870 is on 13.1 I thought it needed sp1 to work but guess not.... the game fucking looks amazing on my system Some towns and areas do go down in the 20s fps wise but it looks soo damn good with sweetfx the game is very bland looking without it.....

WolvenOne

Aaaaand PS3 controller succuessfully installed, via USB. Still looking forward to getting the USB dongle, it's cheap and I should've had one years ago. I'll test it out formally when I get back on tomorrow. Don't want to log in tonight, cause I'm afraid I'll get sucked in. Really need a long nights sleep.

Lucis

OH damn
so informative. I actually read it all, now I feel like I am a loremasta

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Man, I get whispered so much in this game from gold farmers trying to sell me stuff. It's worse than what I ever had to deal with in WoW, and that's saying something. Even more obnoxious is when they flood local chat in one of the capitals with their spam. Won't be long before my blacklist is full up at this point. >_<

MogCakes

I thought Midgardsormr fought the Garlean invasion of its own free will. Also isn't Allag an ancient civilization? The battle for Silvertear Lake wasn't all THAT long ago...

In case y'all haven't realized yet Tiv (Aeana) is trolling you all, she uses a gamepad too. XD

But seriously, I have zero interest in playing this game with a keyboard. You can get all your skills in fine with a gamepad and no macros even.

In case y'all haven't realized yet Tiv (Aeana) is trolling you all, she uses a gamepad too. XD

But seriously, I have zero interest in playing this game with a keyboard. You can get all your skills in fine with a gamepad and no macros even.

Macros are still pretty useful for controller, though. At least for tanking. I don't like swapping the hotbars too much because there's a little bit of delay. I'm sure it'll be smooth on PS4.

I started on ps3 and got a pc key I still play with a pad but using the ds4 instead of the ds3.
Also about the 2.2 patch I hope there are solo instances again. I notice they were missing in the 2.1 main story quest hopefully they're in the 2.2 main story quest.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Tried Cutter's Cry tonight. Really straightforward instance but boy did I suck at Chimera. I was doing the running in and out thing when he did dragon voice but it seemed like there was a delay before he got the spell out. Also, I may not have been getting in close enough. Next time I'll get my face right in his butt. It's the only way to be safe. =p

Also hit 40 on summoner, so have Lvl 3 Aetherdam now. Hurray! =D

WolvenOne

I did log in for a few minutes to test the PS3 controller. Works fine, and I do indeed think I'll have less of a problem with misfired Vokes and such.

This isn't to say this one little thing will make me, "Das Uber gamer!" But, every little bit helps, ya know.

Tabris

I'm thinking about levelling MNK (mainly because it will be so easy getting CT MNK gear and already bought a DL set for it), can you guys show me what your crossbar(s) look like as a MNK with a controller?

Tash

I also assume this means the AMD Gaming Evolved thing with FFXIV has ended, so maybe it will perform better on Nvidia cards now too.

Oh cool, thanks. Will try that tonight.
Also, I went Lala..

Something else, doing Twintania on my SCH for the first time tonight.
With the Virus changes this is what I plan on doing:

Virus on first DS, then E4E and rotate that. Try to have Adlo on tank and precast during DS to top off asap. Is using SS every now and then a good idea? Is it needed?

Other than that Sacred Soil for Snake Spawn and when the adds and main snake get pulled into the middle.

Again Virus on Twin and Sacred Soil by the transition from Divebomb phase to Dreadknights.

Eos, other than during Conflag Phase, should I place her or just have her follow me? I am using all her commands manually anyway so not sure how much faster the heals are on place.

Any input from experienced Twinster Scholars is very welcome :)

dcye

I'm thinking about levelling MNK (mainly because it will be so easy getting CT MNK gear and already bought a DL set for it), can you guys show me what your crossbar(s) look like as a MNK with a controller?

Just lvl Monk and find what's comfortable for you and easy to remember. Looking at someone's lvl50 setup is pointless, they have 20+ skills you don't and hence the layout is all over the shop. Learning each of the classes properly involved learning how the crossbar works best for you at each level, and evolving it and tweaking it every time you get a new ability.

Ken

Any input from experienced Twinster Scholars is very welcome :)

Having Lustrate up for Death Sentence as well as Galvanize is pretty key to not getting your tank killed.

So apparently if you join a CT alliance in progress, there's a chance where during the Thanatos boss you won't go invisible with your alliance.

Tash

Having Lustrate up for Death Sentence as well as Galvanize is pretty key to not getting your tank killed.

So apparently if you join a CT alliance in progress, there's a chance where during the Thanatos boss you won't go invisible with your alliance.

Well, yes of course :)
Mostly looking for any additional CD rotation I should be using.
Thanks though.

Ken

Well, yes of course :)
Mostly looking for any additional CD rotation I should be using.
Thanks though.

Scholars don't really have that much CDs to save though? There's Rouse that should always be down, and uh..? I don't play SCH at a high level though so /shrug.

Tash

Scholars don't really have that much CDs to save though? There's Rouse that should always be down, and uh..? I don't play SCH at a high level though so /shrug.

Virus, Sacred Soil, Eye 4 Eye, Rouse, Whispering Dawn, Fey Convenant etc. CD was probably the wrong choice of word :)

Just wondering if it's more beneficial to help with SS on Fireballs and MB or just keep Adlo and heal up asap with lustrate stacks.

I guess I will find out tonight but I guess I have the general idea down.

Been playing SCH in coil and EX fights exclusively now and I must say, I find it way more fun than WHM and finally getting comfortable with playing one too.
Now if I just had more time to farm the stupid Myth..

Man, I get whispered so much in this game from gold farmers trying to sell me stuff. It's worse than what I ever had to deal with in WoW, and that's saying something. Even more obnoxious is when they flood local chat in one of the capitals with their spam. Won't be long before my blacklist is full up at this point. >_<

Somehow those criminals found another loophole a week ago. I have to block them twice every hour again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom