• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenai

Virus, Sacred Soil, Eye 4 Eye, Rouse, Whispering Dawn, Fey Convenant etc. CD was probably the wrong choice of word :)

Just wondering if it's more beneficial to help with SS on Fireballs and MB or just keep Adlo and heal up asap with lustrate stacks.

I guess I will find out tonight but I guess I have the general idea down.

Been playing SCH in coil and EX fights exclusively now and I must say, I find it way more fun than WHM and finally getting comfortable with playing one too.
Now if I just had more time to farm the stupid Myth..

Unless there's any danger of the fireball one-shotting someone (which is hopefully never going to be the case) I prefer to save my stacks for Lustrates since high tank damage is much more common and spiky (or maybe Energy Drains cause yay damage/mana). Since the group is split up around her it's difficult to justify SS since there's a good chance a large % of the raid won't get/need the effect. A pre-AoE from me followed by a post AoE from my WHM cohealer and myself is more than enough to top ppl off after a fireball.

Tash

Unless there's any danger of the fireball one-shotting someone (which is hopefully never going to be the case) I prefer to save my stacks for Lustrates since high tank damage is much more common and spiky (or maybe Energy Drains cause yay damage/mana). Since the group is split up around her it's difficult to justify SS since there's a good chance a large % of the raid won't get/need the effect. A pre-AoE from me followed by a post AoE from my WHM cohealer and myself is more than enough to top ppl off after a fireball.

Cool, thanks for the input :)

creid

Ugh, my Coil luck ran out this week. I've been one-shotting T1 & 2 for about a month with random PUGs, but wasted the last 2 nights failing at 1 & 2. Is it even possible to do T2 enrage with only 2 (not-stellarly-geared) WHMs? For some reason this group insisted on trying it.

Ultrabum

Ugh, my Coil luck ran out this week. I've been one-shotting T1 & 2 for about a month with random PUGs, but wasted the last 2 nights failing at 1 & 2. Is it even possible to do T2 enrage with only 2 (not-stellarly-geared) WHMs? For some reason this group insisted on trying it.

It's possible with 2 healers, I guess it depends on your definition of stellarly geared.

NeOak

For the Nvidia owners out there, the new beta driver 334.67 has FFXIV branding and is the reportedly the first driver to have specific optimizations for this game. It can be downloaded by checking the Beta Drivers box in GeForce Experience and checking for updates. I'm installing it now, hopefully it will finally resolve the random black screen and driver resets I've been getting since launch.

I also assume this means the AMD Gaming Evolved thing with FFXIV has ended, so maybe it will perform better on Nvidia cards now too.

I wonder if they will add Mantle support.

Valus

For the Nvidia owners out there, the new beta driver 334.67 has FFXIV branding and is the reportedly the first driver to have specific optimizations for this game. It can be downloaded by checking the Beta Drivers box in GeForce Experience and checking for updates. I'm installing it now, hopefully it will finally resolve the random black screen and driver resets I've been getting since launch.

I also assume this means the AMD Gaming Evolved thing with FFXIV has ended, so maybe it will perform better on Nvidia cards now too.

Awesome thanks, I'll check it out! I tried playing in borderless window mode and took off the FPS limitation and didn't experience any crashing last night (someone recommended that on the website). Hopefully I won't have to jump through any more loops with this beta driver.

Sophia

Now that I got the sound working, the PS3 version isn't nearly as bad as people in my guild made it out to be. Wish you could resize the chat log to scale to 80% like you can with every other UI element.

We've done it with two healers. They have to be decently geared (ilevel 75+ preferably) and on the ball however.

Alucrid

Banned
Now that I got the sound working, the PS3 version isn't nearly as bad as people in my guild made it out to be. Wish you could resize the chat log to scale to 80% like you can with every other UI element.

We've done it with two healers. They have to be decently geared (ilevel 75+ preferably) and on the ball however.

Isn't "on the ball" just "spam medica"?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Isn't "on the ball" just "spam medica"?

Well, they have to be "on the ball" enough to not fall asleep.

Seriously though... There is nothing "on the ball" about enrage method T2. It's distasteful and just a method for the under-skilled groups to get gear.

pitbull

Banned
Well, they have to be "on the ball" enough to not fall asleep.

Seriously though... There is nothing "on the ball" about enrage method T2. It's distasteful and just a method for the under-skilled groups to get gear.
lol oh man, dont pick on those poor little guys. I mean if you start asking them to do a fight mechanics then they'll have to start asking us to carry them :/

sidenote: im a pc controller monk player, im pretty bad at the game but I've cleared all content besides dailies.

omlet

My group did t2 the normal way for like 3-4 months. I don't feel even one bit bad about doing enrage mode now.

Is it even possible to do T2 enrage with only 2 (not-stellarly-geared) WHMs? For some reason this group insisted on trying it.

I 2-healered enrage mode in my i75 WHM this week. With a
i90
SCH cohealer, even. Can be easily done without double medica/stoneskin.

Honest to goodness 100% pure undiluted skill right there, baby.

I wish pug groups would learn to pass rot, as easy as enrage mode is, I can't stand it. It's super boring, just stand there and spam Medica/Medica 2...zzzz. What's so hard about passing rot?

Hey guys, so I started playing this when it came out (PC), but due to other commitments/not really enjoying the class I was playing I didn't keep up my sub.

I re-subbed today, and am looking to start a new character from scratch.

Just have a few questions:

I was playing Conjurer when I first played, and since I don't really have much friends playing it and was playing solo, as well as just not really enjoying the class anyway, I want something that's a bit quicker and more suited to solo play.

I was thinking of going 1 of 3 classes:

Archer -> Bard
Arcanist -> Summoner
Lancer-> Dragoon.

Are these good choices? Want something that's active/fun to play and works well solo. I'm mainly playing through for the story and quests etc.

Which of these 3 would you recommend?

Finally, did I miss the Lightning event? I want my Lightning costume for my Miqo'te :(

Aeana

Hey guys, so I started playing this when it came out (PC), but due to other commitments/not really enjoying the class I was playing I didn't keep up my sub.

I was playing Conjurer when I first played, and since I don't really have much friends playing it and was playing solo, as well as just not really enjoying the class anyway, I want something that's a bit quicker and more suited to solo play.

Archer -> Bard
Arcanist -> Summoner
Lancer-> Dragoon.

Are these good choices? Want something that's active/fun to play and works well solo. I'm mainly playing through for the story and quests etc.

Finally, did I miss the Lightning event? I want my Lightning costume for my Miqo'te :(
To be honest, every job can solo just fine. Even white mage. Just play whatever appeals to you most.

The Lightning event is coming back soon.

Lucis

I wish pug groups would learn to pass rot, as easy as enrage mode is, I can't stand it. It's super boring, just stand there and spam Medica/Medica 2...zzzz. What's so hard about passing rot?

It's not,
What's so hard about titan ex?
Don't get hit by shit, memorize a few things, probably easier than that Bio test you took in high school
What's so hard about turn 4?
Stand in the right place, tank flash/op a few time, dps dont fall asleep
What's so hard about twintania?
group up correctly, watch for circle above someone's head, use ffxiv app if you have to for announcement, don't fall asleep

None of them, nothing, it's not hard.

But why can't people do it? Well I don't know, but you are dealt with the cards in your life (and in game, aka the other players). If there's an easier way of doing things, do it, no shame, it's a game. Nothing about rot making it more "fun" than the enrage, i guess you do get to not having to wait that extra 6+ min for the timer to tick down. But that's about it. Rot isn't a new mechanics, anyone who has done any other raiding in other games has probably seen something similar.

WolvenOne

But there's a lot of trial and error involved, since you're not going to know exactly where to stand immediately. In the meantime, you essentially have to re-run a dungeon over and over and over and over and over and over, until everyone in your party gets it, which makes learning it trudgework.

Finally, depending on your party make-up, it may not actually be so easy. Melee DPS for example, have to stand in certain positions in relation to enemies in order to properly dps them down. So for them, it isn't a simple matter of finding the right spot and staying there until it's time to pass rot.

So, no, I don't blame groups for going with the enrage method. There are some aspects of that fight that are really interesting, but they're more than offset by some design decisions that make the fight annoying in certain respects.

Lucis

Holding back my DPS for phase transitions.

:v

On the topic of too much DPS
I had the worst titan EX pug experience last night. I mean I have had PF groups that obviously had NO CHANCE of downing it, that's not as bad as what I had to go through last night.

The group was decent, I looked around, like 5 people had ex weapon equipped, the leader checked for ifrit queue before starting titan. We get in, me and the other tank talked about who takes what and we start.

Phase 1 ended before the second LS, ok DPS is superb.
Phase 2 starts, we are right before second gaol. Titan is already almost at 55%, Gaol happens and titan jumps, heart drop and apparently people forget to break the healer gaol, ok wiped that round.
I start telling people to watch dps a bit, since it's not a race at that point, lets just play it safe. I stop attacking unless im tanking, but DPS went even HARDER, even with out me attacking, titan jumped right after second gaol and no upheaval. It's ok, this time we recover. Titan heart, dps trying to push it down before circular bomb, didn't happen. titan jumped right as he plant bomb a healer dies coz of panic probably
At this point I thought, ok, this group isn't that bad... just need to play safe. 2 more tries of the same problem, dps going way too hard and finally we got to add phase, we do everything fine, during the double weight, someone dies, 0 sec later, he went off line, we were like FUUUU, wipe.
5 min later, he comes back, lets try again, second add phase, the mage was suppose to lb adds, but somehow to lb he got LS off the edge... i mean that's not even a big deal, we can do the last phase with out one dps, but nop, someone decided to jump and wipe
Like this 7 tries in we didn't down titan in a group that obviously could have downed it...

aceface

Archer -> Bard
Arcanist -> Summoner
Lancer-> Dragoon.

I main scholar but it's fun as hell doing solo stuff as summoner. Having your own personal tank that goes everywhere with you is awesome.

Aeana

Holding back my DPS for phase transitions.

:v

For the most part, we don't bother with this anymore, because the line for transitions would change any time anybody changed gear. Now we've got it worked out where people can pretty much max DPS and that makes the fight a breeze.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
But there's a lot of trial and error involved, since you're not going to know exactly where to stand immediately. In the meantime, you essentially have to re-run a dungeon over and over and over and over and over and over, until everyone in your party gets it, which makes learning it trudgework.

Finally, depending on your party make-up, it may not actually be so easy. Melee DPS for example, have to stand in certain positions in relation to enemies in order to properly dps them down. So for them, it isn't a simple matter of finding the right spot and staying there until it's time to pass rot.

So, no, I don't blame groups for going with the enrage method. There are some aspects of that fight that are really interesting, but they're more than offset by some design decisions that make the fight annoying in certain respects.

God forbid you have to learn something as a group.

Melee dps doesn't matter in T2. My group runs with 2 (DRG and MNK). I (the DRG) have the job of getting the rot if it's on either tank or the MNK and passing it to the next guy in the cycle. I also have to pay attention enough to stop dpsing, pick up rot, and be the 5th person in the rot cycle.

Sure I don't get to stand on the boss the whole time, but since I have my head out of my ass, it rarely ever causes our group grief. At most it takes 2 shots to down it, generally it gets one shotted.

It's not bad design, it is pure lazyness on the player's part.
I hope they incorporate more rot-like mechanics into the next round of turns that can't be exploited to stop those people in their tracks.

Lucis

Melee dps doesn't matter in T2. My group runs with 2 (DRG and MNK). I (the DRG) have the job of getting the rot if it's on either tank or the MNK and passing it to the next guy in the cycle. I also have to pay attention enough to stop dpsing, pick up rot, and be the 5th person in the rot cycle.

Sure I don't get to stand on the boss the whole time, but since I have my head out of my ass, it rarely ever causes our group grief. At most it takes 2 shots to down it, generally it gets one shotted.

I hope they incorporate more rot-like mechanics into the next round of turns that can't be exploited to stop those people in their tracks.

There's elitist that doesn't want to associate with people of lesser skill.
Then there's elitist pricks who can't stand the fact someone got it easier than how they had to do somethings.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
There's elitist that doesn't want to associate with people of lesser skill.
Then there's elitist pricks who can't stand the fact someone got it easier than how they had to do somethings.

I've taken many new people through T2 in our static as members couldn't make it. We just teach them what to do and get it done.

I am not butthurt that these people are doing something easier, I'm just hoping their choice to be lazy about learning mechanics screws them over.

Half-assery is a peeve of mine. I guess that's why this method irks me the way it does.

omlet

On the topic of too much DPS
I had the worst titan EX pug experience last night. I mean I have had PF groups that obviously had NO CHANCE of downing it, that's not as bad as what I had to go through last night.

The group was decent, I looked around, like 5 people had ex weapon equipped, the leader checked for ifrit queue before starting titan. We get in, me and the other tank talked about who takes what and we start.

I've had a few runs like this lol... other monk was like "why aren't you using your cooldowns?!" and I'm like "I don't need to before heart with this group." One run went poorly and everyone's like "more DPS, use your cooldowns before heart" so I did like they asked and things were even worse because of too much DPS. After that they shut up about my cooldowns and let me pace myself and we won a few tries later. I'd probably have more titan ex horror stories but after getting 6 tokens worth of wins I haven't really gone back for more; no real incentive to.

For the most part, we don't bother with this anymore, because the line for transitions would change any time anybody changed gear. Now we've got it worked out where people can pretty much max DPS and that makes the fight a breeze.

Exaggerating a bit, we really only have to hold back on the first phase before the first link drops just to make sure we get DS timing right. We just do it to be on the safe side since we have plenty of DPS to never worry about enrage. After that we typically don't have to hold back now that we're doing 1tank method for the last couple weeks. With two PLDs we'd usually have to watch our timing on the last conflag before divebombs.

Alex

I'm thinking about levelling MNK (mainly because it will be so easy getting CT MNK gear and already bought a DL set for it), can you guys show me what your crossbar(s) look like as a MNK with a controller?

At work, can't snap images, but I'll write what I've been using.

Dragon Kick, Twin Snakes, Snap Punch then a Shoulder Tackle + Steel Peak macro on left face buttons.

Bootshine, True Strike, Demolish then a Rockbreaker+ Howling Fist macro on right face buttons

Touch of Death, Fracture, Limit Break then a Perfect Balance + Snap Punch Macro on extended right face buttons

Fists of Earth/Fire/Wind/Food on extended left face buttons

Mantra + Second Wind "healing" macro, Keen Flurry + Featherfoot + Bloodbath "defense" macro", Invigorate on right D-Pad.

Return, Teleport, Mount, Minion on left D-Pad.

Offensive cool downs are set to the first hit in each positional opener, for me (Bood for Bood, Internal Release) probably will change at some point, as I'm still in earlier content and just BfB whenever I please currently. Still gotta get Mercy Stroke and tune some things but after fooling around for awhile this was the best general feeling setup for me, got room for it, extended bars help a lot. Monk is a ton of fun and helped revive the game for me.

saher

Banned
Started blm relic quest today and just finished it!!! This is crazy because I remember my first relic quest took me one month to finish.

Things have changed.

WolvenOne

Learning something as part of a group isn't the problem. The problem is that you have to effectively re-run a dungeon every time you want to try. That IS bad design. The only incentive for doing it the proper way, is that it'd be a little faster than using the enrage method once learned. However, it could take a dozen tries or more for everyone in your party to get the hang of passing rot, this is especially true if it's a pug group and everyone isn't used to playing with each other. That means you have to take about five minutes before every attempt, just to get back to that point.

Multiply that by twelve (high end estimate.), and you're talking about an additional hour of repetitive mindless mini-boss battles, before you even factor in the time on the actual boss. Now, for a static, that might not be a big deal, particularly if it's a static composed of players whom can all pour a large amount of time into the game.

For pugs however, that's a huge problem. It means they have to willingly choose to take a fight, that could be completed in ten minutes, and willingly make it far far longer, every week. You call that laziness, but I very much doubt you'd be willing to run Turn 2 using the Rot method, if you had to deal with groups relearning the fight week after week.

So you know what, just, stop. This little tangent of yours is just obnoxious. If a group would rather use the enrage method for whatever reason, that's none of your business.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Learning something as part of a group isn't the problem. The problem is that you have to effectively re-run a dungeon every time you want to try. That IS bad design. The only incentive for doing it the proper way, is that it'd be a little faster than using the enrage method once learned. However, it could take a dozen tries or more for everyone in your party to get the hang of passing rot, this is especially true if it's a pug group and everyone isn't used to playing with each other. That means you have to take about five minutes before every attempt, just to get back to that point.

Multiply that by twelve (high end estimate.), and you're talking about an additional hour of repetitive mindless mini-boss battles, before you even factor in the time on the actual boss. Now, for a static, that might not be a big deal, particularly if it's a static composed of players whom can all pour a large amount of time into the game.

For pugs however, that's a huge problem. It means they have to willingly choose to take a fight, that could be completed in ten minutes, and willingly make it far far longer, every week. You call that laziness, but I very much doubt you'd be willing to run Turn 2 using the Rot method, if you had to deal with groups relearning the fight week after week.

So you know what, just, stop. This little tangent of yours is just obnoxious. If a group would rather use the enrage method for whatever reason, that's none of your business.

The fight is at most 12 minutes long since each click is a minute. Calling that "rerunning an entire dungeon" is pretty ridiculous. It is not bad design. Twintania itself takes that amount of time.

If coil turns were meant to be pugged, they would be in duty finder.

Ken

What's so hard about titan ex?
Don't get hit by shit, memorize a few things, probably easier than that Bio test you took in high school

As a biologist I find this offensive.

iCQfyjQdKpWbf.png

WolvenOne

The fight is at most 12 minutes long since each click is a minute. Calling that "rerunning an entire dungeon" is pretty ridiculous. It is not bad design. Twintania itself takes that amount of time.

If coil turns were meant to be pugged, they would be in duty finder.

Again, that is if you're running the whole dungeon once. The chance of a pug group being able to do that is pretty minimal. When they first start out especially, they're likely to be a bit under-geared for the fight. So, they learn about the enrage method, which itself is an indicator of how badly designed the fight is, and learn how to do it that way.

I can't blame them, if they're rerunning the fight every week, reteaching people how to pass rot properly, and essentially banging their heads against a wall, I, can't, blame, them.

And whats more, I've got to reiterate, it isn't, any, of your business, how other people choose to run Turn 2. It simply isn't. So stop being an obnoxious little busy body. If groups want to do it that way, "fine."

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Again, that is if you're running the whole dungeon once. The chance of a pug group being able to do that is pretty minimal. When they first start out especially, they're likely to be a bit under-geared for the fight. So, they learn about the enrage method, which itself is an indicator of how badly designed the fight is, and learn how to do it that way.

I can't blame them, if they're rerunning the fight every week, reteaching people how to pass rot properly, and essentially banging their heads against a wall, I, can't, blame, them.

And whats more, I've got to reiterate, it isn't, any, of your business, how other people choose to run Turn 2. It simply isn't. So stop being an obnoxious little busy body. If groups want to do it that way, "fine."

Looks like I angered a devout user of the T2 enrage method.

studyguy

All this salt over how other people run Coil.
Get over it guys, I don't like the enrage method, but the devs themselves say we were running Coil wrong by how they expected us to run it in the first place with PLD being overpowered.

Who cares, it still takes coordination to surmount T4 & T5, so sleeping past T2 is hardly a thing. I'm sure some people still throw their tanks into conflags and that sets some people off. Whatever man, it'll all be meaningless in less than two months anyway.

On an aside, I'd imagine the enrage method's net effect will just be hard enrages hitting through all the next coils. If not, then whatever, SE can't learn from its mistakes. This is no different than those people in 1.0 who kited Curious George in the WAR quest so he couldn't hit you vs fighting him outright.

Teletraan1

Banned
Lol does anyone actually think anyone would do something that isn't the path of least resistance in a game where people level with fates, beckon quests and farming the first room of a pretty easy dungeon. I would hope that nobody is surprised that people suck at dodging things, find Pharos too hard or have a tough time with raid mechanics.

Sophia

Rot-style mechanics are pretty difficult for people to get the hang of, at least for the average player. I can't fault anyone for wanting to do it the enrage method.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Ahh, so that's the way you're going to be huh. Can't win a debate fair and square, so you resort to insults. Dude, really. XD

I wasn't aware we entered a formal debate.
I could point out the fact that linkshells, partyfinder, and the structure of previous fights encourage the use of static groups and many that don't form them are crying that they should be "obligated" to coil gear. But I digress.

WolvenOne

Lol does anyone actually think anyone would do something that isn't the path of least resistance in a game where people level with fates, beckon quests and farming the first room of a pretty easy dungeon. I would hope that nobody is surprised that people suck at dodging things, find Pharos too hard or have a tough time with raid mechanics.

To be fair to the community, for a lot of people, this is their first MMO. I mean, between attracting a large number of JRPG fans, being one of the few MMO's available on consoles, and so on and so forth.

It's not surprising that a large number of players are less experienced. That should change in time.

WolvenOne

I wasn't aware we entered a formal debate.
I could point out the fact that linkshells, partyfinder, and the structure of previous fights encourage the use of static groups and many that don't form them are crying that they should be "obligated" to coil gear. But I digress.

Dude, not everybody can find static groups. That shouldn't prevent them from experiencing a large chunk of the games content. If they can swing these raids without static groups, more power to them.

Also, again, it's none of your bloody blasted business. XD

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Dude, not everybody can find static groups. That shouldn't prevent them from experiencing a large chunk of the games content. If they can swing these raids without static groups, more power to them.

Also, again, it's none of your bloody blasted business. XD

They can experience the content after later patches nerf it for PUGs. I don't feel bad for them if they don't put in the effort to form or join a static. It's a damn MMO, go make some friends.

Sophia

To be fair to the community, for a lot of people, this is their first MMO. I mean, between attracting a large number of JRPG fans, being one of the few MMO's available on consoles, and so on and so forth.

It's not surprising that a large number of players are less experienced. That should change in time.

Also relevant is the fact that while FFXIV is on the whole much easier then other MMORPGs that have come and gone, the timing for mechanics in this game is one area where it is significantly harder then say.... World of Warcraft.

It can be hard to understand how players can fail at a mechanic if you've got several years of experience playing these types of games. Especially considering a lot of newer players have a bit of a defeatist mentality regarding content.

frequency

FFXIV:ARR has some pretty strict dodging compared to other games in the genre. It's made worse by the generally poor server location choice and that position updates are all done server side.

Shouta

Sacred Soil needs a buff really. 10% isn't good enough with its duration right now. If us SCHs are supposed to be preventing or reducing damage, then it needs to be significant enough to justify it. Plopping down a Sacred Soil needs to be near the same benefit as a Lustrate and not just in healing but in practicality.

It's like Eye for an Eye giving you a 20% chance to reduce damage by 10% (or how much ever it is) which is ridiculously stupid.

WolvenOne

They can experience the content after later patches nerf it for PUGs. I don't feel bad for them if they don't put in the effort to form or join a static. It's a damn MMO, go make some friends.

Yeeeeeeaaaah, so in a game with limited content, people should willingly abstain from experiencing existing content, because they aren't as leet as you.

Dude, get real. If they can swing these fights without a static, they deserve to experience them, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom