• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaccard

seinfeld-not-impressed.gif

I have no idea what that is, but my justification goes beyond what the dev has said, but to a more logical standpoint why they won't do it, of course if you read that, that is.

Infamous lvl 49(?) FATE. It allowed "easy" and "fast exp" by using the fact enemies will keep popping unless you killed certain ones. It was allowed in the first weeks until it was patched later (I think it was because griefing started to spread, people would try to held hostage other players with the menace of killing the enemies that would inmediatly end the FATE)

Alex

I have no idea what that is, but my justification goes beyond what the dev has said, but to a more logical standpoint why they won't do it, of course if you read that, that is.

It was a fate that players used to prolong and grind the mobs on. I remember Square said they weren't planning on changing it then... they changed it!

For that, I could understand some internal confusion but the whole thing with Warrior was just dumb and Yoshida should have really, really known better to lay out the line he originally did. Warrior was fucked and the entire community knew it.

I don't know about this new thing with Turn 2, or whatever, I haven't been in Coil since we finished Twintania and that was prior to 2.1, but my opinion would be is just to enjoy whatever you do now, you can always adapt IF something changes.

Lucis

Infamous lvl 49(?) FATE. It allowed "easy" and "fast exp" by using the fact enemies will keep popping unless you killed certain ones. It was allowed in the first weeks until it was patched later (I think it was because griefing started to spread, people would try to held hostage other players with the menace of killing the enemies that would inmediatly end the FATE)

You kinda can still do that with turn in quest though.
And I think the impact on one single FATE compared to 1/5 (1/4 actually) of the end game raid on lock out, is pretty small.

WolvenOne

Problem is, for most things, unless you're rolling a straight static rotation that wouldn't really work without peppering a bunch of additional keys just to prop it up, which is no fun.

Expansions might get a little scary in this game for controller/console users unless they take precautions and remove some of the ability bloat that plagues hotkey MMOs as they add new things.

A lot of rotations in this game are fairly static. I don't know about monk rotations, but I think this would work just fine for WAR and DRG rotations.

Sophia

Acknowledging that a method is a valid strategy is not the same as saying "We will never change this ever."

I wouldn't be surprised if minor changes were made to the enrage method in Patch 2.2 to put it about on even difficulty with the rot method. I also wouldn't be surprised if they just left it alone.

Ken

A lot of rotations in this game are fairly static. I don't know about monk rotations, but I think this would work just fine for WAR and DRG rotations.

Probably. I could see your proposed macro working if they slipped in the ability for combos to show up as their own move.

/ac "Combo Butchers Block"
/ac "Combo Skull Sunder"
/ac "Heavy Swing"

Or whatever the moves are called.

WolvenOne

Probably. I could see your proposed macro working if they slipped in the ability for combos to show up as their own move.

/ac "Heavy Swing"
/ac "Combo Skull Sunder"
/ac "Combo Butchers Block"

Or whatever the moves are called.

No, you're right. I was in a hurry and didn't double check the names earlier. XD

But, yeah, it might not work for every class. I have no idea what funky rotations there are in the Monk class. For most classes though the rotations appear relatively simple. So being able to map a combo to a single button should work, if, they ever decided to let people do it.

They may have to at some point actually. It really depends on how many additional abilities they add when they start upping the level caps.

Ken

No, you're right. I was in a hurry and didn't double check the names earlier. XD

But, yeah, it might not work for every class. I have no idea what funky rotations there are in the Monk class. For most classes though the rotations appear relatively simple. So being able to map a combo to a single button should work, if, they ever decided to let people do it.

They may have to at some point actually. It really depends on how many additional abilities they add when they start upping the level caps.

Monk class macros work because you simply can't use certain moves unless you're in the proper stance. This is unlike every other class because you can still do moves without comboing into it. If you order the moves correctly in the macro, the macro will try to fire off whichever works first.

I don't use macros on my MNK but it certainly works and the advantage of simplifying one's hotbar is always valid.

chrono01

But I hear you guys already have full i90 healers, and look, kagari is starting the arcanist quest line. Time to play scholar kagari and get that healer chest piece from coil. Bookey was looking super fly in it last night during chimera
If you're a healer [or a Dragoon, for that matter] our Coil group is a treasure-trove of riches. Loot falls from the sky and suffocates us all.

I really am convinced that it's the game's way of telling me to level a healer. It seems Kagari learned this ahead of myself, as did a few more members in the group. I'm not sure how long I will last before leveling one myself. This game, at least Coil and towards my group, is very cruel. ;_;

studyguy

But if they considered it a exploit or a problem with how the battle was designed they would have said so. In 1.X Garuda could be easily blasted just burning it with BLM then they quickly said it was a mistake in how they designed the battle and then they changed it.

Is 100% different in how they reacted now. As studyguy said this will likely affect in how they will design future content, but I don't see any reason to backtrack from these comments.

Yo, to be fair.
EVERYTHING in 1.0 could be blasted to hell and back with BLM stacking so long as it wasn't magic resistant. Poor Ifrit got it on the regular.

Also again, most XIV design changes have historically not been immediately reactive unless they go oh shit we fucked up bad. People couldn't handle Ifrit's plumes due to latency in 1.0, so what they did they do for Garuda in later patches when it first appeared? No real plumes till ARR.

It's how it always goes, and yeah exceptions exist. The god damn WAR class is literally the only class that has gone through 3 complete skill revisions since its inception. They've fucked that class 3 ways from Sunday to get to where it is now. SE always learns from it's mistakes, but of course they always learn slowly.

If you're a healer [or a Dragoon, for that matter] our Coil group is a treasure-trove of riches. Loot falls from the sky and suffocates us all.

I really am convinced that it's the game's way of telling me to level a healer. It seems Kagari learned this ahead of myself, as did a few more members in the group. I'm not sure how long I will last before leveling one myself. This game, at least Coil and towards my group, is very cruel. ;_;

You should run with our group, 85 percent casting gear. We just got our second alagan coat and choker this past week

dcye

Hey guys,

Attempting Twin seriously for the first time this week. I main as a DRG, is there anything special I should know or is a video enough to give me an idea of what to expect. They've cleared before multiple times and if I do well I should be moving into these guys' static so I don't want to fuck up too badly.

I'll take any tips you've got. thanks :)

Lucis

Hey guys,

Attempting Twin seriously for the first time this week. I main as a DRG, is there anything special I should know or is a video enough to give me an idea of what to expect. They've cleared before multiple times and if I do well I should be moving into these guys' static so I don't want to fuck up too badly.

I find this video way better than mr happy's long and babbling 30 min video
concise and to the point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anq6_iVjUHo

studyguy

Hey guys,

Shove your spear up that dragon's ass.
DPS's job in twin is pretty easy, do straight damage to whatever your current target is and run like a bitch during liquid hell bursts. I would run too, but I'm stuck standing in them as a tank. Learning when to pop cooldowns for conflag bursts is probably the biggest first hurdle as a DPS, but other than that it's slapping Twin or a snake in the ass and calling it a day.

You'll do fine, good luck.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Hey guys,

Don't stand in fire.

Save cooldowns for hard colflags. (2, 4, 6)
When you use Blood-for-Blood, do so on the fireball before the hard conflag or else it won't be up in time for the next hard conflag.

When dodging twisters, be sure not to cross streams with the tank, offtank, ranged, and other melee dps (if your group has another)

Don't use any stun moves on the Dreadnight. That is the PLD's duty and if you stun at all, it increases the resistance.

Bring STR potions and your A-game for that damned big snake

Don't get nervous when you are at low HP. In Twister phase, the only person taking any damage is the MT and anybody else gets 1 shot if they get hit by anything. Because of this, it is wise for your healers to put all their attention on the MT until things are safe. So don't be surprised to run around at 50% hp for a while.

Keep your debuffs on Twin if possible during twisters to ensure she gets to hatches as quickly as possible.

WolvenOne

Monk class macros work because you simply can't use certain moves unless you're in the proper stance. This is unlike every other class because you can still do moves without comboing into it. If you order the moves correctly in the macro, the macro will try to fire off whichever works first.

I don't use macros on my MNK but it certainly works and the advantage of simplifying one's hotbar is always valid.

Huh, I did not know that. Probably be awhile before I level Monk I think. XD

But, yeah, I wish things like this were possible. Itd certainly greatly simplify things. Which is of course, the game design holy grail, easy to learn difficult to master.

Alex

In theory they work, in execution they will often clip back to Bootshine or Dragon Kick because the game is latency heavy and the client and server simply do not always agree!

Even when they do go off properly it's still supppperr clunky due to the way macros work in this. I tried it for the sake of trying it then moved right on back.

Ken

In theory they work, in execution they will often clip back to Bootshine or Dragon Kick because the game is latency heavy and the client and server simply do not always agree agree.

Even if they do work it's still supppperr clunky. I tried it for the sake of trying it then moved right on back.

Yeah I'm not sure about the nuances of the MNK macros in practice since I never bothered to use them myself.

WolvenOne

Can I somehow skip the main parts of darklight armor as a Warrior? It looks really shitty :/

Run WP until you have AF2 armor pieces, or, get enough drops to squeak past the Armor Requirements for Crystal Tower, and start collecting CT armor.

Just, don't main tank king behemoth and you'll be fine.

Alex

Crystal Tower.

Laziness aside I kind of like the DL armor for tanks. :eek:

Then again I usually prefer full sets of tincan armor. I ran all of Demon's Souls with the starting Fluted Knight set zzz.

I just think the posturing is funny, like you can't move your neck at all and it looks so awkward.

Schuhu

Neo Member
That, and there are zero options to see your characters face. I, kinda forgot what he looked like there, for awhile. XD

That was my main concern with the set, guess I should replace my breast piece from the warrior questline with the ilvl 90 mythology thingy to boost my ilvl

MogCakes

If you're a mage and you wear those darn cowls, there's a good chance you'll forget what your character looked like, I know I did when I leveled WHM.

moar RELIC TIME

I hate cowls and tincan enough now that I will never wear them even if they provide better performance.

WolvenOne

Ah, uh, went grocery shopping, caught in a bad storm. Should be back in time for Twintania practice. Just letting everyone know, so you aren't wondering where I am.

Bah, snow!!!

MogCakes

Garuda is such a wench. I've tried the fight almost 20 times now and still no win.

Speaking of, when she does her 'destroy all remaining pillars' attack I always get caught in it and die no matter what the state of my pillar is. I'm assuming that attack is a defense check? Or a gear check.

Ken

Speaking of, when she does her 'destroy all remaining pillars' attack I always get caught in it and die no matter what the state of my pillar is. I'm assuming that attack is a defense check? Or a gear check.

Reckoning's damage isn't affected by if you're hiding behind a rock or not, only how many rocks remain.

Wilsongt

Oh. Now it all makes sense. So it's a gear check and a 'how well have you defended your pillars' check.

Not even that. It's a DPS check. Kill the plumes so they don't damage the pillars, kill Suprana so she doesn't damage the pillars too much. As long as you have at least 9+ rocks, you're fine.

MogCakes, you're a SMN, correctamundo? Swiftcast Tri Disaster when the plumes appear around Garuda so they won't go flying everywhere for a moment, allowing everyone else to AOE them to hell and back. It works, I'm a SMN

WolvenOne

MogCakes, you're a SMN, correctamundo? Swiftcast Tri Disaster when the plumes appear around Garuda so they won't go flying everywhere for a moment, allowing everyone else to AOE them to hell and back. It works, I'm a SMN

Better make certain the Spiny plume is nowhere in site first though.

Or, are we talking about Garuda HM?

Jayhawk

I wish people had a clearer idea regarding the stat weights for MNK. MNK is my 2nd 50 class, and I am done with spending myth on my 1st 50. I'd rather not spend myth on MNK pieces when I can get similar pices from Coil. The MNK in my Coil group already has most of the drops from first few turns. I got the Allagan pants to drop, but most BiS sets prefer the myth pants.

Ken

I wish people had a clearer idea regarding the stat weights for MNK. MNK is my 2nd 50 class, and I am done with spending myth on my 1st 50. I'd rather not spend myth on MNK pieces when I can get similar pices from Coil. The MNK in my Coil group already has most of the drops from first few turns. I got the Allagan pants to drop, but most BiS sets prefer the myth pants.

Isn't it just ACC > STR > DET > CRIT? And that most of the Myth pieces are terrible?

MogCakes

Yep, I know better now. Tri-D + Bane and then lots of blizzard spam is what I go with currently. Still, given the last time I fought Garuda was in a PUG and our coordination wasn't amazing, we had less than ideal pillars when Reckoning came.

If you're a mage and you wear those darn cowls, there's a good chance you'll forget what your character looked like, I know I did when I leveled WHM.

I wore no cowls from 0 to 50 on BLM. It was a conscious decision but I had no problems leveling it up.

Now I wear the CT chest and no cowl at 50 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom