• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

What do you Warriors cross class besides the obvious Provoke?

Trying hard
From GLD Flash is another biggie. Also get Conval & Awareness as an option if you want I guess.
Usually roll with Second Wind, Internal Release, Convalescence, Provoke, Featherfoot or Flash

Isaccard

Trying hard
From GLD Flash is another biggie. Also get Conval & Awareness as an option if you want I guess.
Usually roll with Second Wind, Internal Release, Convalescence, Provoke, Featherfoot or Flash

I feel like Steel Cyclone now negates any reason to CC Flash anymore, except maybe to spam after Berserk.

studyguy

I feel like Steel Cyclone now negates any reason to CC Flash anymore, except maybe to spam after Berserk.

It really does, but I mean what else are you using that MP for?
Also the fact that Awareness now lets crit heals through is nice as well, but it's still sort of useless for WARs. Either way, WAR cross class is still far, far better than the PLD cross class options... which are like none.

Mudo

So, I bought FFXIV at launch (PC and PS3) and played for a month but then stopped as I was getting bored. Everything was going fine, I reached the requirements to unlock White Mage on my character and then remember I was running around zones trying to join FATES and getting frustrated with basically hitting a wall for experience/levelling.

Has anything changed since the first month that I should re-sub for? I LOVED the graphics/music and really everything up until i seemed to hit that wall. Any advice is appreciated - I'm MMO-less right now and that makes me sad.

Leunam

I'm trying to come back after being away for months. Did Warrior/Marauder get any updates? I was leveling Gladiator so I can play a Paladin but I've thought about going the Warrior route also.

Ken

I'm trying to come back after being away for months. Did Warrior/Marauder get any updates? I was leveling Gladiator so I can play a Paladin but I've thought about going the Warrior route also.

WAR got nice buffs and are at a good spot now.

Lucis

Has there been any serious debate/dev commenting on the fact that bonus stat is class based?

Started to play SMN/SCH more seriously and the fact that bonus point can't be optimized between the 2 (unless you spend 10k GC point every time you want to switch) kinda bothers me.

Look at it, I believe every ilevel is about 4 stat point on your primary status on average. That means at 30 deficit, you would be gimping yourself about 7.5 ilevel worth of your primary status. at a 15/15 split you would be gimping both classes at about ~4 ilevel worth of primary status.

While this game is not as tightly tuned (at the availability of higher ilevel item and how they can be obtained through tome). being a better player can over come the ~4 ilevel worth of primary status pretty easily. However it still bothers me that if this was well thought out from the developer stand point. There shouldn't be a barrier like this IMO for player that would like to mainly play both of the arcanist jobs. Maybe what they can do is having arcanist having it's own bonus point, and also give both SMN/SCH their individual bonus point setup. When you equip the soul, you not only you equip a "job", but you also switch to that branch of status allocation.

studyguy

Has there been any serious debate/dev commenting on the fact that bonus stat is class based?

More than you can imagine. Originally in XIV, bonus stats were leveled independently. Physical levels they were called and you gained stat points through leveling it. When Yoshi came in, it was decided that the whole system would be worked from the ground up.

He put a vote to the players on what they wanted and they chose the method we currently have.
Anyone interested in the development should look into the old player poll results, they absolutely had an impact on mechanics and large decisions were left to the players themselves.

The bonus point allotment system was intended to be a means by which players could customize their character's individuality. The free distribution of attribute points has given rise to certain problems, however, such as compatibility issues with the Armoury system, and the lowered effectiveness of the attributes themselves. In particular, this lowered effectiveness of attributes also extends its influence to items, and is therefore something that we feel must be rectified. To do so, we are currently looking into the following two options:
1.Removal of the bonus point system, and the addition of automatic allotment of attribute points based on class.
2.Removal of physical levels, and the addition of class-specific allotment of attribute points for each class based on rank.

8. Would you prefer option 1, option 2, or the current system?

2 Won.

Lucis

More than you can imagine. Originally in XIV, bonus stats were leveled independently. Physical levels they were called and you gained stat points through leveling it. When Yoshi came in, it was decided that the whole system would be worked from the ground up.

He put a vote to the players on what they wanted and they chose the method we currently have.
Anyone interested in the development should look into the old player poll results, they absolutely had an impact on mechanics and large decisions were left to the players themselves.

Bonus point is ok, I have no problem with it, but I am not sure if the players thought it through for two job coming out the same class with 2 different primary status.

studyguy

Bonus point is ok, I have no problem with it, but I am not sure if the players thought it through for two job coming out the same class with 2 different primary status.

A lot of the arguing going on was about players not having that kind of foresight at that time. For whatever the choices were, ARR players have to live with the decisions made.

Lucis

A lot of the arguing going on was about players not having that kind of foresight at that time. For whatever the choices were, ARR players have to live with the decisions made.

I can imagine that making bonus point both class and job specific can't be a hard change, if they want to do it, they can do it easily. Imagine DPS job coming out of GLD/MRD, it would really exacerbate the problem even more, maybe at that time it would get more attention, since there is only 1 class with 2 job now.

aceface

I do smn/sch and I always saw the point allocation thing as the trade off for getting to level 2 jobs at once. For lower level content you can do either regardless of point allocation but for endgame you have to pick one or the other, I don't think that's unfair. I picked scholar just because I like healing more.

studyguy

I can imagine that making bonus point both class and job specific can't be a hard change, if they want to do it, they can do it easily. Imagine DPS job coming out of GLD/MRD, it would really exacerbate the problem even more, maybe at that time it would get more attention, since there is only 1 class with 2 job now.

PS3 LIMITATIONS!
I agree though, so beats me. Maybe they'll fix it when more jobs come out.

CLBridges

Just finished Copperbell Mines for the first time and I'm in love with this game. Now, it's time to get my chocobo finally!

Congrats! Feels good when you mount up for the first time. I've been absent from this game for a few weeks, but still have an active subscription. Think I'll hop on and finally try to get my Bard up to level 50.

komorebi

Is the GAF Free Company full or something? I registered on the site and was accepted but my PMs are being ignored so I guess I'm asking the wrong person for help. Just trying to figure out how this works. FFXI was so much simpler when it came to Linkshells.

Ken

Is the GAF Free Company full or something? I registered on the site and was accepted but my PMs are being ignored so I guess I'm asking the wrong person for help. Just trying to figure out how this works. FFXI was so much simpler when it came to Linkshells.

Maybe they're offline or in a duty? Assuming by PMs you mean tellls in game. Not sure what the deal is with PMing on the guildworks site.

Aeana

Who have you sent PMs to?

Aeana

Maple Cookie on the Guildworks site. Since he/she's the one who started it and added me I figured that's who I should ask.

Oh. I don't know how notifications are handled on Guildworks. You should send a tell in-game to one of:

Maple Cookie
Strawberry Shortcake
Safflower Amariyo
Tiv Einsfell (me)
Elliott Kirkland
Guy Incognito
Remiel Cathetel
Renault Cathetel
Mira Mora

Stuart444

So just tried Ifrit HM again, had 4 failures, 3 wins since yesterday (including this one which was a failure).

We were doing good during a few of the tries, the healer was new along with a DPS.

Just before the last attempt, the new healer got vote kicked. Both me and Alice who I was with voted no while obviously the rest voted yes (well maybe not the rest but at least enough for a majority vote). They got kicked and we got another healer.

The reason for being kicked: Offline... while she was casting stoneskin. We still never got it done after that because after the next wipe, one DPS accused tanks of not knowing how to stun while the tanks called the rest of us failures. I just initiated the vote abandon as I wasn't interested in a mug slinging contest like that.

Still the vote kick abuse annoys me, one of them (the DPS that said the tanks don't know how to stun) even admitted in chat when someone asked why the previous healer was kicked. "She a noob healer" he said.

I tried to report it (via report harassment in the support desk in-game) and of course, I could type nothing into the text box. Alice tried it on PS3 and nothing and I even switched to KB+M set up and nothing. Just fantastic.

Anyway yeah, just needed to rant. I'm sure many of you will have seen plenty of vote kick abuse in the game anyway and I doubt SE does anything about it. Bleh.

dcye

Ifrit used to be a fun DF before they fixed the stunning in there, now none of the people understand the stun mechanic and because all the strat videos are from pre-fix everyone blames the tanks for missing stuns. So dumb. I used to randomly DF it for funsies but now I don't bother.

Isaccard

So just tried Ifrit HM again, had 4 failures, 3 wins since yesterday (including this one which was a failure).

We were doing good during a few of the tries, the healer was new along with a DPS.

Just before the last attempt, the new healer got vote kicked. Both me and Alice who I was with voted no while obviously the rest voted yes (well maybe not the rest but at least enough for a majority vote). They got kicked and we got another healer.

The reason for being kicked: Offline... while she was casting stoneskin. We still never got it done after that because after the next wipe, one DPS accused tanks of not knowing how to stun while the tanks called the rest of us failures. I just initiated the vote abandon as I wasn't interested in a mug slinging contest like that.

Still the vote kick abuse annoys me, one of them (the DPS that said the tanks don't know how to stun) even admitted in chat when someone asked why the previous healer was kicked. "She a noob healer" he said.

I tried to report it (via report harassment in the support desk in-game) and of course, I could type nothing into the text box. Alice tried it on PS3 and nothing and I even switched to KB+M set up and nothing. Just fantastic.

Anyway yeah, just needed to rant. I'm sure many of you will have seen plenty of vote kick abuse in the game anyway and I doubt SE does anything about it. Bleh.

I got accused of trolling an entire CT because after tanking bone dragon in the middle and responding only with "u mad?" to a verbal lashing from another groups healer. I went to go make food after they peeled it off me and they wiped at 3% health left. I guess someone initiated vote abandoned and then that was the end of that CT. Honestly it was rather amusing, CT sure bring out the worst in people.

/rant

Perhaps "deal with it" would've been the more appropriate response. It seems like once people learn to do something a certain way, any other different method is completely unacceptable. I've seen people sabotage groups for tanking BD in the middle just to prove their point.

Sophia

You can and should report this. GMs can see what was happening at the time of the kick and everyone who voted yes will get in well deserved trouble.

Ken

You can and should report this. GMs can see what was happening at the time of the kick and everyone who voted yes will get in well deserved trouble.

Yes, this for sure. I had a healer in Ifrit EM rage and idled until we kicked her. Reported her and was surprised I actually got a reply that they were going to investigate the griefing incident.

Worst Coil group to be renamed Coil Group Drowning in Caster loot

please make it stop

Alagan casting pants BIS for SMN my foot, dumb things killed my accuracy by ten points, back to incredibly short SMN myth skirt.

Lucis

please make it stop

Alagan casting pants BIS for SMN my foot, dumb things killed my accuracy by ten points, back to incredibly short SMN myth skirt.

I'll take those caster loot off your hands, it's ok though whenever i join a coil, it only drop tank or bard loot

Stuart444

I tried but report harassment (the most applicable thing in the support desk) is broken, can't type in it and the word 'send' is missing (aka the button is blank where it should read 'send') and when I googled it, they allow RMT and bug reports via the website but only direct you to in-game for harassment.

Unless I've missed another place I can report it?

edit: I heard re logging works (though you might need to do it a few times), guess I'll try that.

edit 2: I log out and now I can't get back in again, just perfect. (system error 2146697211). I'll just try and report it tomorrow if I can log in again.

komorebi

Oh. I don't know how notifications are handled on Guildworks. You should send a tell in-game to one of:

Maple Cookie
Strawberry Shortcake
Safflower Amariyo
Tiv Einsfell (me)
Elliott Kirkland
Guy Incognito
Remiel Cathetel
Renault Cathetel
Mira Mora

Cheers, I'll get it sorted next time I log on. Thanks for the help!

Stuart444

So in other news, I've tried CT 3 times now, once two days ago and 2 times today.

All 3 times, BRD stuff has dropped in abundance. One DRG thing dropped though it wasn't what I was going for :(.

Too bad I don't have a BRD leveled lol.

Got my Before Meteor soundtrack today after ordering it on Saturday; did it through Square Enix's online store (Digital River). I'm surprised it arrived in perfect condition because they used an oversized box with little padding:
LLyy6mV.png
Honestly, it would've been more efficient and better protected in a bubble mailer, but all's good in the end. I have a little more faith that my Drakengard 3 pre-order will go smoothly (whenever the heck that's supposed to come out).

As for the music itself, hearing it at higher quality through my PS3 is absolutely wonderful. I'll definitely pick up the proper ARR soundtrack when that drops.

Ken

Got my Before Meteor soundtrack today after ordering it on Saturday; did it through Square Enix's online store (Digital River). I'm surprised it arrived in perfect condition because they used an oversized box with little padding:

Honestly, it would've been more efficient and better protected in a bubble mailer, but all's good in the end. I have a little more faith that my Drakengard 3 pre-order will go smoothly (whenever the heck that's supposed to come out).

As for the music itself, hearing it at higher quality through my PS3 is absolutely wonderful. I'll definitely pick up the proper ARR soundtrack when that drops.

You mean like now?

http://sqex.to/ffxiv_soundtrack

scosher

please make it stop

So envious. We've been clearing turn 4 since early November and we haven't seen any of the caster drops from there. Not the legs, earrings or belt. Our group all have matching Monk visors though.

Also, lot of new information is surfacing that determination is point for point better than crit for SMN, and the myth skirt can be just as good in the right gearset that accounts for the higher accuracy on it.

Ken

So envious. We've been clearing turn 4 since early November and we haven't seen any of the caster drops from there. Not the legs, earrings or belt. Our group all have matching Monk visors though.

Also, lot of new information is surfacing that determination is point for point better than crit for SMN, and the myth skirt can be just as good in the right gearset that accounts for the higher accuracy on it.

Eh, the difference in damage ended up being so minimal the old CRIT-focused BIS works just as well as the "new DET BIS."

scosher

Eh, the difference in damage ended up being so minimal the old CRIT-focused BIS works just as well as the "new DET BIS."

That's mainly because Square already itemized gear to have a lot more crit than det, almost at a 2:1 ratio. I was just commenting how there are more gearset options than Summoners originally thought. Before those Allagan pants were the clear BiS frontrunner, but it's now considered pretty equal to the myth pants, assuming you are not wasting the extra 10 accuracy on AF2 gear.

My gear tends to favor DET. I don't mind having a higher crit rate but I don't mind greater damage. As long as my accuracy is good, I'm most happy.

Teknoman

Whats with the blu-ray music discs anyway? I'm pretty sure everyone interested has some way to play it in their home...but I dont think Blu-ray drives on PCs are that common yet, or anything in a car for that matter. Even with Aux, you'd have to rip the music from the disc for a media player.

Ken

Whats with the blu-ray music discs anyway? I'm pretty sure everyone interested has some way to play it in their home...but I dont think Blu-ray drives on PCs are that common yet, or anything in a car for that matter. Even with Aux, you'd have to rip the music from the disc for a media player.

Says there's MP3 files on the bluray disc you can export with a PS3 maybe?

I think their choice to put it on a Blu-ray comes down to manufacturing. The soundtrack is over six hours of music, meaning the manufacturing costs of CDs and the packaging would be more than a single Blu-ray. The tracks are also in 24-bit depth, which increases the file sizes a lot--on that end, the quality is imperceptible to me; but if Square Enix fully utilized the extra audio depth, then it's nice that they didn't compromise the quality of their studio recordings by using a smaller storage media. If SE wanted to put the same quality and quantity of audio on CDs, it would take over 15 discs. Personally, if they offered a more expensive CD version along with a cheaper Blu-ray version, I'd still opt for the latter.

Says there's MP3 files on the bluray disc you can export with a PS3 maybe?

Yup, there is a directory on the disc with MP3s at 320 kbps. It's inaccessible on the PS3 though, which is unfortunate; all you get is a selectable XMB icon and a slideshow of game art while the music plays. I could probably just run my PS3 through a capture device and rip the audio that way, but cropping and tagging 100+ songs isn't my idea of time well spent. XD

Teknoman

Yup, there is a directory on the disc with MP3s at 320 kbps. It's inaccessible on the PS3 though, which is unfortunate; all you get is a selectable XMB icon and a slideshow of game art while the music plays. I could probably just run my PS3 through a capture device and rip the audio that way, but cropping and tagging 100+ songs isn't my idea of time well spent. XD

Yep. Also they are saving discs and packaging by putting it on one.

Wait so you can export the music then?

Wait so you can export the music then?

Not from the PS3. The MP3 directory is only available on a PC with a BD drive; so if you have that available to you, then yes, you can export it. Inserting it in a PS3 puts an XMB icon under the [VIDEO] section, which plays all the tracks and the aforementioned slideshow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom