• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

I always had fun during raids just by socializing. Talking to each other about random things. Once you have stuff on farm, you don`t really need to devote all communication to the fight.

There is some truth to this. So much of my enjoyment of the game now-a-days comes from socializing, rather then content.

I'm talking about when people wipe the raid because they think it's hilarious.

The only thing which aggravates me more than people who waste my time in CT is the people in my group who refuse to vote abandon when the other group is obviously trolling or just blatantly stupid. I'm at the point where I don't even care anymore if it's a GAF group or not. Vote abandon when I ask you to or I'll just quit on my own and eat the 30 minute penalty. I can be more productive mining for 30 minutes than carrying trolls or mentality challenged players through CT.

Aeana

That's fair enough I guess, but I don't think I've ever seen much of that (Ari's too bad to wipe the raid, the poor dear rip in pieces).
People who grab the Valefors in the first encounter and tail swipe the raid are an example of what I'm talking about. They didn't actually wipe but it still sucks. Also people who grab the skeletons on bone Dragon and try to get them to die next to each other. Or when someone main tanks in a reindeer outfit and then complains about lack of heals when he dies immediately and people scramble to clean up his mess, sometimes unsuccessfully.

WolvenOne

People who grab the Valefors in the first encounter and tail swipe the raid are an example of what I'm talking about. They didn't actually wipe but it still sucks. Also people who grab the skeletons on bone Dragon and try to get them to die next to each other. Or when someone main tanks in a reindeer outfit and then complains about lack of heals when he dies immediately and people scramble to clean up his mess, sometimes unsuccessfully.

Funny story actually. Once while in CT, I grabbed one of those Valafores, only for somebody on the next block over to Voke it away from me. (Well, they either voked it or did something else to generate enmity crazy fast.)

Well, the position they were pulling it into would've put our part of the Alliance directly into Tailswipe range, so I pretty much had no choice but to do an enmity burn and get aggro back, which, put the tail swipe directly onto the party that pulled it away in the first place.

I, was pretty darn angry about that at the time. I WANT the runs that I'm apart of to go smoothly. In retrospect though, I guess it is kinda funny. XD

WolvenOne

Oh geeze, I should've waited till you wrote this before responding. XD

Well, once went through the King Behemoth fight, while wearing the Snowman head. I had to make tower duty amusing somehow!

I honestly don't know why people ever decided not to tank the boss in the center. It is so obviously designed for that.

I don't get it either, it's shaped like a sun for cryin' out loud.

In other news, killed Titan EX as my tank last night. Now just to learn Ifrit's swaps and I'll be good.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Or when someone main tanks in a reindeer outfit and then complains about lack of heals when he dies immediately and people scramble to clean up his mess, sometimes unsuccessfully.

That's absolutely terrible. It's the OTs who are supposed to be wearing Reindeer costumes.

WolvenOne

PS: Please tell me it'll be awhile before they introduce Titan Nightmare Mode. I will have had quite enough of that jerk after all this is said and done. XD

While I agree middle certainly has it's merits, at this point when you know your task with grouping with as many as 23 potential pugs, might as well avoid going against the grain and tank it where you know the standard pugs tank it these days.

Is really the standard way?

Of all my dozen of CT runs only one or two the MT tanked dragon in the north. If some ppl really wanna tank it north they should just claim MT before I or other tank does. Either way I shouldn't force myself to tank it in a way I don't like it when there's no reason to do so. Tanking it in the middle is 100% viable and mechanic wise is 100% the same.

WolvenOne

Is really the standard way?

Of all my dozen of CT runs only one or two the MT tanked dragon in the north. If some ppl really wanna tank it north they should just claim MT before I or other tank does. Either way I shouldn't force myself to tank it in a way I don't like it when there's no reason to do so. Tanking it in the middle is 100% viable and mechanic wise is 100% the same.

I've seen two problems with Tanking it in the middle.

First, is that most groups don't expect it, so it throws a lot of players off.

The second, is that the Skele's seem to have a tendency to rush toward the dragon once they've gotten within a certain distance, and Tanking within the middle puts most the Skele's right within that distance when they spawn. There does seem to be a window in which you can grab and kite them before they'll rush the dragon, but I would just assume give the other players a larger window to work with, should hijinks ensue.

Oh and I'll mention another thing. The best way to get on my bad side in CT is to ask me to tank for your party and then when I say I need such and such DPS item such as the caster gloves, then you go and Need on it anyways and don't even give me a chance to Greed on it with you. That's fine, it just means I'll never tank CT for you ever again. Enjoy your gloves.

Aeana

Oh and I'll mention another thing. The best way to get on my bad side in CT is to ask me to tank for your party and then when I say I need such and such DPS item such as the caster gloves, then you go and Need on it anyways and don't even give me a chance to Greed on it with you. That's fine, it just means I'll never tank CT for you ever again. Enjoy your gloves.
Oh Illya. I know that sucked but you'll be happier if you let it go. :/

I've seen two problems with Tanking it in the middle.

First, is that most groups don't expect it, so it throws a lot of players off.

The second, is that the Skele's seem to have a tendency to rush toward the dragon once they've gotten within a certain distance, and Tanking within the middle puts most the Skele's right within that distance when they spawn. There does seem to be a window in which you can grab and kite them before they'll rush the dragon, but I would just assume give the other players a larger window to work with, should hijinks ensue.

Really most groups don't expect it?

I never had any problem, seriously, maybe I'm lucky but I never see (well only once of that I can remember) ppl going awry over it.

And NEVER, and I said NEVER, a skele that spawned actually went to the boss in my runs. There's always a healer that is gonna get hate. And seriously 2 or 3 skeles spawn each time and there's 5 OT, it shouldn't even happen in the very rare instance a healer dosn't get the hate.

suzu

Sorry about your loot, if I knew that was going to happen I wouldn't have asked you to tank. I thought everyone knew to pass those to you. :(

WolvenOne

CT's that become cock measuring contests among the tanks are the best.

Ah, uh, well.

Honestly I try not to compete too heavily with the other Tanks, but some of those fights do a fairly poor job at giving the Tanks clearly defined roles.

The King Behe fight isn't too bad, sure Tower Duty is boring but at least it's a clearly defined role.

The Pothead fight (can't remember that bosses name,) is a bit of a problem fight. It basically calls for one Tank, and a whole lot of Off Tanks, with occasional role switching. The problem is that a lot of times you get Tanks that either want to Main, or seem to have no notion of properly off Tanking the more dangerous Adds. So on a lot of fights you have Succu flying around everywhere.

Then you have the early trash mob fights, where you only really need two Tanks, and the rest are superfluous. This is my experience tends to be where most of the Hijinks occur. There always seems to be Tanks fighting over enmity here.

I often suspect that CT would work better as a 16 Man dungeon, with a few adjustments to mob sizes, HP, and boss mechanics. That said, I can see why they didn't do that, and hopefully future CT floors will be a little better designed. XD

WolvenOne

Really most groups don't expect it?

I never had any problem, seriously, maybe I'm lucky but I never see (well only once of that I can remember) ppl going awry over it.

And NEVER, and I said NEVER, a skele that spawned actually went to the boss in my runs. There's always a healer that is gonna get hate. And seriously 2 or 3 skeles spawn each time and there's 5 OT, it shouldn't even happen in the very rare instance a healer dosn't get the hate.

Well, like I said, there's a window. where Skele's won't rush the Dragon. It's not a problem if everyone is on the ball, but if somebody has never seen the Bone Dragon tanked in the center they very well could be confused by it.

And yeah, taking the Bone Dragon to the north is the standard now. No surprise really, most the fights in this game rewards Tanking bosses on the edge, and it's no wonder Tanks would bring their most common habits into this fight with them.

Zomba13

No. fun. allowed.

Trolling 23 other people (or however many aren't in on your stupidity) isn't 'fun'. Ignoring the advice/requests of the majority of other players isn't 'fun'. It just ends up making an easy instance take even longer than it needs to. Some guy is a dick/troll so you troll back (either pulling early, triggering atomos then running out, kicking other players because they are spiritbonding, whatever) just makes things take longer and makes things less fun.

If you want trouble or trolling then grow up or run with your own full pt. That way you'll be the shitty party that people complain about ruining CT but you'll all be yucking it up together for teh lulz.

Ah, uh, well.

Honestly I try not to compete too heavily with the other Tanks, but some of those fights do a fairly poor job at giving the Tanks clearly defined roles.

The King Behe fight isn't too bad, sure Tower Duty is boring but at least it's a clearly defined role.

The Pothead fight (can't remember that bosses name,) is a bit of a problem fight. It basically calls for one Tank, and a whole lot of Off Tanks, with occasional role switching. The problem is that a lot of times you get Tanks that either want to Main, or seem to have no notion of properly off Tanking the more dangerous Adds. So on a lot of fights you have Succu flying around everywhere.

Then you have the early trash mob fights, where you only really need two Tanks, and the rest are superfluous. This is my experience tends to be where most of the Hijinks occur. There always seems to be Tanks fighting over enmity here.

I often suspect that CT would work better as a 16 Man dungeon, with a few adjustments to mob sizes, HP, and boss mechanics. That said, I can see why they didn't do that, and hopefully future CT floors will be a little better designed. XD

Behe fight is easy so long as you have a tank that knows where to pull the giants and is quick about it. I often volunteer to do so as my past experiences with other pug tanks have been well.... unfortunate. Even after proper explanation, the people I've encountered don't seem to know how wide an aoe the giants' swings are.

CT's that become cock measuring contests among the tanks are the best.

I mostly see Team measuring cock contests. "A won Atomos race!", "B carried C on Dragon boss!" etc...

I participate too, but just to joke about it, is surprising when ppl takes it too seriously.

Well, like I said, there's a window. where Skele's won't rush the Dragon. It's not a problem if everyone is on the ball, but if somebody has never seen the Bone Dragon tanked in the center they very well could be confused by it.

And yeah, taking the Bone Dragon to the north is the standard now. No surprise really, most the fights in this game rewards Tanking bosses on the edge, and it's no wonder Tanks would bring their most common habits into this fight with them.

From now on I'm gonna MT Dragon on the center to spread the best way.

YOLO

WolvenOne

Behe fight is easy so long as you have a tank that knows where to pull the giants and is quick about it. I often volunteer to do so as my past experiences with other pug tanks have been well.... unfortunate. Even after proper explanation, the people I've encountered don't seem to know how wide an aoe the giants' swings are.

You just pull them to the East or Southern edges right? I myself have always taken them East, but I've only done the giants once. (I'm not a very assertive tank.)

I don't really recall the swing sadly. I probably need to run CT more. XD

Zomba13

I mostly see Team measuring cock contests. "A won Atomos race!", "B carried C on Dragon boss!" etc...

I participate too, but just to joke about it, is surprising when ppl takes it too seriously.

Atomos racing etc is fun, good hearted competition and it's always fun to try and win/do the most damage. One of the best CT runs I had was when our PT were DPS masters. Beat Atomos by miles, got Thanatos down to around 56%ish during first invis (We were Team A).

Also, when did edge tanking BD become the norm? Did it happen this week or something? Because I did an ungodly amount of CT the last two weeks (solo queuing) and not once did we edge tank. Always in the middle, Skeles to the lower edges, BD facing north edge. Plenty of time to kill skeles before reaching BD (you know, unless you suck badly). Only things that mess up are double stacking skelies or over DPSing dragon, things that can happen no matter where he is and really shouldn't happen if the team is halfway competent (though you always get a healer or two that gets massive agro on the skeles and just sits there with them).

Tanking KB giants though, there is some debate there. Usually tank east side but arguments can be made for tanking where they spawn if you know the order.

You just pull them to the East or Southern edges right? I myself have always taken them East, but I've only done the giants once. (I'm not a very assertive tank.)

I don't really recall the swing sadly. I probably need to run CT more. XD

You want to position them such that they aren't hitting the towers or the rest of you're alliance, I usually take to East. You also have to be aware of the tornados that spawn near or on top of you.

Ken

Sorry about your loot, if I knew that was going to happen I wouldn't have asked you to tank. I thought everyone knew to pass those to you. :(

If it was an accident or miscommunication, I'd just let it go, Illy. If it was done on purpose then sure. Although, if it was the latter I'm sure they already planned to never party with you again so I guess it's a win-win for them.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

That's a terrible thing to do. I don't blame you for being pissed. I would avoid running with people like that.

WolvenOne

You want to position them such that they aren't hitting the towers or the rest of you're alliance, I usually take to East. You also have to be aware of the tornados that spawn near or on top of you.

Mmm, I definitely need to run CT more often then, if only to add that to the list of roles I'm comfortable with.

That list is now upto.

Maining Garuda HM. (Post Vortex positioning.)

Maining Garuda EX (I wonder if Off Tanking has become a bit of a crutch?)

Pharos Sirious in general. (Bah!)

and now, Off Tanking Giants during KB.

WolvenOne

Luckily for you I'm pretty sure they said Extreme is the final difficulty level for the Primals, at least for a bit.

Thank, god!

I realize there will be more difficult fights in the future, but I'm hopeful that the learning curve will be, eh, a leeeeeetle bit more gradual then that. Going from HM to Ex difficulty is, quite a leap in terms of complexity.

WolvenOne

Next primal we deserve is Cactuar King

Nah, clearly FFXIV players deserve a Hell House Primal!

Hell_House_FF7.png

Instead of dropping weapons or jewelry, it drops furniture, and appliances. XD

I've really enjoyed running CT for the past few days. Maybe it's because it's still newish to me, but yeah :D It's been good times.

Not because it's always went great on the fights themselves, but just going through it in general. I look forward to being coil ready and going through that too.. I guess I just like learning the fights and getting more and more confident in the mechanics.

Stuart444

I've really enjoyed running CT for the past few days. Maybe it's because it's still newish to me, but yeah :D It's been good times.

Not because it's always went great on the fights themselves, but just going through it in general. I look forward to being coil ready and going through that too.. I guess I just like learning the fights and getting more and more confident in the mechanics.

It's been good fun apart from having to tell in /a to kill the adds, particularly in the Allegan Bomb phase.

So many people seem to ignore the bombs unless reminded to kill them and the napalms first.

Alex

Crystal Tower is a lot of fun, IMO, but if I ran it non-stop I'd abhor it, but that goes for anything. It's pretty simple and easy but the mechanics are fun and it's paced SUPER well, it really surprised me because it felt very well tuned to what it is whereas when raid finder came out in WoW it was just pure pain and felt incredibly forced.

I've not had any particularly bad groups. Had an AFK guy once, they got kicked, had a little drama once, they got kicked. It's been mostly pleasant for me, surprisingly.

WolvenOne

Crystal Tower is a lot of fun, IMO, but if I ran it non-stop I'd abhor it, but that goes for anything. It's pretty simple and easy but the mechanics are fun and it's paced SUPER well, it really surprised me because it felt very well tuned to what it is whereas when raid finder came out in WoW it was just pure pain and felt incredibly forced.

I've not had any particularly bad groups. Had an AFK guy once, they got kicked, had a little drama once, they got kicked. It's been mostly pleasant for me, surprisingly.

Most CT runs I've been in haven't been bad, and the dungeon does have a lot of merits.

Most of its problems stem from being unable to go in with a 24 man group. Even that wouldn't completely eliminate all issues, but it'd heavily mitigate most of them.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Certain amount of luck involved in getting paired though, right? I mean, maybe not a ton of luck, but still. XD

Pretty sure his comment was 100% sarcastic. Most things in full GAF groups don't go well. Put 3 full GAF groups into the same dungeon and things get really crazy.

Alucrid

Banned

sounds familiar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom