• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiien

Did my first CT tonight with a GAF party. No horrible things happened, it was fun! I dunno if this is the norm but no one wanted to tank, one of our tanks took main every time just cause no one else spoke up to claim it.

Three of the fights in CT require three tanks, and the rest require one or two. None of them require the extra tanks to do anything other than to put out terrible DPS (and at worst, some tanks can literally sit there and activate a button). So many tanks try to be the guy that gets to stand around and do nothing, which leads to a lot of "not it" calls. Better than tanks fighting over who gets to do what, though.

MogCakes

Expect failure.
Yep, wiped multiple times LOL

Skeletons must die first in the Bone Dragon fight. Let the tanks pull first.
Learned the hard way after one of the other teams let two skeletons link. All of us casters died on the square in front of the dragon

The tanks will let you die to Nemesis adds in the Thanatos fight.
Thanatos ended up being the most coordinated our raid was during CT, no one died during the fight and the Nemesis adds died swiftly

Attack the bomb adds first.
Did so when they appeared. I managed to dodge the AoE swings a lot and for a while was pinned between the edge of the magma and one of the linked adds

All adds must die before you focus on King Behemoth.
One of the tanks died to an Iron Giant the first time and it proceeded to wipe the party

Don't stand in the pretty colors against Acheron.
I started lagging and by the time I saw the colors flash it was too late. Died a good 4-5 times near the end, for some reason the healers kept ressing me despite me clearly not being able to keep myself alive at that point

And be prepared to laugh at CT hijinks.
The first room of the dungeon I ran in and swiftly died to poison without realizing what happened. Team A were the most obnoxious of the raid and a couple of their initial members left. Team B was mostly new to the dungeon and got harassed for it unfortunately. My party was patient bar one tank who left after the third bone dragon wipe

Also....THATs CT? THAT ISN'T EVEN THE TOWER. IT'S JUST THE LEAD-UP TO IT. I went through it all thinking 'this is awesome, I can't wait to get into the tower proper and see what's waiting!' and then it ends, I finish the quest and...that's it. No additional quest icons. I'm so disappointed :(

(I got a belt for MNK stupidly not realizing I could only get one item from CT. Almost all drops from CT were MNK items)

EDIT: During the quests leading up to CT I partied with someone doing the FATE portions and we ended up just doing CT together once we finished the quests. Dude was pretty cool and I'd happily party with him again in the future.

Did my first CT tonight with a GAF party. No horrible things happened, it was fun! I dunno if this is the norm but no one wanted to tank, one of our tanks took main every time just cause no one else spoke up to claim it.

Since I've unwittingly done CT now I have to say it wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be, hijinks and random wipes aside. I should party up with GAF for a CT run and see how differently it goes :p

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Pharos finally down. I need to work on my stun timing for Lunatic Voice (when im not being held down) but we did it!

Congrats!

You join the rare club who have defeated PS, ONCE!, now try for the Ultimate, Double Victory
Triple is the holy Grail!

kierwynn

I've noticed this with a lot of the tanks in CT this week. Usually, the tanks are all gung ho about tanking things, but there's been a lot of instances this week where Mira has had to main tank because no one else would. (Except that one super thirsty, undergeared tank last night who wasn't very good. lol) Maybe all the people who actually want to be tanks already got their gear and are going on alts. /shrug

scosher

After wiping to Twintania for nearly 4 hours today, I wonder what I am doing wrong as SMN. For Phase 2, I keep my dots up so I can spread them to conflags but it seems like that isn't enough. I pop Fester on fast conflags and sometimes even Energy Drain too if need be but then I am short on aetherflow stacks, which leads to conflag blowing up, taking whoever is inside.

It often seems my party does the best when I'm in a conflag instead of dishing out damage. Tempted to reroll as another dps.

Illya pointed me to your post. SMN's should have no issue bursting conflag so long as you conserve your Aetherflow for that phase. Baning dots and then a fester on Conflag is considerable burst.

Things that may help if you haven't been doing it already:

- Go into the conflag phase with 3 Aetherflow stacks and with Aetherflow coming off of cooldown soon. For odd-numbered conflags that last significantly longer, you can usually just Bane your DoT's and not have to Fester (unless 2 DPS have to run into conflag)
- Switch Garuda to attack the conflag as well. A lot of SMN's don't micro-manage the pets' target which is a good loss of damage on your focus target, especially for things like Titan gaols, Ifrit nails, conflag, etc.
- SMN's can actually auto-attack and smack enemies with their book in between their instant casts, increasing the potency of Ruin 2 by a small bit. It's not a lot, but when Ruin does ~210 damage and your auto attack hits for 60, it can add up. You have to turn on auto attack manually though (I bound a hotkey to "Confirm")

Otherwise, assuming all your other DPS are playing their class well, see if your healer is contributing, especially your WHM. If the MT runs in the conflag, no healing is required during Conflag, and they can swap to Cleric's Stance and help out. Even just one Stone II and a Fluid Aura did over 900 damage for me. Conflags also have no evasion so they should not have accuracy issues.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I've noticed this with a lot of the tanks in CT this week. Usually, the tanks are all gung ho about tanking things, but there's been a lot of instances this week where Mira has had to main tank because no one else would. (Except that one super thirsty, undergeared tank last night who wasn't very good. lol) Maybe all the people who actually want to be tanks already got their gear and are going on alts. /shrug

If I gonna Main Tank, I want to have a healer I can trust to keep my ass alive (friend or fc guild mate)
Some of the random healers that join think it's a hour break to earn 200 Phil + 50 Myth and a Gear Piece, cast Regen, see you at the next boss...

MT and OT (giant Tank) @ KB is fucking crucial, I mean OT fucking up and dieing is almost wiping the raid territory
I have seen 2 tanks just casually watch, while 4 did towers, 1 on KB, 1 on Giant, they never pulled their sword, it was like, what do you need us for?
Umm... help out in anyway possible, go DPS the Giant, it maybe not much in the gist of it all, but every chipping down it's health helps
Hell be the back-up for the Giant just in case something goes wrong so you can take over, rather than watch the Giant run across the middle cleaving everyone + the comets

CT has reached what AK was of "same ol' shit!" mantra
I mean in 2 weeks we will have reached 2 months since 2.1 dropped and 1 week before 2.15 drops
Most players that really needed gear from CT, have done so, I mean there are only roughly 6 pieces you can get for your class, by now most have at least 1 class full ilvl80 on the left side and few for their alts if you did it weekly and got the drop

Also the live letter really made people go into wait mode now from them announcing Coil Turn 1-5 losing it's weekly lockout + buff to overcome the odds scenario (echo)

I mean I still do CT + Duty Roulette (Story) to give me roughly 500 Phil everyday
I'm just using it to buy DL gear for all my classes, so whenever they get to 50, they'll have ilvl70 from the get go
Then extra items from Coil + CT to push up their ilvl

/pout

For the Nvidia owners out there, the new beta driver 334.67 has FFXIV branding and is the reportedly the first driver to have specific optimizations for this game. It can be downloaded by checking the Beta Drivers box in GeForce Experience and checking for updates. I'm installing it now, hopefully it will finally resolve the random black screen and driver resets I've been getting since launch.

I also assume this means the AMD Gaming Evolved thing with FFXIV has ended, so maybe it will perform better on Nvidia cards now too.

How do I install the previous driver cause ever since I installed this drive I get no sound from the TV when I hook up the laptop to it. It's all on the laptop

MogCakes

Illya pointed me to your post. SMN's should have no issue bursting conflag so long as you conserve your Aetherflow for that phase. Baning dots and then a fester on Conflag is considerable burst.

(...)

- SMN's can actually auto-attack and smack enemies with their book in between their instant casts, increasing the potency of Ruin 2 by a small bit. It's not a lot, but when Ruin does ~210 damage and your auto attack hits for 60, it can add up. You have to turn on auto attack manually though (I bound a hotkey to "Confirm")

Bane is awesome and Fester is the most powerful SMN skill, but setting up the DoTs to use it takes time and overall the immediate DPS of that combo is less than other DPS classes by a considerable margin.

jiien

Bane is awesome and Fester is the most powerful SMN skill, but setting up the DoTs to use it takes time and overall the immediate DPS of that combo is less than other DPS classes by a considerable margin.

The DoTs should already be up on Twintania.

Isaccard

I go into CT as a Tank for antics spirit bonding and the faster queuing. I don't mind main tanking in there except King Behemoth; I'll quickly run to a tower or OT iron giants.

MogCakes

The DoTs should already be up on Twintania.

Haven't reached Twin so I don't know what the situation would be. I just know that SMN's burst DPS is lower than just about every other DPS class bar none even if DoTs are already up. Fester and Ruin/Ruin II are the only immediate DPS skills we've got, pet aside.

Zomba13

Haven't reached Twin so I don't know what the situation would be. I just know that SMN's burst DPS is lower than just about every other DPS class bar none even if DoTs are already up. Fester and Ruin/Ruin II are the only immediate DPS skills we've got, pet aside.

Also got Energy Drain. Though you should really use Fester if DoTs are up rather than use a charge of Aetherflow on Energy Drain.

Also got Energy Drain. Though you should really use Fester if DoTs are up rather than use a charge of Aetherflow on Energy Drain.

You'll be putting Energy Drain to use in Turn 5, at least with my experience. Between conserving Aetherflow stacks or having to revive dead party members (perhaps the one thing I'm very on the ball at), your mp will be sinking pretty low.

And thanks Sumie for the advice!

Erekiddo

I've hit 50WHM, and I still don't understand most of the lingo going on in this thread.

Off to finish this ridiculous relic quest..

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I actually find myself liking the crafting in this game. It's nice having to put some thought into making something, especially if you're looking to get a high quality proc, as opposed to setting everything to autopilot, tabbing out, and reading a book. =)

I need some advice.
I'm a pugilist, but I want to join the archanist guild.

I'm in Uldah now and I can't seem to make my way to Limsa, where the guild is located.

How would one gain access to the place??? Or I'm I stuck in Uldah for this character???

dramatis

I need some advice.
I'm a pugilist, but I want to join the archanist guild.

I'm in Uldah now and I can't seem to make my way to Limsa, where the guild is located.

How would one gain access to the place??? Or I'm I stuck in Uldah for this character???
Follow story until quest where you are told to travel to different cities, after that airship access is unlocked.

You can actually become an arcanist during that story quest just by visiting the guild in Limsa.

Teknoman

Congrats!

You join the rare club who have defeated PS, ONCE!, now try for the Ultimate, Double Victory
Triple is the holy Grail!

Challenge accepted.

Seriously though, the first boss battle seems like a dps check with a few stun attacks, the second boss is standard fare, the third boss...shouldnt even be a boss, and Siren is the only test. Its not as cool looking as I thought it would be though (except the first flooded floor). I like the new reptilian enemy there though. I think the holy elementals are new too.

chrono01

For those that want the Realm Reborn OST, but do not want to deal with Digital River [I understand completely], HMV Japan has the soundtrack up for pre-order and they ship Internationally.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Game...izou-Tsuki-Santora-Blu-Ray-Disc-Music_5670526

I'm not sure what the cost will be to ship to the US, but it was only around an extra $5 or so for shipping to Canada [factoring in EMS shipping] when compared to the Standard Shipping from the Square Enix site. I will receive the soundtrack a lot faster this way, and I'd honestly rather spend the additional $5 simply to not deal with Digital River. :/

MogCakes

For those that want the Realm Reborn OST, but do not want to deal with Digital River [I understand completely], HMV Japan has the soundtrack up for pre-order and they ship Internationally.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Game...izou-Tsuki-Santora-Blu-Ray-Disc-Music_5670526

I'm not sure what the cost will be to ship to the US, but it was only around an extra $5 or so for shipping to Canada [factoring in EMS shipping] when compared to the Standard Shipping from the Square Enix site. I will receive the soundtrack a lot faster this way, and I'd honestly rather spend the additional $5 simply to not deal with Digital River. :/

I've already preordered from SE's website. What do I have to fear about Digital River?

chrono01

I've already preordered from SE's website. What do I have to fear about Digital River?

What's so bad about Digital River?
I've ordered a few things from them, namely the Ni no Kuni: Wizard's Edition and the Collector's Edition of FFXIV [PC], and while I never had problems with them personally, I've heard/read a lot of negative things about them, especially in the case of Ni no Kuni. Mishandling of orders, lack of communication, not being able to change orders specifics without canceling the entire order, etc.

I might have gotten lucky, but when it's possible I like to avoid anything in relation to Digital River than I can. They're not a good business, just Google search reviews for them and you'll see why. :(

chrono01

Welp if I have a bad experience I'll stop doing business with them but we'll see.
You might be lucky as I was. I definitely don't feel like taking the chance, though, with other options out there.

For instance, I have the CE of Lightning Returns pre-ordered from SE since I have no other choice. The same goes for Drakengard 3. :/

I wish us both the best of luck!

WolvenOne

Just a quick FYI, I'm probably not going to be in the game as often in the next week, but I'll still do my best to fulfill all the obligations I've made. I'm still going to try getting Titan EX down this week too, if my head cooperates. After watching those videos a few times, I think I'm starting to get an idea what to do.

"Drag Adds to the East if you're off Tanking."

"Hold on tight if you're main, try to save CD's till you're reasonably certain you're about to be hit by a third Mountain buster."

Stack on or near somebody that knows the positioning for the rest of the Trial, unless the other Tank's hit two Stacks.

Really need to watch the videos a few more times, so I have an idea of the positioning better. Without the stack thing.

Teknoman

"Drag Adds to the East if you're off Tanking."

"Hold on tight if you're main, try to save CD's till you're reasonably certain you're about to be hit by a third Mountain buster."

Stack on or near somebody that knows the positioning for the rest of the Trial, unless the other Tank's hit two Stacks.

Really need to watch the videos a few more times, so I have an idea of the positioning better. Without the stack thing.

Trying to get familiar with more high level tanking terms, whats this about? Also what stacks in Titan? Some sort of debuff, or a bomb type attack (ala pharos first boss)?

WolvenOne

Trying to get familiar with more high level tanking terms, whats this about? Also what stacks in Titan? Some sort of debuff, or a bomb type attack (ala pharos first boss)?

Well, Mountain Busters on Titan EX puts a debuff on whomever it hits, that stacks. It's rather difficult to survive to three stacks and beyond, especially if Adds are up, as they give Titan a Determination Boost. It's doable, I'm told that Tanks can survive with upto 8 stacks, but it's, "iffy."

The Adds in that need to be dragged to the East, because they leave a pool of lava when they die. East is, relatively out of the way.

Teknoman

Well, Mountain Busters on Titan EX puts a debuff on whomever it hits, that stacks. It's rather difficult to survive to three stacks and beyond, especially if Adds are up, as they give Titan a Determination Boost. It's doable, I'm told that Tanks can survive with upto 8 stacks, but it's, "iffy."

The Adds in that need to be dragged to the East, because they leave a pool of lava when they die. East is, relatively out of the way.

CD = cooldowns then? As in stuff like Rampart or Hallowed Ground?

Teknoman

Three of the fights in CT require three tanks, and the rest require one or two. None of them require the extra tanks to do anything other than to put out terrible DPS (and at worst, some tanks can literally sit there and activate a button). So many tanks try to be the guy that gets to stand around and do nothing, which leads to a lot of "not it" calls. Better than tanks fighting over who gets to do what, though.

I'd like to try to main tank Behemoth at some point...doesnt seem that complicated. Face him away, and take off running when he roars.

Yep.

Probably a bit easier to main Titan as a PLD, since they have more Cooldowns to Burn.

Gotcha.

CLBridges

Reading all these posts I feel so far behind lol. But, I just leveled my Bard up to 44 (6 more levels to go...). Unlocked Garuda trial and went through Duty Finder to complete. We wiped the first two times, but on the third one the healer finally noticed you have to stay in the middle of the area when Garuda goes to the final phase so you don't die lol. All in all, it was fun and the Tank was really awesome and patient with us since the rest of us were new. I plan to play more tonight after the Super Bowl and hopefully get to 50.

dcye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVYxu6yMYSs

Here's the video of our Dragoon MT Titan HM run from last night. I'm the other Dragoon that gets hit a lot because of my latency problems/suckiness. I'm also the Australian talking.

Deefunx forgot to record his own voice so that's why there's weird gaps and people talking to no one.

MogCakes

Got through Titan HM today. Felt useless a lot of the time because I kept dying. Did a second run later to learn the fight and still died a lot...

Nohar

Been selling ex runs all day. It feels good to finally be over 1 mill in personal funds.

On the one hand, I don't like people doing that (paying). It just feels wrong to "pay" to down content. There is no glory in that, and later you end up playing with these people, and you discover that they don't know how to play at all. It's like these level 50 tanks who never even tanked in a big fight, and who possibly leveled-up to 50 by only doing FATEs: they somehow have their relic weapon, but they play so badly that you can't help but wonder how in the sevel hells they managed to get it.

On the other hand, well, it's a market: it's a classic case of supply and demand. If there are people who have the money and who can purchase such service, well, it's their right, as it's the right of people providing such service to be payed for it. Heck, it's a easy way to make a lot of money. Honestly, I think I would do it if I found 6 other people to do it with. In the end of the day, I'll be richer, something which will come in handy for future updates, and I know for sure that I would be able to buy my house once Yoshida reveals that personal housing will be incredibly expensive (yes, I'm kinda wary now).

Finally, however, please note that I do NOT apply the same logic to real-money-trading. That thing? Despicable, on both ends.

Stuart444

Got through Titan HM today. Felt useless a lot of the time because I kept dying. Did a second run later to learn the fight and still died a lot...

It's a tough fight, I've still not done it successfully. Did try via DF last night to see how it went.

First run: Tank couldn't keep hate, I as a Dragoon was on yellow hate most of the time while the healers got quite a bit of hate as well. First time I've seen a tank not keep hate in this fight. I just pointed out in chat that the tank needs to keep hate better. His response? "haaaaa bla bla bla" *ragequits* (not paraphrased). That was after the first try

Second run: Some folks, particularly a SMN and another class that I forget couldn't be bothered to move out of ANYTHING. 2 runs before being vote abandoned

3rd run I don't even remember what happened there lol. All I remember is the run didn't last long.

Going to try again today. Probably with a PF group if I can't get an FC group together (since it's usually quiet until evening time GMT).

I'm gonna swat you if you keep saying that. You'll get better at the fight, I used to do the same thing but now I can easily make it through HM Titan without dying (sometimes without taking avoidable damage). I was the BRD in your winning group

Marceles

I have to beat Titan HM without dying too. The only thing that kills me is the bomb pattern after you kill the heart.

It does one row in the middle, west, east...I go east and wait, the middle goes off.@, the west goes off, I run to the middle and get destroyed. At least that's what happened last time. And bad luck with WotL. There were a few instances where Titan was teleporting from the lag. I'll probably just wait until April to start going all out on the primal fights. Until then I'll just work on getting full AF2 and other stuff

I have to beat Titan HM without dying too. The only thing that kills me is the bomb pattern after you kill the heart.

It does one row in the middle, west, east...I go east and wait, the middle goes off.@, the west goes off, I run to the middle and get destroyed. At least that's what happened last time. And bad luck with WotL. There were a few instances where Titan was teleporting from the lag. I'll probably just wait until April to start going all out on the primal fights. Until then I'll just work on getting full AF2 and other stuff
If you have trouble with lag, try to compensate by running to the middle a bit before the bombs explode and try doing any action to update your location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom