• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
yQlze7q.png

For Paladians

MogCakes

I didn't know end-game raids had so much drama. I enjoy my time in XIV whatever it is I'm doing, even if my party is terrible and we're wiping multiple times.

I didn't know end-game raids had so much drama. I enjoy my time in XIV whatever it is I'm doing, even if my party is terrible and we're wiping multiple times.

If RNG was kinder, there might not be so much drama. But because you have things like Coil groups drowning in certain types of drops while receiving none of another kind of drop...these things happen.

dcye

you serial?
if there is statistics, i can bet that perma removal (getting hit by LS) is not one of the highest cause of death in titan ex.
titan ex is harder because of the difficulty of recover and the fast succession of everything that's going on. garuda ex is like a chill fight. However you still can't recover if mt dies with both garuda and the add up

I was talking about HM.

Well, crap, Haukke Manor Hard Mode officially became the first duty I was unable to clear in the allotted time. The tank getting dc'd at the beginning was a sign!

At least I know the ins and outs of the boss fights there now. So, another day!

After wiping to Twintania for nearly 4 hours today, I wonder what I am doing wrong as SMN. For Phase 2, I keep my dots up so I can spread them to conflags but it seems like that isn't enough. I pop Fester on fast conflags and sometimes even Energy Drain too if need be but then I am short on aetherflow stacks, which leads to conflag blowing up, taking whoever is inside.

It often seems my party does the best when I'm in a conflag instead of dishing out damage. Tempted to reroll as another dps.

desu

After wiping to Twintania for nearly 4 hours today, I wonder what I am doing wrong as SMN. For Phase 2, I keep my dots up so I can spread them to conflags but it seems like that isn't enough. I pop Fester on fast conflags and sometimes even Energy Drain too if need be but then I am short on aetherflow stacks, which leads to conflag blowing up, taking whoever is inside.

It often seems my party does the best when I'm in a conflag instead of dishing out damage. Tempted to reroll as another dps.

Well it's known that SMN's burst damage (especially for Conflags) sucks.

Bard burst damage is really crap too so I know what you mean, but I think our trouble with DPSing the conflags is just from minor non-optimal strategies, since we're geared well enough. Summoner is perfectly capable of doing enough to get through it. If you want my honest opinion, I have messed up the conflag DPS whenever it didn't get blown up in time probably way more times than you have. Either I didn't have foe requiem in time or didn't pop my cooldowns ahead of time, or didn't have straight shot buff up... Heck, I don't think I've ever gotten blown up in a conflag when everyone else was alive. But really, we die to so many other things than just losing someone in a fast conflag. I wouldn't even worry about them, as I think we have that down at least 80% of the time now. Next time we tackle it I'll have my DPS order for that part down to a science, so that we can have it at 100%, and hopefully we can be more prepared for the divebomb phase when it comes as well~

I guess what I am saying is try not to feel down, at least not on yourself specifically. Summoner is pretty awesome and I think you should stick with it.

Ken

If you do a bane > fester > energy drain > ruin spam combo, with your pet attacking the fast conflag as well, and it's still going off it's probably not you. Rolling a different class won't change anything.

Take some pride in your abilities to play your job; if you absolutely know you're doing your best then it's okay to believe that the problem might not be you.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I honestly don't know why people ever decided not to tank the boss in the center. It is so obviously designed for that.

You know how many Bones would die right near the Dragon if it was tanked in the middle

The North just gives a space buffer, only 6 Skellys will come out through the first 2 phases

If by mistake DPS go overboard (most of the time they do), Skellys die in middle or not even reach the edge tile of the arena to be killed

It's better to have a gap in between the boss and the Skellys

It would be awesome if you could tank it in the middle and communicate with 16 other people to listen and follow orders
That shit not gonna fly with PUGs, I mean if you can get 24 man GAF CT, then show how it really needs to be done

People take the least resistance approach cause it maybe the safest method out there
People still in CT kill 2 skellys right on top of each other, CT is 1.5 month old already, yet people still haven't learned the damn mechanics

From dragon arena to the walk of lament and get trolled by a group who wipes the whole alliance cause they don't understand 4 people to a pad to thanatos and people hitting Thanatos when they are visible, bypassing all nemesis and saying Fuck You to the invis groups pot....
How about Allagan Bomb and people not helping on Napalms, cause you know, made deeps on the Vassago yo'
KB, fuck those bombs and Giant, I need to Crit on KB, *hey where did all the boulders go?*, "Hey why do I have this debuff making lose HP like no tomorrow?; What happened to the towers hurr durr?*
Then the last boss, every hero tank ripping aggro for whatever fuck sakes, oh hey our teammate/alliance memeber is aggroed by a claw, "Who Gives a Fuck!"

I rather take the least resistant method when you have 16+ other random people who can ruin your enjoyment by fucking up a mechanic from any part of CT

You know how many Bones would die right near the Dragon if it was tanked in the middle

None?

Must be different server cultures but with what kind of ppl do you play?

What you are describing is ppl not knowing the fight, DPS hold their attacks letting the tanks grab the skeles and bring them to last tiles and when there's an accident at much they die in the second/third tile which still gives enough time. You explain that or most people already knows it already. It might happened a few weeks ago when ppl didn't know the fight but event with some very particular exceptions that's never the problem (problem is linking 2 skeles most of the time).

Finished the last of the dailes in s. Thana. The ending was quite nice imo, much more than the fairy one. Now they only have to give the same story quality every 3 days, make the quests much harder and give incentives to group up. There, youve improved the game by 30%.

edgefusion

Capped dailies yesterday, Trusted with both Sylph and Amalj'aa. I don't even want the mounts, the Goobbue is way too big and the riding 'animation' for the Drake is diabolically bad. I just wanted to not do dailies anymore, and now I don't have to. Yaaaaay~

Until 2.2 :c

Alucrid

Banned

The first thing you're doing wrong is not blaming the other DPS enough

MechaX

The type of people that will literally have Ascheron walk back and forth across the map because different tanks across different alliances will get aggro due to instance-long, legit arguments as to who should MT what.

Zomba13

None?

What you are describing is ppl not knowing the fight, DPS hold their attacks letting the tanks grab the skeles and bring them to last tiles and when there's an accident at much they die in the second/third tile which still gives enough time. You explain that or most people already knows it already. It might happened a few weeks ago when ppl didn't know the fight but event with some very particular exceptions that's never the problem (problem is linking 2 skeles most of the time).
This. I thought CT was universal (well, data cluster based) but I've had none of these issues on Sargatanas and every run bar 2 or 3 have been done with BD in centre and with not much trouble. Obviously you run into a troll or two every so often or someone who argues for the sake of it because they are bored but that's just MMOs 101.
Also, in my groups we've managed to kill a skele on the first block, closest to middle before it got to the dragon. Just need to mark it and focus it down. Don't need a buffer through poison that'll most likely cause more deaths than it prevents.

Also never once seen any tank arguments. I've seen tanks not manning up to MT but never people fighting over it. Not on any of the bosses.

I just got this game during the PSN sale. This is my second MMO so I have no idea what I'm doing. So much stuff to learn. Mad confused about everything.

WolvenOne

The North just gives a space buffer, only 6 Skellys will come out through the first 2 phases

If by mistake DPS go overboard (most of the time they do), Skellys die in middle or not even reach the edge tile of the arena to be killed

It's better to have a gap in between the boss and the Skellys

It would be awesome if you could tank it in the middle and communicate with 16 other people to listen and follow orders
That shit not gonna fly with PUGs, I mean if you can get 24 man GAF CT, then show how it really needs to be done

People take the least resistance approach cause it maybe the safest method out there
People still in CT kill 2 skellys right on top of each other, CT is 1.5 month old already, yet people still haven't learned the damn mechanics

From dragon arena to the walk of lament and get trolled by a group who wipes the whole alliance cause they don't understand 4 people to a pad to thanatos and people hitting Thanatos when they are visible, bypassing all nemesis and saying Fuck You to the invis groups pot....
How about Allagan Bomb and people not helping on Napalms, cause you know, made deeps on the Vassago yo'
KB, fuck those bombs and Giant, I need to Crit on KB, *hey where did all the boulders go?*, "Hey why do I have this debuff making lose HP like no tomorrow?; What happened to the towers hurr durr?*
Then the last boss, every hero tank ripping aggro for whatever fuck sakes, oh hey our teammate/alliance memeber is aggroed by a claw, "Who Gives a Fuck!"

I rather take the least resistant method when you have 16+ other random people who can ruin your enjoyment by fucking up a mechanic from any part of CT

While all this is certainly true, sufficiently on the ball tanks can useually grab and begin kiting skeletons fast enough to prevent over-dpsing.

Thats the thing though. You'd want at least two sufficiently on the ball off Tanks, and a competent main tank, to assure a reasonable chance of center Tanking going off smoothly.

That's a bit much to expect, seeing as useually you can only hand pick two Tanks to go in with you.

Noi

Imo, the more safeguards I can do as a tank to prevent a single screwup from wiping the whole alliance the better. I know that Bone Dragon can be easily done in the middle, but having had everything from healers who literally went "No. You know the drill, you don't tell us what to do, we tell you what to do" when asked to do more than just spam Medica 2 and Regen on himself to Tanks who will listen in to all the party arrangements for a fight (MT, OT, etc) and then #yolo it and pull the boss on his own anyway, I'd rather just pull it to the north and give the remaining tanks more space to pull the platinals further back/more time to DPS them down once the dragon goes down.

This bingo chart exists for a reason.

I just unlocked Black Mage last night! I won't lie---I was hoping for a bit more fanfare in the game. It felt kinda like a pat on the back and "here, take this".

20 levels to go!

MogCakes

Concerning server cultures, it's important to note Ultros is grouped with Gilgamesh in the same data center.

I just unlocked Black Mage last night! I won't lie---I was hoping for a bit more fanfare in the game. It felt kinda like a pat on the back and "here, take this".

20 levels to go!

Your lv50 BLM quest will make up for it, don't worry.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
If you do a bane > fester > energy drain > ruin spam combo, with your pet attacking the fast conflag as well, and it's still going off it's probably not you. Rolling a different class won't change anything.

Take some pride in your abilities to play your job; if you absolutely know you're doing your best then it's okay to believe that the problem might not be you.

I can't stress this enough.

Azrael

I feel like taking a break until 2.2 . I'll sign in for seasonal events over the next month but that's about it. Just got a PS4 and Tomb Raider and I don't want all my gaming time taken up by one game. I feel like I've experienced what the game has to offer right now except for PvP, which doesn't interest me much until Frontlines is added), and Binding Coil, which I'll probably wait until 2.2 for when I can clear it without the need for a static and having to play on someone else's schedule.

MogCakes

I bought the 'wolf' HQ jewelry set (i55) for ~28k to buff my iLvl a bit since my equipment on that side was lacking and the really snazzy stuff costs minimum 44k each. Is that good enough to get me through the HM primals or will I need better jewelry?

WolvenOne

I feel like taking a break until 2.2 . I'll sign in for seasonal events over the next month but that's about it. Just got a PS4 and Tomb Raider and I don't want all my gaming time taken up by one game. I feel like I've experienced what the game has to offer right now except for PvP, which doesn't interest me much until Frontlines is added), and Binding Coil, which I'll probably wait until 2.2 for when I can clear it without the need for a static and having to play on someone else's schedule.

Well you'll only be able to clear the first half that way.Turns 6 through 9 are still going to be on weekly lockout, and presumably off Duty Finder as well.

Still, its quite understandable. If I were done with Coil and the Ex Primals I'd be doing something similar.

I guess my goals for 2.1, aside from Coil and the Ex Primals, is to work PLD and DRG up to ilvl90, and to do the dailies. In 2.2 I guess it'll be, WHM and BLM, not counting the additional fights and such of course.

Stuart444

Did most of my relic quest apart from Titan HM which we gave up on after multiple wipes since several of the group had to leave. Thanks to those who helped with Ifrit/Garuda and those who tried to help with Titan for a bit :).

Got in plenty of practice on Titan though :)

CLBridges

I've had this game since release and my Bard is only level 42 :(. I want to level up to 50 and start getting in on all the stuff I'm reading about, but each time I load the game up I just feel...overwhelmed for some reason. I think I'll just wait on the PS4 release and then get back on the grind lol.

Ken

I've had this game since release and my Bard is only level 42 :(. I want to level up to 50 and start getting in on all the stuff I'm reading about, but each time I load the game up I just feel...overwhelmed for some reason. I think I'll just wait on the PS4 release and then get back on the grind lol.

It's about an hour to an hour and a half per day for the best XP for the time spent, and you also learn how to play your role in end game.

I bought the 'wolf' HQ jewelry set (i55) for ~28k to buff my iLvl a bit since my equipment on that side was lacking and the really snazzy stuff costs minimum 44k each. Is that good enough to get me through the HM primals or will I need better jewelry?

A couple of DL pieces should give you enough to survive the HM primals, the toughest one being Titan but as long as your hp isn't too low, you'll do fine.

Noi

Man, if there's one tiring thing about playing a Tank, it's the semi-reliance on another person to do my job well. A DPS can do his role perfectly by not sitting in AoEs and avoiding needing to be healed, but a Tank can only do so much if the Healers aren't actually healing him.

(I'm only slightly salty that I've gone through three different Ultima farming parties tonight without a single win because some people make small, corrigible mistakes like having Blood for Blood on during Freefall but are enough to lead to a wipe due to not enough DPS/distracting the healers on reviving them instead of keeping me alive. Or the other tank not having Provoke/Provoking it off me when im only at one stack and they're still at 4.)

It's about an hour to an hour and a half per day for the best XP for the time spent, and you also learn how to play your role in end game.

That's just about what my current game time has become. Except for Tuesdays where I gather the finest players in town and pug my way through turns 1 to 4 of coil and do a couple Russ of crystal tower to cap myth and get a weekly item for my up and coming Dragoon.

Logging in and doing a guildhest and dungeon roulette and the class quests has had me progressing nicely towards 50, and by the time I get there I'll must likely have full i80 gear and be able to take her straight into coil or em primals. I'd definitely recommend the slow and steady path over the mindless grind that I did when I used fates to level my scholar. As an added bonus the gear I invest in along the way lasts at last a day or two so I don't feel I'm wasting gil on the hq stuff ( also crazy what I can).

MogCakes

I'm debating going for SCH or WAR after I max out SMN. Think I'll go WAR first so I don't have to deal with being a -30 MND SCH lol.

Waiting in queue for Labyrinth of the Ancients, any notable things I should watch out for?

I'm debating going for SCH or WAR after I max out SMN. Think I'll go WAR first so I don't have to deal with being a -30 MND SCH lol.

Waiting in queue for Labyrinth of the Ancients, any notable things I should watch out for?

Expect failure.

Skeletons must die first in the Bone Dragon fight. Let the tanks pull first.

The tanks will let you die to Nemesis adds in the Thanatos fight.

Attack the bomb adds first.

All adds must die before you focus on King Behemoth.

Don't stand in the pretty colors against Acheron.

And be prepared to laugh at CT hijinks.

aceface

Did my first CT tonight with a GAF party. No horrible things happened, it was fun! I dunno if this is the norm but no one wanted to tank, one of our tanks took main every time just cause no one else spoke up to claim it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom