• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to beat Titan HM without dying too. The only thing that kills me is the bomb pattern after you kill the heart.

It does one row in the middle, west, east...I go east and wait, the middle goes off.@, the west goes off, I run to the middle and get destroyed. At least that's what happened last time. And bad luck with WotL. There were a few instances where Titan was teleporting from the lag. I'll probably just wait until April to start going all out on the primal fights. Until then I'll just work on getting full AF2 and other stuff

After heart you can run to the safe place as soon Landslide goes off. Go to the middle bomb in the last line formation, move away if needed from landslide and as soon it goes off, run too middle line bombs. No need to see the middle bombs explode, even if you can't see them explode for the server they already did, you're just compensating the lag. Is the same for other situations in the game (landslide too).

I might misremembering things, too much time spent on Titan Ex.

Kweh

I've looked, but can't see any obvious way to show party members TP bar. Is it possible? Seems a bit odd giving Bard a song to manage TP without knowing when to use it.

jiien

After heart you can run to the safe place as soon Landslide goes off. Go to the middle bomb in the last line formation, move away if needed from landslide and as soon it goes off, run too middle line bombs. No need to see the middle bombs explode, even if you can't see them explode for the server they already did, you're just compensating the lag. Is the same for other situations in the game (landslide too).

I might misremembering things, too much time spent on Titan Ex.

Yeah, in Titan HM you can run as soon as Landslide goes off, and still be safe. In Titan EX, there is a slight pause and you have to wait until you see the bombs explode before moving.

I've looked, but can't see any obvious way to show party members TP bar. Is it possible? Seems a bit odd giving Bard a song to manage TP without knowing when to use it.

There isn't a way. Thankfully, Army's Paeon is rarely worth using. Better to save your MP for Mage's Ballad and Foe Requiem.

Tash

Random thing of the day:

I never noticed that you get lockouts linked to Phases in T5.

I was joining another of our statics for some T5 practice and then entered a few days later with our own. Our leader wasn't able to zone us into T5, I had to. Weird design..

Stuart444

So my 360 controller broke or more specifically, the battery I was using (3rd party - lasted 2 years though which isn't so bad) and I need to switch controllers now.

Any issues/bugs with using a PS4 controller? Or should I just use the PS3 controller for it?

Zomba13

So my 360 controller broke or more specifically, the battery I was using (3rd party - lasted 2 years though which isn't so bad) and I need to switch controllers now.

Any issues/bugs with using a PS4 controller? Or should I just use the PS3 controller for it?

If you just plug the DS4 in using USB (or wirelessly through BT) then some of the buttons are mixed up. If you use the DS4 to Xinput mapper then it'll act as a 260 pad (X = A O=B etc) and you can change the icons in game to PS icons. That's what I use and it's great. No issues at all (I go via USB).

Only problem (if you can call it that) is extensive use of the R2 button has made it a bit looser than the L2 button. Can't really tell unless looking out for it though.

Stuart444

If you just plug the DS4 in using USB (or wirelessly through BT) then some of the buttons are mixed up. If you use the DS4 to Xinput mapper then it'll act as a 260 pad (X = A O=B etc) and you can change the icons in game to PS icons. That's what I use and it's great. No issues at all (I go via USB).

Only problem (if you can call it that) is extensive use of the R2 button has made it a bit looser than the L2 button. Can't really tell unless looking out for it though.

I'll probably do that then. Better than dealing with the mixed up buttons anyway.

WolvenOne

Getting a little frustrated with Titan EX now. Just so hard to get solid shots at the guy. XD

I mean, I don't blame anyone, really. If anyone is suffering lag, it's a bust. If anybody isn't feeling 100%, it's a bust. If two people just don't work together very well and cannot sync, it's a bust.

That isn't surprising, and it doesn't really say anything bad about a player. Titan EX is, "meant," to be difficult after all. Also, for that matter, I'll make a mistake now and then during the pre-heart phases as well. Not nearly as many as I did when I first went into Titan EX fights, but the occasional derp still happens, which is normal. This is not meant to be a complaint against specific players, in or out of the FC. Frustration with the fight does not mean I am frustrated with other people. Also I am totally supportive of other players and am willing to help out in any fight any way I can.

Regardless, I am so blasted looking forward to some solid shots at that final phase!!! XD

WolvenOne

Yeah, really don't want to sound like I'm being critical of other players. Is there a formally accepted way to grumble about fight difficulties, without sounding like you're being critical of other players?

Cause, I really don't want to leave the impression that I'm upset with people, really.

Tabris

Wolven, I would think the key with resolving that, is to make a static to go through Titan EX and Ifrit EX, than be extremely patient as people learn. That way you don't have to worry always about getting someone new that's still learning. You will grow and learn as a group, so you will all be at the same level at a certain point

WolvenOne

Wolven, I would think the key with resolving that, is to make a static to go through Titan EX and Ifrit EX, than be extremely patient as people learn. That way you don't have to worry always about getting someone new that's still learning. You will grow and learn as a group, so you will all be at the same level at a certain point

Well the current static that I'm in is new and only about half formed at the moment. I plan to help them through the EM fights as soon as it's fully formed, starting with Garuda. Until then though, well, it doesn't hurt to get as far as I can on my own. Having at least one person that knows the fight is generally helpful I think.

Also, I like to think I'm plenty patient. Maybe thats a bit of self delusion on my part, but regardless, I like to think it. XD

Valus

Finally got my Titan EX clear on Saturday! Adrenaline was through the roof! I've been at it for probably 3-4 weeks. What finally pushed me through the win is that I started a LS for quality players that could be relied on to pull their weight in fights. It became very popular and once we put together a group from just them on Saturday we handled it.

We tried to get through Ifrit EX on Sunday but couldn't do it. The healers are getting the hang of their roles pretty quick though and I think we'll get it sometime early this week. We got Ifrit down to 5% on one round which sucked, but w/e.

On the final nails, do the melee LB the giant one? It seems like every time it happened everyone wasn't topped off enough and it caused a wipe. What are your strategies for it? We've been trying to LB3 it at the very end but if there are better alternatives please share!

kierwynn

On the final nails, do the melee LB the giant one? It seems like every time it happened everyone wasn't topped off enough and it caused a wipe. What are your strategies for it? We've been trying to LB3 it at the very end but if there are better alternatives please share!

That's what we do (LB3 the big nail I mean). We also kill the big one first so that we get the big damage out of the way. I've done it with other groups, though, where they killed it last, so either works really. I think it's mostly about communicating with your healers and making sure they know it's coming and doing what is most comfortable for them.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Finally got my Titan EX clear on Saturday! Adrenaline was through the roof! I've been at it for probably 3-4 weeks. What finally pushed me through the win is that I started a LS for quality players that could be relied on to pull their weight in fights. It became very popular and once we put together a group from just them on Saturday we handled it.

We tried to get through Ifrit EX on Sunday but couldn't do it. The healers are getting the hang of their roles pretty quick though and I think we'll get it sometime early this week. We got Ifrit down to 5% on one round which sucked, but w/e.

Those types of linkshells are fantastic. I am in one which has helped me a lot throughout the game. Especially when first attempting the EX primals. The linkshell would also be a great resource when pulling together a coil group.

I have done Ifrit EX two ways.
The more common way is to have 100% of the team DPS focus the big nail while LBing it, then proceed to down the rest. The second way was to down all the small nails and LB the big one at the end.

The major problem I see with a lot of the groups is the ranged DPS decide the Melee has the big nail and focus a small nail. That will wipe the party once both nails explode. The party must coordinate and attack the same target at that transition or the healers won't be able to keep up. Also ensure your tanks are using some major cooldowns during that phase to help the healers as much as possible.

WolvenOne

As long as we're on the subject, here's what I've learned about the Titan fight so far.

Tanks, focus on making good transitions with the other Tank. Ignore Rock Jails unless the other Tank is at 1 Stack or less. If you're splitting your attention between DPSing down the various jails you're a lot more likely to make mistakes. I've learned this the hard way unfortunately. -_-;;

In the first phase, use Voke during the Plumes. I think on every phase after that (with the exception of the final cycling phase,) use Voke when Titan is firing off Landslides while the current Tank is at two stacks.

If you see a three way landslide when it's time to Voke, wait until after it's shot off before running behind Titan. For some reason landslide is particularly unforgiving when it comes to getting behind it. I've also learned this the heard way. Soooo many ring outs.

Up until the Heart Phase. The top priority for DPS is always to Destroy Rock Jails. Don't leave a Jail to go back and fight Titan, the only time you ever want to, "not," DPS a Jail, is if the person inside will be caught by a landslide, or if you're in the final stretch of the Heart Phase. If you need the Off Tank to DPS jails to get them down in time, then chances are you're going to have trouble with the later DPS checks, such as the Heart or Adds. This doesn't mean that Tanks should never help out, but Jails usually hit around the same time Tanks are supposed to switch off.

For pretty much everyone, this appears to be the first fight where it really does pay off to learn Titan's full skill rotation in detail. I'm in the process of memorizing it myself. Find a written description of the attacks Titan uses in his various phases, and write them down on paper. Doing so will help you remember them a lot better.

Again I'll reiterate, this is not a response to any specific player. Most of these are responses to mistakes I myself have made. XD

Corrections and elaborations are totally welcome here.

BadRNG

Depends on our group comp, if we have all ranged then we save big nail for last. Meteor and then just burn it down. Healers have enough time to top off since it takes longer to destroy it without the melee LB.

However if we have a melee, then we LB3 and destroy the big nail at the beginning of the phase. Everyone should already be topped off at beginning of phase to begin with, and Ifrit has yet to ramp up his breaths so tanks should be relatively safe(they should still use cooldowns for when big nail booms though).

There is zero reason for the OT to be on titan when gaols are up. Any instances of switching can be done while he is charging up stomp while gaol is forming, and there are no points where he MBs during a gaol, therefore either the current OT or the newly made OT should always be on them. I've never heard of DPS focusing on heart over gaol either, this isn't HM, if you don't get the gaol down then someone is going to die. Given most gaol positioning set ups this will likely mean a healer and that's really bad.

Lucis

First time DPSing ifrit ex on my crappy bard, i noticed how low the dps requirement actually was, we had a BLM that was doing sub 120 DPS and we still downed the last nail with like 5 sec left on the clock.

The fight is not even a dps check, it's def a healer check

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
As long as we're on the subject, here's what I've learned about the Titan fight so far.

Tanks, focus on making good transitions with the other Tank. Ignore Rock Jails unless the other Tank is at 1 Stack or less. If you're splitting your attention between DPSing down the various jails you're a lot more likely to make mistakes. I've learned this the hard way unfortunately. -_-;; Just focus target the other tank and watch his stacks, no need to nerf the party's DPS by sitting there doing nothing. It isn't hard to see when the debuff has a number 2 on it.

In the first phase, use Voke during the Plumes. I think on every phase after that (with the exception of the final cycling phase,) use Voke when Titan is firing off Landslides while the current Tank is at two stacks. Again, just provoke at 2 stacks. I never noticed a specific time to do the swap since it was always seamless. The other tank can see what you are doing and move out as you come in..

If you see a three way landslide when it's time to Voke, wait until after it's shot off before running behind Titan. For some reason landslide is particularly unforgiving when it comes to getting behind it. I've also learned this the heard way. Soooo many ring outs. I think your problem here is tanking Titan too close to the edge. You should have room to not get hit by landslides pretty easily here. Just move to a non-AOE covered spot, after he is done casting just rotate him back. I think I even dodged in front with the rest of the party before and nobody got cleaved. There is plenty of time to reposition before his next attack as long as you are moving efficiently.

Up until the Heart Phase. The top priority for DPS is always to Destroy Rock Jails. Don't leave a Jail to go back and fight Titan, the only time you ever want to, "not," DPS a Jail, is if the person inside will be caught by a landslide, or if you're in the final stretch of the Heart Phase. If you need the Off Tank to DPS jails to get them down in time, then chances are you're going to have trouble with the later DPS checks, such as the Heart or Adds. This doesn't mean that Tanks should never help out, but Jails usually hit around the same time Tanks are supposed to switch off. This is bad advice. Always have the offtank helping on rock jails. Any DPS helps and you shouldn't be making the team carry the dead weight of an offtank. Be useful, pop an offensive cooldown and blow the rocks up. (but not too quick if targeted by landslide of course)

For pretty much everyone, this appears to be the first fight where it really does pay off to learn Titan's full skill rotation in detail. I'm in the process of memorizing it myself. Find a written description of the attacks Titan uses in his various phases, and write them down on paper. Doing so will help you remember them a lot better.

Again I'll reiterate, this is not a response to any specific player. Most of these are responses to mistakes I myself have made. XD

I have tanked this fight once (WAR) and one-shot it. I will share some of my experiences. I was the OT and had Ad duty if that helps.

Also on the ad phase if you are a WAR: This gets messed up all the time because the tanks don't understand the agro power of their attacks. Pop infuriate (if not at 5 stacks) and Steel cyclone the West mob while running over and using overpower on the East mob. (you should never stop moving until you are in the east position where the bombs are. Spam overpower until the things are dead. Be sure to dodge the bombs and plumes just like everybody else. Your healer shouldn't have to pick up the slack of a tank who decides he doesn't need to dodge here.

WolvenOne

There is zero reason for the OT to be on titan when gaols are up. Any instances of switching can be done while he is charging up stomp while gaol is forming, and there are no points where he MBs during a gaol, therefore either the current OT or the newly made OT should always be on them. I've never heard of DPS focusing on heart over gaol either, this isn't HM, if you don't get the gaol down then someone is going to die. Given most gaol positioning set ups this will likely mean a healer and that's really bad.

I have unfortunately seen DPS abandoning Rock Jails to go back to DPS Titan. Usually these groups won't even make it to heart. I think what happens here, is you'll get DPS less experienced in the fight, and they'll often follow the lead of the most aggressive DPS around. So if you see one DPS abandoning a Jail, usually you'll see one or two more abandoning it shortly thereafter.

I myself usually fire off Voke while Titan is charging up the landslide he's firing up immediately after the Big Stomp. You're right though, anytime while the Rock Jails are up is probably fine, and I suppose the sooner the better.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Wait, diabolos, you didn't switch?

I did the tank swaps just fine. When you see the number 2, just provoke, do another agro move, and dodge the next attack. I never had to memorize a specific time to do the switch. Just did it when I saw the number 2 on the debuff.

jiggles

Banned
So GAF, a little question. I'm completely new to the MMO genre, and the posts in this thread are... well they might as well be in a different language. I had to double check the thread title to see if I'm talking about the same game.

Anyway, I'm playing a Gladiator. Just hit level 20. I've barely interacted with anyone else so far, if I'm being honest. Never worked as a party outside of a few Guildleves. So the campaign has opened up to the point that I can visit the other two major cities and with it, a lot of low-level quests are now dotted about the new areas. Is the protocol here to:

a) join a new guild and start levelling up a new class?
b) blast through the quests as my current class to get a "tour" of the new areas?
c) just completely ignore the low-level stuff and carry on with quests around my current level?

A message in game advised mastering my current class before switching, so I don't want to split my XP across multiple classes if it's a bad idea, but I also don't want to paint myself into tanky a corner if I don't have to.

Tabris

I did the tank swaps just fine. When you see the number 2, just provoke, do another agro move, and dodge the next attack. I never had to memorize a specific time to do the switch. Just did it when I saw the number 2 on the debuff.

Ahh okay. You just mentioned you were on add duty and I assume it's whoever is OT is on add duty, so that's why I was confused.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Ahh okay. You just mentioned you were on add duty and I assume it's whoever is OT is on add duty, so that's why I was confused.

In the party I roll with, the first tank to pull doesn't get ads. Since I was WAR, I got the ads. WARs have the best agro generation and a perfect toolkit for picking up those little buggers and keeping them planted.

Valus

That's what we do (LB3 the big nail I mean). We also kill the big one first so that we get the big damage out of the way. I've done it with other groups, though, where they killed it last, so either works really. I think it's mostly about communicating with your healers and making sure they know it's coming and doing what is most comfortable for them.

Those types of linkshells are fantastic. I am in one which has helped me a lot throughout the game. Especially when first attempting the EX primals. The linkshell would also be a great resource when pulling together a coil group.

I have done Ifrit EX two ways.
The more common way is to have 100% of the team DPS focus the big nail while LBing it, then proceed to down the rest. The second way was to down all the small nails and LB the big one at the end.

The major problem I see with a lot of the groups is the ranged DPS decide the Melee has the big nail and focus a small nail. That will wipe the party once both nails explode. The party must coordinate and attack the same target at that transition or the healers won't be able to keep up. Also ensure your tanks are using some major cooldowns during that phase to help the healers as much as possible.

Depends on our group comp, if we have all ranged then we save big nail for last. Meteor and then just burn it down. Healers have enough time to top off since it takes longer to destroy it without the melee LB.

However if we have a melee, then we LB3 and destroy the big nail at the beginning of the phase. Everyone should already be topped off at beginning of phase to begin with, and Ifrit has yet to ramp up his breaths so tanks should be relatively safe(they should still use cooldowns for when big nail booms though).

Thanks guys. Blasting it at the beginning of the phase should be a bit easier to coordinate now that I think about it. If only LB2 is ready then obviously the other dps help out to make sure it goes down, but in the case that LB3 is ready and other DPS isn't needed, should the others just sit there and wait for it to go boom? I guess it can be coordinated that the others can start their DPSing but just make sure not to pop any right away? I just don't want the big one and a little one to pop at the same time as Diablos mentioned.

WolvenOne

I've gotten to this point a couple times as Main Tank, though I think I could probably handle the off position too. Unfortunately the times I've gotten this far, the rest of the party couldn't DPS down the adds before Stacks reached three. If both adds are up by that point, it's essentially a wipe. If one add is up you can survive, but it's HAAARD.

I actually think these DPS could have gotten the adds down just fine. It was just a matter of getting the timing and such down a bit better. Really, not being critical, the Titan EM fight is hard stuff!

WolvenOne

I have tanked this fight once (WAR) and one-shot it. I will share some of my experiences. I was the OT and had Ad duty if that helps.

Also on the ad phase if you are a WAR: This gets messed up all the time because the tanks don't understand the agro power of their attacks. Pop infuriate (if not at 5 stacks) and Steel cyclone the West mob while running over and using overpower on the East mob. (you should never stop moving until you are in the east position where the bombs are. Spam overpower until the things are dead. Be sure to dodge the bombs and plumes just like everybody else. Your healer shouldn't have to pick up the slack of a tank who decides he doesn't need to dodge here.

Ah, okay. So I should park myself on the west side as the Heart Phase End, grab firm aggro on the West Add, then run over and grab firm aggro on the East Add.

Spamming overpower is probably a good idea, though of course it'll leave me tapped of TP for awhile. That's probably okay since I can use Flash for awhile, until things re-generate.

Really with there were more TP restorative items. :p

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Ah, okay. So I should park myself on the west side as the Heart Phase End, grab firm aggro on the West Add, then run over and grab firm aggro on the East Add.

Spamming overpower is probably a good idea, though of course it'll leave me tapped of TP for awhile. That's probably okay since I can use Flash for awhile, until things re-generate.

Really with there were more TP restorative items. :p

You shouldn't have TP issues. Just pay attention to the agro bars. Only use overpower when the healers or DPS are catching up to you. I think I was around 50% TP after the first ads died and around 20% TP when the second set of ads died.

Also, you can let the MT get 3 stacks for a short time if the DPS isn't killing the ads fast enough. Just have the MT pop HG if things get that bad and be sure to get agro before the next mountain buster.

WolvenOne

You shouldn't have TP issues. Just pay attention to the agro bars. Only use overpower when the healers or DPS are catching up to you. I think I was around 50% TP after the first ads died and around 20% TP when the second set of ads died.

Also, you can let the MT get 3 stacks for a short time if the DPS isn't killing the ads fast enough. Just have the MT pop HG if things get that bad and be sure to get agro before the next mountain buster.

Ah, I assumed you meant to spam Overpower as a means of accelerating the Burn on the Adds. You're right, if I'm merely throwing out an Overpower every 5-7 seconds to keep healers from overtaking my Enmity, this shouldn't affect my TP too much.

Hmm, I'd rather just get those Adds down before three stacks, if at all possible. You're right though, PLD's especially should be able to survive three stacks for a short period of time. WAR's should too, but of course, we have fewer CD's to burn. Plus Holmgang really is no replacement for that CD that renders PLD's invincible. Between the slight delay, short duration, and the fact that HP can go all the way down to one. :p

Really hope they further rework Holmgang for 2.2.

Teknoman

So GAF, a little question. I'm completely new to the MMO genre, and the posts in this thread are... well they might as well be in a different language. I had to double check the thread title to see if I'm talking about the same game.

Anyway, I'm playing a Gladiator. Just hit level 20. I've barely interacted with anyone else so far, if I'm being honest. Never worked as a party outside of a few Guildleves. So the campaign has opened up to the point that I can visit the other two major cities and with it, a lot of low-level quests are now dotted about the new areas. Is the protocol here to:

b) blast through the quests as my current class to get a "tour" of the new areas?
c) just completely ignore the low-level stuff and carry on with quests around my current level?

A message in game advised mastering my current class before switching, so I don't want to split my XP across multiple classes if it's a bad idea, but I also don't want to paint myself into tanky a corner if I don't have to.

Honestly its up to you. You'll probably have to level 1 or 2 other classes if you want to graduate to a specific job (Warrior, Paladin, Monk, Black Mage, Summoner, etc.)

I will say, pick the job that you want to be your "main" so to speak, check the classes needed for that job, and then focus on those for the time being. If you dont want to be a tank, but like demolishing faces, look into the required classes for Monk or Dragoon.

EDIT: Wolven, I wouldnt worry about your thoughts being misunderstood. If you're frustrated with the battle, everyone in the party probably feels the same way. That and most people kinda beat up on themselves to improve either way, so just make sure you're giving constructive criticism.

Case in point, I was kinda down on my tanking skills after the first run through Pharos, especially after the Siren battle....but after some nice advice, figuring out what and what not to attempt to stun, and just generally knowing when to use provoke, we came out on top in the end.

I still need to work on my stuns, but thats not the point :p

I'll answers your questions.

a) First, decide on what you want your main job to eventually be (Jobs are the next tier after Class and are unlocked upon getting a Class to lv. 30 and secondary Class to lv. 15). The Gladiator Class will eventually lead to the Paladin Job. If you want to continue being a tank and reach Paladin, then continue leveling your Gladiator to 30. In FF XIV, each Job can use the abilities from two additional Classes. For Paladin, this would be Conjurer and Marauder. So, one of those two will need to reach lv. 15 for you to become a Paladin. My advice is to get your starting Class to 30 (or closer to it) and then join another guild and start leveling your second class needed for the Job. But, you're perfectly capable of joining a second guild right now, too. It's up to you, really.

b) For the new quests in the different cities, if they're low leveled, save them for leveling up your second class. You can get a lot of mileage (Exp) from those quests, but there's only a finite number of them, so you want to have a good number of them available when you start leveling a second class from lv. 1.

c) Again, it's up to you! If you want to just continue with your primary class for now and get that to lv. 30, you're perfectly free to do so. This is one of the fun things about this MMO - each person is going to play the game differently. You don't have to follow a set guide exactly; it's up to you when to tackle these things.

WolvenOne

Wolven, I wouldnt worry about your thoughts being misunderstood. If you're frustrated with the battle, everyone in the party probably feels the same way. That and most people kinda beat up on themselves to improve either way, so just make sure you're giving constructive criticism.

Case in point, I was kinda down on my tanking skills after the first run through Pharos, especially after the Siren battle....but after some nice advice, figuring out what and what not to attempt to stun, and just generally knowing when to use provoke, we came out on top in the end.

I still need to work on my stuns, but thats not the point :p

Well, my intentions have been misunderstood in the past, so I'm trying to be extra cautious from now on.

I mean, your right that people should be okay with criticism so long as it's polite and constructive. However, its very easy for tone to be misunderstood when you're communicating via text. As such a little caution couldn't hurt.

gryvan

Dat feeling when coil loot accidently drops to the floor =/.
Lol did it really?

Also if any new people want to go through the new dungeons as any class within a good 20 min with only 2 wipes thats not ex primal, feel free to poke me tor some learning experience.

Ultros GAF of course

Tanks, focus on making good transitions with the other Tank. Ignore Rock Jails unless the other Tank is at 1 Stack or less. If you're splitting your attention between DPSing down the various jails you're a lot more likely to make mistakes. I've learned this the hard way unfortunately. -_-;;

Why? The OT can easily DPS the jail and the MT can DPS the Jail while Titan prepares his push back attack. Every DPS helps on Gaol. If the MT has 2 stacks on the gaol part just change at Landslide.

In the first phase, use Voke during the Plumes. I think on every phase after that (with the exception of the final cycling phase,) use Voke when Titan is firing off Landslides while the current Tank is at two stacks.

I like more use it after his first Jump (beginning of Phase 2), since depending of the DPS after 2 stacks on Phase 1 he can jump at any moment and you can miss your Voke. But not much of a difference, just a matter of preferences.

If you see a three way landslide when it's time to Voke, wait until after it's shot off before running behind Titan. For some reason landslide is particularly unforgiving when it comes to getting behind it. I've also learned this the heard way. Soooo many ring outs.

Yes. As soon as Landslide goes off you can voke + Halone (or Flash)

Up until the Heart Phase. The top priority for DPS is always to Destroy Rock Jails. Don't leave a Jail to go back and fight Titan, the only time you ever want to, "not," DPS a Jail, is if the person inside will be caught by a landslide, or if you're in the final stretch of the Heart Phase. If you need the Off Tank to DPS jails to get them down in time, then chances are you're going to have trouble with the later DPS checks, such as the Heart or Adds. This doesn't mean that Tanks should never help out, but Jails usually hit around the same time Tanks are supposed to switch off.

As I said, I found it easier to change at the Landslide during the Gaol part. That said, there shouldn't even need to tell DPS to focus on Gaols, it's almost common sense

Yep, that's important, also I'd note that if you are gonna be OT, knowing how to handle adds it's a critical moment of the fight.

Responses on bolded.

Jomjom

Banned
Has anyone here redeemed the original CE code for the Onion Helm recently? I want to buy a code because I really like how it looks, and they removed the Red Onion Helm as a drop.

I just want to make sure it'll still work. Also if I redeem it now will all my currently existing characters get it in a in-game moogle mail or something?

WolvenOne

Responses on bolded.

Well, the reason I tend to ignore Rock Jails when it's time for me to take over as Main, is two fold. First, it's a pretty small window in which I can help out anyway. This is particularly true of the back Jail, as you have to get back to Titan to either Voke him (if you haven't already established enmity) or two keep him from marching out at the rest of the party.

Second, while this isn't a common mistake of mine, twice before I've went to Voke Titan, and instead shot off my Voke at the back Jail. In both cases it looked like Titan had been selected, but I guess I hadn't confirmed my selection or something.

Perhaps this isn't a problem if you Voke during the Stomp. Having a larger window until Titan starts freely moving around, might reduce the chance of this sort of accident happening.

Ah, I assumed you meant to spam Overpower as a means of accelerating the Burn on the Adds. You're right, if I'm merely throwing out an Overpower every 5-7 seconds to keep healers from overtaking my Enmity, this shouldn't affect my TP too much.

Hmm, I'd rather just get those Adds down before three stacks, if at all possible. You're right though, PLD's especially should be able to survive three stacks for a short period of time. WAR's should too, but of course, we have fewer CD's to burn. Plus Holmgang really is no replacement for that CD that renders PLD's invincible. Between the slight delay, short duration, and the fact that HP can go all the way down to one. :p

Really hope they further rework Holmgang for 2.2.

These days I greatly prefer being WAR over PLD for many fights. PLD has the vastly superior Oh Shit button in Hallowed Ground over WAR's Holmgang but really most of the time in this game you push the button and maybe it even goes on cool down but you die anyways because this game has such shitty netcode and server code.

What WAR has over PLD is the ability to mitigate 20% damage for 6 seconds every 20 seconds. PLD doesn't have a CD they can use that often. For any fight with a recurring big damage attack every 30 seconds or so such as Titan EX and Twintania this means WAR can mitigate 20% damage straight up every time it happens. The PLD can rotate through CDs until he runs out and then he's done, he has to wait until his CDs are up again to use them again. The WAR just does another 5 Wrath building attacks and his Inner Beast is back.

For unpredictable spike damage a PLD is still better but everything in this game is on a set pattern and a WAR who knows the rotations and the skills will be better for long fights right now.

These days I greatly prefer being WAR over PLD for many fights. PLD has the vastly superior Oh Shit button in Hallowed Ground over WAR's Holmgang but really most of the time in this game you push the button and maybe it even goes on cool down but you die anyways because this game has such shitty netcode and server code.

What WAR has over PLD is the ability to mitigate 20% damage for 6 seconds every 20 seconds. PLD doesn't have a CD they can use that often. For any fight with a recurring big damage attack every 30 seconds or so such as Titan EX and Twintania this means WAR can mitigate 20% damage straight up every time it happens. The PLD can rotate through CDs until he runs out and then he's done, he has to wait until his CDs are up again to use them again. The WAR just does another 5 Wrath building attacks and his Inner Beast is back.

For unpredictable spike damage a PLD is still better but everything in this game is on a set pattern and a WAR who knows the rotations and the skills will be better for long fights right now.

HG as many other skills in the game dosn't go off until the animation is finished. And that's almost 1 sec for HG. not saying it sucks or anything, but is pretty much by design.

Well, the reason I tend to ignore Rock Jails when it's time for me to take over as Main, is two fold. First, it's a pretty small window in which I can help out anyway. This is particularly true of the back Jail, as you have to get back to Titan to either Voke him (if you haven't already established enmity) or two keep him from marching out at the rest of the party.

Second, while this isn't a common mistake of mine, twice before I've went to Voke Titan, and instead shot off my Voke at the back Jail. In both cases it looked like Titan had been selected, but I guess I hadn't confirmed my selection or something.

Perhaps this isn't a problem if you Voke during the Stomp. Having a larger window until Titan starts freely moving around, might reduce the chance of this sort of accident happening.

That depends to the coodination between you and the other tank but what I do is if I have to go Main during Gaol, I DPS the first rock normally, try to do an attack or two on the second rock if possible then I voke on the landslide, the other tank should be helping with rock. I have enough time to move behind titan on Landslide animation so he never moves to pt.

WolvenOne

Twice in the past week, I've used Holmgang, saw the animation for it activating, and then died two seconds later anyway. Heck, in one case I could even see the chain between the target and my limp dead body.

Honestly, I'd just assume they broke Holmgang into two moves. One that Yanked an enemy towards you while adding a bit of enmity, and another that prevented HP from falling under say 1000, for 10 seconds, and had a slightly faster CD than the PLD's Invincible CD. (whatever it's called.)

You are right that IB is extremely useful, especially when you become familiar enough with a fight to know when big attacks are about to come.

Edit: Barring that, then simply giving it a longer duration and a shorter cool down would be sufficient. If it was a 12 second duration, it'd be a lot easier to error on the side of caution and maybe fire it off a few seconds earlier. Giving it a shorter cool down seems fair, given how much less useful it is than PLD's Invincibility CD. Not talking about an incredibly short CD mind you, more like dropping 1/4th to 1/3rd the current CD time.

Granted, this might make WAR's slightly OP. I'm not entirely certain.

HG as many other skills in the game dosn't go off until the animation is finished. And that's almost 1 sec for HG. not saying it sucks or anything, but is pretty much by design.

This is pretty much the only MMO I've ever played where skills trigger after animations and not before. Every other MMO triggers the skill and then plays the animation. There are many good reasons why other games do it that way which Squenix seem blissfully unaware of. Which is typical of them. Please understand.

WolvenOne

This is pretty much the only MMO I've ever played where skills trigger after animations and not before. Every other MMO triggers the skill and then plays the animation. There are many good reasons why other games do it that way which Squenix seem blissfully unaware of. Which is typical of them. Please understand.

Yeeeaaahhh, that'd also help. I mean the HM animation isn't long, but it does take a second, and if the servers are lagging at all that could mean 2-3 seconds before it takes effect. For a CD with a 6 second duration that's a problem. :p

Edit: Ditto for IB, or any other CD with a short duration. You don't really have the luxury of firing these off early to account for any delays.

Dat feeling when coil loot accidently drops to the floor =/.

Thankfully that hasn't to our group yet...though I foresee everyone but the casters fighting for whatever caster loot drops now since both of our casters are geared to the teeth in alagan.

pitbull

Banned
Lol did it really?

Also if any new people want to go through the new dungeons as any class within a good 20 min with only 2 wipes thats not ex primal, feel free to poke me tor some learning experience.

Ultros GAF of course

ultros gaf is on dota 2?!?! o_O

WolvenOne

Okay, so, reading back on various replies. Looks like I shouldn't be ignoring the front rock at all, but should only land a hit or two on the back rock, so I can promptly get into position after Landslides.

This is probably a good thing to practice via the DF. Since you don't need to get past the heart phase to do it.

jiggles

Banned
Thanks for the advice, Teknoman and the_sun_king.

I haven't put any thought into what job I want when I get to that level, so I'll continue for now until lvl 30 and skip all the low-level quests until I'm starting a new class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom