• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadRNG

In the party I roll with, the first tank to pull doesn't get ads. Since I was WAR, I got the ads. WARs have the best agro generation and a perfect toolkit for picking up those little buggers and keeping them planted.
PLD are pretty great for add duty too, since if you are on adds you won't have Titan for line bombs you can use big cooldowns to eat the first set or even stand in goo without effecting you much. Tempered Will and HG ignoring landslides is great too (or for when it's Monday night SE's servers are porked and you're lagging hard)

Aggro should not be an issue for either tank, especially if you're properly queuing up threat combo before spawn.

If only LB2 is ready then obviously the other dps help out to make sure it goes down, but in the case that LB3 is ready and other DPS isn't needed, should the others just sit there and wait for it to go boom?
LB3 won't one shot it, with a full i90 weapon group it does like 80-90% I think? Having DPS spare a few seconds by dpsing big while Final Heaven is being cast is better than risking a big and little detonation at same time.

This is pretty much the only MMO I've ever played where skills trigger after animations and not before. Every other MMO triggers the skill and then plays the animation. There are many good reasons why other games do it that way which Squenix seem blissfully unaware of. Which is typical of them. Please understand.
What sucks is that they clearly can change this, like how they removed the wind up on Overpower, but they choose not to. Getting rid of long wind up animations would be such a huge QoL change for tanks, and I'm sure a few others too(Benediction fail is almost as common as HG fail)

Okay, so, reading back on various replies. Looks like I shouldn't be ignoring the front rock at all, but should only land a hit or two on the back rock, so I can promptly get into position after Landslides.
In a group with good dps you'll likely only get two-three hits on back rock to begin with, but that's not the idea, you should stay until that thing is broken if you are OT. The next MB doesn't come until after a stomp then weight pre-heart, it doesn't come until after stomps post. You have more than enough time.

WolvenOne

In a group with good dps you'll likely only get two-three hits on back rock to begin with, but that's not the idea, you should stay until that thing is broken if you are OT. The next MB doesn't come until after a stomp then weight pre-heart, it doesn't come until after stomps post. You have more than enough time.

Alright, so, don't rush. I have time so I should just stay calm and take my time with things.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Alright, so, don't rush. I have time so I should just stay calm and take my time with things.

As a tank (MT or OT), don't go, Holy Shit 2 stacks, Provoke! Time GO GO!

First get the situation you are in resolved, then voke, the next few seconds aren't going to be wipe hole party due to you missing "that window"

Example in Garuda Ex when spiny comes out to play, mostly OT pulls it to the side, then everyone AOE the feathers, continue working on Garuda, the mechanics she has to tell you 2 stacks have been achieved is the 2nd Slipstream she throws out
Most people get 2 stacks and go crazy, like take it off me, I'm gonna die, I have at least a 10 sec buffer to grab it

Sometimes I rushed into voking the damn plume, ate slipstream afterwards, now just as she starts Slipstream, I go through her, voke spiny, keep tanking

Same goes for Titan, you really don't need to super rush in just as 2 stacks hit
DPS Burn plays a huge fucking part

If you an ungodly amount of ilvl85+ players decked the fuck out, phases get pushed hella' fast
Hell some from Awake, DPS so hard, they only see 1 Mountain Buster, so 1 stack going into the phase, OT only picks it up, just as it's going into next phase
Heart Phase is finished before he can drop the clockwise pattern bombs
Then the last phase they get 1 Super Bombs rotation at least

The problem is Garuda and Ifrit are forgiving in their mechanics
Titan isn't so much, the falling off the arena, the confined space and lag issue can wipe the whole team due to a death or two

You can memorize the whole list and keep practicing, Titan Ex requires luck also from the netcode gods
I have had 2-3 second lag bursts, where on my screen I'm frozen, then 3 second catch up I'm dead due to eating quintuple Weight of the Lands
Other times I run such a pristine run, yet someone else had shit happen to them, which made them die
It's almost like you have to hope all 8 of you get no lag sprinkles, if you do your fucked
(SE can change all the decimal point delays and monitor it, but lag plays a huge part in this game)

WolvenOne

As a tank (MT or OT), don't go, Holy Shit 2 stacks, Provoke! Time GO GO!

First get the situation you are in resolved, then voke, the next few seconds aren't going to be wipe hole party due to you missing "that window"

Example in Garuda Ex when spiny comes out to play, mostly OT pulls it to the side, then everyone AOE the feathers, continue working on Garuda, the mechanics she has to tell you 2 stacks have been achieved is the 2nd Slipstream she throws out
Most people get 2 stacks and go crazy, like take it off me, I'm gonna die, I have at least a 10 sec buffer to grab it

Sometimes I rushed into voking the damn plume, ate slipstream afterwards, now just as she starts Slipstream, I go through her, voke spiny, keep tanking

Same goes for Titan, you really don't need to super rush in just as 2 stacks hit
DPS Burn plays a huge fucking part

If you an ungodly amount of ilvl85+ players decked the fuck out, phases get pushed hella' fast
Hell some from Awake, DPS so hard, they only see 1 Mountain Buster, so 1 stack going into the phase, OT only picks it up, just as it's going into next phase
Heart Phase is finished before he can drop the clockwise pattern bombs
Then the last phase they get 1 Super Bombs rotation at least

The problem is Garuda and Ifrit are forgiving in their mechanics
Titan isn't so much, the falling off the arena, the confined space and lag issue can wipe the whole team due to a death or two

You can memorize the whole list and keep practicing, Titan Ex requires luck also from the netcode gods
I have had 2-3 second lag bursts, where on my screen I'm frozen, then 3 second catch up I'm dead due to eating quintuple Weight of the Lands
Other times I run such a pristine run, yet someone else had shit happen to them, which made them die
It's almost like you have to hope all 8 of you get no lag sprinkles, if you do your fucked
(SE can change all the decimal point delays and monitor it, but lag plays a huge part in this game)

Yeah, I use ping zapper to keep lag to a minimum, but in maintenance days especially it tends to pop back up.

Plus, as you said, even if you're good, that doesn't mean everyone in your party will be.

Living in Australia is sometimes fun, wake up Tuesday morning (when the reset happens) and try to get my coil done... except for the last 2 weeks it seems that it's been getting harder and harder to get past T1. Today I've taken a break because the 5th party couldn't work together to beat T1 and i was starting to get frustrated.

Has anyone else who pugs coil noticed this? I think it is related to crystal tower 'artificially' boosting some players ilvl and potentially teaching bad habits. I'll get back to it tomorrow I guess and spend some quality time with baby :) she always cheers me up (re throws up on me).

WolvenOne

Living in Australia is sometimes fun, wake up Tuesday morning (when the reset happens) and try to get my coil done... except for the last 2 weeks it seems that it's been getting harder and harder to get past T1. Today I've taken a break because the 5th party couldn't work together to beat T1 and i was starting to get frustrated.

Has anyone else who pugs coil noticed this? I think it is related to crystal tower 'artificially' boosting some players ilvl and potentially teaching bad habits. I'll get back to it tomorrow I guess and spend some quality time with baby :) she always cheers me up (re throws up on me).

Possibly, noticing a lot more groups pugging Coil lately. Partly that's going to be the natural consequence of so much time passing, but CT has definitely accelerated things a bit.

Taking a day or so for some me time isn't a bad idea though. Sometimes you need a little time away from an activity to do it properly.

WolvenOne

Wuuut? Is there a Dota 2 LS or a steam group for us FFXIV/Dota players? Pretty much the only 2 games I play now and they leave no room for others (or a social life)

Which is precisely why I will never pick up Dota or LoL. It's hard enough maintaining a social life with just FFXIV on my itinerary. XD

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Gryvan why did you not invite me to your DOTA 2 ls? Not cool dude, you know I play that game. I don't think we can be friends anymore.

gryvan

gawd damn it pitbull why did you make this complicated D:

I dun has dota 2 LS, and I has been playing more FF lately too but still play dota

Was not expecting to beat Titan HM today on the first shot, let alone do so without dying once. But, I did it. Gotta give thanks to Ultros GAF!

My advice to anyone who is intimidated is don't be! Watch a couple (or three) videos of the hard mode Primals, recognize their attacks and how to react to them, and immediately stop whatever you're doing and book it whenever any AoE appears beneath your feet! Oh, and definitely try to get a party composed of your fellow FC members/buddies. I did these things and I didn't think they were too difficult.

WolvenOne

Alright, got past Heart Phase several times in the DF tonight. Lucked out and got a group full of high level players that mostly knew the fight already.

I went in as the Off Tank this time, and honestly it felt like a better match. The only trip up there was the the healers were both Scholars, so they were pretty much doing a constant heal burn (no single big heals after all.) As such I lost enmity the first few times I kited the Adds from one side to the other. The last time I didn't, but the group didn't last much longer. Too many people there didn't seem to have a firm idea what to do in that phase.

Next time I'm in that position I'm going to use Heavy Swing and Skull Sunder on Titan a couple times, so that the Combo-ed Butcher's Block is ready to go. I'm told that'll aggro at least one of the adds firmly onto me. Hopefully I'll be able to hold the two together long enough as use either Steel Cyclone or a couple Overpowers, because either will usually anchor enemies too me pretty well. Also I need to take a look at that Bomb pattern in the video. I managed to dodge the blast a couple times, but I was pretty much playing it by ear. As main I wasn't really in a position to dodge that after all. Mainly use used CD's to blunt it while maining.

Again, mechanics don't really seem that complex, so it's simpler than Garuda in that regard. But it's really unforgiving. Hopefully I can get some more chances to try the post-heart stuff again soon, because I think I can get it, if I'm in a group that can hold itself together that long.

Also, the servers BITE on Reset Day! I used to think they were crap because maintenance was often on Monday, but, yeah it just occurred to me that it really isn't. I guess a ton of people just log in on Monday to run Coil, or cap Myth.

I wonder if it'd help if they put the resets for CT/Coil/Myth, on different days, hmm.

Wilsongt

I just saw a picture of summoner AF+2...

yZ2tAgS.png

rFnSz9Y.gif

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ahhhhhh I can't believe we wiped.
man.
so close.
soooooo close.
I wish I would have screenshot it but I was in tunnel vision mode.

chrono01

ahhhhhh I can't believe we wiped.
man.
so close.
soooooo close.
I wish I would have screenshot it but I was in tunnel vision mode.
I kind of wish no screenshot exists, having to re-live that moment [albeit visually] would only cause the pain/regret to immerge once again. 4,000HP off from a Twintania kill...

;_;

But we have her Thursday!! If we can go back in, refreshed and focused, there's no reason we won't be successful. At least, that's how I prefer to view things!

chrono01

Wow, I didn't even know you guys were seriously attempting Twin.
We have been, but only really seriously for the last couple weeks [after we beat the Extreme Primals].

Our progress has been pretty constant, though. Every night we, more-or-less, get further than the one before, and not by a small margin. It's great to see.

I'm really proud of our group, especially for those playing in some pretty strange time-zones. I'm fully confident that we'll clear Turn 5 this week, if not on Thursday [when we can next raid again]. I think we all have the concepts down, and the skill is there, we just have to execute [which we will!].

Hey, I didn't say anything like that. I just hadn't heard about you guys doing serious Twin attempts, so I was surprised.

We made a lot of progress today. Fixed our problems by sticking to a consistent strategy instead of changing it every time, so it helps when everyone is on the same page. Should be able to down it this week.

WolvenOne

Really hope you guys get your Twin kill soon.

Crossing my fingers that I'll get mine/ours before 2.2 hits. *knocks on wood, knocks HARD*

BadRNG

Next time I'm in that position I'm going to use Heavy Swing and Skull Sunder on Titan a couple times, so that the Combo-ed Butcher's Block is ready to go. I'm told that'll aggro at least one of the adds firmly onto me. Hopefully I'll be able to hold the two together long enough as use either Steel Cyclone or a couple Overpowers, because either will usually anchor enemies too me pretty well. Also I need to take a look at that Bomb pattern in the video. I managed to dodge the blast a couple times, but I was pretty much playing it by ear. As main I wasn't really in a position to dodge that after all. Mainly use used CD's to blunt it while maining.

Also, the servers BITE on Reset Day! I used to think they were crap because maintenance was often on Monday, but, yeah it just occurred to me that it really isn't. I guess a ton of people just log in on Monday to run Coil, or cap Myth.

I wonder if it'd help if they put the resets for CT/Coil/Myth, on different days, hmm.
Once you get the general timing of when adds will come, this is best, and should be applied to any fight with newly spawned adds. I've never seen a healer or dps that can pull off before you can land more hits in that set up. I haven't done Titan EX as WAR but as PLD a RoH on first add then moving to second and Spirits Within/Fast Blade into Flash as first catches up has never failed me. Should be even easier as WAR since you have Steel Cyclone and Overpower.

Bombs may be tough for tanks who never learned the whole fight in HM (ie more than just stand there). The idea is that bombs that spawn first will blow first, so you run to the set that spawns last, and when first ones blow you run there quickly before last set can go. When in doubt just follow the healers. For the bomb set that occurs during adds, I would not really prioritize dodging them, if you can great but less you move around with the adds the better (especially if you have a lot of melee dps).

And yeah servers are awful. This is the first night in weeks we didn't have extreme cases of lag spikes and d/cs(more of a moderate case...) for the monday night runs. One Monday night we were doing Ifrit and entire group got booted twice, and once it glitched and everyone zoned in "solo". The game thought we weren't in a party.

I don't trust SE's servers enough to believe the strain would be much less if they changed the days, so rather have it all on one just so rest of week will be safe...ish.

Wow, I didn't even know you guys were seriously attempting Twin.
Don't blame you, we only just started putting much effort there like week before last. We had given it some half ass tries forever ago but scheduling issues in December cut short our desire to learn a new fight, and we spent most of January getting EX primals.

I didn't expect us to get as far as we did tonight, my main goal was just to get snakes down consistently after tons of wasted time on constant strategy changes. It's such an intense fight, but I really see why so many who clear Twin are able to get it down easily each week, once you've gotten one phase down it feels down for good.

Also I want to send out a big thanks to Xarielle for watching our stream over the weekend and talking with us after. Your advice helped a ton, especially in regards to taking breaks. We took several tonight inbetween lockouts and it definitely helped prevent that burnout/regression we usually see near the end of the night.

chrono01

4 caster items dropped in coil today :0

Coil has blessed Makoto. And Tina I suppose
You have no idea. I finally got my Allagan Breeches of Casting as well as the Allagan Robe Belt of Casting [replaced my iLvl 80 Crimson Sash]. After months...MONTHS...of having nothing drop, it was great to see. I strongly encourage Kagari to be leader each and every week until the game begins to stop giving us Caster loot.

I almost lost the Allagan Breeches of Casting, though. I hit Need on the belt and I, in a moment of confusion for actually having gear to roll on, hit Greed for the pants. Thankfully I rolled high [88] and won them, but it nearly beat out a Greed of 81 in the group, and the fact that you can't trade items between players [despite being in the same group]...

Yeah, that was scary.

I must pace myself in the future to not make that mistake again. That would have been difficult to forgive myself for. :/

WolvenOne

Once you get the general timing of when adds will come, this is best, and should be applied to any fight with newly spawned adds. I've never seen a healer or dps that can pull off before you can land more hits in that set up. I haven't done Titan EX as WAR but as PLD a RoH on first add then moving to second and Spirits Within/Fast Blade into Flash as first catches up has never failed me. Should be even easier as WAR since you have Steel Cyclone and Overpower.

Bombs may be tough for tanks who never learned the whole fight in HM (ie more than just stand there). The idea is that bombs that spawn first will blow first, so you run to the set that spawns last, and when first ones blow you run there quickly before last set can go. When in doubt just follow the healers. For the bomb set that occurs during adds, I would not really prioritize dodging them, if you can great but less you move around with the adds the better (especially if you have a lot of melee dps).

And yeah servers are awful. This is the first night in weeks we didn't have extreme cases of lag spikes and d/cs(more of a moderate case...) for the monday night runs. One Monday night we were doing Ifrit and entire group got booted twice, and once it glitched and everyone zoned in "solo". The game thought we weren't in a party.

I don't trust SE's servers enough to believe the strain would be much less if they changed the days, so rather have it all on one just so rest of week will be safe...ish.

Don't blame you, we only just started putting much effort there like week before last. We had given it some half ass tries forever ago but scheduling issues in December cut short our desire to learn a new fight, and we spent most of January getting EX primals.

I didn't expect us to get as far as we did tonight, my main goal was just to get snakes down consistently after tons of wasted time on constant strategy changes. It's such an intense fight, but I really see why so many who clear Twin are able to get it down easily each week, once you've gotten one phase down it feels down for good.

Also I want to send out a big thanks to Xarielle for watching our stream over the weekend and talking with us after. Your advice helped a ton, especially in regards to taking breaks. We took several tonight inbetween lockouts and it definitely helped prevent that burnout/regression we usually see near the end of the night.

I think I can manage the timing. They seem to generate roughly ten seconds or so after that phase starts. So I think by the time I fire off the first two portions of the Combo and get over to the western portion of the area they should about be up.

If it's a little early, that is probably fine. That Combo will stay ready for, what 10-15 seconds? I imagine I should have a couple seconds to burn.

As for bombs, I have a little practice dodging them, but I'm by no means an expert. I'll take a look at that bomb pattern and see just how practical dodging consistently is. You're right though, it may be better to just Mit my way through that. Especially since Titan uses a Landslide while those bombs are up. The more I move the greater the chance that either I or any melee DPS are going to end up in a landslide.

That does create a little more work for the healers. Sometimes that's the lesser of two evils however, especially if there isn't any way to consistently dodge those bombs safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom