• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those people are speedrunning. They are in a hurry. You don't need to join those people if you don't want to.

Also, most speedrun parties take 1 melee DPS for the Limit Break. If you have only ranged DPS, you are actually slowing your speedrun down because ranged LB is much worse for single targets (i.e. bosses) than melee LB.
Judging by the number of times these people have to shout, they could have finished an entire dungeon in the time it takes them to form their ideal party. If they want to run multiple times in a row that makes more sense. For 1 quick run it seems silly. Also, it seems every day there is another set of people they won't take in their groups. If it continues, they will have no one left to party with. I don't care what they do either way since I have no interest in joining groups like that but it's just an observation. If I'm ever in a situation where I get upset a ps3 player joins my group because I can't get my tomes 10 seconds faster, please shoot me, because I've gone insane.

I think it says more about the balance of the classes than anything. If what you're saying is true, then melee is purely there for one move, LB. It's like Thief in FFXI only being there for Treasure Hunter at endgame. There's clearly an advantage range DPS classes tend to have over close range at the moment.

Ranged DPS classes having advantages over melee DPS classes is a classic problem in MMOs though. It's incredibly hard to balance one class which has to stand right next to a boss with one which can stand far away. None of this is new or unique to ARR.

Kokonoe

Banned
Ranged DPS classes having advantages over melee DPS classes is a classic problem in MMOs though. It's incredibly hard to balance one class which has to stand right next to a boss with one which can stand far away. None of this is new or unique to ARR.

You're kind of coming off as defensive, I'm not trying to bash FFXIV. Actually, despite FFXI's awful overall balance, the classes that were "top tier" were an even mix between range and close range.

Warrior
Dark Knight
Samurai
Black Mage
White Mage
Ranger
Bard
Scholar (maybe?)

SE is capable of it.

As far as other MMOs go, Ragnarok Online didn't have this issue as it was an even mix as well for the top tier classes. Phantasy Star Online was balanced all around, Phantasy Star Online 2 isn't as balanced as PSO1, but it still has an even balancing between ranged and close range.

I honestly don't think it's that hard to tweak a job without turning it into godmode.

Coldsun

Banned
Anybody know anything about Leviathan server? Currently on Gilgamesh with some friends but my cousin might be transferring to Leviathan from Faerie and wants me to join him. Since he and his guild play more (they're on Turn 4) than my friends, I might join them. I don't want to end up on a mediocre or bad server though.

I'm on the Leviathan server? Its definitely not a bad server and is actually pretty active Thursday - Sunday

Lain

When playing a melee in this game, I can't help but wonder who was the funny person that thought making hits connect at the end of the animation and not when you press they key was a good idea
It really isn't funny to run behind a mob, basically sniffing his ass, and getting all your actions interrupted because the animation doesn't connect.
Or those Leves where you have to use an item on a monster, you go to the monster, you use the item, the monster moves before the animation finishes, you have to re-use the item.

Physick/Cure actually heal more than Adloquium, check the tooltips.

Generally healing for trash mobs works like this:

Basically I learned that adloquium is fine if you understand how to mana mangement yourself. As you already noticed the big difference is MP cost, but as I've seen some Scholars/Arcanists/Summoners don't get how to watch their mana, when to refresh aetherflow etc.

Thanks for the advice guys. Very helpful. I'll take what you said and try to improve how I'm playing and see how it goes.

It seems DRG and MNK are now excluded for the elitist parties. Past few days I've seen shouts where they say they no close range dps or range dps only.

No PS3, Relic Weapon, Paladin only, Range DPS only.

Getting some FFXI flashbacks here.

Yeah, I'll be very curious to see what kind of class balancing stuff happens in 2.1 because I can't imagine they'll just leave it as it is currently.

To be honest I wish they'd just scrap the whole positioning thing really, though I doubt they would ever give up on that.

With the development team's absolute hard on for AoEs being the primary source of challenge in most encounters it just makes the positioning requirements that much more annoying. I mean, almost every time I have to avoid significant AoE in a battle as a MNK my Greased Lightning goes bye bye. It puts me at such a severe disadvantage compared to a BRD that can do damage on the move.

Lain

Took 14 runs in total, but finally got a Ifrit's Cane. Now I can seriously think about getting the madman thing melded and then turn it in.

Naar

im tryin to pay to renew my subscription but i tried using 3 cards and all of them getting refused. It doesnt even tell me what the error is. Just refuses.

Should I try another method? Im trying to use Credit card

EDIT: Tried to use Crysta and same error. Why doesnt SE want my money?

I just called my bank and verified that there is no problem with my account. Even getting rejected using ultimate play. why cant i get my payment through??

Is it possible because its the weekend, its getting rejected?

WolvenOne

I just called my bank and verified that there is no problem with my account. Even getting rejected using ultimate play. why cant i get my payment through??

Some websites will block attempts to do things like, pay, or sign in, if the first hand full of attempts failed for whatever reason.

I'd suggest waiting a day and trying again.

Naar

Some websites will block attempts to do things like, pay, or sign in, if the first hand full of attempts failed for whatever reason.

I'd suggest waiting a day and trying again.

That I know, but why would it block my first attempt? Like I said I checked with my bank and they said there is no problem from their end. The bank said the problems seems to be SE not wanting to accept my payment. The only thing I can do is wait for SE Customer support to open on Monday. But I tried all the methods and got rejected on them all.

Would be nice if I could renew subscription using my PSN account though!

Can you buy a subscription/crysta via paypal? I wonder if that would work. I've also had problems in the past on certain sites where they were picky about how my address was entered. Can't remember the specifics but I had a problem with PSN originally because of that. Definitely shouldn't be because it's the weekend though. I wish I could be more helpful.

Naar

Can you buy a subscription/crysta via paypal? I wonder if that would work. I've also had problems in the past on certain sites where they were picky about how my address was entered. Can't remember the specifics but I had a problem with PSN originally because of that. Definitely shouldn't be because it's the weekend though. I wish I could be more helpful.

I didnt try paypal because I dont have a paypal acccount. Dont really want to sign up for multiple accounts and then not use them. Although I have been thinking of making a paypal account recently :p hmmm maybe I should make one anyways regardless if my payment goes through or not

Ken

you can buy crysta using paypal

Ken

It seems DRG and MNK are now excluded for the elitist parties. Past few days I've seen shouts where they say they no close range dps or range dps only.

I like your way of thinking.

but drg dps is the best

woops dp

Reubeucent

Neo Member

I like your way of thinking.

They consider themselves elitist yet they use the most newbie party makeup to make it easier? Sounds more like they suck and need an easy win.

DragonHunterG

Neo Member
They consider themselves elitist yet they use the most newbie party makeup to make it easier? Sounds more like they suck and need an easy win.
exactly. ifrit hm is a perfect example in that most people won't even try without a caster's limit break.

i remember the first time i beat ifrit hm with NO caster and they party relied on me to dish out the LB's. we had 3 dragoons, including me, and a bard. i was a little peeved the way they planned it out: "who will use the limit break?" "shin will use the limit break.", when of course i hadn't even said a word up to that point, i just got drafted. and the other DRGs had same or similar equipment to me. i didn't know whether to take this as a compliment or what but of course the other DRGs were more than happy to pin the responsibility on me and never asked for it either. im sure they thought it impossible or something and i had never seen a win with this strategy before, but i shrug and say to myself, well i'm going to damn well try.

first time we fail, second time we fail, third time we win. it felt a whooooole lot better getting that win. and the ifrits harpoon even dropped. i said i deserve that harpoon for being the LB hero, but the RNG decided otherwise. i was disappointed but walked out of that fight with a newfound respect for myself knowing that even without an optimal set up to make the fight easiest as it can be, it's entirely possible to use some good team work, light strategy and perseverance and come out a better player for it.

Zaptruder

Banned
Dragoons should get their Wyvern pet back as a solution for decreased mobility DPS.

And Monks should get offensive auras that buff melee DPS.

Ken

exactly. ifrit hm is a perfect example in that most people won't even try without a caster's limit break.

i remember the first time i beat ifrit hm with NO caster and they party relied on me to dish out the LB's. we had 3 dragoons, including me, and a bard. i was a little peeved the way they planned it out: "who will use the limit break?" "shin will use the limit break.", when of course i hadn't even said a word up to that point, i just got drafted. and the other DRGs had same or similar equipment to me. i didn't know whether to take this as a compliment or what but of course the other DRGs were more than happy to pin the responsibility on me and never asked for it either. im sure they thought it impossible or something and i had never seen a win with this strategy before, but i shrug and say to myself, well i'm going to damn well try.

first time we fail, second time we fail, third time we win. it felt a whooooole lot better getting that win. and the ifrits harpoon even dropped. i said i deserve that harpoon for being the LB hero, but the RNG decided otherwise. i was disappointed but walked out of that fight with a newfound respect for myself knowing that even without an optimal set up to make the fight easiest as it can be, it's entirely possible to use some good team work, light strategy and perseverance and come out a better player for it.

apparently the weaker more undergeared drg should be doing LB so the better geared DRG(s) can continue to do dps lol since LB damage is supposedly based on team total rather than individual

DragonHunterG

Neo Member
apparently the weaker more undergeared drg should be doing LB so the better geared DRG(s) can continue to do dps lol since LB damage is supposedly based on team total rather than individual
i had the canopus guisarme at the time and i can't remember what the other guys had (armor or otherwise). i will keep that in mind if a situation like that comes up again though for sure.

Victrix

*beard*
My first sub 30min AK run was a double DRG party. BLMs are consistently the worst dps I encounter (not worst as in they do always bad dps, worst as in most consistently lower than other players - the good ones are very damaging).

Don't pay attention to what other people are shouting in MD. It has no bearing on you. Form your own party.

The only time it's a problem is if public perception of certain content/classes makes it very difficult to form your own party, but the only case I've ever run into that was HM Titan as a War (and when I did clear it, I cleared it tanking with two SCH healing, hardly optimal).

For speedrun stuff, they're asking for certain gear/people because they want to clear boring grindy content in the fastest possible manner (even if, on occasion, they don't even understand who/why/what they're taking, they're just aping what they see other people doing).

If you want to do it normally, form a party for just that - don't just shout in MD, go FC->LS->Friends->Shout, and shout in each major area (MD, Coerthas, CdS, QM, and each city). You will get a party together doing that unless it's a really odd hour of the day or something.

If you have an irrational dislike of people shouting for speedrun parties, wait till you have every piece of possible gear from AK and it's the only place you can get Myth tomes from and you'll understand why they're doing that.

It's also worth mentioning that if you have no intention of doing Coil any time soon, you shouldn't even care about Myth, since there will be more sources of it shortly, and Crystal Tower will have ilvl 80 gear soon.

CM/Praet speedruns are equal parts gearing up in Darklight and gearing up in crafted and selling crafted mats for good gil.

Jucksalbe

Banned
How do I properly draw enemies to me as a Marauder (Lv. 20)? Never really needed it until now, but now I'm stuck at a quest in which I have to defend a mage.

Mandoric

Banned

Link? Everything I've seen just has it as an x-potency attack by the user that should go to the best-geared that can dish it out

Ultrabum

If people want to make speedrun parties with crazy requirements let them, that's how they want to play the game.

Similarly, allow me to continue my lalafel only runs of CM.

DragonHunterG

Neo Member
i would love to do Coil, but its like if you haven't watched a video and studied it or have been there before (which i haven't), people dont even want you to play. so i'm not gonna bother with it.

i actually like playing the game as i like playing the game, which is to go into some place for the first time, seeing everything for the first time and learning as i go. later, after success or failure, i dont mind going and watching a video or reading up on it, but before i go some place new, i want to go in fresh. i just enjoy games a lot more that way.

Negator

Finally got turn 1 down. Jeez. That was some shit.

bEFNCET.jpg

Torquill

I can't help but wonder who was the funny person that thought making hits connect at the end of the animation and not when you press they key was a good idea
I must be misunderstanding you. You either want no animations at all for attacks, or you want the game to psychically know which animation to start playing before you press the button.

DaBuddaDa

I must be misunderstanding you. You either want no animations at all for attacks, or you want the game to psychically know which animation to start playing before you press the button.

He wants the affect of the button press to occur at the beginning of an animation, not midway or after it has completed.

Alucrid

Banned

lol, you pressed one button twice

Ultrabum

As a melee, if a mob is running away from you, or towards you and never stops. You cannot attack it unless if moves slower than a certain speed.

If you try and attack it, the whole weapon skill animation will go off, then the last split second, cancel and reset your gcd.

Garuda plumes running are immune to melee until they stop. That prae boss with the claws, the claws are literally immune to all melee dmg, unless they stop.

Torquill

i would love to do Coil, but its like if you haven't watched a video and studied it or have been there before (which i haven't), people dont even want you to play. so i'm not gonna bother with it.

i actually like playing the game as i like playing the game, which is to go into some place for the first time, seeing everything for the first time and learning as i go. later, after success or failure, i dont mind going and watching a video or reading up on it, but before i go some place new, i want to go in fresh. i just enjoy games a lot more that way.
This is where I disagree with their decision to not make it accessible via DF. Even if you have no hope of winning, this provides an environment for getting that initial experience without being caught in the community imposed experience catch 22.

Lain

He wants the affect of the button press to occur at the beginning of an animation, not midway or after it has completed.

What DaBuddaDa said. I don't think I've ever been that frustrated playing a melee class as I've been here when it comes to fleeing or moving mobs. I hit the attack skill, the animation starts since I'm in range, I start running behind the mob to keep in range, but by the time the attack animation should connect, I get told I'm not in range enough.
I don't know, maybe it happens only to me?

Alucrid

Banned
What DaBuddaDa said. I don't think I've ever been that frustrated playing a melee class as I've been here when it comes to fleeing or moving mobs. I hit the attack skill, the animation starts since I'm in range, I start running behind the mob to keep in range, but by the time the attack animation should connect, I get told I'm not in range enough.

It really only happens to me on mobs in AK since their speed was increased.

Torquill

I guess it never bothered me much cause I just stun jump them XD

Ferr986

damn, I though I could complete AK for the relic quest with any job...

Is the same for the primals? I have to beat them with the job Im doing the relic quest?

Khrno

Thanks to the help of _Keiichi_ an amazing SCH, I just beat Titan on my first /sh party ever, and due to that I completed my MNK relic (still need 600 tomes tho).

7/7 relics, no healer jobs for me, feels good.

DragonHunterG

Neo Member
lol, you pressed one button twice
i pressed two buttons twice since i'm using PC controller. the other DRGs certainly weren't volunteering after our fails either. not to mention the fact using a level 3 lb makes you look like a total bad ass. all 7 people walked away from that fight with a story to tell their kids.

Alucrid

Banned
i pressed two buttons twice since i'm using PC controller. the other DRGs certainly weren't volunteering after our fails either. not to mention the fact using a level 3 lb makes you look like a total bad ass. all 7 people walked away from that fight with a story to tell their kids.

"we had one drg in our group with an inflated ego"

MogCakes

overall BRD, because they dont have to mess with enemy positions, so they have it easy to reach their max dmg.

So pretty much like a lot of MMOs where the archer has really good DPS, like RO and TERA. Dat range. I take it the best class to survive with is PLD? Or is it WHM/SCH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom