• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadRNG

Yeeeeeaaah, but I think that's more for fights where the tanking mechanics are simpler, if not downright stationary. I can see a good healer carrying an undergeared Tank through Titan HM for example. All the Tank has to do for that fight is stand still and hold enmity after all. It helps a ton if the Tank knows how to properly mitigate damage, but even that is optional if the healers are good enough.

Buuut, for fights where enmity has to regularly be handed off, adds need to be picked up and kited to specific areas, bombs must be destroyed and landslides must be lured, I can see no practical way to carry Tanks in those fights if they don't know the mechanics.

I mean, sure, they could be carried in the sense that they may be undergeared for the fight, but I still think they need to know the mechanics, and execute them properly.
In the Titan EX case, if he's not on add duty all he really needs to do is stand there and swap. Even if he's horrible with aggro the other tank can compensate by not attacking at all after provoke.

It's true you can't carry the tank in the "he dies at start and we win" sense, but in the "he's awful and other players are massively compensating for his inadequacies" sense there are plenty of opportunities in every fight.

It's not like bad tanks disappear at high level play. You'll see plenty in Ifrit EX just like you did in Garuda and Titan.

rykomatsu

Buuut, for fights where enmity has to regularly be handed off, adds need to be picked up and kited to specific areas, bombs must be destroyed and landslides must be lured, I can see no practical way to carry Tanks in those fights if they don't know the mechanics.

I carried a shit tank who misprovoked on heart phase then died resulting in 5 stacks on other tank while another healer was oom through a cycle to recover. Wiped at like 5% though afterwards

Is it hard to find a group that can beat Titan EX? Really don't feel like wasting hours and hours trying to beat that rock like I did with Garuda.

Aeana

Titan is a very mechanical fight, much like hard mode. What it'll really come down to is whether people are lagging or not. Otherwise, if your DPS is good enough, and you can dodge stuff, it's not that difficult.

desu

Titan is a very mechanical fight, much like hard mode. What it'll really come down to is whether people are lagging or not. Otherwise, if your DPS is good enough, and you can dodge stuff, it's not that difficult.

This, lag often seems to be the biggest issue, too many people that have a bad connection in general.

BadRNG

Is it hard to find a group that can beat Titan EX? Really don't feel like wasting hours and hours trying to beat that rock like I did with Garuda.
It's the hardest fight in the game.

When you're lagging.

Do it/learn it with your coil group, I doubt it'll take that long assuming you don't run into the true final boss of FFXIV. It's pretty much all mechanics, most of which you'll have experience with from HM, the damage is not that high on tanks and the DPS checks are lenient. If you really want to DF/PF it do it at start of the week when most people with experience in the fight do their weekly run.

WolvenOne

I carried a shit tank uwho misprovoked on heart phase then died resulting in 5 stacks on other tank while another healer was oom through a cycle to recover. Wiped at like 5% though afterwards

Okay, I stand corrected.

Still want to learn the fight properly though. I may not be the best tank, but I'm still certain I can get through that fight without being carried.

I just need some solid shots at the final phase. :p

MechaX

The... "community," so to speak, with Titan EX is very fascinating. I know so many people say that lag is never an excuse and folks should just "get good." But just based on my experiences with Titan EX, there are just so many inconsistencies that come down to second/millisecond differentials. I could fuck up and react to plumes late, still have my leg in said plumes, and still manage to come out without a scratch. Sometimes, I could react on point, and get out in time, and still manage to die because the server thought I was still standing in plumes or too close to a bomb, or what have you.

It has gotten to the point where I have to run clear across the arena from plumes or pre-dodge landslides absurdly in advance (sometimes fucking up the positioning) because I'm paranoid that the servers may say something different about where I actually am in the fight. Like, I'm sincerely trying to "get good" and practice the fight, but unlike Titan HM where there is some kind of consistency not so much on Titan's overall patterns, but the mechanics of his individual attacks, I'm still having problems getting the same kind of consistency in EX. I'm getting different feedback in terms of what the game is exactly punishing me for in every fight with the stupid loincloth rock god.

Tabris

I just tried once, but I noticed I was out of plumes or landslide on my screen, but wouldn't be on the server. I had no issues dodging Titan HM when a FC run like my Paladin DPS it (we were doing it for fun). No issues dodging Ultima HM either.

Is there a delay you need to adapt to for this fight when you are on PS3?

Kind of a weird question, but here goes:

When Square Enix finally drops patch 2.2, will the requirements for the Seeker of Truth trophy (Clear the Binding Coil) change?

If there's any trophy that would probably prevent me from getting platinum, it's that one. I typically like to engage in every piece of endgame content barring the most extreme instances like Coil Turns 4 & 5 and the EX Primals; I get performance anxiety and don't want to waste anyone's time with potentially bad tanking. If the additional four turns will push the goalpost further, then I'll try to lump in with a static group next week so I can get it done while Coil is at its easiest.

OgSztEj.jpg
Remember guys, the Goddess has returned

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Kind of a weird question, but here goes:

When Square Enix finally drops patch 2.2, will the requirements for the Seeker of Truth trophy (Clear the Binding Coil) change?

If there's any trophy that would probably prevent me from getting platinum, it's that one. I typically like to engage in every piece of endgame content barring the most extreme instances like Coil Turns 4 & 5 and the EX Primals; I get performance anxiety and don't want to waste anyone's time with potentially bad tanking. If the additional four turns will push the goalpost further, then I'll try to lump in with a static group next week so I can get it done while Coil is at its easiest.

They haven't said, but I imagine you'd 'just' have to DF Turn 5 ten times.

The trophy is just for Clearing Turn 5, not beat it 10 times

The 10 times in the in-game achievement

Also SE can't change the requirement, once the description of the trophy has been written and approved you can't change it once the game has released

Just clear Turn 5, maybe when 2.2 drops and Turn 5 goes farm status + buff boost, most will get it

The lightning event is back? Hmm. I may go for it to get snow's outfit.

Do it to see the goddess.

If you do the first part, you get access to the totally lam-I mean awesome Lightning and Snow hairstyles. Lightning for girls, Snow for boys. Everyone gets shaft-I mean blessed.

D:

So, I picked this game up cheap with the intent of riding out the free month and uninstalling if I wasn't impressed.

So far I'm trying to keep an open mind, and I can't say I'm not enjoying myself, but...eeeeeh.

As a pugilist, how in depth will my rotation (stance transistions, etc) eventually get? Will it reach a point where it gets really freeform and creative, or not evolve much beyond "do this, then this, this and this."

I get they're trying to ease me into the combat, but it's a tad repetitive.

So, I picked this game up cheap with the intent of riding out the free month and uninstalling if I wasn't impressed.

So far I'm trying to keep an open mind, and I can't say I'm not enjoying myself, but...eeeeeh.

As a pugilist, how in depth will my rotation (stance transistions, etc) eventually get? Will it reach a point where it gets really freeform and creative, or not evolve much beyond "do this, then this, this and this."

All of the classes are really bland at first, especially MNK. Once you unlock it and get higher level, that is when the fun starts.

Kenai

Monk has a fairly complex rotation that also relies on mob positioning + keeping on stacks of GL, but it's really bland until the 30s (like most jobs). But I wouldn't necessarily call it freeform, more like "this is optimal rotation and the fight is doing it's best to keep you from being optional, how do you respond" type of deal.

Sophia

All of the classes are really bland at first, especially MNK. Once you unlock it and get higher level, that is when the fun starts.

The first 30 levels are basically a tutorial for every class, and if you've got any experience at all with MMOs or RPGs, you'll probably be slightly bored until then. A lot of classes don't really come into their own until they get a decent amount of abilities.

Noi

Hell, Monk didn't really click for me until I got to 50 and learned Dragon Kick. Being able to do full cycles of attacks for Greased Lightning regardless of whether its Flank or Back is way way better than having to go back to Back for the Bootshine bonus every single time.

Ken

They probably have the most interesting rotation out of all the classes IMO. Unfortunately you don't get to it until level 50.

It's kinda like, "Do this when this is up but do this if not." I guess one way to think about it is that in a rotation of 3 moves, every move has 2 options.

Tash

I hate Ifrit EX..it's actually really easy mechanics wise but in a DF without proper communication it's still a pita.

I tend to lose overview and go into tunnel vision -.-

Have yet to win that stupid thing..

MogCakes

I'm at the hydra fight for my relic now but given the time I wasn't able to find any groups. I'm like 2 ilevels away from being able to do ultima :/ boooo

dcye

I hate Ifrit EX..it's actually really easy mechanics wise but in a DF without proper communication it's still a pita.

I tend to lose overview and go into tunnel vision -.-

Have yet to win that stupid thing..

You guys are good players, would be surprised if you didnt down it soon. Keep at it!

Hey guys, newbie here. I have a quick question regarding the region division. If I have a AUS (EU) PSN account and a US PC code (not yet used), can I link them, or at least choose AUS/EU as my region when registering the US code? Or will I need to create a US PSN account and purchase a like region copy of the game for that console, in order to cross-play on either platform?

Tash

You guys are good players, would be surprised if you didnt down it soon. Keep at it!

Ah, didn't do it with the FC yet. I am sure it's going to be a breeze with a full FC group (need to get more through Titan Ex first :)).

Just a few DF to test the waters.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the responses about Monk/Pugilist. I'm inthe same position and was wondering the same thing. I'm a very casual MMO player and FFXIV is one of the first MMOs I'm actually enjoying. No idea how long I'll play for but I'm currently enjoying pottering about doing the quests and learning the ropes. Not sure I'll ever do much endgame stuff, seems kinda intense and needing to know everything about your role.

Noi

Not bad if the tanks know what to do.

And you don't have DPS that love to stay dead for the entirety of the fight, distracting the healers and leading to the tanks dying as a result.

I don't like Ultima very much. For a fight that only gives i80 accessories, it's very much up there in terms of being completely unforgiving if even one person makes a mistake. Going through hours worth of parties where me (as Tank) and a friend as the other tank do everything perfectly but continue to wipe because some people are incapable of dodging the Ifrit charges is frustrating.

Stuart444

It isn't worth hoping that SE will change how they deal with hit detection/positioning is there? I mean it only really affects me in stuff like Titan (where you're likely to be hit by 3 weights if your unlucky :( ) but it's still annoying when you see you're out of something like meggido flame with Archeon but get hit anyway because the server says "lol".

Sprint might work for some quick getaways but as a Dragoon, that'd really cut into my DPS considering we use TP as our main resource in battle.

Meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom