• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequency

The problem is FFXIV does position checks server side while other games do it client side.

This is not an easy thing to change. So it's never going to be fixed. The only hope is they stop making strict dodging a mechanic in future content.

Tash

It isn't worth hoping that SE will change how they deal with hit detection/positioning is there? I mean it only really affects me in stuff like Titan (where you're likely to be hit by 3 weights if your unlucky :( ) but it's still annoying when you see you're out of something like meggido flame with Archeon but get hit anyway because the server says "lol".

Sprint might work for some quick getaways but as a Dragoon, that'd really cut into my DPS considering we use TP as our main resource in battle.

Meh.

The problem with this is they would have to basically change their whole network and detection code :/
Not going to happen.

Stuart444

The problem is FFXIV does position checks server side while other games do it client side.

This is not an easy thing to change. So it's never going to be fixed. The only hope is they stop making strict dodging a mechanic in future content.

I know it does it server side which is just a huge problem when they make so many mechanics solely based on dodging. :( And I don't think they have even acknowledged it is an issue so I suspect they will make even more things that are strict dodging.

And of course anyone who isn't affected by it (at least noticeably) will say there isn't a problem, "get better internet", "get good" etc.

frequency

I know it does it server side which is just a huge problem when they make so many mechanics solely based on dodging. :( And I don't think they have even acknowledged it is an issue so I suspect they will make even more things that are strict dodging.

And of course anyone who isn't affected by it (at least noticeably) will say there isn't a problem, "get better internet", "get good" etc.

It's very unfortunate and really brings down otherwise decent encounter designs for a lot of people.

The developers are in Japan with generally faster internet and the country is way smaller so the issue is really mitigated. They wouldn't even be able to experience the issue themselves so it's probably not a very high priority thing to them.

I really feel for Europeans especially who have to connect to some terrible servers across the ocean in Montreal...

Too many people are incapable of considering others' situations.

Stuart444

I really feel for Europeans especially who have to connect to some terrible servers across the ocean in Montreal...

Which is my position sadly. Oh well, I do have fun with this game but this does bring it down a little.

On a separate note: My second week doing CT, my second week not seeing DRG leggings. I took my chest piece (which I love) because I knew I wouldn't see it before I capped my myth and I was right. Leggings seem rare in general though.

Load of monk stuff drops though, followed by Bard and then Crimson stuff whenever I run it.

dcye

Got my Visor and Ring of Maiming from T4 today, but had the BIS Ring of Striking taken in T1 by a pugged Bard who didnt have any other 50's. I get that he has the right to greed on it just as much as I do but I've been after it for so many months and it was the first time I'd ever seen it drop :(. I'm not proud of it but I lost my shit at him, like off the chain with the caps lock. Probably my darkest moment as an FFXIV player but I was just so pissed off.

At least I got the two drops from T4 to make up for it later in the day.

kirby2096

Which is my position sadly. Oh well, I do have fun with this game but this does bring it down a little.

On a separate note: My second week doing CT, my second week not seeing DRG leggings. I took my chest piece (which I love) because I knew I wouldn't see it before I capped my myth and I was right. Leggings seem rare in general though.

Load of monk stuff drops though, followed by Bard and then Crimson stuff whenever I run it.

Have you tried using WTFast, Battleping or other VPN services. I'm also UK-based and had problems reliably moving out of plumes on reaction.
When connected via VPN I could be slow and only barely move out of them before they went off and I'd still be alright.
It's a shame we have to pay extra for something we shouldn't have to to deal with game mechanics.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
God people are dumb at spending their gil

The saying a fool and his money, my goodness rings true in FFXIV so f'n loudly

I know people are a little lazy here and there, cut corners, but GOOD LORD! @ some people just burning their gil away

I don't mind taking their gil and pondering, how lazy can people really be

Stuart444

Have you tried using WTFast, Battleping or other VPN services. I'm also UK-based and had problems reliably moving out of plumes on reaction.
When connected via VPN I could be slow and only barely move out of them before they went off and I'd still be alright.
It's a shame we have to pay extra for something we shouldn't have to to deal with game mechanics.

Considered it but we have two connections to FFXIV here, PS3 and PC and It will probably be a lot of trouble to try and set it up on PS3 :/

Isaccard

God people are dumb at spending their gil

The saying a fool and his money, my goodness rings true in FFXIV so f'n loudly

I know people are a little lazy here and there, cut corners, but GOOD LORD! @ some people just burning their gil away

I don't mind taking their gil and pondering, how lazy can people really be

Who cares? If you weren't benefiting from their "fools gold" one might complain that said fools are too dumb to spend their Gil. Gil isint particularly hard to come by outside of the market.

GraveRobberX

Who cares? If you weren't benefiting from their "fools gold" one might complain that said fools are too dumb to spend their Gil. Gil isint particularly hard to come by outside of the market.

Well I cared

It's just an observation of how some people never do a little leg work and try to figure the best means possible to save gil, that's all

Some really just want to use up their gil the worst way possible

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Hey guys, decided to finally get around to picking this up and giving it a fair shot! Played a couple hours in so far and am pleasantly surprised by it.

Is the GAF Guild on ULTROS taking any new members currently? I'd love to join :)

Aeana

Hey guys, decided to finally get around to picking this up and giving it a fair shot! Played a couple hours in so far and am pleasantly surprised by it.

Is the GAF Guild on ULTROS taking any new members currently? I'd love to join :)
Yeah, always. We haven't been full since near launch. Just go to http://neogaf.guildwork.com and put in an application and then send a tell to any of the people listed in the OP of this thread under Ultros.
EDIT: Oh it doesn't list everybody. I'll have to fix that. In addition to those people, you can also send a tell to Mira Mora, Renault Cathetel, Remiel Cathetel, Elliott Kirkland, or Guy Incognito.

Teknoman

Best I have is a screenshot of a friend who did.

1391680535702.png

Why isnt this a FATE boss? The puns write themselves!

Deacon

Finally did coil last night doing t1-2 and then 3 for the lols. Overall a fun experience though I have to say that the T2 enrage strat was not fun for me. I was asked to switch from PLD to a healer so I was a woefully undergeared SCH in a group with one silencer. Wiped on the 3rd node 3 times and if the ADS fight lasted just a few seconds longer we would have wiped on it

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Ha! Fat chance! It's all that seem to know how to do. =/

WolvenOne

Ping zapper helps a ton with things like position checks, but of course that's really only an applicable solution for PC gamers.

Hopefully they move the European data centers to Europe at some point. That'd probably be easier than implementing server side position checks, at least in the near term.

Course, the game needs to continue to do well for them to be able to justify doing that.

GraveRobberX

Ping zapper helps a ton with things like position checks, but of course that's really only an applicable solution for PC gamers.

Hopefully they move the European data centers to Europe at some point. That'd probably be easier than implementing server side position checks, at least in the near term.

Course, the game needs to continue to do well for them to be able to justify doing that.

Well SE financials say FFXIV has helped get some money into their coffers
Hopefully they see it's worth investing and really fix the glaring issue

WolvenOne

Well SE financials say FFXIV has helped get some money into their coffers
Hopefully they see it's worth investing and really fix the glaring issue

Yeah I saw that, and hopefully they do see FFXIV as a title worth investing some not-insubstantial funds in. The base game is wonderful, and with a little work to add more content and polish up it's netcode it COULD be even better.

I just hope they don't decide to lowball the games funds and to squeeze the subscribers while they can, without putting any serious effort into the title. I don't think they will, but, SE has done things in the past that I thought they wouldn't do, so I can't take anything for-granted.

Yeah I saw that, and hopefully they do see FFXIV as a title worth investing some not-insubstantial funds in. The base game is wonderful, and with a little work to add more content and polish up it's netcode it COULD be even better.

I just hope they don't decide to lowball the games funds and to squeeze the subscribers while they can, without putting any serious effort into the title. I don't think they will, but, SE has done things in the past that I thought they wouldn't do, so I can't take anything for-granted.

To fix the "lag", they would have to change the client/server code to move position checking to the client side. In most online games, the client reports to the server what its position is and unless there is a severe mismatch between where the client says the player is and where the server thinks it should be, it runs along happily.

When there is a mismatch, you get that rubber banding effect where you suddenly find yourself back several steps from where your screen was showing you as being.

You saw how long it took them to add item sorting, I'm sure.

That was because they were originally sorting the players' items on the server side but the load became too great when the armory chest was implemented with its extra 300 slots of inventory per character to sort, so they disabled sorting until 2.1 when they were able to change sorting to being a client-side process.

Obviously I'm not saying that they couldn't do this, but it seems unlikely that they would spend the time on something that is assuredly a monumental effort to change when they could be developing new content instead, especially when it's an issue that their Japanese customers are less likely to suffer from.

WolvenOne

To fix the "lag", they would have to change the client/server code to move position checking to the client side. In most online games, the client reports to the server what its position is and unless there is a severe mismatch between where the client says the player is and where the server thinks it should be, it runs along happily.

When there is a mismatch, you get that rubber banding effect where you suddenly find yourself back several steps from where your screen was showing you as being.

You saw how long it took them to add item sorting, I'm sure.

That was because they were originally sorting the players' items on the server side but the load became too great when the armory chest was implemented with its extra 300 slots of inventory per character to sort, so they disabled sorting until 2.1 when they were able to change sorting to being a client-side process.

Obviously I'm not saying that they couldn't do this, but it seems unlikely that they would spend the time on something that is assuredly a monumental effort to change when they could be developing new content instead, especially when it's an issue that their Japanese customers are less likely to suffer from.

Read back a few comments. While I'd eventually like to see the netcode fixed up (if this game ends up having a ten year lifespan this shouldn't be ruled out,) my initial proposal was for Square to simply move the European data center to Europe.

Wouldn't help American players of course, but it'd reduce the problem for a significant number of Square's clientele, and maybe give them a little leeway to find alternative solutions.

Also, using item sorting as an analogy isn't really all that apt. If, like item sorting, client side positioning was implemented after another patch, I wouldn't consider positioning to be a significant problem.

Read back a few comments. While I'd eventually like to see the netcode fixed up (if this game ends up having a ten year lifespan this shouldn't be ruled out,) my initial proposal was for Square to simply move the European data center to Europe.

Wouldn't help American players of course, but it'd reduce the problem for a significant number of Square's clientele, and maybe give them a little leeway to find alternative solutions.

Also, using item sorting as an analogy isn't really all that apt. If, like item sorting, client side positioning was implemented after another patch, I wouldn't consider positioning to be a significant problem.

Ah, I apologize. I didn't see your earlier post.

I agree, they should give the europeans servers of their own (in europe). I can't imagine what it's like for them. Also, by mentioning the item sorting thing, I was only using it as a means to indicate just how many things they were/are doing server side and how big of a deal those kinds of changes are to make.

Changing the net code would be a much larger issue than item sorting and they would likely have to re-balance all of their encounters with that in mind.

frequency

They built this game to mostly be server side as a way to combat RMT and hacking.

It didn't work out so well.

Changing it would be infeasible.

European servers for Europeans would be great but unfortunately I don't see that happening given how reluctant they were to add just a few servers to the existing farms when people couldn't log in near launch.

Really I just wish they would do something else for difficulty than adding more red circles.

They built this game to mostly be server side as a way to combat RMT and hacking.

It didn't work out so well.

Changing it would be infeasible.

European servers for Europeans would be great but unfortunately I don't see that happening given how reluctant they were to add just a few servers to the existing farms when people couldn't log in near launch.

Really I just wish they would do something else for difficulty than adding more red circles.

Last prodcuer letter Yoshida implies we'll see more battles designed like T4. Combating waves of enemies and dealing with them the most fast and efficient way. Particularly I don't find T4 the most engaging and interesting battle, but I guess is a wrokaround to not have as many dodging mechanics.

That said I'm from Europe and is not like I don't have problems and sometimes frequent, lag spikes and 90k mostly, but when it works, it works pretty well. I can evade most plumes and shit mostly by just reacting. Sometimes I get hit when it was enough to save my ass the other 20 times, but I don't have the "I see Titan moving all over the place" or "I have to move 2 seconds before plumes to evade it".

Aeana

Man, my software token app reset again. At least this time I had the emergency removal password. What a pain in the butt, though.

Why's that?

Second week in the row, something happened with our WHM, whether it be dropping out or internet issues, twice now where 'Oh that i86 WHM I have sure would be handy right now...opps already did Turns 1-4 earlier this week, derp' moments pop up. It seems like just more of a headache than I thought...=(

Man, my software token app reset again. At least this time I had the emergency removal password. What a pain in the butt, though.

Have you considered buying a physical token?

MogCakes

Got Hydra done, redid all the HM primals/mastered Garuda/Titan HMs (NO DEATH FUCK YEAH), then ran CT for philos and got caster boots after bone dragon (only wiped once at atomos and I died once at behemoth king when I couldn't reach the comet fast enough).

Eventful and happy day. Also met some awesome people who partied with me from Hydra through CT.

Still have to run CT 3 more times to get my relic -_-

It's very strange that you are having this problem. I wonder what the underlying cause of this is. Either there is something wrong with your phone or maybe someone is trying to hack your account?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It's very strange that you are having this problem. I wonder what the underlying cause of this is. Either there is something wrong with your phone or maybe someone is trying to hack your account?

I agree. I haven't heard of anybody else having the app reset itself.

lag has been much better with me since they updated their server checks in 2.1. previously i would get fooked by titan and even simple dodging in T2 for no reason. these days i can perfect dodge titan while in DD mode regularly. i do get hit sometimes, but the difference is huge.

however, random disconnects are a mystery to me. pretty much never happens to me. and i've been playing since beta on ps3.

So, the last couple days I tried to farm me a Garuda caster ring:

garudaihateyou66ulq.png

Guess which of the 5 different rings is still missing D:

That's pretty weird, only thing that has dropped for me in EX Garuda has been casting/healing rings. Which works for me since I have a Coil ready SMN and WHM.

Hey guys, newbie here. I have a quick question regarding the region division.

If I have an AUS (EU) PSN account and a US PC code (not yet used), can I link them, or at least choose AUS/EU as my region when registering the US code?

Or will I need to create a US PSN account and purchase a like region copy of the game for that console, in order to cross-play on either platform?

Quoting for the new page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom