• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enjolras

Neo Member
Now that it's been getting a lot quieter at work, it's been a lot easier for me to get online and play for good length sessions. As a result, I think I'm on the home straight for completing the storyline (hopefully by the weekend) - just did Stone Vigil today which I'm pretty sure we only got through thanks to a Scholar who literally talked us through the whole dungeon (and we had 12 mins to spare at the end).

I'm not sure whether to jump straight into working towards Darklight/Relic, or to start levelling up another class (DPS this time) to have more practice with dungeons before I go through as my PLD main class. Being the only one who doesn't know a dungeon sucks a whole lot more when you're a tank - and even though I'll need to relearn bosses from a tank perspective, at least being familiar with the move pattern and things to watch out for will be a huge boost. Any thoughts? (I know there are lots of people who don't mind helping new tanks, but it frustrates me more than anything when I make mistakes due to not knowing the fights.)

Isaccard

Ugh, I may have to miss tonight's Coil session. I need to move some furniture, I was going to do it earlier in the evening, and may be able to still manage that, but somebody I counted on had to change their schedule, so chances are I won't be able to start until an hour before our group is supposed to meet.

Craaap.

Dear diary

chrono01

This is very true. I tried T5 last night with just one tank and we managed to kill the snakes just fine but we had people with alagan weapons and I don't think it's a viable strategy for people trying to clear it for the first time(myself included).
One tank? That sounds painful.

Why did you guys decide to single-tank it? Was it because you couldn't find a suitable replacement so you opted to try it out regardless? Even with Allagan weapons, that sounds like it would make things more difficult than they need to be. >_<

Congrats on killing the snake, though!

omlet

Why did you guys decide to single-tank it? Was it because you couldn't find a suitable replacement so you opted to try it out regardless? Even with Allagan weapons, that sounds like it would make things more difficult than they need to be. >_<

Congrats on killing the snake, though!

I've done T5 several times each with 2 PLD w/4DPS, 1 PLD w/5DPS, and with PLD MT and WAR as DPS/debuffing/just-in-case off-tank not using threat combos w/4DPS. Once your MT knows when to use what cooldowns and your healers know when to be ready for damage spikes, doing it with 1 tank actually makes the fight really easy. At least for my group it's been that way. Basically, if you can heal through Death Sentence at the start of the fight without tank swapping, you can one-tank the whole fight which means more DPS to make conflags and snakes and dreadknights all die faster.

Past 2 weeks we've been doing it with 1PLD and 1WAR but the WAR doesn't tank, he wears STR accessories and does DPS and keeps damage debuff on Twintania. PLD WAR MNK DRG BLM BLM WHM SCH.

BadRNG

NoI'm not sure whether to jump straight into working towards Darklight/Relic, or to start levelling up another class (DPS this time) to have more practice with dungeons before I go through as my PLD main class. Being the only one who doesn't know a dungeon sucks a whole lot more when you're a tank - and even though I'll need to relearn bosses from a tank perspective, at least being familiar with the move pattern and things to watch out for will be a huge boost. Any thoughts? (I know there are lots of people who don't mind helping new tanks, but it frustrates me more than anything when I make mistakes due to not knowing the fights.)
Vast majority of fights are really easy to pick up as tank, and the ones that aren't generally can't be learned from a DPS point of view. If it really bugs you watch a video or something of the instance before doing it.

I wouldn't really worry too much about making mistakes. No matter how much prep work you do eventually something will go wrong somewhere, just learn from it and move on. I'd be more frustrated when I make a mistake when I do know the fight.

One tank method would make every phase much easier except the tank damage during snakes, and even that wouldn't be that bad depending on snake method. Using ours for example would mean tank would only ever have three snakes at most, which is something we actually did a few times, and that was with heals being split.

Definitely not the greatest learning strat since both healers/tank would need to get every part perfect, but it's no wonder it's becoming more and more popular method as so many people are getting her down.

Stuart444

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/02/11/final-fantasy-14-ps4-beta-details-revealed

As previously announced, the first beta starts on February 22 and ends on March 3. During this session, players will not be able to import characters and all created characters will be wiped once the beta ends.

During the second beta, however, players will be allowed to use their PS3 or PC characters and any new characters that are created will carry over to the full game. Players can access this beta on April 4.

chrono01

I've done T5 several times each with 2 PLD w/4DPS, 1 PLD w/5DPS, and with PLD MT and WAR as DPS/debuffing/just-in-case off-tank not using threat combos w/4DPS. Once your MT knows when to use what cooldowns and your healers know when to be ready for damage spikes, doing it with 1 tank actually makes the fight really easy. At least for my group it's been that way. Basically, if you can heal through Death Sentence at the start of the fight without tank swapping, you can one-tank the whole fight which means more DPS to make conflags and snakes and dreadknights all die faster.

Past 2 weeks we've been doing it with 1PLD and 1WAR but the WAR doesn't tank, he wears STR accessories and does DPS and keeps damage debuff on Twintania. PLD WAR MNK DRG BLM BLM WHM SCH.

One tank method would make every phase much easier except the tank damage during snakes, and even that wouldn't be that bad depending on snake method. Using ours for example would mean tank would only ever have three snakes at most, which is something we actually did a few times, and that was with heals being split.

Definitely not the greatest learning strat since both healers/tank would need to get every part perfect, but it's no wonder it's becoming more and more popular method as so many people are getting her down.
True enough.

I don't tank in this game, since I much prefer dealing damage rather than absorbing it, so I guess I can't really say what would/wouldn't make something more easy or difficult. I trust to my armored allies to shield me from harm, or rather, as much as they possibly can. Thankfully, they do a great job at doing that.

It will be interesting to see how the current strategies evolve as people become more geared, though.

Vitanimus

Spent a large majority of the day hoping I'd get an email back from SE support about removing the software token from my account.. only to be told it can't be resolved by email and only through chat support or phone. ;_; I feel like I should've anticipated this. The longer I wait, the more I wanna dive back into Eorzea. :-(

True enough.

I don't tank in this game, since I much prefer dealing damage rather than absorbing it, so I guess I can't really say what would/wouldn't make something more easy or difficult. I trust to my armored allies to shield me from harm, or rather, as much as they possibly can. Thankfully, they do a great job at doing that.

It will be interesting to see how the current strategies evolve as people become more geared, though.

Level something other than BLM, like SMN! Or go healer.

WolvenOne

Okay, worked out out. I'll be cutting it close but I should be able to make it. So, no need to go looking for an alt.

PS: I should really write down the emails of one of my coil members. I really should be contacting them more directly when it comes to stuff like this. XD

Tabris

Seems kind of backwards to require i70 to do dungeons for i60 gear.

Have you tried to do Haukke Manor HM with 2 i50/i55 DPS? The first and third bosses are too much of a DPS check.

The gear reward vs difficulty is too high. I believe SE intended the i60 gear reward to be for other jobs you are levelling and the myth reward is what is balanced against the difficulty.

MogCakes

Have you tried to do Haukke Manor HM with 2 i50/i55 DPS? The first and third bosses are too much of a DPS check.

The gear reward vs difficulty is too high. I believe SE intended the i60 gear reward to be for other jobs you are levelling and the myth reward is what is balanced against the difficulty.

Oy! I did pretty well as an i55 DPS in Haukke HM. Only died because of the bomb during a resurrection. It isn't that hard.

Tabris

Oy! I did pretty well as an i55 DPS in Haukke HM. Only died because of the bomb during a resurrection. It isn't that hard.

That is most likely because the other DPS was an i80+ DPS. And bomb?

You have a timer on the final boss that if you can't kill in time, she takes a member, cleaves him/her, and blood rains for wipe.

I have done it multiple times where if the DPS is geared too low together, then you cannot beat the final boss.

MogCakes

That is most likely because the other DPS was an i80+ DPS. And bomb?

You have a timer on the final boss that if you can't kill in time, she takes a member, cleaves him/her, and blood rains for wipe.

I have done it multiple times where if the DPS is geared too low together, then you cannot beat the final boss.

The other DPS was an i60. We did fine. We wiped once since the healer died and I died just as the Res went off, and he died again shortly after. The final add was no problem.

BadRNG

Yes, and have done so successfully. You practically need a LB (melee on last add or magic on second set, depending on group make up), but it's more than doabale.

People used to over exaggerate AK's pre-nerf difficulty too, yet fresh i40 something 50 could still do it just fine.

Alucrid

Banned
Yes, and have done so successfully. You practically need a LB (melee on last add or magic on second set, depending on group make up), but it's more than doabale.

People used to over exaggerate AK's pre-nerf difficulty too, yet fresh i40 something 50 could still do it just fine.

Yep. First AK I ever did was in full AF and with a Ifrit Harpoon.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So just finished the Hildibrand quest chain.

That is easily one of the best quest chains in any game I've played. So good. And the tease of
Gilgamesh
at the end?

<3

chrono01

Then why do you fight it?? You know what job you must play next.
I fight because I must.

Also, because I know full-well that if I ever did create and level a healing class that the game would then refuse to give me any loot for it. It's as though the game itself is self-aware, and knows what I desire most.

Actually, to be honest, this last week or so I've gotten around 3 drops for my BLM, so I cannot complain. Of course, that was after months of nothing [aside from Primal drops], but even still, progress is progress!

Got my Allagan battleaxe tonight ^^
obOI7UY.jpg

I fight because I must.

Also, because I know full-well that if I ever did create and level a healing class that the game would then refuse to give me any loot for it. It's as though the game itself is self-aware, and knows what I desire most.

Actually, to be honest, this last week or so I've gotten around 3 drops for my BLM, so I cannot complain. Of course, that was after months of nothing [aside from Primal drops], but even still, progress is progress!

It's like I have to give you a swift kick each time for being a debbie downer like that. You're lucky I'm a female kitty and not a Roe like Bara. But become a healer, healing can be very fun. And stressful but at least you won't be bored. Usually.

On another note, perhaps it's just I haven't done the dungeons for a long time on a healing job other than level 50 WHM but are all of the new tanks like extra squishy? I can barely switch over to help dps because they take so much damage so quickly...=/

I'm not sure what you mean in this case about Death Sentence and tank-swapping in T5?

Got my Allagan battleaxe tonight ^^

Honestly that thing is kind of ugly compared to the Dual Haken. I saw it in Rev Toll the other day and my first thought was that it doesn't even look like an axe!

omlet

Probably means uh, tank-swapping since the OT usually doesn't have to use their cooldowns for much?

Right. If tank-not-currently-tanking taunts during DS, Twin will turn to them after it hits and not hit the tank-who-was-just-hit-with-DS with a plummet, or anything, meaning chances of unlucky DS+plummet+crit killing tank go way down and healers don't have to heal through the debuff. This is how our group learned the fight before 2.1 and it worked really well for us until our group was geared enough to not sweat 1tanking it.

chrono01

It's like I have to give you a swift kick each time for being a debbie downer like that. You're lucky I'm a female kitty and not a Roe like Bara. But become a healer, healing can be very fun. And stressful but at least you won't be bored. Usually.

On another note, perhaps it's just I haven't done the dungeons for a long time on a healing job other than level 50 WHM but are all of the new tanks like extra squishy? I can barely switch over to help dps because they take so much damage so quickly...=/
Haha, I might seem kind of negative about it here on the forums, but I'm generally the complete opposite in-game.

Actually, my positivity has been known to curse whatever group I'm in, so I tend to hold back my "good feelings", but sometimes I cannot...

Tabris

I've been getting error 2002 for last 30 minutes after I disconnected from the game. Anyone else having issues?

EDIT - From what I've been reading, 2002 seems to be SE's way of throttling logins.

Haha, I might seem kind of negative about it here on the forums, but I'm generally the complete opposite in-game.

Actually, my positivity has been known to curse whatever group I'm in, so I tend to hold back my "good feelings", but sometimes I cannot...

Well get out all your "positivity" out now, so when the next coil turns are introduced we don't have to yell at you for them. (Granted if you do this, I can't blame you for all my mistakes so just keep doing what you have been.)

Aeana

Every time I run CT people take it to the back. Is it really safer to keep it in the center?

If you tank it in the center, then the melee DPS don't have to run through the poison to damage the skeletons as they run toward the dragon. The encounter is very obviously designed for the dragon to be in the center and the skeletons taken out radially.

MogCakes

If you tank it in the center, then the melee DPS don't have to run through the poison to damage the skeletons as they run toward the dragon. The encounter is very obviously designed for the dragon to be in the center and the skeletons taken out radially.

It all makes sense now.

But most tanks don't do it because there would be mass drama as everyone goes nuts and the other tanks try to steal aggro from you and drag it to the north.

CT knows drama.

Tabris

I had a couple tanks try and drag Archeron to the edge on me.

I'm still locked out by error 2002. I can connect to japanese data centres without issue, but it's kicking me from lobby every time I try to join an NA/EU data centre. Any advice?

Infinitydragon

Neo Member

Please be more negative, its the only time we can actually clear any content.

You can be as positive as you want to be when you are doing stuff with another group, just make sure that when you join us that all the positivity is gone and you are as negative as you can be.

chrono01

Well get out all your "positivity" out now, so when the next coil turns are introduced we don't have to yell at you for them. (Granted if you do this, I can't blame you for all my mistakes so just keep doing what you have been.)

Please be more negative, its the only time we can actually clear any content.

You can be as positive as you want to be when you are doing stuff with another group, just make sure that when you join us that all the positivity is gone and you are as negative as you can be.
Very well, I will [try] to do as you wish.

However, if you experience sudden "positive" outbursts from me, do not say you weren't warned. Even I must admit that my...predictions are more than often inaccurate. Could the reason I predict, and thusly share among the group, my feeling of success be contributed to our failure? I cannot be sure, however past experiences have not been so kind...

Very well, I will [try] to do as you wish.

However, if you experience sudden "positive" outbursts from me, do not say you weren't warned. Even I must admit that my...predictions are more than often inaccurate. Could the reason I predict, and thusly share among the group, my feeling of success be contributed to our failure? I cannot be sure, however past experiences have not been so kind...

again, just blame bookey. He's the cause of all wipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom