• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

omlet

Gil inflation is a real problem for new characters on legacy servers.

Not really.

Prices on gear mats and consumables are really low on legacy servers; sure that makes it hard to make a fortune but on the flip side you don't need much money for anything. The game feeds you gear (and gil) as you level and by running CT a few times a week, you'll have a full set of darklight/CT/myth mixture in no time and be ready to jump into higher tier content.

At launch I could agree more with the argument for avoiding legacy servers as a new player, but the situation now for all servers is exactly what it was then for legacy servers--there are established playerbases and economies on all servers and inflation is a problem for every server because we're on the townslope of 2.0-2.1's content lifespan. If anything, I'd guess that the rate of inflation is probably worse on some new servers because people started without money brought over from 1.x, meaning more incentive to get money in circulation via quests/levequests/etc.

I have not spent a single gil on anything besides a few teleports and gear repairs since before 2.1. There's nothing for me to spend money on until personal housing.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Not really.

Prices on gear mats and consumables are really low on legacy servers; sure that makes it hard to make a fortune but on the flip side you don't need much money for anything. The game feeds you gear (and gil) as you level and by running CT a few times a week, you'll have a full set of darklight/CT/myth mixture in no time and be ready to jump into higher tier content.

At launch I could agree more with the argument for avoiding legacy servers as a new player, but the situation now for all servers is exactly what it was then for legacy servers--there are established playerbases and economies on all servers and inflation is a problem for every server because we're on the townslope of 2.0-2.1's content lifespan. If anything, I'd guess that the rate of inflation is probably worse on some new servers because people started without money brought over from 1.x, meaning more incentive to get money in circulation via quests/levequests/etc.

I have not spent a single gil on anything besides a few teleports and gear repairs since before 2.1. There's nothing for me to spend money on until personal housing.

You just won't get a large house anytime soon on a legacy server. That shit is super expensive. Personal housing will likely be impacted as well.

BLCKATK

You just won't get a large house anytime soon on a legacy server. That shit is super expensive. Personal housing will likely be impacted as well.

At this point its in affordable ranges. A Large FC that actually had 40+ active members could easily hit some of the prices if they worked at it. Some houses on my server are 68 mil at this point.

Used my phial of Fantasia earlier this week. Disliked what I had done by the next day. :|

I saved a new appearance I actually like and will use that...whenever a GM gets back to me about restoring my Fantasia (who knows when that'll be?). So, until then, I'll be taking a break from playing (I haaate playing with this blegh appearance of my character).

Used my phial of Fantasia earlier this week. Disliked what I had done by the next day. :|

I saved a new appearance I actually like and will use that...whenever a GM gets back to me about restoring my Fantasia (who knows when that'll be?).

Someone in the Ultros gaf FC did this and he waited a couple days for his tail to get cut off so you should be good soon.

Resilient

I'm thinking of resubbing after taking the last month or so off for break. Is the GAF FC now full in Ultros? Have I been kicked out due to inactivity (Axel October)? Is Prellis Vilmont still around or has he bailed :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
titanlol.png

Oh.

I'm thinking of resubbing after taking the last month or so off for break. Is the GAF FC now full in Ultros? Have I been kicked out due to inactivity (Axel October)? Is Prellis Vilmont still around or has he bailed :(

Last I checked you were still in there but I haven't see much of Aussie Ultros Gaf as of late.

And I gotta say, single healing HM Titan for most of the post heart phase is the most terrifying BUT exciting experiences I've ever had. I felt bad for the SCH in the party who got killed by something (Probably plumes) and yet since Raise is so costly on mp, I was afraid I couldn't spare it, especially when I had to alternate between keeping the tank alive after Mountain Buster and then spamming Medica/Medica 2 a couple times to keep me and the other dps who had survived, alive. Times like these are why I understand why healers love having a SMN in the group.

Caffeine

thinking about buying this game for pc i haven't decided yet waiting on money first. I heard it was supposed to be heading to steam as well i wouldn't mind it being 285th game has anyone heard of any steam releated news ?

Just started playing as an Arcanist on Ultros. Pretty cool game so far, I like even though it's just another MMORPG, it still has the look and feel of a Final Fantasy game.

Haven't figured out FC's yet, how do invites work?

Tabris

Hey, is there anyone here from Ultros GAF interested in doing guildhests as a static until we get the trophy?

The DF takes too long and I've only done each once.

We can just do the easiest one over and over. Gain some quick exp and gil.

I think the first one only takes 5-10 minutes. Just do that for a couple hours.

Khatoz

Just started playing as an Arcanist on Ultros. Pretty cool game so far, I like even though it's just another MMORPG, it still has the look and feel of a Final Fantasy game.

Haven't figured out FC's yet, how do invites work?

Not really.

Actually on Ultros the problem is gil deflation, prices have been plummeting these months and the oportunity to make a good amount of gil is really limited as there isn't many items that can generate a good profit gain and the risk of those items crashing in a spawn of 24 hours or less is really high.

Vitanimus

Relic Get!!!!!

:D

Congrats!

Got a new keyboard and mouse and they're so goooood. ;_; Still trying to get used to my controller layout and using R1 to switch. Anyone else using a DS4 and having the occasional problem pressing R1 to switch between tabs ingame? Sometimes it doesn't really work and I have to use the mouse for stuff like the inventory because the DS4 isn't playing nice.

Stuart444

Hey, is there anyone here from Ultros GAF interested in doing guildhests as a static until we get the trophy?

The DF takes too long and I've only done each once.

We can just do the easiest one over and over. Gain some quick exp and gil.

I think the first one only takes 5-10 minutes. Just do that for a couple hours.

The second GH is better, just single target kill the large enemy while ignoring the adds. Easy as anything.

Or if you want slightly more skills, the level 15 turtle one is also easy and more fun than the first level 10 guildhest.

I do guildhest roulette a lot to level up whatever I'm leveling myself. Doesn't take too long via DF personally. 10 minutes is the max I have waited on DPS classes.

Anyone else using a DS4 and having the occasional problem pressing R1 to switch between tabs ingame? Sometimes it doesn't really work and I have to use the mouse for stuff like the inventory because the DS4 isn't playing nice.

Might be a bluetooth problem? I'm using a DS4 with the ScpServer tool and it's been flawless wired AND wireless, unless I'm out of range or my Bluetooth adapter.

Vitanimus

Might be a bluetooth problem? I'm using a DS4 with the ScpServer tool and it's been flawless wired AND wireless, unless I'm out of range or my Bluetooth adapter.

I figured it out, turns out with ScpServer that when you have the touchpad enabled, R1 doubles as right click as well which is why it would pull me out of menus constantly. Disabling the touchpad has cleared all my problems now.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
There are new yoshida inteviews (text) around?

I'm typing mine out as we speak... unfortunately we got paired with a second outlet who asked some really bland questions so I will have to email the rest of GAF's hardcore questions ><

Number45

Is it feasible to just pick this up and play, at least for a while? I'm more than happy to delve into the mechanics but I thought it would be quite nice at least initially to just play and see where it takes me.

I assume I can't make any stupid decisions while levelling that I won't be able to rectify / respec out of?

I assume I can't make any stupid decisions while levelling that I won't be able to rectify / respec out of?
The only thing you can decide on your character is a few bonus points that you gain while levelling, which are pretty much just dumped on your main stat and fairly cheap to respec.

omlet

Actually on Ultros the problem is gil deflation, prices have been plummeting these months and the oportunity to make a good amount of gil is really limited as there isn't many items that can generate a good profit gain and the risk of those items crashing in a spawn of 24 hours or less is really high.

Inflation and dropping demand are two different things.

Inflation happens any time the game gives money to a player; any time you kill an enemy that drops gil, any time you do a roulette, any time you sell something to an NPC, any time you turn in a levequest, etc. The only way noticeable deflation could be happening is if the server at large was dumping more money out of circulation (gear repairs, buying houses, buying things from NPCs) than it was bringing in. Sure, housing took millions out of circulation, but enough to cause deflation such that could be felt across the whole server economy? Only SE has those numbers, but I doubt it.

The plummeting prices since 2.1 (and even before, but especially after) are simply a result of supply and demand:

* CT has no lockout and gives lots of tomestones and loot better than DL -> philosophy mats market hits rock bottom

* Cause food buffs to last through death -> food market demand plummets

* Lots of people gathering (especially since they added treasure maps) but not much to use all that stuff on (besides housing, but FCs with houses are probably not buying stuff like that with cash, they're collecting it themselves) -> low prices across the board on DoL items

* More self-sufficient (DoH/DoL) players now -> additional drop in demand for gathered and crafted items

I bet there are millions of gil sitting in people's pockets/retainers on Ultros just like on other servers.

This happens in MMOs all the time near the end of the lifespan of a chunk of content. It's designed to happen like this. Economy should get busy again with the expansion.

kaioshade

Ok, i need some help. I started the wonderful world of tanking, and did tam-tara last night. I dont know what i was doing wrong, but i was finding it incredibly hard to keep aggro off of my teammates.

I opened with shield Lob, immediately used flash, then fast blade -> savage blade. The monk immediately rips it off of me. I try using shield lob and blade combo again but i could not get aggro to stick. I marked targets, they were ignored, scholar runs in pulling mobs so im desperately trying to flash and shield lob enemies back to me. before i know it im out of mp so cannot flash, dont want to use riot blade to regain mp due to enmity, trying to stick to savage blade.

Any tips to maintain aggro would be greatly appreciated.

Alucrid

Banned
Inflation and dropping demand are two different things.

Inflation happens any time the game gives money to a player; any time you kill an enemy that drops gil, any time you do a roulette, any time you sell something to an NPC, any time you turn in a levequest, etc. The only way noticeable deflation could be happening is if the server at large was dumping more money out of circulation (gear repairs, buying houses, buying things from NPCs) than it was bringing in. Sure, housing took millions out of circulation, but enough to cause deflation such that could be felt across the whole server economy? Only SE has those numbers, but I doubt it.

The plummeting prices since 2.1 (and even before, but especially after) are simply a result of supply and demand:

* CT has no lockout and gives lots of tomestones and loot better than DL -> philosophy mats market hits rock bottom

* Cause food buffs to last through death -> food market demand plummets

* Lots of people gathering (especially since they added treasure maps) but not much to use all that stuff on (besides housing, but FCs with houses are probably not buying stuff like that with cash, they're collecting it themselves) -> low prices across the board on DoL items

* More self-sufficient (DoH/DoL) players now -> additional drop in demand for gathered and crafted items

I bet there are millions of gil sitting in people's pockets/retainers on Ultros just like on other servers.

This happens in MMOs all the time near the end of the lifespan of a chunk of content. It's designed to happen like this. Economy should get busy again with the expansion.

He said deflation. Deflation is caused by a drop in demand, which results in a drop in the price level for goods and services, which is deflation.

omlet

Ok, i need some help. I started the wonderful world of tanking, and did tam-tara last night. I dont know what i was doing wrong, but i was finding it incredibly hard to keep aggro off of my teammates.

I opened with shield Lob, immediately used flash, then fast blade -> savage blade. The monk immediately rips it off of me. I try using shield lob and blade combo again but i could not get aggro to stick. I marked targets, they were ignored, scholar runs in pulling mobs so im desperately trying to flash and shield lob enemies back to me. before i know it im out of mp so cannot flash, dont want to use riot blade to regain mp due to enmity, trying to stick to savage blade.

Any tips to maintain aggro would be greatly appreciated.

It's tough at low level especially if you're not at the level cap for the dungeon and the DPS know how to play. I suggest you flash at least 2-3 times on the pull. I know it causes the mob to become immune to Blind quicker this way, but at low level that doesn't much and it will give you a good amount of threat on the whole pack. Use shield lob sparingly; it does generate a fair amount of threat but it eats TP quickly and it doesn't combo with anything--if something is running a few steps away, just chase it with a sword combo. I sometimes see low level GLDs spamming shield lob and that's not a good thing to be doing.

The other thing is that in dungeons up until around level 30+ DPS can quite easily facetank mobs if the healer is paying attention. The first 3 dungeons especially are face-roll mode and many people doing them are doing low level roulette and definitely are not going be approaching the run like they did the first few times they were in there. For example, I did a copperbell mines run the other day on my alt's LNC and the tank was so terrible that after trying to give him some tips that were ignored we got frustrated at him and he just bailed before slime boss--we very easily 3-manned the rest of the dungeon up until the final boss.

He said deflation. Deflation is caused by a drop in demand, which results in a drop in the price level for goods and services, which is deflation.

Oh, hey, so he did.. That's what I get for posting before I finish breakfast... :D

Also, did you get your spear from twin yet? We just got our third monk weapon this week (lol :\) but we haven't seen a spear yet...

Aeana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom