• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

So, what do you guys do, when you've hit a brick wall, and your so emotionally invested in getting past it that you can't even play consistently anymore?

Take a break, maybe?

chrono01

again, just blame bookey. He's the cause of all wipes.
Freakin' Bookey! He tanks Liquid Hell and LB's. Nothing stops him!
So, what do you guys do, when you've hit a brick wall, and your so emotionally invested in getting past it that you can't even play consistently anymore?

Take a break, maybe?
If you're so focused on beating a particular encounter that your gameplay/skill is suffering, definitely take a break. Forcing yourself through it isn't viable for yourself, or the group you're with.

That's why people recommend, if you're trying to beat a piece of content new to you, that taking a break after each lock-out/reset is a good idea. It's allows the player to get a brief respite to grab a drink, refresh their body/mind, etc.

Just take a break for a few days and then come back. I'm sure you'll feel better about it then.

So Makoto is the punching bag of the group.
"Damn it, Makoto!"

If you don't have that macro'd to a key by now, you're doing it wrong!

WolvenOne

Freakin' Bookey! He tanks Liquid Hell and LB's. Nothing stops him!

If you're so focused on beating a particular encounter that your gameplay/skill is suffering, definitely take a break. Forcing yourself through it isn't viable for yourself, or the group you're with.

That's why people recommend, if you're trying to beat a piece of content new to you, that taking a break after each lock-out/reset is a good idea. It's allows the player to get a brief respite to grab a drink, refresh their body/mind, etc.

Just take a break for a few days and then come back. I'm sure you'll feel better about it then.

Yeah, I'll take a break for a day at least. I've spent over a week in Titan, hardly ever making mistakes and seeing groups die around me.

Then tonight I finally get a decent group, and suddenly I'm playing horribly. So it probably does make sense to take a break.

Honestly that thing is kind of ugly compared to the Dual Haken. I saw it in Rev Toll the other day and my first thought was that it doesn't even look like an axe!

Dual Haken is overly big and cartoony. Sure the colors are odd on the allagan one, but it looks more like their boss as fuck AF.

SE agrees on the proper place to tank Bone Dragon, taken from the new PS4 trailer.

There was also a time when they thought War was balanced, and that 1.0 was a game worth paying for.

SE agrees on the proper place to tank Bone Dragon, taken from the new PS4 trailer.

ff14trailerbdmiddle.png

8mm1ex7.gif

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Don't ruin this for me.

They also showed during the trailer the KB fight in CT, tanking it in the middle and towards the party, everyone nonchalantly eats Elliptical Meteor...

Yeah SE is very based to it's own GODDAMN Positioning

Sorry Aeana, I rather survive than follow SE's logic of positioning

frequency

In previous MMORPGs there were raid encounters we would try every week for MONTHS. It's not that unusual to be stuck on something and you shouldn't let it get to you. It's kind of just how the genre is.

The key is just enjoying the ride and socializing rather than focusing too much on beating things as your primary objective of playing the game. Or being in an awesome group I guess.

Aeana

They also showed during the trailer the KB fight in CT, tanking it in the middle and towards the party, everyone nonchalantly eats Elliptical Meteor...

Yeah SE is very based to it's own GODDAMN Positioning

Sorry Aeana, I rather survive than follow SE's logic of positioning

Tanking bone dragon at the north does not increase your odds of survival, nor does it make the fight easier. Think for yourself.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Tanking bone dragon at the north does not increase your odds of survival, nor does it make the fight easier. Think for yourself.

I'd rather just get it done any way possible

Do you really think 23 other people are going to listen and change tactics just cause SE showed/designed it this way

People take it North cause for most of them it feels safer
As I said before, when they give you the option to 24 man CT, you can do an all GAF run and tank it the center and be happy

Your not going to change the community mindset

Once it becomes a tactic and people think it's a safe approach, they'll keep doing it, asking them to adjust just cause it somehow makes you feel that they are doing it wrong isn't going to change shit

Go tank CT, then say I'm MT and tank that dragon there, bet you any money people will bitch & moan or better yet steal aggro from you, take it to the usual place, then ask your party for you to be removed

I like tanking the last boss in AK the opposite way, most do it where they can catch the tail swipe when add pops NW, I completely 180 it, that way the tail swipe goes out of bounds (ass/tail is by where usually you tank, near the flame/rubble), but people go WTF!, I don't know this strategy, why did you turn it around
Once they say it's just helping out, they understand, continue, but that 3 people to deal with, and 100% of the time I'm the tank, w/o me = no win
Try that with 23, see the results

Nothing like overthinking an easy battle because some ppl can't follow/don't care some easy mechanics.

What is safer exactly? If you link 2 skeletons? they likely will reach bone dragon anyway, if you kill one in the first/second tile?, you can still kill it fast enough as long it has heavy debuff, I have yet to see a skeleton popping and going to the dragon without even getting an initial healer hate.

North makes fight even harder for melee DPS and not any easier for any of the other jobs. Is a solution for a problem it shouldn't exist in the first place.

I'll never ever understand it. Luckily I never see that shit on my CT runs.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Sure it does. It drastically reduces the likelihood of tanks pulling it off you and attempting to move it to the north where the vast majority of Ultros is comfortable tanking it.

Valus

I've ran CT so many times and I've never seen it pulled north. Like, never. When I tank it I tank it mid and no one complains or tries to take agro from me or anything. I think GAF is in a twilight zone.

I do tank KB west though cuz of IG spawns.

Aeana

I've ran CT so many times and I've never seen it pulled north. Like, never. When I tank it I tank it mid and no one complains or tries to take agro from me or anything. I think GAF is in a twilight zone.

Yeah, I've heard that most other server groups tank it in the middle.
I guess they're doing it the hard way am i rite lol.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Are you on Ultros (or our server group)? I usually don't run with a GAF group when I do CT and have only seen in tanked in the middle twice. Once of those times led to a wipe and the party then tanked it in the north successfully.

aceface

On Ultros the only time I've seen it tanked in the center was a full GAF run. Every other time it was tanked north. Tanking it north is only annoying to me cause as a healer to heal the MT I have to stand in the tile just below the dragon and everyone and their brother is on that tile. Bad news if it gets hit with an AOE. But I don't think I've ever seen my alliance wipe on Bone Dragon so it hasn't really been an issue.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Just finished CT for the first time. Maybe I was lucky and got a good alliance, but it was smooth sailing the whole way. Had someone in our party trolling trying to votekick tanks and healers, but besides that it was good.

Also nabbed myself the Crimson Vest, which is not only a huge upgrade over my AF, but I also wanted it for vanity in 2.2 so win-win.

kierwynn

Sure it does. It drastically reduces the likelihood of tanks pulling it off you and attempting to move it to the north where the vast majority of Ultros is comfortable tanking it.

That's more the fault of people being set in their ways and unable to comprehend that maybe there is a better way than tanking in the middle being bad. Just because everyone does it doesn't mean it's the best or even a good way to do it. It's highly inefficient and kind of a pain since people have to run through the poison and everyone stands in the same spot and get hit by the same aoes. Now, is it easier to do it there rather than fight with people? Sure, but it's kind of silly to defend it as being a good strategy when it really isn't. Does it work? Yes, which is what really matters in the end, but it's far from good.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Doesn't matter anymore. It's been what? Eight weeks? Where it's tanked isn't going to change now

Yeah, nobody is going to teach the entire server group a slightly more optimal method of tanking. People just want to get their loot and get out of that place. It isn't going to change.

Seik

Banned
So, guys, I'm almost level 18 now. I registered and joined the guild's forum. (Gather Against Fate - Ultros)

My problem: How do I join the guild in the game? I'm unable to select anything like 'free company' in the menus yet...I'm lost. D:

Aeana

So, guys, I'm almost level 18 now. I registered and joined the guild's forum. (Gather Against Fate - Ultros)

My problem: How do I join the guild in the game? I'm unable to select anything like 'free company' in the menus yet...I'm lost. D:

You need to send a /tell to one of the leaders to get an invitation. Try one of the following:

Maple Cookie
Strawberry Shortcake
Safflower Amariyo
Tiv Einsfell (me)
Mira Mora
Elliott Kirkland
Guy Incognito
Remiel Cathetel
Renault Cathetel

Any of these people can invite you to the free company.

Stuart444

Never have I seen the Bone Dragon tanked in the middle. Once I saw it tanked to the right side of the entrance and the rest to the North.

Keep in mind, DF is cross-server so it's not an Ultros thing. I saw people from Diabolos just yesterday tank it up North for instance.

After seeing the center tanking stuff mentioned here the other week, I have been wondering each CT run "I wonder if this person/group will tank it in the center this time".

but still not seen it.

omlet

Bone Dragon tanking stuff is weird. I've ran CT 50+ times, and I've never seen anyone talk about or attempt to take him north.

Same here, taking out of of center sounds pretty silly to me.

Maybe it's a different datacenter cluster thing. I pug CT a lot each week to round out myth, on two characters, as tank, DPS, or healer depending on my mood, and it's always tanked in the center (facing north, typically) because that's where it's easiest for everyone to reach everything with minimal travel time (healers to reach everyone, OTs to grab skeles, etc.) and gives the largest platform for mDPS to stand on.

MogCakes

All CT runs I've had so far have been north tanking. I've learned to position myself at the corner of one of the squares off to the left of that area and just spam DoTs/Shadow Flare/Fester and my DPS/pet skills over and over.

PowerTaxi

Banned
It's about 60/40 in favour of north tanking for me. Also, it doesn't matter where it is because two adds will always on the same platform(in my experiences). This, without fail leads to 9 of the DPS killing the slow moving ones on the opposite side while the other two and I try to nuke down the Usain Bolts.

Only time I've seen it tanked in the middle was an all GAF run where the tank wasn't actually SBing that day. Otherwise, they take it to the north.

Lately though, the last CT runs I've been in are so bad, I just want to avoid the place altogether.

Seik

Banned
You need to send a /tell to one of the leaders to get an invitation. Try one of the following:

Maple Cookie
Strawberry Shortcake
Safflower Amariyo
Tiv Einsfell (me)
Mira Mora
Elliott Kirkland
Guy Incognito
Remiel Cathetel
Renault Cathetel

Any of these people can invite you to the free company.

Thanks, Aeana! :D

I'll send one directly to you later today, when I'll be back from work.

WolvenOne

Only time I've seen it tanked in the middle was an all GAF run where the tank wasn't actually SBing that day. Otherwise, they take it to the north.

Lately though, the last CT runs I've been in are so bad, I just want to avoid the place altogether.

Last couple of runs I ended up doing a lot of the organization and communication between various alliances. That's, its own kind of fun I suppose. In each case though it was in response to the various alliances not working well together, which is a good large source of the various bads you see in CT.

The remaining source being, players not knowing the mechanics and not asking, or, players just goofing or trolling. Unfortunately you can only do so much to mitigate trolling.

Vitanimus

Got my account back up and running, was super nice to resub, although I was completely thrown on how lost I was. Decided to use a controller for the first time too, so getting used to the controls is taking a bit of time, so I'm leveling CNJ from level 1 and giving my level 36 SMN a break until I get to grips with everything.

Will send a /tell to see if there's room in the Ultros guild to get reinvited. :)

on chaos cluster it's always north. i've only seen it tanked in the middle near launch once, which alerted the children.

personally i don't care where. play and shout your mouth. that seems to be the best course for this community.

Authority

Banned
I urgently need your help.

I am trying to select a new server [this is my first time in the game], the most populated one if possible. I have come down to Cerberus and Ragnarok, however what is the difference between Legacy and Non-Legacy?

I urgently need your help.

I am trying to select a new server [this is my first time in the game], the most populated one if possible. I have come down to Cerberus and Ragnarok, however what is the difference between Legacy and Non-Legacy?

Legacy is mostly full of people that transferred characters from 1.0 to the current version.

If you have no friends on legacy servers then you definitely want to join a non-legacy server.

Authority

Banned
Legacy is mostly full of people that transferred characters from 1.0 to the current version.

If you have no friends on legacy servers then you definitely want to join a non-legacy server.

But the legacy server has got the most "hardcore" crowd right? Because at the end of the day I am looking to be in a very competitive environment.

But the legacy server has got the most "hardcore" crowd right? Because at the end of the day I am looking to be in a very competitive environment.

Not really. I'd say it depends of each server culture than rather being a legacy/new server thing. I remember that in the first months non-legacy servers were always the first one beating Bahamut turns (harder content in the game right now).

And I'd say there's still a quite number of new ppl on legacy servers, so that's not a problem neither. There's this lie thar or you have friends on legacy servers or you should go to a new one....that's bullshit. It was months ago and is still right now.

Not really. I'd say it depends of each server culture than rather being a legacy/new server thing. I remember that in the first months non-legacy servers were always the first one beating Bahamut turns (harder content in the game right now).

And I'd say there's still a quite number of new ppl on legacy servers, so that's not a problem neither. There's this lie thar or you have friends on legacy servers or you should go to a new one....that's bullshit. It was months ago and is still right now.

Gil inflation is a real problem for new characters on legacy servers.

Wilsongt

I barely played 1.0 and I am on a legacy server. No problems, honestly. The game has been out for so long that a lot of people are already on a level playing field except for those people running coil. It makes it super difficult to get a newbie Coil/Ultima HM/EX Primal learning group established because everyone has mostly beaten them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom