• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenai

The thing that bugs me about their parser stance isn't really the "harrassing players for bad DPS" type deal, because while I disagree with that I can at least somewhat understand them not wanting the community so meter-focused that they shun classes over it.

What actually bothers me is that if there is a real problem, exaggerated or not (like WAR pre 2.1), we won't be able to use aggregate meters to display that. Things like WoL are pretty important for things like that in WoW and help add more objective numbers to a complaint when the community feels there might be a problem with the class, and if that isn't there and we have to leave the devs to come up to their own conclusions based one whatever...well, I'm not so sure that will turn out for the best down the line.

I think the class balance right now is decent enough though.

Caffeine

oh i completely forgot i even owned ff14 1.0 apparently i just resub and can get ARR for free ? sweet.

i saw this on gmg when i was going to purchase lol "Players that have the original release version of FINAL FANTASY XIV (V1.0) will not need to purchase FFXIV: ARR to continue playing on the PC."

Kenai

Is it feasible to just pick this up and play, at least for a while? I'm more than happy to delve into the mechanics but I thought it would be quite nice at least initially to just play and see where it takes me.

I assume I can't make any stupid decisions while levelling that I won't be able to rectify / respec out of?

Oh yea. The only thing you can't change is your name (and some major racial features post fantasia use). You might also want to be careful which serer you play on (Ultros has a lot of GAF on it). You class, you GC, your stat allocation, just about everything I can think of can change if you want it to.

The main thing you should focus on doing is the main story quest if you want something to keep track of, since a lot of content, ranging from your airship pass to your chocobo is locked behind it. Class quests are pretty important too once you find one you like.

Teknoman

Hmm honestly shouldnt people just...know to get better equipment in order to do more damage? Its not like enemies have elemental weaknesses or blunt/pierce/slash weaknesses...and yeah it does just seem like something that would mostly be used for kicking / complaining about whoever was doing .5 less damage than everyone else.

Or maybe i'm just being negative. Imo it doesnt seem that important when the game doesnt have that many damage types.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Hmm honestly shouldnt people just...know to get better equipment in order to do more damage? Its not like enemies have elemental weaknesses or blunt/pierce/slash weaknesses...and yeah it does just seem like something that would mostly be used for kicking / complaining about whoever was doing .5 less damage than everyone else.

Or maybe i'm just being negative. Imo it doesnt seem that important when the game doesnt have that many damage types.

Not everyone is going to play their class as well either. Seeing someone has lower dps can look and see if their rotation is sub-optimal and fix that. DPS isn't purely a gear thing.

I don't care for parsers but only because I am very hard on myself and seeing myself at the bottom out of the four, five or six damage dealers would either drive me up a wall and try to operate at a crazy high level or I would just hate myself. So I don't bother and just do my absolute best in a fight and be satisfied with whatever result comes out.

Teknoman

I don't care for parsers but only because I am very hard on myself and seeing myself at the bottom out of the four, five or six damage dealers would either drive me up a wall and try to operate at a crazy high level or I would just hate myself. So I don't bother and just do my absolute best in a fight and be satisfied with whatever result comes out.

Likewise. Even though i'm just a tank at the moment, eventually i'm leveling up a dps, and i'd probably react similarly.

Kenai

Likewise. Even though i'm just a tank at the moment, eventually i'm leveling up a dps, and i'd probably react similarly.

I'm not worried so much about in game parsing, but WoL requires that and can help you see how much uptime you have vs others regarding things like GL/CD usage as well as your effectiveness vs others (your class or otherwise) for improvement, which I really enjoy doing when I can.

This isn't just for DPS either.

I get the feeling we will be waiting for an expansion before we get new jobs. Playing Bravely Default makes me want more jobs badly. It's too bad that they will likely still be very rigidly defined and not allow much creativity or flexibility.

They have said before they want to add real support jobs but no one really knows when that might actually happen.

I have a question for Yoshi, if it's not too late:

Currently certain skills which are to be used for "emergency" situations and which are marked as Instant effect do not take effect instantly. This includes Hallowed Ground, Holmgang, and Benediction. These skills go through an animation on trigger before taking effect, which defeats the purpose of being used in "emergency" situations as the player has usually died before the skill actually takes effect despite being marked Instant. Many times the skill actually goes onto it's Cooldown timer, but no effect occurs and the player is dead. Are there any plans to fix this problem so Instant skills actually go into effect instantly instead of going on Cooldown and then doing nothing?

Sophia

I have a question for Yoshi, if it's not too late:

Currently certain skills which are to be used for "emergency" situations and which are marked as Instant effect do not take effect instantly. This includes Hallowed Ground, Holmgang, and Benediction. These skills go through an animation on trigger before taking effect, which defeats the purpose of being used in "emergency" situations as the player has usually died before the skill actually takes effect despite being marked Instant. Many times the skill actually goes onto it's Cooldown timer, but no effect occurs and the player is dead. Are there any plans to fix this problem so Instant skills actually go into effect instantly instead of going on Cooldown and then doing nothing?

This is the bane of my existence. How many times have I popped Hallowed Ground only for it to go on cooldown and not save my life? Ugh.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
This is the bane of my existence. How many times have I popped Hallowed Ground only for it to go on cooldown and not save my life? Ugh.

Sword Fist Pump with 0 Health..

Before I let my buffer be 500 HP to pop it, now < 1000 (hell if I see triple digits, it's popped)

Sophia

While we're at it, just fix the animation lock on virtually everything that's off the global cooldown. I hate having to play timing games when something goes wrong because of my guildmates.

Alex

If you play at all decently, that would never happen anyway. This game is utterly littered with DPS doing half and below what they should be doing, even accounting for a good amount of slack. That's why Duty Finder stuff can feel so terrible compared to a good guild run, because you don't have randoms in ilvl 80+ gear doing 100~ DPS. If they don't want people using parsers and instead want to focus on some magical manifestation of skill, like they say, then they need to remove all of the enrages and DPS checks and instead find other ways to challenge DPS because right now your output vs. survival, like every other traditional MMO, IS your skill.

Constructively calling a person out for doing half of their potential damage isn't elitist or mean or whatever, it's the DPS incantation of letting the tank die from lack of healing. People being jackasses about it is just people being jackasses in general, and unless you replace the player base with AI that isn't going to change! I'd be OK with a detailed personal parser and a threshold based wrapper for group play, but you can't just deny it altogether in this type of game.

MogCakes

If you play at all decently, that would never happen anyway. This game is utterly littered with DPS doing half and below what they should be doing, even accounting for a good amount of slack.

Wait really? That explains why I've fairly consistently done the most damage to Bone Dragon in CT runs. And my gear is shit.

BadRNG

If we could only autoattack that may work, but it's pretty hard to compare things like proper rotations without an overall picture of the damage being done by them. Potency is vague and only goes so far. There's also things like stat weights for individual classes, or even just the basics of how stats relate to things like crit/parry/etc rates. The basic in-game character sheet barely tells you anything.

All of that is just for the sake of self improvement. It doesn't begin to get into things like class balance or bugs. If one class is doing significantly more or less damage than all the other DPS that is a pretty big issue. If a proc is not activating appropriately that can be a big issue.

Yeah, some people may use it solely as an epeen meter, but people can do that with ilevels already. Any smart developer would embrace these kinds of things amongst their user base, in a lot of areas it's basically free testers. There's also the fact they can't really stop it, and this whole "First rule of Fight Club" stance just makes them look silly.

Even when people know someone who isn't up to snuff, too often I hear them say either dps or heals need to be better. How does that help anyone? Unless you can constructively point out what they are doing wrong, the person is only going to continue to do subpar.

Caffeine

and thus my journey begins and already moogles getting drunk

C6HoDwd.jpg

chrono01

damage meter should have been in the game day one. it's much more fun to have a bit of competition.
It would be fun to have as a default option, but I likely wouldn't keep it up/active during the actual portions of a fight. I'd find it way too distracting if I saw another DPS doing more than me. I prefer to focus on the fight currently in progress, although having something to tweak/alter my DPS rotations outside of battle [say on target dummies] would be useful.

It does seem like something that should be in-game, though. It can extremely useful, especially when you're trying to gauge when to use certain spell/abilities and how much damage they do.

Sophia

Damage meter being built into the UI would be pretty cool, as long as it doesn't automatically announce it like WoW mods did. >.<;

Actually, I kind of like the FFXIVApp for that reason. It can't currently announce anything, so I don't have to see someone's complaining.

BadRNG

What is the app people use that announces when Death Sentence, Twister...etc go up?
FFXIVAPP has a specific plugin for it, but any parser with notification/alert ability can be made to do it. Logrep and ACT both can, I'm not aware of any other popular parser but it's a common feature for these kinds of things.

It's the same idea as DPS parsing, except instead of reading logs to calculate damage it watches for whenever a specific event happens then notifies the user.

WolvenOne

Happened to me a few days ago during Titan EM. Went to dodge a Bomb while MTing the final phase and Titan decided to aim his landslides off to the side, putting me deep into LS range with no practical escape route. Shot off Holmgang and even had the Chain effect in place, but I was still flung off the platform.

Really frustrating, because that group got both Adds down and survived a fairly decent amount of time after I'd died. So if Holmgang had gone off correctly there's a real chance I would've downed Titan there.

Granted, partially my fault there. Had I stood still and Mitted through bombs I would've been in a much better position to dodge that 5 way landslide, even at that tilt. Still, would've been nice if the emergency skill actually worked in an emergency. :p

Number45

Oh yea. The only thing you can't change is your name (and some major racial features post fantasia use). You might also want to be careful which serer you play on (Ultros has a lot of GAF on it). You class, you GC, your stat allocation, just about everything I can think of can change if you want it to.

The main thing you should focus on doing is the main story quest if you want something to keep track of, since a lot of content, ranging from your airship pass to your chocobo is locked behind it. Class quests are pretty important too once you find one you like.
Thanks. Created a female Keepers of the Moon Miqo’te, Archer. Quite clichéd, but I fancied playing a woodland ranger style character.

Managed to get through character creation and pick up the first quest before maintenance started this morning. :p

Thanks. Created a female Keepers of the Moon Miqo’te, Archer. Quite clichéd, but I fancied playing a woodland ranger style character.

Managed to get through character creation and pick up the first quest before maintenance started this morning. :p
What server did you join? If you joined Ultros, make sure you register at the guild site and join us in-game. Don't be shy to ask for parties.

Number45

What server did you join? If you joined Ultros, make sure you register at the guild site and join us in-game. Don't be shy to ask for parties.
Yeah I joined Ultros, and I'll sign up soon. I'd like to familiarise myself with the game first as it's quite daunting trying to do everything with a controller (and on the flipside it's nice controlling an MMO character with a controller).

I will just say, this looks ugly (technically) on PS3... looking forward to the PS4 release!

Yeah I joined Ultros, and I'll sign up soon. I'd like to familiarise myself with the game first as it's quite daunting trying to do everything with a controller (and on the flipside it's nice controlling an MMO character with a controller).

I will just say, this looks ugly (technically) on PS3... looking forward to the PS4 release!
You are required to party up to do dungeons, from lv15 onwards. By then you'll be familiarised :)

And yeah, the PS3 version is something. I said I wouldn't talk about it anymore so I'll leave it at that.

Guys, if I already got the PS3 version of A Realm Reborn, can I get it for free on Windows?
No. Each platform requires a separate purchase (except PS3>4 migration), but it comes with an extra month.

Pachimari

You are required to party up to do dungeons, from lv15 onwards. By then you'll be familiarised :)

And yeah, the PS3 version is something. I said I wouldn't talk about it anymore so I'll leave it at that.

No. Each platform requires a separate purchase (except PS3>4 migration), but it comes with an extra month.

Alright, so I need to start over with a new character if I decide to start on the PC version now? Or is ones character on the server usable in all versions?

Number45

Alright, so I need to start over with a new character if I decide to start on the PC version now? Or is ones character on the server usable in all versions?
The account is valid across platforms, but you'll need to buy the game again to be able to play it on PC I believe. So you can play the characters on both.

EDIT: I think at least you only need to buy the vanilla version of ARR and you'll get all of the digital CE bits if you own that on PS3/PS4. Tempted, although I don't see a MAC version on their store. :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom