• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Authority

Banned
I created another character on Ragnarok and I must say I am having a blast and I am extremely happy. Seeing people around me constantly made my mood better and I am actually enjoying anything about the game.

I cant fucking wait to ride a chokobo.

And then I saw this badass tiger mount! How do I get that?

Number45

I created another character on Ragnarok and I must say I am having a blast and I am extremely happy. Seeing people around me constantly made my mood better and I am actually enjoying anything about the game.
What's the context for this? Seems like it's a follow up to something not going so well?

EDIT: Also, while I'm spamming this thread: aside from aesthetics (and I guess bank/storage purposes)... is there any reason to have more than one character in this game?

Authority

Banned
What's the context for this? Seems like it's a follow up to something not going so well?

EDIT: Also, while I'm spamming this thread: aside from aesthetics (and I guess bank/storage purposes)... is there any reason to have more than one character in this game?

I was in Cerberus with my first character and it was such a ghost town at the beginning that I got so gutted that I uninstalled the game (had one of those mood phases).

I would like to know as well whether there is a benefit having more characters.

Alright, so I need to start over with a new character if I decide to start on the PC version now? Or is ones character on the server usable in all versions?
No. The servers are the same, PS3/PS4/PC people all play together and you can use the same character on all platforms.

Tempted, although I don't see a MAC version on their store. :'(
There isn't one, sadly.

And then I saw this badass tiger mount! How do I get that?
The Coeurl is from the Collector's Edition.

The endgame content is on a weekly lockout. If you have more than one character you can do it more times.

Authority

Banned

I wish I knew from the beginning.

Is it possible to get a discount for collector's edition since I already got the game? Also if I do buy collector's edition do I need to re-install the game? And if I do I will not need to recreate my account right?

Number45

There isn't one, sadly.
Boo! I do have a PC, but it's old and frankly I want rid of it. My wife won't let it go!

Ooh, I have this then. I assume mounts unlock at a specific level?

The endgame content is on a weekly lockout. If you have more than one character you can do it more times.
I see. Well I'll cross that bridge when/if I come to it.

I wish I knew from the beginning.

Is it possible to get a discount for collector's edition since I already got the game? Also if I do buy collector's edition do I need to re-install the game? And if I do I will not need to recreate my account right?
You have two options:
1- Buy the CE of another platform and add it to your account.
2- Buy the $20 CE upgrade.

Very important: do not buy the CE of the same platform you have. You can't register the game twice on the same platform.

Ooh, I have this then. I assume mounts unlock at a specific level?
Yeah. At lv20-ish you unlock the chocobo mount, and then you can use the CE mounts.

Authority

Banned
You have two options:
1- Buy the CE of another platform and add it to your account.
2- Buy the $20 CE upgrade.

Very important: do not buy the CE of the same platform you have. You can't register the game twice on the same platform.

Yeah. At lv20-ish you unlock the chocobo mount, and then you can use the CE mounts.

I upgraded to the digital CE edition.

It states,

You have no Veteran Rewards.

Other Received Bonus Items

・Helm of Light
・Baby Behemoth
・Behemoth Barding
・Coeurl Bell

So I just have to log in to receive my Bonus Items? No need to put a bonus xode in the Mog Station?

My problem with parsers and DPS meters is that they rarely give you a complete picture of an encounter. These tools are fine if you're beating on a stationary practice dummy and trying to test, measure, or improve your effectiveness, but I find them otherwise unproductive and abusive. I will concede that if you're having a DPS problem on a specific phase with a DPS check, then it might be useful to pinpoint where your group is lacking in that particular phase if the tool is used correctly.

I have a question for Yoshi, if it's not too late:

Currently certain skills which are to be used for "emergency" situations and which are marked as Instant effect do not take effect instantly. This includes Hallowed Ground, Holmgang, and Benediction. These skills go through an animation on trigger before taking effect, which defeats the purpose of being used in "emergency" situations as the player has usually died before the skill actually takes effect despite being marked Instant. Many times the skill actually goes onto it's Cooldown timer, but no effect occurs and the player is dead. Are there any plans to fix this problem so Instant skills actually go into effect instantly instead of going on Cooldown and then doing nothing?

I really wish they would address this. While they're at it, I wish they would change the abilities that are not on GCD from being unable to activate until another ability has finished. It makes them feel unresponsive and makes combat less interesting. This has been a complaint from many people since Alpha/Beta.

aceface

I upgraded to the digital CE edition.

It states,

You have no Veteran Rewards.

Other Received Bonus Items

・Helm of Light
・Baby Behemoth
・Behemoth Barding
・Coeurl Bell

So I just have to log in to receive my Bonus Items? No need to put a bonus xode in the Mog Station?

Afaik you can now log in and your stuff will be at a moogle delivery man ingame. (Look for a little envelope on the map to find these guys)

Leunam

I hit level 28 on my Marauder last night, getting really close to unlocking Warrior. Once I learn Defiance, am I supposed to keep it up at all times in main-tanking situations?

Leunam

Cool, and then slowly strip off the penalties once I've got enough Wrath stacked up? What should be my priority, assuming I'm at level 50?

It would be fun to have as a default option, but I likely wouldn't keep it up/active during the actual portions of a fight. I'd find it way too distracting if I saw another DPS doing more than me. I prefer to focus on the fight currently in progress, although having something to tweak/alter my DPS rotations outside of battle [say on target dummies] would be useful.

It does seem like something that should be in-game, though. It can extremely useful, especially when you're trying to gauge when to use certain spell/abilities and how much damage they do.

on/off option should be there. you wouldn't need it for farming etc. it's just a very useful tool that would keep people on their toes more.

Authority

Banned
April 14th I believe, with an open beta starting soon (next week?).

Great news.

By the way the collector's edition is fucking sweet.

Helm of Light
overview_10.png

Coeurl Mount
overview_111.png

Behemoth Barding

overview_12.png

Cant wait to level up to 20.

Fvash

Neo Member
And here it is: http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/...l-fantasy-xiv-producerdirector-naoki-yoshida/
Like I said we got saddled with another outlet so only a few of those questions are ours... I will be sending the rest for response via email so if your didn't get answered I will make sure it does.

Thanks for this! I'm still looking forward to DX11 support for PC, but it looks like a lot of effort is being put toward PS4 development specifically right now. Does anyone more technically minded know if DX11 is part of development for PS4?

Then I wonder: will PS4 and DX11 PC be basically identical? Space is at a premium on my computer's SSD >_<

Valus

I don't care for parsers but only because I am very hard on myself and seeing myself at the bottom out of the four, five or six damage dealers would either drive me up a wall and try to operate at a crazy high level or I would just hate myself. So I don't bother and just do my absolute best in a fight and be satisfied with whatever result comes out.

Parsers suck. I experienced them for the first time the other day. Was me, another DRG, a BRD, and a BLM. Tank kept parsing everyone to see if we had the dps for Titan EX (as if when the phase transitions weren't enough to tell if dps was good) and we died at after heart phase at one point and posted the numbers. I was at the top of the chart, doing 100 more dps than the other DRG who came in at number 2, and everyone started giving him so much shit. Saying like "wtf you have the same gear as him why are you sucking" and what not.

No one bothered to question the BLM doing half my dps lol. But yeah they used my number as a reason to kick the other DRG even though he was doing fine. I was pissed.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Parsers suck. I experienced them for the first time the other day. Was me, another DRG, a BRD, and a BLM. Tank kept parsing everyone to see if we had the dps for Titan EX (as if when the phase transitions weren't enough to tell if dps was good) and we died at after heart phase at one point and posted the numbers. I was at the top of the chart, doing 100 more dps than the other DRG who came in at number 2, and everyone started giving him so much shit. Saying like "wtf you have the same gear as him why are you sucking" and what not.

No one bothered to question the BLM doing half my dps lol. But yeah they used my number as a reason to kick the other DRG even though he was doing fine. I was pissed.

I guess I'm a rare breed that loves getting parsed and parsing. It's not necessarily a bad thing to come in a bit low on the DPS. There may be a learning opportunity to get tips from the higher DPS. Maybe they have a better stat build or a better rotation. Just strike up a conversation and improve yourself.

On a DPs intensive fight like Twin, it really helps a group to parse out the DPS, go to training dummies and help the laggard(s) bring up their numbers.

aceface

Kicking a person and using a parser as the reason is like two infractions, you could report those people if you wanted (although I think they only accept reports on vote kick abuse from the person who was kicked)

Thanks for this! I'm still looking forward to DX11 support for PC, but it looks like a lot of effort is being put toward PS4 development specifically right now. Does anyone more technically minded know if DX11 is part of development for PS4?

Then I wonder: will PS4 and DX11 PC be basically identical? Space is at a premium on my computer's SSD >_<

From the sounds of it the DX11 version might be better than PS4 but it seems a long way off. In one of those interviews I read yesterday, I think YoshiP said their priorities are PS4 version, then launch in China, then Expansion and THEN DX11 support.

frequency

Outside of a guild, I have never seen a parser used for anything but blaming people or bragging about your own numbers.

They can be useful but in general I think the negatives they bring far outweigh the benefits.

MogCakes

Outside of a guild, I have never seen a parser used for anything but blaming people or bragging about your own numbers.

They can be useful but in general I think the negatives they bring far outweigh the benefits.

That's because more often than not people use them as a tool for their own mental DPS competitions.

WolvenOne

Okay, so, what changes would you guys make to Holmgang, aside from making it truly instantaneous?

Increased duration? High Damage Mitigation in addition to never seeing HP go below 1? Retain the ability to move within a set distance of the add? What?

Edit: Also, I like parsers for personal use, but I don't think it's appropriate to throw those numbers at strangers faces. That said, if those numbers confirm that a players DPS is lower than they should by, and you think you know why, it doesn't hurt to offer some constructive advice.

I'll probably be asking several people about just that, as I finish leveling my DRG.

chrono01

on/off option should be there. you wouldn't need it for farming etc. it's just a very useful tool that would keep people on their toes more.
Indeed, that's why I said that it should be thee as a default option, although I wouldn't have it active all of the time. It would only be for myself to better my DPS/rotations, not to judge other people. :)

At the very least, it would be nice if SE themselves created add-on's for the game, the DPS meter being one of them. I know the likelihood of this happening is basically 100%, but still.

Authority

Banned
I have got two more questions.

I must be level 20 to mount the tiger? Also which job gives me stealth? And I can use stealth from that job in pve and pvp?

Aeana

I have got two more questions.

I must be level 20 to mount the tiger? Also which job gives me stealth? And I can use stealth from that job in pve and pvp?
You have to have done the chocobo quest, which is from the main quest when it gets to level 20. Only gathering jobs get stealth. It cannot be crossed with combat jobs.

Kenai

Okay, so, what changes would you guys make to Holmgang, aside from making it truly instantaneous?

Increased duration? High Damage Mitigation in addition to never seeing HP go below 1? Retain the ability to move within a set distance of the add? What?

Just making it happen instantly would be enough for me. I don't play WAR though (or PLD). but I agree that making a clutch saving ability not instant when it lasts 6 secs is pretty dumb.

Edit: Also, I like parsers for personal use, but I don't think it's appropriate to throw those numbers at strangers faces. That said, if those numbers confirm that a players DPS is lower than they should by, and you think you know why, it doesn't hurt to offer some constructive advice.

I'll probably be asking several people about just that, as I finish leveling my DRG.

It's unfortunate but most of the time it will be used to berate other people and that story a few posts up is going to be the most common scenario. it's a prime example of "this is why we can't have nice things" and why I feel SE will likely not be changing their stance on it quickly, if at all.

It also doesn't help that there are several instances of mechanics that can drastically affect the DPS of only one person from fight to fight (like gaols and conflags) or by class (RoB/Firestaarter procs) so if the person does not take that into account it can make someone look far worse than they actually are. Parsers are often inaccurate or meaningless without context but yet a bad one is still capable of getting someone kicked or starting an "*insert class here* is bad" rumors.

They need to make it so if the target mob resists or is immune to Holmgang's root, you don't get rooted either. Right now Holmgang is pretty stupid, you pop it and assuming it goes off before you die, you stand there like a target dummy waiting for the next big hit from the boss which you can't avoid because you're rooted to the spot.

This means that unlike Hallowed Ground, Holmgang is pretty useless against Twintania because you'll pop it to survive a Death Sentence you were not topped off for and it roots you and then Twister happens right after and you can't move and die. And the problem is the same for Liquid Hell in the last phase, if you use Holmgang to not have to move and shift her position above the neurolink you are rooted and stand there eating the damage from all 5 down to 1 HP and then what the fuck are you supposed to do except pray for a Benediction exactly when it wears off and try to run out before you die to 5 ground circle AoEs. It's literally the worst Oh Shit button ever.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I have a question for Yoshi, if it's not too late:

Currently certain skills which are to be used for "emergency" situations and which are marked as Instant effect do not take effect instantly. This includes Hallowed Ground, Holmgang, and Benediction. These skills go through an animation on trigger before taking effect, which defeats the purpose of being used in "emergency" situations as the player has usually died before the skill actually takes effect despite being marked Instant. Many times the skill actually goes onto it's Cooldown timer, but no effect occurs and the player is dead. Are there any plans to fix this problem so Instant skills actually go into effect instantly instead of going on Cooldown and then doing nothing?

Last call for any questions for Yoshi-P.

Jeels

Hey guys,

having issue (ps3 version) where i cant even get to the log in screen. sometimes nothingloads (black screen), sometimes it does load to the splash page but the actual log in fields dont load. sometimes they do load but when i hit log in its just loading forever.

what is going on?

This is why I'm fine with no parsers in the game.

BadRNG

This is why I'm fine with no parsers in the game.
I just don't get this train of thought. Should we disable ilevels? Being able to inspect each other's gear at all? Why not turn off all party chat since some people can use it to harass others? Dicks going to be dicks. Shouldn't ban an extremely useful tool because some assholes will use it to harass others, assholes will always find a way to do that because that's what they do. This kind of thinking is why we can't whisper in instances, another fairly stupid stance from SE.

(On another note, 100dps discrepancy is absolutely huge for two people of the same class/gear level. Like stupidly huge. Berating the guy doesn't solve anything, but someone definitely needed to talk to him about his rotation because he definitely was not "doing fine".)

The problem with Holmgang is the ability itself. If you make it so every boss could be locked on place that could break some content, if you don't make it like that, you also end with a terribly situational skill. Unlike HG which can be applied to any encounter and situation. If they made it like HG...then is basically HG...

This is what I would do.

- If the enemy can't be locked in place make it so WAR is not either, instead he's chained to the enemy but he still have some mobility to evade attacks.

- Keep duration (or maybe give it a couple more seconds) but make it so it also adds a HUGE HP absorbe boost to every skill. Like 500%.

That way the ability would be still useful and could compete against HG while being different enough

BadRNG

If no parsers, then there needs to be some measure of suck in the game. Like idle time or something. People that suck bring groups down, it's nice to be able to identify the suck and correct/remove it.
Every player has a suck meter next to their name, and getting hit by avoidable damage or having dps fall below a certain threshold increases the meter. If the meter ever reaches full the player is sucked into a blackhole.

Keep things interesting.

Teknoman

Every player has a suck meter next to their name, and getting hit by avoidable damage or having dps fall below a certain threshold increases the meter. If the meter ever reaches full the player is sucked into a blackhole.

Keep things interesting.

Demi meter huh?

I broke down and couldn't wait for the ps4 version and resubbed. Doubts about when I would actually purchase a ps4 contributed to this.

Anyway, time to check if I'm still in the FC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom