• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollux

Out of curiosity, for those of you playing on PS3...are you just using the controller or is there keyboard integration?

One of the problems I had during the first month when this first came out was using the controller for an MMO, and coming from WoW it made trying to communicate with people incredibly difficult.

Noi

Out of curiosity, for those of you playing on PS3...are you just using the controller or is there keyboard integration?

One of the problems I had during the first month when this first came out was using the controller for an MMO, and coming from WoW it made trying to communicate with people incredibly difficult.

Controller for actual gameplay, usb keyboard for chatting it up. I can't imagine playing the game without a keyboard to talk to people with.

_woLf

Hey, could I get an invite back into the FC on Ultros? I bought a 60 day card and want to play with ya'll again! :)

Name IGN is Asuna Tevos.

Aeana

Grats to our fourth group in the Ultros FC downing Twin.
Illyasviel, Sumie, H'ntai, Sosul, Renault, Safflower, Kookabura, Kenai~

Alex

This is why I'm fine with no parsers in the game.

XIV has a pretty toxic community, even by MMO standards, so I don't really disagree with a lot of the sentiments produced with that line of thinking, honestly, but metering can be pretty important to this type of MMO. I'm OK with effort being taken to provide less obtrusive (and flammable) wrappers for public work (but I still want full, nerdy details for personal) but they need to provide some us with some options as making an end game oriented WoW-like then turning around and banning metering is asinine from *so* many perspectives besides dips squabbling in Duty Finder. Personal improvement, general game balance and testing, guild and group fostering and health, etc.

Luckily you can get away with most of that in hiding but again, it's just windower nonsense for a new generation and it irks me greatly to see. Square is always gonna be Square but this is one aspect where they should have more sense than that.

Also, I just have to say again, DPS meters even in the raw aren't always some displays of personal pride. People will yell at a tank for letting mobs run loose, people will yell at a healer for missing crucial heals, DPS should not get off for doing a fraction of the damage they should be capable of in the grand scheme of output vs survivability, it's often just as big of a determent to groups. We already have gearscore cooked into this game, which honestly is way worse than metering in WoW ever was (and massively less constructive), so this notion that it would somehow throw down on the welfare of the game is just a little odd to me.

Getting so frustrated as SMN with this Twintania fight...I pretty much just Bane all 3 of my dots to the baby dragons and keep them up while blowing Spur, Rouse, Enkindle, Raging Strikes, all 4 dots including Shadow Flare...and then during Conflag phase, keeping all four of my dots on Twin and then using Bane onto the conflag while having my pet attack it as well...and then on Fast conflags, using Fester on the fast ones...

Despite all that, they're saying my dps is lower than the tanks...how?!

Oh and already did it before but congrats to Illy's group for downing Twin. Always nice to see groups that have been together for a long while down the creature!

Are you talking about a different Twintania run than our last one? 'Cause you did slightly more DPS than Myra last time, which was a pretty big improvement. Also nobody does or has ever done as little DPS as the tanks do.

It's up to you to figure out the best skills to use in what situation, but if you ask me you're doing good.

Are you talking about a different Twintania run than our last one? 'Cause you did slightly more DPS than Myra last time, which was a pretty big improvement. Also nobody does or has ever done as little DPS as the tanks do.

It's up to you to figure out the best skills to use in what situation, but if you ask me you're doing good.

Twin 5 practice run tonight with Rai and various people on Ultros.

Oh, and obligatory victory picture. I was doing the cheer emote to liven it up but I guess I didn't take the picture fast enough. XD

CUmgvgi.png

Khatoz

Oh, and what dropped was for the one job that no one in our group mains. I guess that figures. It wouldn't be our group unless what dropped was always what no one wanted.

That's such an apropriate picture taken inside Guy's room, well done Illya, congrats on the kiĺl as well!

Number45

I assume the time cards are account wide, not platform specific. So if I buy this or this it'll work fine for the PS3 as well? If anyone has any good deals for time that will work in the UK I'd appreciate it. :)

Number45

Hmm Ultros is a NA server. I'm in the UK.. does that matter?

Edit: sorry. Lazy me just scrolled up and saw the exact same conversation halfway up the page... consider my wrists slapped.

I'll give Ultros a go and see how it goes.
Yeah I'm UK as well, just created my first character on Ultros (signal is the same (excellent) as every other server that was listed)). Literally, that's all I've done. :)

Also, I've just realised that I'm going to save nothing with the time cards. Might as well just setup a rolling 30 day sub for now, then I can migrate to the longer periods if I feel like it later.

Stuart444

edit for above folks: UK here and also on Ultros. EU servers also have the same datacenter as NA servers (Montreal) so latency wise, you're screwed no matter what.

So did T1 (and saw T2) for the first time.

It was Me, Alice, Elrina, Mono, Kaira along with two tanks and 1 bard pugs. (Tiduz was supposed to come along as Tank but he couldn't stay - hoping to get some better timings next week)

Got the snake down after several wipes in T1. (Mt was all over the place at times causing me, the only melee to get frontal attacked :( ). We got the rhythm down quickly though our MT ended up dead while the snake was close to death. Soon everyone but El was dead yet somehow, he pulled out the victory. Was an awesome kill even if everyone but one person was dead XD.

Tried T2 enraged, a few wipes at the nodes since the MT was new and had to get the timing down on the silence High Voltage stuff. Final boss didn't go so well though, we didn't have the DPS to get it down quickly enough. Got it to half way before people started dying.

We stopped after that since we didn't have time to go through all 3 nodes again that night.

On a related note: Coil hates my DRG :(. Sucks to be melee sometimes. I gave up trying to dodge the quick AoEs in the node fights and just let the healers heal through it since they didn't get me close to death.

UK here and also on Ultros. EU servers also have the same datacenter as NA servers (Montreal) so latency wise, you're screwed no matter what.

More or less. For us at least, we only notice the lag during primals and maybe during big fates? (though that might have been more a PS3 thing for me than actual server lag).

But it's nothing that stops us from playing :)

Thanks everyone, i'll probably create a character on Ultros this evening, will contact someone to get invited to the guild (if it's still possible).

One more question though, is there any class similar to the rogue/assassin archetype?

dramatis

Getting so frustrated as SMN with this Twintania fight...I pretty much just Bane all 3 of my dots to the baby dragons and keep them up while blowing Spur, Rouse, Enkindle, Raging Strikes, all 4 dots including Shadow Flare...and then during Conflag phase, keeping all four of my dots on Twin and then using Bane onto the conflag while having my pet attack it as well...and then on Fast conflags, using Fester on the fast ones...

If you're using parsers, you probably ought to know this, but the parser you're using is probably not counting your DoT damage.

So the real way to evaluate how much damage you're doing as SMN is to find the total damage, add up the rest of your group's damage, and then total damage - group damage = your damage. If you're still doing less than tank then, well.

Thanks everyone, i'll probably create a character on Ultros this evening, will contact someone to get invited to the guild (if it's still possible).
You'll need to sign up on the guildworks site as part of the process. I think the details are in the OP?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Hmm Ultros is a NA server. I'm in the UK.. does that matter?

Edit: sorry. Lazy me just scrolled up and saw the exact same conversation halfway up the page... consider my wrists slapped.

I'll give Ultros a go and see how it goes.

European and NA servers are all in Canada. You will have the same experience either way. (as far as latency goes)

Pretty happy with it right now :) I do like this game, I'm more of a FF fan than an MMO fan, so I'm a bit clueless on how this all works. I did the closed Beta test though, so I learned a fair bit doing that.

scosher

Thanks Tiv :)

Glad we got it down before 2.2.

Wow, so many dead. Did you guys ever hit enrage? And how long had you guys been at it?

We probably started serious attempts back in December, but it wasn't until two weeks ago that we added a second raid night and really put more time into it. Your group motivated us. ;)

We had about 39 seconds till enrage. DPS-wise we didn't have much issues, with snakes or enrage. Divebombs were our biggest hurdle, and we basically now just have H'ntai count it down on mumble. Once we got the transition from snakes to twister phase down cleanly and consistently, we knew we had it.

Kenai

Thanks!

Looking back it's kind of weird how many mechanics SE throws into this fight, especially considering there's no real FF equivalent to DBM like in WoW. It makes me hopeful that they can add some incredible things going forward.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Thanks Tiv :)

Glad we got it down before 2.2.

We probably started serious attempts back in December, but it wasn't until two weeks ago that we added a second raid night and really put more time into it. Your group motivated us. ;)

We had about 39 seconds till enrage. DPS-wise we didn't have much issues, with snakes or enrage. Divebombs were our biggest hurdle, and we basically now just have H'ntai count it down on mumble. Once we got the transition from snakes to twister phase down cleanly and consistently, we knew we had it.

Was that your first time getting to the final phase today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom