• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

I think its just the "did you look at the guide first" mentality some players have. Sure it helps, but those players that made guides/videos had to go in there and learn the ropes too. At any rate, you usually end up better when you have to learn fresh...imo of course.

Crystal Tower today was a bust. This game knows all I need are the Onion Armor & Mask, so neither dropped in all my runs. And that last run... Haaa. Not gonna Duty Find CT again for a bit. That alliance couldn't get past Bone Dragon.

The players really make or break the enjoyment you get out of CT. Even if the loot I want doesn't drop, if the alliance is, y'know, not a bunch of a-holes, then it's pretty fun.

BadRNG

I can't believe what this game does to me. The pressure of trying to learn new dungeons is horrible. Its almost like stage fright, but focused on me not wanting to look bad and waste peoples time.

I'm praying a new GAF coil group forms soon so I can actually feel decent about joining some of these groups. The comments i see when I join or are invited and admit im new but have seen videos are rough. I'm to much of an empath.
People who have tons of experience still make mistakes and waste people's time. Don't psyche yourself out over this, most fights can be picked up pretty fast.

If people are giving you a lot of nonconstructive bullshit for being new, you can always do with qhon suggested and just wing it a bit. If you've watched videos/studied up on the encounter beforehand then you're as prepared as much as you reasonably can be.

Personally, I think healers have it worst. Tanks just have to kinda stand there, and DPS just need to not get hit by lines or field attacks. Healers have to be on point no matter what.
Everyone needs to be on the ball, at least in t4/5, t2 depending on whether you're doing fight properly. (I assume you're still talking about coil based on person you quoted)

Also I see more DPS being chewed out than any other role, which is kind of weird. I don't bother pugging 8man stuff though, maybe environment is different from 4man.

I think its just the "did you look at the guide first" mentality some players have. Sure it helps, but those players that made guides/videos had to go in there and learn the ropes too. At any rate, you usually end up better when you have to learn fresh...imo of course.
Completely different situation though. The guide/video makers tend to be in dedicated groups, where everyone is new together and learn together.

Most people in pugs just want to get it over and done with, and often have already done the fight once. I don't mind running with new people, but for some fights it saves a ton of time if you just looked over a video once. Just so you aren't completely blind.

Khatoz

Finally have the BiS Parry set for PLD complete :D

38S3oRR.jpg

Aeana

I don't even know what BiS is for Monk

Well, considering your DPS, I imagine you're at least good enough.

From one of our fights in Coil tonight:
All (03:26) → Total DPS: 1497, Veronique: 326, Odoru: 313, Pellegri: 309, Guy: 294, Yennaiv: 113, Ragnar: 112, Limit: 29, Tiv: 0, Mira: 0

Teknoman

People who have tons of experience still make mistakes and waste people's time. Don't psyche yourself out over this, most fights can be picked up pretty fast.

If people are giving you a lot of nonconstructive bullshit for being new, you can always do with qhon suggested and just wing it a bit. If you've watched videos/studied up on the encounter beforehand then you're as prepared as much as you reasonably can be.

Everyone needs to be on the ball, at least in t4/5, t2 depending on whether you're doing fight properly. (I assume you're still talking about coil based on person you quoted)

Also I see more DPS being chewed out than any other role, which is kind of weird. I don't bother pugging 8man stuff though, maybe environment is different from 4man.

Completely different situation though. The guide/video makers tend to be in dedicated groups, where everyone is new together and learn together.

Most people in pugs just want to get it over and done with, and often have already done the fight once. I don't mind running with new people, but for some fights it saves a ton of time if you just looked over a video once. Just so you aren't completely blind.

Oh, I was just talking about trying a new dungeon or boss battle you've unlocked in general. I dont think i'm near coil status myself so cant comment on that.

Our group one-shotted Twin today after beating it for the first time yesterday. It's pretty hilarious.

Grats to Kenai on his shiny new book. The healing pants dropped too but I don't know who got them.

Our group one-shotted Twin today after beating it for the first time yesterday. It's pretty hilarious.

Grats to Kenai on his shiny new book. The healing pants dropped too but I don't know who got them.

It's hilarious how easy it appears for groups once they down it once. Hoping we beat it this week.

1 hour and 15 minutes to one shot 1-5 this week. 2.2 can't come quick enough.

We one-shotted our way through 1-5 today. We killed Twin the first try and then we were like well okay. Apparently because of her mechanics, you go from half the team dead on first kill straight to farm status by the second kill. Then we killed Garuda EX and Ifrit EX on the first tries and we were feeling pretty good about ourselves until we got to Titan EX and wiped 4 times to him before we killed him.

Titan EX confirmed for the actual hardest content in the game right now.

I guess this means I have lot of free time to level up SMN/SCH the rest of the week.

rykomatsu

well...that was a little eerie, but managed a smooth center-tank bone dragon...

so much easier in many ways (though didn't get to experience the ensuing wipe hillarity...)

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Shout-out to the Gaffers who carried me through the first few turns of Coil. That was awesome stuff, and gave me new desire to really get cracking on getting my character here geared up.

Deacon

Shout-out to the Gaffers who carried me through the first few turns of Coil. That was awesome stuff, and gave me new desire to really get cracking on getting my character here geared up.

Hope you stick with the group. Hit up the late night thread on the guildwork site.

The next thing for Bookey's group that will drop will be another SMN book, just another sign for Makoto to level SMN. Or something else other than pew pew!

Infinitydragon

Neo Member
Well if anyone wants to see it, this is our Twintania kill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnP0cT7cqSc

Please send some cleanup at aisle 6 for the end there. Thanks.

A bit late but Congrats guys.

The next thing for Bookey's group that will drop will be another SMN book, just another sign for Makoto to level SMN. Or something else other than pew pew!

If that book drops I will roll on it again. I must make sure Krael doesn't get it.

Our second Twintania kill went much more pleasantly than our first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc4hrARuJn0

Congrats! But damn that fireball phase is messy. Hopefully that cleans up this week. People running fireballs over the neurolinks and into the tank cracked me up a bit.

Yeah, this time we actually knew what was coming and everyone was able to bail the fuck out when they saw liquid hells landing on top of me and it was a clean kill.

Frologic

Noticed this on Steam now. Having only played Tera online and loving the combat, I'm not sure if I should get this. The world, story and music look beautiful but I'm really on fence. Anyone who has never tried traditional MMO combat manage to enjoy this more than they thought?

Noticed this on Steam now. Having only played Tera online and loving the combat, I'm not sure if I should get this. The world, story and music look beautiful but I'm really on fence. Anyone who has never tried traditional MMO combat manage to enjoy this more than they thought?
It was my first "different" MMO combat-wise and it has become my fav MMO ever.

Going to be grabbing it on Steam when I get home in about an hour. Someone on here was right in that it goes on sale often enough, good thing I waited the extra week. Which server should I hop on as an absolute novice to this game (with ~9 years of MMO experience under my belt at least) who hasn't played since the original beta?

Going to be grabbing it on Steam when I get home in about an hour. Someone on here was right in that it goes on sale often enough, good thing I waited the extra week. Which server should I hop on as an absolute novice to this game (with ~9 years of MMO experience under my belt at least) who hasn't played since the original beta?
Either go on one of the gaffer servers or straight Gilgamesh - the most populated server. You'll want a lot of people to play with.

Xux

Few days ago:
"Hey, Peaceful, wanna come help with Hard Mode Primals?"
"Sorry, I've never done them and don't know anything about them."
"That's okay, come anyway!"
Fuuuuuu...
Couple days later:
:D Thanks to everyone that helped!

Looking at that Titan screen...
Man, fuck Magitek Menace.

Hyunashi

So since I am downloading ... is this game more punishing to melee than to range? And how faceroll are dungeons (coming from GW2 where nothing was a challenge essentially, even while pugging with terribly geared individuals)?

So since I am downloading ... is this game more punishing to melee than to range? And how faceroll are dungeons (coming from GW2 where nothing was a challenge essentially, even while pugging with terribly geared individuals)?
Yes, ranged is easier to play because of dodging and no positional attacks.

Late dungeons are easy with competent players, but if you get a bad tank or healer you're in for a challenge.
Early dungeons are faceroll.

Hyunashi

Yes, ranged is easier to play because of dodging and no positional attacks.

Late dungeons are easy with competent players, but if you get a bad tank or healer you're in for a challenge.
Early dungeons are faceroll.

Ahh thanks for this. I also understand from when I played beta that you could play all classes on 1 character but what would you recommend for someone that hasn't played for a long while? And finally, how is the leveling pace (like in GW2 i can go 1-80 in 2-3 days hardcore or a week at a much slacker pace, how does it compare)?

Thanks for answers, getting hyped!

Most of the dungeons in the game are a breeze - and you'll get matched with higher level people doing their dailies very often. As for melee Vs range, it only really matters in PVP where it's kinda lopsided. That said, the difficulty spikes really hard in the endgame content. It's a completely different game, basically, and being undergeared and not knowing how the fights pan out will make things a lot tougher.

You can get to 50 the first time in a week or so if you know what you are doing.

Ahh thanks for this. I also understand from when I played beta that you could play all classes on 1 character but what would you recommend for someone that hasn't played for a long while?
That's a question better asked to someone that plays all classes. From what I saw, the easier ones are Thaumaturge and Archer.

But in the end, because you can (and need) to play multiple classes anyway, just read the descriptions and pick the one that you like the most.

frequency

Someone learning a fight fresh and experiencing the game as it was meant to be (rather than spoiling content through videos) is more important than me saving some time in the endless gear grind.

Expecting others to watch videos and read guides or whatever is selfish in my opinion. If you don't want new people like that then form a static of jerks with similar selfish interests. If you go into Duty Finder you can't impose stupid "research" requirements on people.

If you're using Party Finder/Shout make sure you mention how much of a jerk you are so people don't join for you to berate them for playing a game.

omlet

Few days ago:
"Hey, Peaceful, wanna come help with Hard Mode Primals?"
"Sorry, I've never done them and don't know anything about them."
"That's okay, come anyway!"
Fuuuuuu...

Couple days later:

:D Thanks to everyone that helped!

Looking at that Titan screen...
Man, fuck Magitek Menace.

Grats, and you picked up duo-tanking on Hydra pretty quick, a lot better than some other people I've tanked that fight with :lol

I don't even know what BiS is for Monk

You might be able to adjust gear a bit for a few points more of ss/det/crit by considering the EM primal accessories or Hero's but you're looking at probably single digit DPS differences if you're i90 because STR (assuming 100% acc) is the most important.

Allagan claws
Melee circlet
Allagan body / gloves / belt
Bananapants
Allagan boots
Allagan rings, maiming choker and ear, striking bracelets

I'm just missing the allagan body for this set which I built before EM primals were released but it's still a solid set. Will put me at perfect ACC and SS with a load of DET and some decent crit (considering uptime of IR and Bootshine's auto-crit, I prefer to go for DET more than crit but crit shouldn't be ignored). I eat HQ buttons for additional DET boost.

It's important to keep enough SS for around a 2.1 GCD for your rotations, so I need to test again but I think the allagan maiming bracelets would put my SS too low going from Melee Cyclas to allagan body (a loss of 24 SS, whenever I get the drop). If not, then all 4 allagan maiming are better (that's what I'm using right now, with banana body, since we only get tank and bard shit from turn 5).

This set gives you
STR 224
VIT 180
ACC 132 (IIRC 341 is the base ACC for a level 50 character so this puts you at a sweet spot)
Crit 168 (which sounds like a lot but this set isn't even going out of its way for crit; you get 73 just from allagan weapon and body alone)
SS 48
DET 74

Swapping allagan bracelets you get SS 32 and DET 85.

You could look for something else to swap on head piece to make up the ACC you'd need so that you could keep the allagan visor's DET, but your only other i90 ACC options for slots that don't already have DET on them are... Hero's bracelet (11ACC/11DET, so not enough on its own unless you ate ACC food). You could get EM ifrit bracelet for the ACC and lose the DET from allagan bracelet, netting you 4 DET from allagan visor at a loss of 10 crit. If you have excess ACC (like, with relic+1) the titan EM earrings are better than allagan but since we're talking BiS here then we're assuming you're building a set around allagan claws meaning you need more ACC from other slots.

Anyway, is it BiS? Maybe not. When you have the game's toughest content on farm does it really matter if it's a few DET shy of BiS? Nooooope.

CLBridges

I guess I haven't been really reading through FFXIV wikis and this thread enough. I feel stupid for typing this but I finally figured out how to exchange Tomes yesterday for gear :( lol. Guess I just wasn't really paying attention and would just run dungeons in ilvl 50-55 gear. Now I do have a few i70 pieces and a i90 piece. Beat CT for the first time yesterday and accidentally greeded on something I already had a superior piece of (I was to excited and didn't think lol).

Oh well, I'm just now getting into end game stuff and honestly in no rush. I guess today I'm on to Garuda HM, I'm trying my hardest to finish this relic quest. One day I'll reach Primals EX and Coil, but you guys will have probably moved on to new Patch stuff lol. I'm having fun though.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Hope you stick with the group. Hit up the late night thread on the guildwork site.

Don't see why I won't. And perhaps next time I can jump in and actually watch a video on how the fights are supposed to progress. Was kind of thrown into the fire there as it were. An absolute blast though.
And really a lot easier than I was expecting, though I do have a fair bit of raid experience in MMOs.

(And the rate we were getting DRG drops I think I'm going to get mine geared up in darklight/work on relic, just in case thats all we see xD)

Aeana

Don't see why I won't. And perhaps next time I can jump in and actually watch a video on how the fights are supposed to progress. Was kind of thrown into the fire there as it were. An absolute blast though.
And really a lot easier than I was expecting, though I do have a fair bit of raid experience in MMOs.

(And the rate we were getting DRG drops I think I'm going to get mine geared up in darklight/work on relic, just in case thats all we see xD)
Most of the difficulty about Coil, at least early on, was the fact that people were attempting it with ilvl 70 gear. Crystal Tower wasn't in the game, so ilvl 80 stuff wasn't there, and access to myth tome gear was very gated. These days, most people are ilvl 90 so Coil is pretty easy for the most part.

Isaccard

I'm wondering if I buy the Steam version of the game and give away the key, if I can still log in steam using my windows based account.

Number45

I'm wondering if I buy the Steam version of the game and give away the key, if I can still log in steam using my windows based account.
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do this. It's only going to be providing the launcher and overlay functionality right? The actual game client will remain the same? You have the Windows service on your account already.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Most of the difficulty about Coil, at least early on, was the fact that people were attempting it with ilvl 70 gear. Crystal Tower wasn't in the game, so ilvl 80 stuff wasn't there, and access to myth tome gear was very gated. These days, most people are ilvl 90 so Coil is pretty easy for the most part.

I'm ilvl

Though in my defense I've been resubbed to this game for what, less than 2 weeks now? Haha

Gonna push through and cap myth today so I can +1 my relic and try and up my DPS a little there.

I do feel kind of guilty for having that i55 hat there, but I dont want to drop a bunch of gil on Vanya when I'll have just enough myth to buy the Sorcerer's Petasos next week, which is BiS anyways :<

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Considering playing this, few Qs

1. Worth the sub?

2. Whats learning curve like?

3. Hows playerbase? Friendly?

4. How is PVP?

5. Is it similar to previous FFs?

Duress

I honestly don't know what to do.

I've leveled up three classes, and I'm working on my fourth. My guild is doing CT and Extreme Primals.

I really don't think anyone wants to help me play catch up.

Should I just do end game dungeons, and hope I can keep up?

omlet

1. Worth the sub?

4. How is PVP?

1. Yes.

2. 1-50 is easy, especially if you've played MMOs before. Endgame content has some steep learning curves on some fights.

3. Like any other MMO playerbase. Good and bad. If you're bad at games like this you will hear it from people, especially at level cap.

4. A distraction at best. This game is PvE focused.

5. Not really, unless you count XI, with which it shares being an MMO with a FF theme, but that's about it.

frequency

1. Worth the sub?
Hard to say without knowing what kind of games you like. It's worth trying though (you get 1 free month).

It's easy to pick up and there are tutorials for everything and lots of resources you can find online for help.

Generally not very good. There are friendly people leveling up. At level 50 (max level) the number of friendly people drops significantly but they do still exist. Finding a good Free Company (guild) is key to having a good time in terms of community.

4. How is PVP?
Terrible. It can be entertaining to do once in a while. But it's terrible in terms of balance/"serious" competitive play.

No. But they put in a lot of nostalgia. It doesn't play anything like previous FFs and the story and the way it is told is nothing like previous FFs. It's not even similar to FFXI (the other FF MMORPG). The nostalgia elements added may make you feel like it's FF though. Many people say it does for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom