• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

j4Rn69nShkPlh.png

no fair

Zaptruder

Banned
Did Binding Coil for the first time earlier. Goddamn that place is amazing, slaps all other dungeons in the game IMO. For starters, it has real music (an incredible theme based on "Answers"), and when you go into battle it ramps the music up like PSO instead of going to the generic dungeon theme. It's also really nice to look at.

Place is tough as nails, if you think Titan HM is hard you're in for a doozy here. That final boss is a pain in the neck.

The bloom totally fucks with your eyes after a while though.

Aeana

What a day.
Did 44-50 on scholar, did Chimera->Garuda on the relic quest chain, and also managed to beat turn 2 with my Coil group. Usually I can't play nearly that much in one day, but circumstances fell in place today and allowed it so I took advantage. Very productive day.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
On the subject of the story line, I almost wish
you could have had the option to side with Gaius when he asked you to. Would have made for an interesting turn of events. I mean... he did have some good points despite being a murderer after all...

Victrix

*beard*
On the subject of the story line, I almost wish
you could have had the option to side with Gaius when he asked you to. Would have made for an interesting turn of events. I mean... he did have some good points despite being a murderer after all...

Everyone you work with are murderers - I didn't disagree with him at all :D

Kokonoe

Banned
Speaking of story...

If everyone doesn't know what exactly happened during the Calamity, why didn't they ask Cid when he recovered his memories?

Really love this game except I never seem to see anyone else and end up doing fates with like 1 or 2 other people. Kinda sorry I rolled on Siren, not sure if any of the other severs have a better player base.

Varna

Speaking of story...

If everyone doesn't know what exactly happened during the Calamity, why didn't they ask Cid when he recovered his memories?

Really stupid oversight since they keep going on and on about
the heroes of light which they cannot remember

Totakeke

There's no real need to use provoke to pull, but it has more range than any other skills that tanks can use. I use it on AK rather than ask other people to fumble around pulling the succubus.

If they're holding aggro, why not just let them use provoke? It's no big deal really and could speed up your run.

Ken

There's no real need to use provoke to pull, but it has more range than any other skills that tanks can use. I use it on AK rather than ask other people to fumble around pulling the succubus.

If they're holding aggro, why not just let them use provoke? It's no big deal really and could speed up your run.

Wouldn't it start you off with 1 emnity point on the target versus however many shield lob generates? That should make it super easy for anyone else to pull from you until you can get 1 or 2 more GCDs off?

The succubus thing sure.

Hm. I'm not sure... Seems kind of odd he'd remember everything else except that specifically.

Why? Every other npc remembers who they are/their past, other then the things relating to the "warriors of light". His amnesia and the mass amnesia relating to the events of the end of the era are two different things.

Totakeke

Wouldn't it start you off with 1 emnity point on the target versus however many shield lob generates? That should make it super easy for anyone else to pull from you until you can get 1 or 2 more GCDs off?

The succubus thing sure.

Like I said, the main advantage is range. As long the tank knows how to work with it and hold aggro, who cares how much emnity it generates. I provoke pull patrolling Dullahans and then hit them more to hold aggro because if I don't everyone needs to wait for them to patrol back.

If the tank is not holding aggro, using provoke pull is the least of their problems.

Kokonoe

Banned
Why? Every other npc remembers who they are/their past, other then the things relating to the "warriors of light". His amnesia and the mass amnesia relating to the events of the end of the era are two different things.

Why would he have two separate amnesia?

Zaptruder

Banned

The succubus thing sure.

Provoke off GCD, so at worse you've just wasted it, rather than delayed enmity generation any.

I use to use 'voke as an opener - until I read the pally guide on the official forums. Because like someone else has said - the tool tips are rubbish.

Why would he have two separate amnesia?

The one relating to the end of the era is a mystery to everyone, including us, and will defiantly have story implications at some point since it also involves why the world is still around as well as the warriors of light. Basically a wizard did it. Cid's personal amnesia is the more standard type, where he probably hit his head or something, no wizards involved.

Ken

Like I said, the main advantage is range. As long the tank knows how to work with it and hold aggro, who cares how much emnity it generates. I provoke pull patrolling Dullahans and then hit them more to hold aggro because if I don't everyone needs to wait for them to patrol back.

If the tank is not holding aggro, using provoke pull is the least of their problems.

Yeah I don't know. I guess I just don't value the convenience of range as high as others do. I'd much rather save the provoke for when I've woken up and realized my macro ended minutes ago and provoke off the DPS or something.

Provoke off GCD, so at worse you've just wasted it, rather than delayed enmity generation any.

I use to use 'voke as an opener - until I read the pally guide on the official forums. Because like someone else has said - the tool tips are rubbish.

That's true I guess. Just seems like opening with Provoke is one of those things you do in dungeons that don't really matter to be honest.

Mupod

I didn't even think of using provoke to pull them, I'll try that next time.

Anyways I haven't been able to play the last few days because I wasn't home, also Pokemon. Is there a date for the patch/hotfix thing?

edit: looked it up myself, long maintenance tonight then. Thank god for Pokemon.

One reason to not use provoke to pull, other then for specialized things like out of range stuff that has a travel time, is because dps may take that as an indication to unload and you may still have a second before it gets in range for you actual hate granting range attack.

Well, since it's trash we're talking about, that's what stuns are for. Or the old fashioned way, letting them die until they learn.

One reason to not use provoke to pull, other then for specialized things like out of range stuff that has a travel time, is because dps may take that as an indication to unload and you may still have a second before it gets in range for you actual hate granting range attack.

It's like that time in VIII where I didn't kill him in time.

Does he kill everyone in the entire area? I was like not even inside the FATE circle and I still got 99999'd to death

KeRaSh

Now that I'm Lv 50 (DRG) what should my upgrade path look like?

Obviously I need to finish up the story first but should I then start running WP for iLv 55 gear to upgrade my AF, or should I go straight into CM / Prae to farm Tomes of Philosophy for Darklight gear?

Obviously I need to finish up the story first but should I then start running WP for iLv 55 gear to upgrade my AF, or should I go straight into CM / Prae to farm Tomes of Philosophy for Darklight gear?

Clear the story. Run AK till you lose your will to care, and cap on myth. Get your ifrit weapon whenever, and GC weapon after your first AK run to hold you over. Run whatever you want to get phi tomes. Run WP whenever, it doesn't mater cept for fun/quests.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Try Wanderer's Palace just for the ambiance and the Tonberries
If you get a an item or two for your DRG, cool

Next you will want to grind out 8 AK's weekly to cap your Myth requirement
1 AK run gives you 80 Philosophy and 40 Mythology, so 8 runs needed, even though you will lose the 20 (8 * 40 = 320 - 20 due to 300/300 cap)

Over here you will get your level 60 dungeon gear
Start grabbing pieces that are catered to you, your set is called Hetairos set, you can even cheat a little and borrow from the MNK set Peltast
Grab as many pieces as possible
Fulfill your 8 AK's first, get as much free gear as possible

Then try to do a few Ifrits (if you on Ultros and need a Shield Bash Whore, I'm a PLD @ your service) to get your lance

In between you can try to do a few CM's, don't go overboard and trying to go push for DL right off the bat
Best option is small progression, rather than eating the full serving in one go

Within 8 AK runs you should be at least 50% decked the fuck out, now if you did say 2-3 CM's here and there over the week, you will have enough to buy an accessory, always purchase an accessory that replaces the lowest end item you have, so say you never got the AK to drop you it's ring, grab the DL ring, but say your OK in the ring department and have 49, yet your choker/necklace is 39, replace that
Once you get enough of AK, you can farm the ever living shit out of CM and start your DL process

Every class needs at least 50+ CM's to be fully decked out in DL gear
If you got the gil, you can buy mats and get a crafter to hook you up with HQ gear that makes you bypass grabbing the DL gear, only thing that pushes it over the top is the materia slots and stuff you can add in them, just remember materia cost a fuck-ton for II-III versions and there is really a good chance your mender will fail a lot

I think it goes 100% for first 2, then 34% for 3rd, 22% for 4th, 12% last
(I maybe wrong on the number, but you should get the gist)

So yeah the game has good content, but when you have run CM like me 100+ times, shit gets a little mundane, AK because a GODDAMIT, can I get some sunshine up in this bitch!

Also this all may change tomorrow evening when we go into maintenance, hot fixes coming in
Might be good or might be hella bad

KeRaSh

Try Wanderer's Palace just for the ambiance and the Tonberries
If you get a an item or two for your DRG, cool

Next you will want to grind out 8 AK's weekly to cap your Myth requirement
1 AK run gives you 80 Philosophy and 40 Mythology, so 8 runs needed, even though you will lose the 20 (8 * 40 = 320 - 20 due to 300/300 cap)

Over here you will get your level 60 dungeon gear
Start grabbing pieces that are catered to you, your set is called Hetairos set, you can even cheat a little and borrow from the MNK set Peltast
Grab as many pieces as possible
Fulfill your 8 AK's first, get as much free gear as possible

Then try to do a few Ifrits (if you on Ultros and need a Shield Bash Whore, I'm a PLD @ your service) to get your lance

In between you can try to do a few CM's, don't go overboard and trying to go push for DL right off the bat
Best option is small progression, rather than eating the full serving in one go

Within 8 AK runs you should be at least 50% decked the fuck out, now if you did say 2-3 CM's here and there over the week, you will have enough to buy an accessory, always purchase an accessory that replaces the lowest end item you have, so say you never got the AK to drop you it's ring, grab the DL ring, but say your OK in the ring department and have 49, yet your choker/necklace is 39, replace that
Once you get enough of AK, you can farm the ever living shit out of CM and start your DL process

Every class needs at least 50+ CM's to be fully decked out in DL gear
If you got the gil, you can buy mats and get a crafter to hook you up with HQ gear that makes you bypass grabbing the DL gear, only thing that pushes it over the top is the materia slots and stuff you can add in them, just remember materia cost a fuck-ton for II-III versions and there is really a good chance your mender will fail a lot

I think it goes 100% for first 2, then 34% for 3rd, 22% for 4th, 12% last
(I maybe wrong on the number, but you should get the gist)

So yeah the game has good content, but when you have run CM like me 100+ times, shit gets a little mundane, AK because a GODDAMIT, can I get some sunshine up in this bitch!

Also this all may change tomorrow evening when we go into maintenance, hot fixes coming in
Might be good or might be hella bad

First of all, thank you for taking the time to spell it out for me.
Yes, I'm on Ultros (COrner Pressure) so you might see me begging for help when running things the first few times... :p
I was thinking about going straight to Darklight gear because people seem to flee whenever they see someone queue for AK with only AF gear. That way I'd mindnumbingly farm CM but I would avoid the death threats from speed runners.
With DL I'd probably be ready for Ifrit HM to get my lance drop there.
If people in the GAF FC don't mind AF gear in AK I might try to cap my Myth Tomes if possible.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to spell it out for me.
Yes, I'm on Ultros (COrner Pressure) so you might see me begging for help when running things the first few times... :p
I was thinking about going straight to Darklight gear because people seem to flee whenever they see someone queue for AK with only AF gear. That way I'd mindnumbingly farm CM but I would avoid the death threats from speed runners.
With DL I'd probably be ready for Ifrit HM to get my lance drop there.
If people in the GAF FC don't mind AF gear in AK I might try to cap my Myth Tomes if possible.

Few things. If you are worried about people caring what gear you have, you aren't going to get into many CM/Prae speedruns in af either. Ifrit is done by fresh lv 50s in AF though so don't be afraid to go there in af while killing time. You should be able to pick up a few of the AK gear in your 8 AK runs as well, so gear will be coming fast.

Gaf runs of all of these things do happen constantly though, and I've never seen someone get turned down because it being their first time/gear. Only if you are trying for Titan in af will people in the FC tell you to slow your roll.

Kokonoe

Banned
Looking at other MMOs on the market right now, it seems like FFXIV and Phantasy Star Online 2 (japan onry) are the only good ones, to me, anyways.

Vindictus is shallow, and too cash shoppy. Main thing that's good are the graphics, everything else isn't that good.

Tera's character customization has a lot be desired, and it's quest system is the ultimate standard you can get. At least with FFXIV's quest it's actually fun to read the quest dialogue and you can get a good laugh sometimes. The combat is kind of stale at times. It's not as actiony as they say, it's certainly not on par with PSO2. There also isn't really much to do besides dungeons. I also can't find myself to care about the world as the aesthetic of the world is quite bland. It's as if they put all of the effort into the character models of the ones you play as.

Dragon Nest is like the same song and dance from every other Nexon MMO or the cutesy styled 3D ones with low poly graphics. These types of games in my opinion tend to be designed for those who don't play that many games, because I simply cannot see the entertainment out of the utter blandness of the fighting.

Guild Wars 2 actually seemed decent for what it is, but for some reason, it didn't click with me. It looks like it gets a lot of loves from the devs, however. I will note that I don't like how you move in that game.

There's a bunch of overs I've been messing around with, but I guess it's making me see that Japan MMOs are still king despite the arrogance of Japanese developers.

Dunan

Yesterday one of the mainland-China gilsellers made a fool of himself when -- if I understand it correctly -- instead of spamming everybody with his messages, we instead got 没有取到廣告 (but with the simplified form of that 5th character, which I can't type on here), which means, if I'm reading it right, "Advertisement failed to load", followed by a four-character code.

I'm not complaining; this garbage takes up only one line, whereas their "real" messages take up the entire chat window!

KeRaSh

Few things. If you are worried about people caring what gear you have, you aren't going to get into many CM/Prae speedruns in af either. Ifrit is done by fresh lv 50s in AF though so don't be afraid to go there in af while killing time. You should be able to pick up a few of the AK gear in your 8 AK runs as well, so gear will be coming fast.

Gaf runs of all of these things do happen constantly though, and I've never seen someone get turned down because it being their first time/gear. Only if you are trying for Titan in af will people in the FC tell you to slow your roll.

Yeah, I'm not planning to get into any speedrun groups anytime soon. I'm not in a rush. I don't have that much time to play during the week so I might not even be able to get through 8 AK runs at all.
Hopefully I can lose my AK virginity with a few good hearted GAF FC members so I don't have to get yelled at the very first time I run a new dungeon.
I might look into getting my Ifrit weapon as soon as possible since that seems to help out a great deal.
Thanks for the pointers!

Looking at other MMOs on the market right now, it seems like FFXIV and Phantasy Star Online 2 (japan onry) are the only good ones, to me, anyways.

Vindictus is shallow, and too cash shoppy. Main thing that's good are the graphics, everything else isn't that good.

Tera's character customization has a lot be desired, and it's quest system is the ultimate standard you can get. At least with FFXIV's quest it's actually fun to read the quest dialogue and you can get a good laugh sometimes. The combat is kind of stale at times. It's not as actiony as they say, it's certainly not on par with PSO2. There also isn't really much to do besides dungeons. I also can't find myself to care about the world as the aesthetic of the world is quite bland. It's as if they put all of the effort into the character models of the ones you play as.

Dragon Nest is like the same song and dance from every other Nexon MMO or the cutesy styled 3D ones with low poly graphics. These types of games in my opinion tend to be designed for those who don't play that many games, because I simply cannot see the entertainment out of the utter blandness of the fighting.

Guild Wars 2 actually seemed decent for what it is, but for some reason, it didn't click with me. It looks like it gets a lot of loves from the devs, however. I will note that I don't like how you move in that game.

There's a bunch of overs I've been messing around with, but I guess it's making me see that Japan MMOs are still king despite the arrogance of Japanese developers.

Dragons Nest's combat deserves more credit then you give it, but is forever tainted by being under Nexon. It would be a really good just drop in and play game, and I enjoyed what I played of it a lot. There are a ton of skills for each class that you can chain together and all serve different purposes in relation to crowd grouping, target size and other variables. All that being said, Nexon, so it doesn't mater at all. Game could be made out of gold and candy and just being under Nexon would make it not worthwhile.

I agree and dissagree with you on Tera. The combat is fucking excellent and a step forward for mmos, but really really shines when you are doing things you probably shouldn't be expected to, like soloing BAMs. Something else really great about it was how they didn't lose sight of the trinity, but instead made it work in an action game. Such as how tanks not only keep agro, but physically bar things from attacking other people though their skill usage. The world is also full stop better then the one for this game in terms of explorability and depth. Quests are simple for the most part, like you say, though. The reason why I'm playing this game instead of it is also something you mentioned, ran out of things to do. It going F2P is why I can have no regrets about not returning to it as well, even if I think it was an overall better game. Still, FF14 is going to face the same problem, in regards to providing enough to do to warrant a continued subscription, and the only way it will provide a better experience is though longevity.

FF14 works right now because it still has potential. Sure it was probably rushed a bit out the gate (for a second time) but it has enough separation from other recent mmos releases and is still fresh enough to be exciting. The chance to not just stagnate with no content and provide something of value is worth the price of admission.

I'm actually most confused by your last comment though. Just going to have to assume a massive massive difference in taste since I can count on one hand, with most of the fingers broken, the amount of Japanese mmos that even sorta measured up to western efforts.

Kokonoe

Banned
Dragons Nest's combat deserves more credit then you give it, but is forever tainted by being under Nexon. It would be a really good just drop in and play game, and I enjoyed what I played of it a lot. There are a ton of skills for each class that you can chain together and all serve different purposes in relation to crowd grouping, target size and other variables. All that being said, Nexon, so it doesn't mater at all. Game could be made out of gold and candy and just being under Nexon would make it not worthwhile.

I agree and dissagree with you on Tera. The combat is fucking excellent and a step forward for mmos, but really really shines when you are doing things you probably shouldn't be expected to, like soloing BAMs. Something else really great about it was how they didn't lose sight of the trinity, but instead made it work in an action game. Such as how tanks not only keep agro, but physically bar things from attacking other people though their skill usage. The world is also full stop better then the one for this game in terms of explorability and depth. Quests are simple for the most part, like you say, though. The reason why I'm playing this game instead of it is also something you mentioned, ran out of things to do. It going F2P is why I can have no regrets about not returning to it as well, even if I think it was an overall better game. Still, FF14 is going to face the same problem, in regards to providing enough to do to warrant a continued subscription, and the only way it will provide a better experience is though longevity.

FF14 works right now because it still has potential. Sure it was probably rushed a bit out the gate (for a second time) but it has enough separation from other recent mmos releases and is still fresh enough to be exciting. The chance to not just stagnate with no content and provide something of value is worth the price of admission.

I'm actually most confused by your last comment though. Just going to have to assume a massive massive difference in taste since I can count on one hand, with most of the fingers broken, the amount of Japanese mmos that even sorta measured up to western efforts.

I mean Tera's combat is better than most free to play MMOs, but for me, it still has that MMO feel at the end. It's not terrible, but you have a game like Phantasy Star Online that gives you actual controlled action. Difference being one is open world and the other isn't, but PSO2 has some nice sized levels. The combat is Tera's shining point, but for someone who's played a lot of MMOs over the years, it wasn't enough to keep me playing it past the first month and even when I tried it months later, it wasn't drawing enough for me.

As far as the last bit, I find Japanese MMOs actually feel like I'm playing a 'game' and not a 'mmo'. MMO's usually have watered down combat systems compared to console/handheld games, like there are a few to the exception, but FFXI, Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online 2 and FFXIV to me feel like what I described before. I feel like I'm getting a single player game but it's also a MMO in terms of mechanics. Even Phantasy Star Universe, although, I didn't care for that one too much.

My issue with most western MMOs is usually I don't enjoy the combat in them. I did enjoy City of Villains, but that's been about the only western MMO I've enjoyed.

Quick question pertaining to Gladiator/Paladin.

Which is preferred when it comes to shields? Block strength or block rate?

block rate, i use the scorpion shield over the holy shield because of this, but often my teammates won't leave me alone about it when it comes to primals. "hold on guys, if altered juice doesn't want to try why should we? block rate doesn't matter shield strength matters way more!"

Ala Alba

The one relating to the end of the era is a mystery to everyone, including us, and will defiantly have story implications at some point since it also involves why the world is still around as well as the warriors of light. Basically a wizard did it. Cid's personal amnesia is the more standard type, where he probably hit his head or something, no wizards involved.

Cid does, in fact, remember the "Warriors of Light". Whereas Minfillia remembers because of the Echo, Cid remembers because of his third eye. He explicitly mentions this to Legacy players.

Zaptruder

Banned
block rate, i use the scorpion shield over the holy shield because of this, but often my teammates won't leave me alone about it when it comes to primals. "hold on guys, if altered juice doesn't want to try why should we? block rate doesn't matter shield strength matters way more!"

Block strength affects how much damage is mitigated on block.

But it's balanced such that you always want to take the shield with the biggest total number between BR and BS, unless it's equal, in which case go for BR.

Because damage mitigation is the most important stat for paladins - vitality right after.

Additional block rate is nice to have because you get shield proc more often... but if you're mitigating less total damage because you've got a shield with crap damage reduction, even if you block more often, then you're doing it wrong.

Reubeucent

Neo Member
Maybe I was lucky before but running Brayflox now as a WHM makes me weep in sorrow more than once, not like when I did it as a tank the first days of the game. Is like player skill is going backwards, maybe is just anecdotal evidence or maybe FATE explotation is breeding a new batch of awful players but the fact is strange the run I don't find an awful tank.

I see tanks using provoke for pulling, and when I told them they shouldn't use it that way i mostly got ignored. I see tanks so badly geared that I had to spam Cure II every 2 seconds on the first boss so they wouldn't die, running out of MP and wiping. I see tanks not using correctly flash or overpower so they lost hate on groups of mobs almost instantly.

The provoke problem is so widespread that is rare the time I don't see it used wrongly. I was running WP yesteday and the PLD kept using Provoke to pull, I mean lvl 50 at the guy dosn't even know that. He was truly awful, he was spamming Halone without even building the damn combo! he kept losing hate against the WHM and me (DRG). We basically carried him through the dungeon.

Of course he ignored most of my advises....

No wonder ppl is starting to sell Hydra to Titan wins....

And this is why I tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom