• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaccard

I honestly don't know what to do.

I've leveled up three classes, and I'm working on my fourth. My guild is doing CT and Extreme Primals.

I really don't think anyone wants to help me play catch up.

Should I just do end game dungeons, and hope I can keep up?

Play at your own pace and don't worry about trying to keep up with others. Use the resources the game has availible like DF, PF, and of course asking in your FC. Do what's fun, though it might help if you focus on one class and do content with that class for awhile so you can do endgame content with everyone else in your FC.

RK9039

I added my game on Steam, but the game crashes when I use the Steam one. Whatever. I just wanted to know if there were any cards. I want a Titan Steam wallpaper.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Hard to say without knowing what kind of games you like. It's worth trying though (you get 1 free month).

It's easy to pick up and there are tutorials for everything and lots of resources you can find online for help.

Generally not very good. There are friendly people leveling up. At level 50 (max level) the number of friendly people drops significantly but they do still exist. Finding a good Free Company (guild) is key to having a good time in terms of community.

Terrible. It can be entertaining to do once in a while. But it's terrible in terms of balance/"serious" competitive play.

No. But they put in a lot of nostalgia. It doesn't play anything like previous FFs and the story and the way it is told is nothing like previous FFs. It's not even similar to FFXI (the other FF MMORPG). The nostalgia elements added may make you feel like it's FF though. Many people say it does for them.

1. Yes.

2. 1-50 is easy, especially if you've played MMOs before. Endgame content has some steep learning curves on some fights.

3. Like any other MMO playerbase. Good and bad. If you're bad at games like this you will hear it from people, especially at level cap.

4. A distraction at best. This game is PvE focused.

5. Not really, unless you count XI, with which it shares being an MMO with a FF theme, but that's about it.
Thanks. I won't get free 30 days though as I bought the game back when it was crap :( before it was realm reborn

aceface

I'd say it plays like a FF in the sense that every FF plays differently. But it has a huuuuge amount of fan service from previous FFs which I love. I wouldn't be playing this game if it wasn't a mainline numbered entry in the series so all the shoutouts and FF trappings are hugely appreciated by me.

Teknoman

The FF feel comes from the jobs (of course), the focus on crystals, and just the general quality of the graphics and soundtrack (for me anyway). After going through Praetorium, that cemented the FF feel.

isual

its on steam right now for 14.99.

Can i still get the free 30 days since I only played the beta on ps3 ?

also, are all the servers cross platform ?

_woLf

So I'm interested in the XIV CE on steam...

If I buy it and apply the code to my current XIV account, would I get 30 days and the CE content?

I remember doing that with Aion back in the day so i'm curious.

Aeana

So I'm interested in the XIV CE on steam...

If I buy it and apply the code to my current XIV account, would I get 30 days and the CE content?

I remember doing that with Aion back in the day so i'm curious.
If you already own the PC version, you cannot apply the code to your account, so you'd get nothing. If you have the PS3 version, then the code will give you both 30 days and the CE content. This is why they offer the digital CE upgrade, for those who have the PC version but want the CE stuff.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
The FF feel comes from the jobs (of course), the focus on crystals, and just the general quality of the graphics and soundtrack (for me anyway). After going through Praetorium, that cemented the FF feel.

That and the primals (and their importance in the story). I mean can you get more Final Fantasy than Ifrit, Ramuh, Bahamut and co.

frequency

Thanks. I won't get free 30 days though as I bought the game back when it was crap :( before it was realm reborn

Well that's even better. Paying for a month of the "Entry" tier (only allowed 1 character per server) is £7.69 / 10.99 € / $12.99 USD. That's cheaper than buying the game. So you can just pay for a month and try it out.

Stuart444

if I buy this, can I play on ps4 as well ?

Nope, you buy PC version, you get access to PC version.

If you buy PS3 version now, you can get a free upgrade to PS4 version (but lose access to the PS3 version) when it's available.

You can have both PS3/4 and PC on your account at once if you decide to buy both.

Wilsongt

I've not played much of the game lately. I logged in on Saturday to run CT and cap my myth and grab my summoner pants. Then I logged in last night to run CT and try to crap my the royal gloves or shoes.

Between Lightning Returns, Bravely Default, Kingturn Underworld RPG, and no progress with Ruru EX/No coil group/Not being experienced with Ultima HM, I haven't had much of a reason to play lately.

=/

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey yall, I'm writing the OT for the PS4 Beta, and I'm looking for helpful resources for people who are totally new to the game. All I have so far are the original ARR OT by Ebil and this terms/abbreviations guide from Reddit. I also copied / pasted Kokonoe's list of GAF Free Companies and Linkshells for each server from this OT.

I imagine there are other resources I should include? I don't want to overload people with too much information. Just the basics to help them get oriented and playing with other GAFers. What do you think I should include? I'm new to the game myself, so I could use some help.

Thanks! I'm hoping to post the thread tomorrow morning.

WolvenOne

I've not played much of the game lately. I logged in on Saturday to run CT and cap my myth and grab my summoner pants. Then I logged in last night to run CT and try to crap my the royal gloves or shoes.

Between Lightning Returns, Bravely Default, Kingturn Underworld RPG, and no progress with Ruru EX/No coil group/Not being experienced with Ultima HM, I haven't had much of a reason to play lately.

=/

You shouldn't have much trouble finding a group capable of taking down Ultima HM at least. It's a fun fight, and there's usually a couple PF groups assembled every night for it.

Isaccard

=/

Sounds like a case of poor time management. Do yourself a favor and just watch the ending of LR on youtube.

Wilsongt

You shouldn't have much trouble finding a group capable of taking down Ultima HM at least. It's a fun fight, and there's usually a couple PF groups assembled every night for it.

Perhaps on Ultros, but on Sarg, the majority of PF for things like the EX Primals and Ultima is "Farm Group. Know your shit or get kicked." or variants thereof.

Sounds like a case of poor time management. Do yourself a favor and just watch the ending of LR on youtube.

Oh, I already know the ending. But, I already suffered through FFXIII 1 1/2 times, beaten XIII-2... Might as well finish what I started...

Perhaps on Ultros, but on Sarg, the majority of PF for things like the EX Primals and Ultima is "Farm Group. Know your shit or get kicked." or variants thereof.

That seems to be what most of the party finders I see are on Ultros are as well. But still half the group doesn't know what they're doing. Also, its usually the person who created the PF that is the worse one in the group, so its pretty funny sometimes.

Tabris

You say that, but we've personally been in examples where Ultima HM goes wrong quick.

dcye

Why do people asking about the game always ask if its worth the sub in the OT? The people in the OT are the most addicted ones, of course theyre going to say it's worth it.

WolvenOne

Over half the GAF groups I joined or created for Ultima HM wiped and couldn't finish.

Well the fight is a bit challenging, especially for healers. That said, "less than half," is a heck of a lot more successful than the typical success rate for random groups taking down Extreme Primals.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey yall, I'm writing the OT for the PS4 Beta, and I'm looking for helpful resources for people who are totally new to the game. All I have so far are the original ARR OT by Ebil and this terms/abbreviations guide from Reddit. I also copied / pasted Kokonoe's list of GAF Free Companies and Linkshells for each server from this OT.

I imagine there are other resources I should include? I don't want to overload people with too much information. Just the basics to help them get oriented and playing with other GAFers. What do you think I should include? I'm new to the game myself, so I could use some help.

Thanks! I'm hoping to post the thread tomorrow morning.
Hey yall, I could really use some help with this stuff!

Also, which servers are GAF members most active on? Ultros seems to be the big one, but any others?

Uthred

I picked up a copy of the PS3 version when it was cheap but havent redeemed it, do I need to do it before the PS4 version comes out to get the free PS4 upgrade? Dont really have the time at the moment to use the free month

BadRNG

Someone learning a fight fresh and experiencing the game as it was meant to be (rather than spoiling content through videos) is more important than me saving some time in the endless gear grind.

Expecting others to watch videos and read guides or whatever is selfish in my opinion. If you don't want new people like that then form a static of jerks with similar selfish interests. If you go into Duty Finder you can't impose stupid "research" requirements on people.

If you're using Party Finder/Shout make sure you mention how much of a jerk you are so people don't join for you to berate them for playing a game.
It's not about saving you time. It's about saving other people's time. When you do a dungeon for the first time, do you tell people you are new? Do you read any explanations they give or do you tell them to stuff it because you want to do it fresh? I'm guessing, or at least I hope, you don't. If that's the case, what is the difference between watching a video and reading a semi comprehensive text-dump? Expecting others to spend large amounts of time so you can "experience the game as it was meant to be" is far more selfish in my opinion. And do note I'm only talking about tougher end game content, everything up to maybe Garuda/Titan HM can be learned in a single attempt without much issue.

There are undoubtedly some jerks, and I'd never condone berating someone for any reason, but joining a group and expecting everyone to play around you is pretty selfish too. We can argue all day whether or not DF groups have unfair expectations, but we can't argue those expectations exist. Why waste a lot of time fighting that? It's like the whole Bone Dragon tanking spot. I think people who tank north are heretics and must be stopped, but I'm not going to fight it mid-instance because I don't want to waste a bunch of other people's time.

Premades (PF/FC/whatever)are generally the far better route for learning runs. Again you can argue that is unfair but it's undeniably the current environment.

Enthus

So I rebought this on Steam. My compulsiveness to have everything on Steam outweighed my judgement. I can give my redemption code to someone else though, right?

WolvenOne

So, I've been considering converting all my defensive CD's into Macro's to alert the healers that they're in use. Would this indeed be helpful to healers, or would it just be a waste of effort?

So, I've been considering converting all my defensive CD's into Macro's to alert the healers that they're in use. Would this indeed be helpful to healers, or would it just be a waste of effort?
The only one that would matter to me is knowing is knowing when Convalescence is up to know I'm supposed to use the bigger heals, and even then I'll be too busy looking at the party list to actually notice the macro - plus I'd see you using it anyways. So IMO not worth the effort.

gryvan

Thats fine. I personally just say something in mumble during a raid if I'm popping hollowed or convalesce

frequency

It's not about saving you time. It's about saving other people's time. When you do a dungeon for the first time, do you tell people you are new? Do you read any explanations they give or do you tell them to stuff it because you want to do it fresh? I'm guessing, or at least I hope, you don't. If that's the case, what is the difference between watching a video and reading a semi comprehensive text-dump? Expecting others to spend large amounts of time so you can "experience the game as it was meant to be" is far more selfish in my opinion. And do note I'm only talking about tougher end game content, everything up to maybe Garuda/Titan HM can be learned in a single attempt without much issue.

There are undoubtedly some jerks, and I'd never condone berating someone for any reason, but joining a group and expecting everyone to play around you is pretty selfish too. We can argue all day whether or not DF groups have unfair expectations, but we can't argue those expectations exist. Why waste a lot of time fighting that? It's like the whole Bone Dragon tanking spot. I think people who tank north are heretics and must be stopped, but I'm not going to fight it mid-instance because I don't want to waste a bunch of other people's time.

Premades (PF/FC/whatever)are generally the far better route for learning runs. Again you can argue that is unfair but it's undeniably the current environment.

I didn't look at videos or read when I learned and figured things out with everyone else. It's selfish for me to expect then that people who weren't playing at launch or are slower at leveling would need to do research to play the game. Explaining in game is different to me than looking at some wiki. It is social and it is within the game. It is not extracurricular work as tutorials and videos are.

If it's DF I expect all sorts of people to join and I do not put unrealistic expectations on them to research. It's selfish for me to expect extra work from people just so I can get through stuff faster. Their experience is more important than my saved time in the endless end game gear grind.

If I don't have patience for new people then I need to go look for like-minded individuals to form a static group or make it clear what I want in PF so people can avoid me if they want to just play the game rather than satisfy my unfair expectations.

Whenever they add new content and I go do it, I'll continue as I always have. I will play the game instead of researching and watching videos. I have zero tolerance for jerks who value their time above everyone else. You can say I am selfish in that but if I have to choose between:
1) being selfish by believing everyone deserves to play the game without harassment or,
2) being selfish by believing my time is more important than your experience,
I'll choose the first option.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The latter
Oh, awesome. I somehow got it in my head that it was a list of ALL existing servers.

Can you tell I have no idea what I'm doing? :)

I'm gonna post the Beta OT tonight instead of tomorrow, I think. I'll link it here. If yall could take a look at it and make sure I didn't make any huge mistakes, that'd be appreciated.

WolvenOne

The only one that would matter to me is knowing is knowing when Convalescence is up to know I'm supposed to use the bigger heals, and even then I'll be too busy looking at the party list to actually notice the macro - plus I'd see you using it anyways. So IMO not worth the effort.

Well there's Thrill of Battle as well, since that raises your max HP by 20% and one time heals you the same amount. I already have a macro for that, though, I initially put it in mainly for Lols.

"I've just used Thrill of Battle, therefore my HP is OVER NIIINE THOUSAAAAAND!!!"

But, yeah, might be a good idea to create a little announcement for Convalescence as well.

Thats fine. I personally just say something in mumble during a raid if I'm popping hollowed or convalesce

Well, being a controller user, holding down the Push to Speak button on the keyboard while playing is kinda difficult. The less I have to do it, the better.

I didn't look at videos or read when I learned and figured things out with everyone else. It's selfish for me to expect then that people who weren't playing at launch or are slower at leveling would need to do research to play the game. Explaining in game is different to me than looking at some wiki. It is social and it is within the game. It is not extracurricular work as tutorials and videos are.

If it's DF I expect all sorts of people to join and I do not put unrealistic expectations on them to research. It's selfish for me to expect extra work from people just so I can get through stuff faster. Their experience is more important than my saved time in the endless end game gear grind.

If I don't have patience for new people then I need to go look for like-minded individuals to form a static group or make it clear what I want in PF so people can avoid me if they want to just play the game rather than satisfy my unfair expectations.

Whenever they add new content and I go do it, I'll continue as I always have. I will play the game instead of researching and watching videos. I have zero tolerance for jerks who value their time above everyone else. You can say I am selfish in that but if I have to choose between:
1) being selfish by believing everyone deserves to play the game without harassment or,
2) being selfish by believing my time is more important than your experience,
I'll choose the first option.
You're forgetting other people's times is also related to their experiences. Getting wiped never, ever feels good and some fights - specially playing DPS on primals - will have you wasting 20~30 minutes because you couldn't be bothered to read a text for 3 minutes.

Sure people should never, ever be dicks about it - I particularly loathe people with those shitty strike systems, blacklisting you if you die - but if you can't be bothered to at least ask people stuff you should look out for how is that not harassing 23 other players for no reason? I'll argue that DF should never set up any expectations, but a modicum of respect to actually want to help the 23 people with you win instead of trying to figure out on your own and making them miserable is just arrogantly selfish. If people aren't harassing you you owe them at least that because you're not beating that stuff on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom