• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Well, being a controller user, holding down the Push to Speak button on the keyboard while playing is kinda difficult. The less I have to do it, the better.

Get a PS4 controller and use the touchpad button as push-to-talk. It's what I do and each hand can comfortably activate it depending on where I am at in my rotation.

So, I've been considering converting all my defensive CD's into Macro's to alert the healers that they're in use. Would this indeed be helpful to healers, or would it just be a waste of effort?

IMO you should add a clever text and sound que to every skill you have to add more flavor to the game. Make sure that the text reports to appropriate channels according to the skill, be it /fc or /sh.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
You're forgetting other people's times is also related to their experiences. Getting wiped never, ever feels good and some fights - specially playing DPS on primals - will have you wasting 20~30 minutes because you couldn't be bothered to read a text for 3 minutes.

Sure people should never, ever be dicks about it - I particularly loathe people with those shitty strike systems, blacklisting you if you die - but if you can't be bothered to at least ask people stuff you should look out for how is that not harassing 23 other players for no reason? I'll argue that DF should never set up any expectations, but a modicum of respect to actually want to help the 23 people with you win instead of trying to figure out on your own and making them miserable is just selfish for no reason. If people aren't harassing you you owe them at least that because you're not beating that stuff on your own.

The strike systems are the best ways I found to get through the hard content during the first week. (other than twin, that fight takes way too much group learning to do a strike system for your initial clear)

frequency

You're forgetting other people's times is also related to their experiences. Getting wiped never, ever feels good and some fights - specially DPS on primals - will have you wasting 20~30 minutes because you couldn't be bothered to read a text for 3 minutes.

Sure people should never, ever be dicks about it - I particularly loathe people with those shitty strike systems, blacklisting you if you die - but if you can't be bothered to at least ask people stuff you should look out for how is that not harassing 23 other players for no reason? And if you're going to ask, why not just read something on the fight?

I don't condone ignoring in game advice. I'm talking about reading wikis and looking at youtube videos ahead of time because people can't be bothered to spend 3 minutes to talk to you in game as a fellow human.

If people want to have a specific experience (no wipes) they should look for that and be clear what they are looking for. In something as random as DF, you can't expect people to bend to your specific desires.

Feel free to put harsh requirements on your PF/static forming attempts. If an inexperienced or learning player tries to join you when you make it clear what you want, then it is their own fault if you're going to respond unpleasantly of course.

I also have zero tolerance for people who refuse to listen to advice you give them in game. Or people who join a progression guild but refuse to properly prepare via potion farming, gemming, enchantments, or whatever else the game has.

I don't condone ignoring in game advice. I'm talking about reading wikis and looking at youtube videos ahead of time because people can't be bothered to spend 3 minutes to talk to you in game as a fellow human.

If people want to have a specific experience (no wipes) they should look for that and be clear what they are looking for. In something as random as DF, you can't expect people to bend to your specific desires.

Feel free to put harsh requirements on your PF/static forming attempts. If an inexperienced or learning player tries to join you when you make it clear what you want, then it is their own fault if you're going to respond unpleasantly of course.
Like I said, I don't condone any sort of harassment, but as said above if you're going to ask on pointers at the beginning of a duty, what's the difference between that and just reading a 3 minute guide while the duty forms up? But if you don't want to read, that's fine as long as you actually ask for advice, no one is giving it out for free but many players won't mind actually teaching you, that's how I did my first CT run and didn't die once.

Also no wipes isn't a "specific experience". You don't enter a duty because you want to die, you enter because you want to win. Sure people being a dicks about wipes is really bad, but people expecting you to actually not make people get wiped is that unreasonable?

I don't get your point, are you saying some people like to go completely blind, not even wanting to ask for any sort of advice and learning through the fight itself and they should be allowed to do so, fuck what other people might think about it?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Like I said, I don't condone any sort of harassment, but as said above if you're going to ask on pointers at the beginning of a duty, what's the difference between that and just reading a 3 minute guide while the duty forms up? But if you don't want to read, that's fine as long as you actually ask for advice, no one is giving it out for free but many players won't mind actually teaching you, that's how I did my first CT run and didn't die once.

Also no wipes isn't a "specific experience". You don't enter a duty because you want to die, you enter because you want to win. I don't get your point, are you saying some people like to go completely blind, not even wanting to ask for any sort of advice and learning through the fight itself and they should be allowed to do so, fuck what other people might think about it?

Research ruins some people's "immersion". Those people rage hard when you give them the boot for halting the other 7 member's progress because their view clashes with the rest.

frequency

Also no wipes isn't a "specific experience". You don't enter a duty because you want to die, you enter because you want to win. I don't get your point, are you saying some people like to go completely blind, not even wanting to ask for any sort of advice and learning through the fight itself and they should be allowed to do so, fuck what other people might think about it?

Basically I'm just against people imposing their play style in a random environment where any possible player type may join. Impose all you want in a controlled environment and if anyone tries to ruin that then I can't blame you if you respond harshly.

Refusal to learn at all and just doing whatever you want is dumb but that's not what I'm talking about.

Looking at stuff on some website and listening to another player explain to you in game are completely different experiences to me.
"Here is what you need to avoid," in game is different than watching a video of an encounter which spoils the first time experience for many players.

"No wipes" is a specific experience when people looking for it will blame and boot anyone when a wipe occurs.

Basically I'm just against people imposing their play style in a random environment where any possible player type may join. Impose all you want in a controlled environment and if anyone tries to ruin that then I can't blame you if you respond harshly.

Refusal to learn at all and just doing whatever you want is dumb but that's not what I'm talking about.

Looking at stuff on some website and listening to another player explain to you in game are completely different experiences to me.
"Here is what you need to avoid," in game is different than watching a video of an encounter which spoils the first time experience for many players.
Well, I agree with you then.

All I ask is that people that don't know the fight to at least ask how to play the fight. Other things don't matter and they can just play the way they want. I'll go the extra mile and take 20 more minutes to beat a raid as long as they're willing to learn.

Dizzy-4U

Re-bought this on Steam because well, I'm an idiot. Time to go back in once again. I hope I wasn't kicked from the Ultros GAF Guild, we'll see.

dramatis

Hey yall, I'm writing the OT for the PS4 Beta, and I'm looking for helpful resources for people who are totally new to the game. All I have so far are the original ARR OT by Ebil and this terms/abbreviations guide from Reddit. I also copied / pasted Kokonoe's list of GAF Free Companies and Linkshells for each server from this OT.

I imagine there are other resources I should include? I don't want to overload people with too much information. Just the basics to help them get oriented and playing with other GAFers. What do you think I should include? I'm new to the game myself, so I could use some help.

Thanks! I'm hoping to post the thread tomorrow morning.
I think you got most of the basics down.

Ultimately, players themselves have to want to improve beyond that, and ask around about specifics. That's part of the fun.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think you got most of the basics down.

Ultimately, players themselves have to want to improve beyond that, and ask around about specifics. That's part of the fun.
Totally. I'm saying as much in the thread: "Just go with the flow and don't worry if you're a little lost." There's plenty of room for error, especially with Phase 1 characters being wiped.

chrono01

The next thing for Bookey's group that will drop will be another SMN book, just another sign for Makoto to level SMN. Or something else other than pew pew!
The game will never force me into it. It will not! I will remain strong.

Our second Twintania kill went much more pleasantly than our first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc4hrARuJn0

Yeah, this time we actually knew what was coming and everyone was able to bail the fuck out when they saw liquid hells landing on top of me and it was a clean kill.
Nicely done! Congrats again on your kill(s)!

i got scepter!!!
wooooooooooooooooooooo
The BLM Scepter? I am envious.

How can you believe somebody that has a FFXIII avatar?
Not just the avatar, but look at the smile Lightning is giving.

She is not to be trusted.

BadRNG

"No wipes" is a specific experience when people looking for it will blame and boot anyone when a wipe occurs.
It's not a completely random environment though, the vast majority of DF players will either know the fight to some degree or have cleared it before. Most people will also expect you have some idea of what you are doing.

I don't get "the different experiences" angle. You will be spoiled on the mechanics either way, one way is just generally more thorough and will save a lot of time for fights with multiple/complex mechanics. I say this as some who has typed up and explained fights in wall of /p texts many many times.

"Learning run with a lot of wipes" is also a specific experience some people may be looking for, an experience the vast majority of DF users do not want to go through. This is not always fair, and from what I hear a lot of DF people are brutally impatient/mean about it, but this is kind of the point. Why waste other people's time when you know this is what they expect? Why not take the extra 5-10 minutes to study up beforehand? If you insist on a learning run they have PF runs for that all the time, and at least there you know people will be more willing to stick around.

I have a feeling we will end up having to agree to disagree, because I fundamentally find what you are suggesting just the same as those "jerks" by forcing your playstyle on the majority who don't want to play that way. At the very least however I hope you can come to understand that not everyone who is not in the mood for a multihour learning experience for content they already learned is some elitist jerk. Some people just don't have the time, or don't want to reinvest that time. Or similarly, the equation that all of those people are also always assholes who berate others for the smallest mistakes.

The game will never force me into it. It will not! I will remain strong.
We should have you level every class. This way if we are ever getting too much of a specific role in drops we can have you go it and they will all disappear. Game the system to our advantage!

Alucrid

Banned
Grats, and you picked up duo-tanking on Hydra pretty quick, a lot better than some other people I've tanked that fight with :lol

You might be able to adjust gear a bit for a few points more of ss/det/crit by considering the EM primal accessories or Hero's but you're looking at probably single digit DPS differences if you're i90 because STR (assuming 100% acc) is the most important.

Allagan claws
Melee circlet
Allagan body / gloves / belt
Bananapants
Allagan boots
Allagan rings, maiming choker and ear, striking bracelets

I'm just missing the allagan body for this set which I built before EM primals were released but it's still a solid set. Will put me at perfect ACC and SS with a load of DET and some decent crit (considering uptime of IR and Bootshine's auto-crit, I prefer to go for DET more than crit but crit shouldn't be ignored). I eat HQ buttons for additional DET boost.

It's important to keep enough SS for around a 2.1 GCD for your rotations, so I need to test again but I think the allagan maiming bracelets would put my SS too low going from Melee Cyclas to allagan body (a loss of 24 SS, whenever I get the drop). If not, then all 4 allagan maiming are better (that's what I'm using right now, with banana body, since we only get tank and bard shit from turn 5).

This set gives you
STR 224
VIT 180
ACC 132 (IIRC 341 is the base ACC for a level 50 character so this puts you at a sweet spot)
Crit 168 (which sounds like a lot but this set isn't even going out of its way for crit; you get 73 just from allagan weapon and body alone)
SS 48
DET 74

Swapping allagan bracelets you get SS 32 and DET 85.

You could look for something else to swap on head piece to make up the ACC you'd need so that you could keep the allagan visor's DET, but your only other i90 ACC options for slots that don't already have DET on them are... Hero's bracelet (11ACC/11DET, so not enough on its own unless you ate ACC food). You could get EM ifrit bracelet for the ACC and lose the DET from allagan bracelet, netting you 4 DET from allagan visor at a loss of 10 crit. If you have excess ACC (like, with relic+1) the titan EM earrings are better than allagan but since we're talking BiS here then we're assuming you're building a set around allagan claws meaning you need more ACC from other slots.

Anyway, is it BiS? Maybe not. When you have the game's toughest content on farm does it really matter if it's a few DET shy of BiS? Nooooope.
Thanks for this, although it's a bit much for my hamster brain to handle. I'll probably just go with whatever looks the best.

omlet

Thanks for this, although it's a bit much for my hamster brain to handle. I'll probably just go with whatever looks the best.

Unfortunately all-allagan leaves you like 50 accuracy short of what you need for coil. Probably gotta wear some banana unless you're doing easy stuff and don't need the accuracy. I actually like how banana tunic goes with allagan gloves and boots...but bananapants with allagan everything else will look dorky as hell which is one reason I want the pants for town gear XD

BadRNG

Has there been any new classes announced yet?
Nope. I think they mentioned once they were thinking of introducing new jobs before expansions, but since we haven't heard anything about it for 2.2 it likely won't be till 2.3 at earliest.

I'm not sure we've heard much of anything in regards to 2.3 and on actually, a good chunk of 2.1/2 is stuff they've been talking about since before launch.

Jomjom

Banned
So if I never bought a PC version (but did do the upgrade from 1.0 to ARR), I can't buy the Steam version and still get my 30 days?

I really would like the Steam version of the game and I pay for multi-character account anyway, so $14.99 for a month added to my subscription and getting the Steam version would be ideal.

Jomjom

Banned
Uh-oh... half of our guild just got disconnected on Adamantoise and can't get back in. o_O;

6001 error now too when trying to connect.

Wait there's a GAF FC on Adamantoise?!?!?!

If so can a fellow gaffer join? My FC which consisted of FFXI players from Garuda basically collapsed (not really, but everyone just crafts and everybody else's ilvl is too low to do anything).

Shouta

Easier way to think about it is, "Do I hit the accuracy cap for the content I'm doing?"

I think 482 or something is like the cap for T5 Coil, so as long as you can hit that with your gear, you can choose whatever pieces you want. I'm about to do that for my Monk using only Myth Tomes and Allagan pieces from T1-4 right now but I can fiddle with it if I go after primal accessories and the like.

Tho, tbh. I'll probably be quitting a bit after 2.2 drops unless they bring something exciting into the mix which looks to be unlikely.

Pardon my ignorance, but I've just joined a free company by invite and I'm not totally clear on what that means for me?

I read the Active Help entry but I'm still not totally clear?

Gonna finally get around to ARR I think. Played a little bit of the beta but haven't really played since the original game.

Is the Ultros LS still fairly active? Hard to know what server to go to with so many different GAF LS.

Fehyd

Banned
Easier way to think about it is, "Do I hit the accuracy cap for the content I'm doing?"

I think 482 or something is like the cap for T5 Coil, so as long as you can hit that with your gear, you can choose whatever pieces you want. I'm about to do that for my Monk using only Myth Tomes and Allagan pieces from T1-4 right now but I can fiddle with it if I go after primal accessories and the like.

Tho, tbh. I'll probably be quitting a bit after 2.2 drops unless they bring something exciting into the mix which looks to be unlikely.

As I recall, there was some new info recently that accuracy is based on positioning. So depending on which job and role, 462 might even be enough accuracy for coil. Most of the misses people have seen have been in AOE's (which use the frontal accuracy rating) and snakes in T5 (which move around a lot).

Kinda throws a wrench into a ton of BiS lists.

Dizzy-4U

Did they add level 45-50 quests in the last couple of months? Now I remember where my character was at and I was not enjoying the fate grinding so much.

Basically it's to make friends, use the housing system and you get a few bonuses like a company chest to store and share stuff and some active buffs for FC members.

How lovely :) Thanks

Playing on the PS3 I wish I could sync up the log window to my laptop and type stuff in there. I'm so goddamn slow at using it because of typing with a controller.

Kenai

Nope. I think they mentioned once they were thinking of introducing new jobs before expansions, but since we haven't heard anything about it for 2.2 it likely won't be till 2.3 at earliest.

I'm not sure we've heard much of anything in regards to 2.3 and on actually, a good chunk of 2.1/2 is stuff they've been talking about since before launch.

We do know one fairly important thing about 2.3 in that
Ramuh and Shiva
are coming. I also assume they will continue to release additional beastman dailies in the future too.

Did they add level 45-50 quests in the last couple of months? Now I remember where my character was at and I was not enjoying the fate grinding so much.

Technically yes since the beastman dailies are around there. They also made dungeons give more exp even when not using the daily roulette.

frequency

It's not a completely random environment though, the vast majority of DF players will either know the fight to some degree or have cleared it before. Most people will also expect you have some idea of what you are doing.

I don't get "the different experiences" angle. You will be spoiled on the mechanics either way, one way is just generally more thorough and will save a lot of time for fights with multiple/complex mechanics. I say this as some who has typed up and explained fights in wall of /p texts many many times.

"Learning run with a lot of wipes" is also a specific experience some people may be looking for, an experience the vast majority of DF users do not want to go through. This is not always fair, and from what I hear a lot of DF people are brutally impatient/mean about it, but this is kind of the point. Why waste other people's time when you know this is what they expect? Why not take the extra 5-10 minutes to study up beforehand? If you insist on a learning run they have PF runs for that all the time, and at least there you know people will be more willing to stick around.

I have a feeling we will end up having to agree to disagree, because I fundamentally find what you are suggesting just the same as those "jerks" by forcing your playstyle on the majority who don't want to play that way. At the very least however I hope you can come to understand that not everyone who is not in the mood for a multihour learning experience for content they already learned is some elitist jerk. Some people just don't have the time, or don't want to reinvest that time. Or similarly, the equation that all of those people are also always assholes who berate others for the smallest mistakes

That's fine. We can disagree.

I still choose the "selfish jerk" option where I am patient with people and understanding when they're learning while I play with them. You're free the choose the option that puts unreasonable demands on others to play the way you deem acceptable.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Any word on a digital CE for the ps4 version? I totally want that fat chocobo mount, and while I would love a physical copy, don't want to deal with SE's online store for that.

Stupid, really stupid question but with my dots as SMN, I usually refresh them after the last dot is remaining with like 6 seconds left but am I doing this horribly wrong and instead should I refresh every dot when it's about to drop? My dps keeps parsing so low and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong...

Aeana

Any word on a digital CE for the ps4 version? I totally want that fat chocobo mount, and while I would love a physical copy, don't want to deal with SE's online store for that.

You can use the digital upgrade through the Mogstation for any account. All CE accounts are getting those CE rewards, including the fat chocobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom