• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT3| LFT Full Relic and DL Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

omlet

Stupid, really stupid question but with my dots as SMN, I usually refresh them after the last dot is remaining with like 6 seconds left but am I doing this horribly wrong and instead should I refresh every dot when it's about to drop? My dps keeps parsing so low and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong...

Don't reapply until it's about to drop off, like <3 seconds. Unless situation calls for you to have fresh dots for something specific, like to bane onto adds you know are about to spawn, or something.

AmyS

Go download the FFXIV PS4 beta version from PS Store if you want it. It's up worldwide apparently.

Got it:

WZRRKN2.jpg

scosher

Stupid, really stupid question but with my dots as SMN, I usually refresh them after the last dot is remaining with like 6 seconds left but am I doing this horribly wrong and instead should I refresh every dot when it's about to drop? My dps keeps parsing so low and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong...

Never clip DoT's. There are hardly any situations that call for it, except maybe Conflag. Even then, if your DoT's have 6 seconds left when Conflag spawns, that's enough to bane and burst it down.

You should be casting Bio 2 and Miasma when they have about 1-2 seconds left on their duration, as that would reapply it as soon as it drops off. Same goes for Shadowflare. It's better to be safe and refresh when it's at 1 second, since the server-side DoT calculation tends to mislead you about how much time is actually remaining.

As I recall, there was some new info recently that accuracy is based on positioning. So depending on which job and role, 462 might even be enough accuracy for coil. Most of the misses people have seen have been in AOE's (which use the frontal accuracy rating) and snakes in T5 (which move around a lot).

Kinda throws a wrench into a ton of BiS lists.

I roll with 456 ACC and I can't recall ever missing against Twintania when attacking from the side or back. The accuracy cap matters less for Monks 99% of the time because we can just throw another of the same attack and not drop anything most times, but yeah. This and the +21 DET outweighing the -4 STR are the reasons I purposefully wear the Fuma Koromo over the Melee Cyclas (until I get an Allagan Cuirass anyway). It's just better for DPS.

For DRG or a class where missing = dropping a combo I'd go a little higher, but in general back and flank seem to take way less ACC, as the new info suggests.

aceface

Again it means purchasing a separate keyboard, when I have one built into the laptop that I already have next to me. Having two keyboards seems superfluous.

If you plan on spending any time on this game, a laptop is going to be necessary. Lots of later content depends on party coordination and pecking out messages on the controller is just too slow.

Although now that I said that I'm remembering that Lucifer Infernum does it so I guess it is possible. Much easier with a keyboard though. I got a cheap Bluetooth one for $20 off amazon.

Never clip DoT's. There are hardly any situations that call for it, except maybe Conflag. Even then, if your DoT's have 6 seconds left when Conflag spawns, that's enough to bane and burst it down.

You should be casting Bio 2 and Miasma when they have about 1-2 seconds left on their duration, as that would reapply it as soon as it drops off. Same goes for Shadowflare. It's better to be safe and refresh when it's at 1 second, since the server-side DoT calculation tends to mislead you about how much time is actually remaining.

Well now I look like an idiot cat, thanks! I'll be sure to put that more into practice.

I just bought the PC version on Steam and am using a Dualshock 4 but I'm having trouble with the bindings. The buttons are mapped incorrectly (ie. pressing circle on my DS4 is pressing what the game sees as "X" or cross).

I tried changing the bindings of the gamepad in the settings but when it says press any key, nothing happens when I press the button on my controller that I want to map it to.

Any ideas?

FFXIV on Steam
A few details for people that already own a copy of the Windows version, but are interested in getting it on Steam:

You cannot register your existing key to activate the Steam copy. You have to rebuy the game on Steam.

The Steam library icon is the same for the standard and CE version.

The game includes a new game key but it will not add game time to your existing account.

The client will install into a new directory with your other Steam apps.

You have to redownload the client. It was around 8.5 GB for me.

All your settings including UI, HUD, etc. are saved. You can safely uninstall the Windows version either before or after you install the Steam version. Just to be safe, you can back everything up through the config option in the launcher before uninstalling.

When you uninstall the Windows version, everything in "My Documents" like your FFXIV screenshots will be saved.

When you launch the game, it loads the launcher and then you can log in normally with your existing account. There is no need to add the new game key to your account and I would advise against doing this.

I'm not sure if patches will be downloaded via Steam or the launcher. I should be able to test this tomorrow, but I suspect it will use the launcher. I didn't have to redownload any patches when I launched the Steam version, but I'm guessing the data for the patches were stored in My Documents or rolled into the initial download as the current version of the client.

RK9039

FFXIV on Steam
A few details for people that already own a copy of the Windows version, but are interested in getting it on Steam:

You cannot register your existing key to activate the Steam copy. You have to rebuy the game on Steam.

The Steam library icon is the same for the standard and CE version.

The game includes a new game key but it will not add game time to your existing account.

The client will install into a new directory with your other Steam apps.

You have to redownload the client. It was around 8.5 GB for me.

All your settings including UI, HUD, etc. are saved. You can safely uninstall the Windows version either before or after you install the Steam version. Just to be safe, you can back everything up through the config option in the launcher before uninstalling.

When you uninstall the Windows version, everything in "My Documents" like your FFXIV screenshots will be saved.

When you launch the game, it loads the launcher and then you can log in normally with your existing account. There is no need to add the new game key to your account and I would advise against doing this.

I'm not sure if patches will be downloaded via Steam or the launcher. I should be able to test this tomorrow, but I suspect it will use the launcher. I didn't have to redownload any patches when I launched the Steam version, but I'm guessing the data for the patches were stored in My Documents or rolled into the initial download as the current version of the client.

Are there any Steam cards?

WolvenOne

Ugh, internet blinked out for just a second, and now I can't log back into the game. (Been nearly 15 minutes now.)

Almost had a full Ifrit EM party ready too. D:

zulfate

ok i bought off steam ($15 is too good to pass up)

now i am a bit confused for the GAF guilds, i guess there are multiple? is there a "main" guild.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is it going to feel weird starting this game months late? I bought the CE at launch and haven't played the game yet.

CLBridges

Finally made some progress today on completing my Relic weapon quest. Unlocked Garuda HM and through DF beat her on the first try. I was surprised how simple the mechanics were for that fight. I beat her a few more times and will keep trying for the Primal Weapon drop. Unlocked Titan HM and thought, "I can do this, my ilvl is 66", but I was wrong. Titan HM is pretty brutal, but I think with the right group I can complete it. The mechanics of the fight seem pretty straight-forward, we just didn't do enough DPS on the heart. You know what happens next :).

Next, I queued for Ultima just for kicks. My goodness, I was getting my ass handed to me. So much going on at one time, I couldn't process it. After the first wipe I told my party I was voluntarily leaving because I would only hinder them and really needed to read up and watch some videos of that fight. Oh well, I'll play a little bit tomorrow and see if I can possibly get Titan HM done.

Number45

I hear beat on ps4 if so tomorrow I will try it.
Tempted to try the PS4 beta, but my head's telling me I might as well use the time to play more of the PS3 version instead. At least until the second phase anyway, as I believe the characters are wiped after the first phase.

=(

Holy cow do I suck at SMN. Based on what the others told me, I know what I'm doing wrong (hopefully) but massive apologies to anyone who had to deal with my awful dps.

Back to the drawing board.

Eusis

Tempted to try the PS4 beta, but my head's telling me I might as well use the time to play more of the PS3 version instead. At least until the second phase anyway, as I believe the characters are wiped after the first phase.
I mainly just want to see how the PS4 beta looks. But outside of maybe exploring the Limsa Lominsa beginner quest chain there isn't really much reason to bother before the full release.

Number45

I mainly just want to see how the PS4 beta looks. But outside of maybe exploring the Limsa Lominsa beginner quest chain there isn't really much reason to bother before the full release.
It can't look worse than the PS3 version. I'm thinking if I play a couple of months on the PC version the PS4 version at launch will be a breath of fresh air!

Is that quest not available outside of the beta?

EDIT: Doing what I promised myself I wouldn't do - spending time reading about the game rather than playing it! Oh well, I have the next couple of days off so I'm going to give it some loving.

Couple questions if people are willing...

1: I understand that PC/PS3/PS4 are going to share servers, characters, all that. I assume though I would need to purchase it again to play on PC if I got it on PS4? Does the game play well on PS3 or would I be better served playing on PC? Downloading the PS4 beta now.

2: I'm really hesitant about picking this up given the time that has passed since launch. Is this noob friendly? I have plenty of experience in WoW, LotRO, EQ, SWtOR.

So I made a Thaumaturge on Ultros. Just hit level 10. I enjoy the way the class plays with Astral Fire\Astral Ice, it's a nifty mechanic. Not sure if anyone else is just starting but if so and you want to group up or something let me know.

Number45

1: I understand that PC/PS3/PS4 are going to share servers, characters, all that. I assume though I would need to purchase it again to play on PC if I got it on PS4? Does the game play well on PS3 or would I be better served playing on PC? Downloading the PS4 beta now.
You need to pick it up for each version you want to play. The PS3 version is pretty ugly (technically) from what I've seen of it so far, but I'm trying to stick to it (and the PS4 version in future) because I don't really play on the PC. If you have no issue with playing on the PC, it's a no-brainer. Extra screen real estate makes a massive difference in an MMO in my experience.

2: I'm really hesitant about picking this up given the time that has passed since launch. Is this noob friendly? I have plenty of experience in WoW, LotRO, EQ, SWtOR.
I'm trying to go in blind, but I haven't played enough to really give an answer to this.

grimmiq

Curious to know how many (if any) here are on Hyperion (Legacy), haven't played in months and thinking about starting up again.

Ken

Yeah. Only difference now is that not as many people run the world events for leveling anymore which is fine because dungeon XP has been boosted and there are always people running them.

You'll still find people around to progress the story with, and you'll also find groups looking for people to run end game stuff with too, if that's what you're asking.

Sophia

This isn't really much of an issue. Everyone is doing alt classes, so you'll be able to jump in anytime. Just find a good Free Company (guild) like the GAF Guild on Ultros.

Marceles

1. Yes PC and PS3/PS4 sales are separate so you'll need to purchase again. It's playable on PS3, but to do the huge battles you might want to play on PC. But storyline stuff up to when you get your relic weapon is possible on PS3.

2. You shouldn't have any trouble hopping in and getting used to everything. In fact, people complain about it being too easy as far as FFXI vs FFXIV difficulty comparisons go. You shouldn't have trouble doing everything you need to do and the GAF FC usually helps members who are stuck on a certain part.

Nose Master

It's real easy except for literally the last dungeon (and EM Primals.) The spikes there are kind of ridiculous, though.

Once you memorize the pattern of the EM primals, those fights are...easier.

Twintania gets easier once you beat it once...not that I would know!

And if you join Ultrosgaf, I'm more than happy to help you in dungeons.

1) As already mentioned above, if you want to play with PC/PS3, you need to buy a copy of the game for each. Once the PS4 version is fully launched, PS3 owners get to switch to PS4 version for free but you won't be able to play the PS3 version again.

I'd say that it is playable on the PS3 apart from having to turn the effects down for bigger fights.

2) It depends. I've found that there are usually people patient and willing to help (especially within the Free Company) but not everyone you come across in the game will be like that. That's why with higher level content most people suggest asking the Free Company/Linkshell you belong to or using Party Finder rather than Duty Finder.

omlet

Twintania gets easier once you beat it once...not that I would know!

In theory, anyway.

Got 11th kill with my group last night and it took over an hour. Two weeks ago we one-shot it and last week it was only like 2 warmup wipes before we won.

Attempt 1: I don't even remember, I think we died at snakes or right after
Attempt 2: Warrior disconnects at divebombs
Attempt 3: I ran a liquid hell at a bad angle, misjudged cone range and got hit with plummet, distracted healers, warrior soaking bombs was next liquid hell target, chaos, tank died to DS at 5%
Attempt 4: Bad timing on last conflag before divebombs, blm stuck while we dodged divebombs, died, bad transition
Attempt 5: Somehow the conflag I (and tank) was in exploded
Attempt 6: Both healers went boom on first twister
Attempt 7: Three people knocked around (but not killed) by divebombs, tank died to snakes
Attempt 8: Warrior ran on top of me during twisters, exploded both of us and tank

We won soon after that but geez lol...

As an i89 SMN, what should my dps be at? At least on average.

I'm not sure what parser he was using and I don't parse our runs but my static's WHM also has i90 SMN so I often heal turns 2 and 4 so he can play his SMN. He said that combined with garuda he was doing over 400 DPS on miniADS in turn 2 last night, that was with raging strikes but without Foe Requiem I think. Your single target combined damage with garuda should be around 300 minimum with that level of gear...but it does depend on the parser. Worry more about the gap between you+garuda and other DPS rather than about the gap between 0 and whatever raw number a parser gives you.

Man getting a crafting skill up to lvl 20 so I can attach materia to shit is such a drag...is there any way to speed this up so it doesn't bore me to death? I miss punching things.

dramatis

Man getting a crafting skill up to lvl 20 so I can attach materia to shit is such a drag...is there any way to speed this up so it doesn't bore me to death? I miss punching things.
You can ask someone else to attach a materia for you...? No story quests I think of require materia melding, why can't you just drop the crafting and go back to punching?

You need to have the crafting level at the same as the equipment you want to meld to, so if you don't like it now it's better to stop and just ask someone to meld it for you because you'll have to get to 50 before you meld any worthwhile materia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom